would you take a 10:40 am flight out of fll or 7:15 pm, if there was no other choice

beachchairs2

10:40am flight out of fll or 7:15 pm if there is no other choice  

217 members have voted

1. 1. 10:40am flight out of fll or 7:15 pm if there is no other choice

• 10:40am
    • 715 pm

you are at the mercy of US immigration and customs. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes you feel like you may miss a 7PM flight. 10:40am is really cutting it close, IMHO.

I agree. I've seen some really nasty disembarcations in Ft. Lauderdale. And read about a lot more on these boards.

I would hate to end my cruise with that sort of stress. I would take the Everglades excursion which keeps your luggage on the bus and eventually delivers you to FLL.

For us, since we work and would want to get back home, and get somewhat organized, I would choose to "self disembark" at 7:00am (or whatever time the ship is due to arrive) try to be among the first off the ship, carry my own luggage, take a cab, etc and should .... if the ship is on time, if customs is easy, etc ...... be at FLL in plenty of time to make the flight.

If you choose not to self disembark, then you are at the added mercy of the ship being on time, the ship to call your number to disembark, the ship to have your luggage ready for your pick up, customs, and ready taxis.

On the other hand if we were retired, I would plan something fun and take the later flight.

We just took a 10:40 out if San Juan off of the Summit. We did the early self debarktation at 7:00am. We were off the ship at 7:05 and in the airport about 7:20. The desk for our flight didn't even open until 8:45 so we had to stand in line forever waiting.

We had no idea the process would all go so quickly.

If you choose not to self disembark, then you are at the added mercy of the ship being on time.

I'm not sure how self disembarkers avoid the problem of the ship not being on time. Do they jump overboard and swim ashore with their luggage? :D

We just took a 10:40 out if San Juan off of the Summit. We did the early self debarktation at 7:00am. We were off the ship at 7:05 and in the airport about 7:20. The desk for our flight didn't even open until 8:45 so we had to stand in line forever waiting.

San Juan is very different. Ships arrive much earlier and they list debark starting at 6:00 am. There are also only a couple ships in port. Nothing like Oasis or Allure. In San Juan line recommends no flight before 10am, in Ft Lauderdale it's noon and there has been talk of changing that to 1pm.

Fort Lauderdale has had issues the last year or so with it taking hours for people to get off the ships, even walk offs.

My question to the OP is what day of the week. If it's a Saturday or Sunday, there is no way I would ever consider the 10:40 flight. It will also matter the size of ship the OP is getting off.

We recently had a similar decision 10:50 am vs 4pm. We are taking the 4:00

stay overnight --have a nice stress free day & make the earlier flight following day..

hanging around is a drag...hard to really make the day work out well although some do things with car rentals, luggage etc.

i'd be way too nervous to make the earlier flight same day-- maybe it works most of the time, but you can never know...one immig issue having nothing to do with you and that's the end of the plan!

we made great time off Oasis but we had Valet luggage express, and they just let us get off whenever we were ready....very lucky but it was better to hang around for a late afternoon flight than be stressed out all day... & luggage valet not always offered esp. for early flights..even they know it is tough !

as mentioned before - a lot depends on which day you arrive back in port and what other ships are there at the same time.

in March we had a 1:00 flight out of FLL on Sunday- took our time getting off and it was definitely a zoo at customs. There were 4 lines of people and only 3 agents - our line was one that was alternating with the 1 agent.

also the luggage disbursement was crazy. Our luggage was placed in an area that basically forced us to cut in line in front of other people who had already got their luggage. There was no way we could have gotten back to our proper place in line, therefore we were delaying people who had gotten off the ship before us.

we had plenty of time to make our flight but I saw some really nervous people checking their watch.

be sure and self-embark if you choose to take a chance...

We had the same issue on our upcoming cruise, and decided on the later flight. We purchased a day pass for our airlines business lounge, and will ad least have some peace and quiet to relive the cruise, or watch some football

Customs in FLL can be horrible. Why chance it.

