Any One Else care About Getting Off Ship

IJustWantToGo36

On the roll calls, everyone is running around trying to book tours and make plans.

Are there others that feel that they don't want to stress planning an excursion, you enjoy staying on an empty ship and a 90 min+ bus or van ride

to a tourist spot sounds like torture?

Like to hear your comments.

PS_ is ther a way to edit thread title? Should say Not getting off ship

Edited by IJustWantToGo36

On the roll calls, everyone is running around trying to book tours and make plans.

Are there others that feel that they don't want to stress planning an excursion, you enjoy staying on an empty ship and a 90 min+ bus or van ride

Shore excursions are an integral reason why many (most?) cruisers choose this type of vacation, visiting different countries and getting to experience them for at least a few hours. There's no unwritten rule that says you have to, however, so if you'd prefer to remain aboard, do so and enjoy it. The great thing about cruises is that you can tailor them to suit your individual tastes.

You could also consider staying in a resort if visiting multiple ports/countries doesn't appeal to you.

Depends on the port, and cruise itinerary.

We been to the Carribbean many times. After seeing a banana plantation, coffee plantation. water falls, rum factories and etc it got to the point that they all look the same. Dont need anymore booze cruises either. All the ports now have basically the same stores.

We may get off just to get off the ship and walk around but we don't take anymore tours or buy anything. We paid for the cruise and we enjoy the ship. If we want a drink many times it is cheaper on the ship than sitting at Senior frogs and also more comfortable.

.🎅🎄

Depends on the itinerary. On a port intensive Caribbean cruise we might stay onboard at one of the ports we've been to multiple times. On a Mediterranean cruise there is no way I'd stay onboard.

I don't find planning excursions to be stressful. If you book private tours you often deal with large bus loads of people. The only time I've ever had an excursion that was 90 minutes to reach the destination was in Europe (and that was a very scenic drive).

Our preference is to book a cruise that has a good mix of sea days combined with port days.

Edited by lovemylab

Shore excursions are an integral reason why many (most?) cruisers choose this type of vacation, visiting different countries and getting to experience them for at least a few hours. There's no unwritten rule that says you have to, however, so if you'd prefer to remain aboard, do so and enjoy it. The great thing about cruises is that you can tailor them to suit your individual tastes.

You could also consider staying in a resort if visiting multiple ports/countries doesn't appeal to you.

Resorts are not cruise ships. I love cruising and open ocean.

Of course a med cruise is booked for the ports, but I'm talking more like TAs etc.

I am glad there are others that think like I do.

I am sensing that people that have cruised or traveled alot are more likely to ignore the ports.

On Caribbean itineraries, I enjoy the quietness of the ship on port days and remain on board. Sometimes after lunch I will decide to get off the ship for a couple of hours, just to walk around, but I am definitely not interested in any excursions. On my very first cruise I did excursions, tours, etc., and now I just treat the ship as my destination.

Resorts are not cruise ships. I love cruising and open ocean.

Of course a med cruise is booked for the ports, but I'm talking more like TAs etc.

I am glad there are others that think like I do.

I am sensing that people that have cruised or traveled alot are more likely to ignore the ports.

Without specifying a cruise, you indicate in your initial post that your roll call members are running around trying to book tours and make plans, but now you say you are talking about a TA. Not the same type of cruise at all, so it's rather hard to know what you are looking for in the way of comments.

I will never do an excursion through the cruise line again.

Having said that, I love finding something new and exciting to do.

Love doing small sails on chartered sail boats. Also like to mix up with some historical locals.

We have only been on 4 cruises so far, so we are not yet burned out on the Caribbean islands. We have been to st Thomas, st Maarten, San Juan, Barbados, st kitts, st Lucia, Nassau, key west, Cozumel, and grand Turk. Would not hesitate to do the exact same thing we have done in the past on any of the islands.

I enjoy the research. I really love cruise critic for all the insight.

The only time we stayed on the ship was a very port intensive cruise and we were just worn out.

Depends on the itinerary. On a port intensive Caribbean cruise we might stay onboard at one of the ports we've been to multiple times. On a Mediterranean cruise there is no way I'd stay onboard.

I don't find planning excursions to be stressful. If you book private tours you often deal with large bus loads of people. The only time I've ever had an excursion that was 90 minutes to reach the destination was in Europe (and that was a very scenic drive).

Our preference is to book a cruise that has a good mix of sea days combined with port days.

