SPA Cabins - here are the facts

doublebzz

On a recent transatlantic, I was assigned a SPA cabin(Category VQ) on Nieuw Amsterdam. Not having any knowledge of what these particular cabins have to offer, I solicited comments on these boards. The few responses I received were wildly conflicting so let me provide the facts for anyone interested. First of all, these cabins are the most expensive within their categories. So, what do you get for the premium price? The cabins are equipped with a desk-top mini water fountain, a yoga mat, ipad dock and 5 bottles of water. That's it as far as SPA amenities go. The cabins themselves are the same size as other verandas but the balcony width is about half the size of regular veranda cabins; there is room for 2 chairs affixed sideways. I found the area to be quite quiet but the cabin subject to noticeable vibration at certain speeds. For those who feal proximity to the Crow's Nest and the SPA/Gym is essential, the location is great. For myself who likes the Seaview pool at the aft of the ship and who takes most meals in the MDR, I had to walk the length of the ship 2 or 3 times a day. Finally, the nomenclature of "SPA" cabin is certainly misleading. A reasonable person would assume these cabins had some sort of interrelationship to the SPA; perhaps use of the thermal pool or discounted SPA packages, etc. Outside of proximity, it had no relationship to the SPA. So, do I think its worth paying a premium for these cabins? Absolutely not. Apparently, I am not alone in my thinking. None of these cabins were sold as of two weeks before sailing. I'm sure that was why I was "upgraded" from category VH to VQ.

On a recent transatlantic, I was assigned a SPA cabin(Category VQ) on Nieuw Amsterdam. Not having any knowledge of what these particular cabins have to offer, I solicited comments on these boards. The few responses I received were wildly conflicting so let me provide the facts for anyone interested. First of all, these cabins are the most expensive within their categories. So, what do you get for the premium price? The cabins are equipped with a desk-top mini water fountain, a yoga mat, ipad dock and 5 bottles of water. That's it as far as SPA amenities go. The cabins themselves are the same size as other verandas but the balcony width is about half the size of regular veranda cabins; there is room for 2 chairs affixed sideways. I found the area to be quite quiet but the cabin subject to noticeable vibration at certain speeds. For those who feal proximity to the Crow's Nest and the SPA/Gym is essential, the location is great. For myself who likes the Seaview pool at the aft of the ship and who takes most meals in the MDR, I had to walk the length of the ship 2 or 3 times a day. Finally, the nomenclature of "SPA" cabin is certainly misleading. A reasonable person would assume these cabins had some sort of interrelationship to the SPA; perhaps use of the thermal pool or discounted SPA packages, etc. Outside of proximity, it had no relationship to the SPA. So, do I think its worth paying a premium for these cabins? Absolutely not. Apparently, I am not alone in my thinking. None of these cabins were sold as of two weeks before sailing. I'm sure that was why I was "upgraded" from category VH to VQ.

Is VQ on the 10th or 11th deck ?

In the re-assigning of categories, are these cabins still holding the higher place in the pecking order, or with smaller balconies, were they downgraded?

Somehow the idea of using someone else's yoga mat- a community mat, just grosses me out. I bring a lightweight travel one along.

In the re-assigning of categories, are these cabins still holding the higher place in the pecking order, or with smaller balconies, were they downgraded?

I'm not sure when the reassignment takes place. For next April's Transatlantic on NA, HAL still shows VQ cabins as the most costly in the veranda category.

What misinformation was reported? I've had one of these cabins and I know I've reported what you wrote. I'm fine with being assigned one of these cabins. Best not to book a guarantee if you are not.

As an example, a few responders indicated that the SPA cabin occupants would have daily access to the thermal suite after 6pm. When I queried the SPA manager about this, she indicated I could sample the thermal suite after 8pm on the day of embarkation only. Great! Dinner or the thermal spa. There was also confusion about the veranda size, particularly confusion about the NA and Eurodam deck plans. And why is it that I have to justify to you what I wrote and be preached to about booking guarantees?

I'm not sure when the reassignment takes place. For next April's Transatlantic on NA, HAL still shows VQ cabins as the most costly in the veranda category.
The NAdam's change date is 4/16/14 and the Edam's is 3/30/14. There is no change in categories for the deck 10 and 11 cabins on either ship.

IMO the top category verandah cabins on these ships should be the ones on deck 8 between the bends with 7 foot deep balconies, 8027 to 8117. Instead these will become VA, with the higher priced V being those on deck 5 with just 4.5 foot balconies! :eek:

Edited by catl331

We are two of those people who adored the VQ we were upgraded to from a VF on Eurodam. Here's what I wrote in my review at the time:

Our cabin, VQ 10015, was just right. We loved the smaller balcony as it puts you closer to the water breaking under the bow. . The sound was amazing. We were under Explorations Cafe, so no noise. Crows Nest was also just up one flight. Lido and breakfast one floor down as was the spa. Only hike was MDR. We could walk outside across to just under Tamarind. For us the location really rocked.

We probably wouldn't pay for one, but it was the perfect upgrade for us. Yes, it was a bit smaller, but the proportions were just right. I know we each have our oun preferences, but I wanted to express why we loved it.

We had an upsell on the Nautica from an Oceanview to a Spa Verandah cabin. I really didn't care if it was a spa cabin but we were happy to get the balcony so we took it as it was a good deal for us. I would never pay extra for just being in a spa cabin because there was nothing extra that was worth anything in my estimation. The amenities are as mentioned above and it is almost laughable that HAL would try to make these appear to be premium cabins with extra amenities. We loved the cruise and the cabin was just fine but the spa amenities were pretty worthless as far as we were concerned. The little fountain just took up counter space. If they would offer spa passes or vouchers for fitness classes, that might make these cabin more desirable and worth the extra fare.

We had an upsell on the Nautica from an Oceanview to a Spa Verandah cabin. I really didn't care if it was a spa cabin but we were happy to get the balcony so we took it as it was a good deal for us. I would never pay extra for just being in a spa cabin because there was nothing extra that was worth anything in my estimation. The amenities are as mentioned above and it is almost laughable that HAL would try to make these appear to be premium cabins with extra amenities. We loved the cruise and the cabin was just fine but the spa amenities were pretty worthless as far as we were concerned. The little fountain just took up counter space. If they would offer spa passes or vouchers for fitness classes, that might make these cabin more desirable and worth the extra fare.

Which dam ship is the Nautica?:confused:

Thank you for taking the time to explain about what amenities that you actually get with a "Spa" cabin.

Wonderful information.

We were also upgraded from a verandah guarantee to cabin 10022 on the Eurodam. The "fountain" was not operational, nor was the one in our friends cabin next door, and IMHO it took up valuable desk top area space that I could have made much better use of! The free waters were nice and we used them. We did not use the rest of the spa items...I would bet very few do!

We loved the location of the cabin as we could pop up one floor to the Explorations Cafe' or very close by to the buffet and pools. The elevators and stairs are close by as well, which we liked. We had absolutely no noise or vibrations of any sort.

Doesn't sound like much of a deal, I guess thats why they are not selling very good. How much extra were those 5 bottles of water if one paid regular price?

They had vitamin water and I can't recall the price of that. They also had Voss water and I'm pretty sure that was $8. Liked the bottle so much I carted it home:D. Those were the good old days when I took 2 suitcases.

Doesn't sound like much of a deal, I guess thats why they are not selling very good. How much extra were those 5 bottles of water if one paid regular price?

If one computes the differential between a veranda guarantee and a VQ cabin, it worked out to about $125 a bottle.