We have made it every time and there has been a lot of times that we have returned home from the FTL airport after a cruse. Miami, however, is a different situation! We self-disembark, grab a cab and we are at the airport in no time. However, I always print my boarding passes the day before while on the ship. That way you can check your luggage at the outdoor location and walk to boarding.

If you miss the flight, you can always check on stand-by for a later flight or if you used Choice Air, they should be able to help you as that's what they are there for.

poll

1. 10:40 am

2. 7:15 pm

I think it depends on whether or not you want to get home early or late. I think if you did self-debarkation at 7 a.m. you'd be fine to make a 10:40. But I would check in online while still on the ship so they don't give away your seats if you're running late. If your only other choice is 7:15 p.m, I think I would stay overnight and take the 10:40 the next morning.

I would put the odds at 80/20 in favor of being able to make the earlier flight, all things considered. So the question is - what would you do if you were in the 20%? Are there seats on a later flight? What kind of change fee would you incur and is it worth it to you?

As has been said by numerous posters on other threads, including myself, it is of no consequence if others tell you they make it all the time. We have been delayed in FLL where disembarkation did not even start until after 9:30. It happens. Is it actually 20%, or is it 10%, or is it 25%? Who knows. We have also had the airline change our flight time, in one case bumping it up more than half an hour when we already were concerned about making a flight - we ended up running through the airport and literally were the last passengers on the plane. It all boils down to your appetite for risk and what is an acceptable back-up plan.

So let me understand this....if you do miss your flight for any of a number of reasons, are you planning on showing the airline this thread and say that some thought you'd make it?

Obviously, there is a risk and the outcome of this poll really doesn't change that risk.

I agree. I've seen some really nasty disembarcations in Ft. Lauderdale. And read about a lot more on these boards.

I would hate to end my cruise with that sort of stress. I would take the Everglades excursion which keeps your luggage on the bus and eventually delivers you to FLL.

Which is what my wife and i are doing. We have a flight that leaves at about 5:00. No need to have the stress.

We are doing the same thing in feb from the Summit with 10:40 flight on AA so we would like to know more about your experience please. Did you have trouble re elevators, customs, agricultural inspection at airport, where did you go on the ship (special meeting place?)to start the process besides letting customer service know of your flight plans ! It is obvious it all worked out for you guys but please detail the process for us

Many other variable to consider IMHO,

Are you an 'elite' ff on the airline you are flying? My main issue at FLL is the check in lines on Sat. but being an elite allows you to bypass what is often a half hour or more wait- so for me it would be take the 10 40 for sure by doing a walk off and having a car or cab waiting.

are you stuck buying an expensive ticket if you miss your flight? If so why gamble. I can usuually book a back up award ticket fo a later flight to protect me and if not used simply cancel it.

Most likely if you plan on the later flight you would still get to the airport before 11 which means 7 or 8 hours to kill. Not fun even at an airport lounge. In that case I think I would find a hotel with shuttle, have a swim, enjoy a nice dinner and a good night sleep. Good luck.

We have disembarked at FLL as late as 7:45 and still made a flight around 9-9:30. NO sweat. If we had missed it, we'd have gone stand by for the next one until we finally connected. Once the cruise is over, there's only one place I want to be and that's HOME. In fact, more and more, I hate to leave home, as I have pretty much seen the world as a young man and have no need to try to make up for lost time as an old man. Plus, taking a late flight means getting home after dark, sometimes in less than optimum conditions. No thanks.

Edited by BosoxI

We have disembarked at FLL as late as 7:45 and still made a flight around 9-9:30. NO sweat. If we had missed it, we'd have gone stand by for the next one until we finally connected. Once the cruise is over, there's only one place I want to be and that's HOME. In fact, more and more, I hate to leave home, as I have pretty much seen the world as a young man and have no need to try to make up for lost time as an old man. Plus, taking a late flight means getting home after dark, sometimes in less than optimum conditions. No thanks.

I guess that is what makes the world go round then.....you hate to

leave home?:eek: Must mean you hate traveling and cruising?:confused:

I love it and I take the flights all in stride and as a part of my trip.:)

Then again, I have not seen most of the world and being home?

If I could travel the world? I would do it in a heartbeat:D.

Different strokes for different folks:)