My view exactly! Being in FL there has been probably to many Caribbean cruises (I'm not complaining and consider myself lucky)and I don't think there is a port that we have not been to before and some of them a few too many times so we do stay on board sometimes or just take a couple hour stroll! In the Europe, SA, Asia etc we have yet to stay on board while ship was in port. For me it is never stressful planning excursions and that is part of the fun before sailing is making sure that I have explored all of our options. Back in the old days when the internet was pretty new, I booked the most wonderful 2 day tours in St Petersburg and in Ephesus (not on same cruise of course) that were so perfect in every way. Whether it was time spent researching or just dumb luck it has made me continue to look at various options even in Caribbean. We are leaving on 14 day Southern in a few days and I have booked independently in 2 ports (both adventure type) and the others we have ideas but will decide one day at a time....and there are 5 sea days between so plenty of R & R time.

It depends on the itinerary.

In Europe we're usually doing something at each port.

In the Caribbean we usually limit ourselves to just a couple "excursions" on a cruise as most start early and we don't like getting up early every day. We seldom do excursions other than day sails, or special snorkeling tours, in the Caribbean and usually just head to the beach for a couple hours mid day via taxi. On port intensive Caribbean cruises we usually pick at least one port to just stay on the ship and sometimes more than one.

Note that some ports lend themselves to formal excursions. Some are great for just heading out on your own and walking around or grabbing a taxi to get to town, the beach or a nearby attraction, and some are good for staying on the ship.

Also I noticed one poster above said they never do ship's excursions. We don't do those very often either but we never ignore them. We've found some great ship excursions and usually include them in our decision process. We would never go to a nearby beach or to nearby shopping on a ship's excursion but do consider them for day-sail opportunities, excursions to distant places and some other situations. I think it is a mistake to ignore them just because they are sold by the ship. In some cases they are less expensive and offer a better option than private alternatives. A good example is for tours to major attractions in Europe. A lot of these are far from the port and private excursions are expensive. Also a lot of private excursions to major attractions in Europe include just a driver who is not licensed to accompany you into the attraction (such as the Vatican in Rome or Pompeii near Naples) while the ship's excursions always include a licensed guide to show you around and explain things while you are there.

Edited by Lsimon

It depends on the itinerary.

In Europe we're usually doing something at each port.

In the Caribbean we usually limit ourselves to just a couple "excursions" on a cruise as most start early and we don't like getting up early every day. We seldom do excursions other than day sails, or special snorkeling tours, in the Caribbean and usually just head to the beach for a couple hours mid day via taxi. On port intensive Caribbean cruises we usually pick at least one port to just stay on the ship and sometimes more than one.

Note that some ports lend themselves to formal excursions. Some are great for just heading out on your own and walking around or grabbing a taxi to get to town, the beach or a nearby attraction, and some are good for staying on the ship.

Also I noticed one poster above said they never do ship's excursions. We don't do those very often either but we never ignore them. We've found some great ship excursions and usually include them in our decision process. We would never go to a nearby beach or to nearby shopping on a ship's excursion but do consider them for day-sail opportunities, excursions to distant places and some other situations. I think it is a mistake to ignore them just because they are sold by the ship. In some cases they are less expensive and offer a better option than private alternatives. A good example is for tours to major attractions in Europe. A lot of these are far from the port and private excursions are expensive. Also a lot of private excursions to major attractions in Europe include just a driver who is not licensed to accompany you into the attraction (such as the Vatican in Rome or Pompeii near Naples) while the ship's excursions always include a licensed guide to show you around and explain things while you are there.

Great post Larry, sounds like we think alike.

On our recent B2B cruise we had 12 ports of call, we used a ship's tour at 2 ports, had a CC tour organised for 3 ports, organised our own tour at 3 ports, and just got off and wandered at the last 4 (2 of these were repeat ports).:D

In the Caribbean, we either stay onboard or just grab a cab to the beach. BTDT, so we aren't really interested in excursions anymore.

If we went somewhere new and interesting, no doubt we'd be interested in excursions, too.

I think that I look at cruises a little bit differently than most; I use them kind of like a "sampler" the few I have been on were all to different parts of Europe, it is the least expensive way to get a little taste of a LOT of different places, all while sleeping and dining on (in) a 4+ star hotel. I'm using this "sampler" to see as many places as possible so that I can go back and spend significant amount of time when I'm older/retired (that's the goal anyway).

So I do tend to lean towards port heavy itineraries, and get off at every port to see as much as I can.

With that said, if it is a port that I have been to and don't particularly care for than I would have no issue enjoying the big ship with 1/4 of the amount of people.

Edited by Br00klyn102

Let everyone get off, then I have the ship to myself. Can't count the number of times I rushed off the ship like everyone else. Now I let everyone rush, while I sit in Cafe Al Bacio and enjoy a late. No lines ,no standing in the hot sun waiting for the tour bus, not rushing back because I am afraid I will miss a meal.

If sightseeing is your thing, please enjoy, my thing is relaxing on the ship. Now if something strikes my fancy I may get off.

Different strokes for different folks.

Norma

My main reason for loving cruising. After so much work travel airline to hotel and back again and repeat, I like being lazy but still someplace new every day to look at from my "hotel" room! And free booze and food too! No need to get off every port at all for me, I like the ship itself.

I've never stayed on board, but in five Caribbean cruises we've only been to three ports more than once - Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize. We've always found something different to do each time, either with cruiseline run shore excursions or tours we took with companies hanging around outside the ports.

I've always enjoyed catamaran/sailboat snorkelling excursions, especially when they end with an open bar on the way back to port. We usually do one of those per cruise.

That being said, there's no law saying you have to leave the ship.

On a related topic, has anyone ever gone on a "nowhere" cruise, where ships simply sail without stopping in any ports? I wondered if they were some sort of urban myth, but my cousin (a travel agent) assures me they exist. You never see them advertised.

According to my cousin they're rather expensive because they use fuel literally for the entire cruise.

If anyone can enlighten us, what was it like? How long was it? I assume they have a much older crowd. Do they? Would you do it again?

Pray tell!

This the the kind of question that is entirely dependant on destination. The carribean is only one small area of the world that cruise ships stop, albeit probably the most heavily concentrated. Given my home country only has seasonal cruise ship visits of the lines I want to cruise, I don't have the luxury of jumping on a cheap cruise for 7 days that goes just down the road so to speak, so cruising isn't a saturated thing where I end up going to the same place over and over. So cruising for me is about the ports, and visiting new places. There may be times where a port isn't super appealing and we may get of for a bit to explore then back on the ship, but otherwise I think with the type of itineraries we will always do, we will always get of the ship.

I think that I look at cruises a little bit differently than most; I use them kind of like a "sampler" the few I have been on were all to different parts of Europe, it is the least expensive way to get a little taste of a LOT of different places, all while sleeping and dining on (in) a 4+ star hotel. I'm using this "sampler" to see as many places as possible so that I can go back and spend significant amount of time when I'm older/retired (that's the goal anyway).
I found your post to be one of the most interesting because our approach has been exactly the opposite of yours.

When we were young and energetic, we took a lot of land trips to Europe for our vacations and loved traveling around on our own, spending more time at each location, experiencing different types of accommodations, and eating where the locals ate.

We spent our vacations over many years doing a combination of organized land tours and touring on our own.

We were not too crazy about cruises back then, because you only get a short time here and a short time there.

It took a lot more research and planning to travel on our own than simply planning to go on a cruise, but we enjoyed it all, even when things did not go exactly the way we had planned.

In fact, some of the unexpected experiences are the ones that turned out to be the most memorable.

Now that we are older, we prefer the ease of cruising, not having to plan where we will stay each night or where to go for meals or needing to figure out how we will get from here to there.

On land tours, you must get yourself out of bed and packed and on the bus or train, even if you are not in the mood or feeling rotten or simply want to sleep in that morning. We found that a lot easier when we were younger.

Maybe we are getting soft and/or lazy as we age, but we just don't have the energy that we had in our twenties and thirties.

Now we enjoy the pampering we get on cruise ships and appreciate it more than we ever did when we were younger.

We now love sea days where we get to do as much or as little as we like, or nothing at all.

In Europe, we still want to get off the ship at every port and go exploring, either on an excursion or on our own.

But realistically, some of the great European cities, like Rome and Paris, are located too far from the nearest cruise port to be considered reasonable for a day trip from a cruise ship, IMHO.

They really are much better visited on a land trip, or as an embarkation or disembarkation location where you can spend some meaningful time there before or after the cruise.

At Caribbean ports though, after so many beaches and rain forests and hours spent on catamarans, we are often content just to take the lazy approach and remain on the ship, or get off briefly and walk around the port area, or pick up a tour at the last minute, as the mood strikes us.

We often kid that in the years ahead we would like to join the ranks of older retired people who spend their time on cruise ships instead of in a retirement home.