When are the dining changes going to happen?

ThreeYellowLabs

I can see them maybe putting new tables and chairs in the dining room and getting rid of the tablecloths. They will probably say it is better for the environment. Less laundry. Still give cloth napkins to make it a little nice. I will come back to the boards after our cruise on the Legend in 18 days and give any updates.

Thanks for the link. Not much info there but at least they seemed to liek the entertainment.

I'll lay low and see how the reviews come in.

I really enjoy a more formal (I don't mean tux formal, but linens formal) atmosphere in the mdr. I am not a buffet person...so I really wouldn't enjoy a very casual thing in the mdr. (I don't like too formal either....I think there is a 'just right' balance. It's the balance Carnival has always had) I am waiting to hear exactly what changes are happening there as well. I hope they are good changes. I will keep an open mind about the lack of linenes until I know exactly what they are replacing that with.

I'm not food fussy. I get that they are serving thousands at a time, so I don't excpect perfection in food, but the atmosphere means a lot to me....we'll see what the changes are.

The thing that scares me is that there are likely enough people that sail CCL that wouldn't mind a VERY casual dining room. Not as casual as that, but maybe too casual for me.

We share your thoughts on the MDR experience. While we have enjoyed it always, it is (for a frequent cruiser), somewhat old. I get taht.

I definately get the impression that Carnival is still trying to make cruising on Carnival what their buying public wants. To be honest, that scares me more than a little.

They are focused on getting crusie fares back to where they really need to be. I don't sense they will do anything "way out there" but some here may think what they will do is to far. We will see. They are really in somewhat of a pickle in how to maintain market share in a market where their main competition (NCL and RCCL) are bludgeoning the market with new ships.

Not to go off topic, but I did meet Sam the butcher from the Brady Bunch once.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I have been following this thread and having a great laugh. You are all quite funny. Made my day:) Thanks!!!

In our case we are becoming more and more disappointed in the entertainment.

will be seeing the playlist production shows for first time in Feb and dont expect much out of it based on reviews we have been reading.

Hopefully the forthcoming changes, as reported by my butcher and his asst Jimbo, will lead to much better entertainment.

In our case we are becoming more and more disappointed in the entertainment.

will be seeing the playlist production shows for first time in Feb and dont expect much out of it based on reviews we have been reading.

Hopefully the forthcoming changes, as reported by my butcher and his asst Jimbo, will lead to much better entertainment.

Asst in training...but I don't really get into titles anymore.....:confused:

I'm with you on that.

As to eating with strangers.....do any of you remember when Carnival asked your occupation on your information. They then tried to seat you with people of the same ages and occupations. In 1993, we sat at a table with nursing home owners (I was a consultant for nursing homes). In 1994 we were seated with law enforcement officers. (DH is in law administration.) Those conversations were way too much. After all, we are there to relax...not work. One of the nursing home owners was after me all week to move to Minnesota and work for him. I do like sitting with others at dinner, but this was a bit too much! :eek:

We normally travel in groups. So, the dining experience of tablemates rarely comes up for us. That said, we have had some experiences. On the Ecstasy, we were with 3 other couples. It was a 5 day cruise and one husband came drunker (is that a word?) and drunker eavey evening, until the last he snored through the meal. Presented some conversation stumbling blocks.:confused:

While they're in there they need to come up with a new adjective to replace brilliant.

lol! This whole thread has been brilliant! Btw, "brilliant" is just British slang for "cool" - it's not quite the brilliant meaning we Americans are used to.

You can imagine my disappointment when I learned that my British boss saying everything I did was "brilliant" was really only "cool." :eek:

lol! This whole thread has been brilliant! Btw, "brilliant" is just British slang for "cool" - it's not quite the brilliant meaning we Americans are used to.

." :eek:

LMAO.

I think most of us are aware that it is British...and that there is a different meaning for it, but I don't know if you're aware that Carnival's idea of

'Brilliant' sometimes winds up to be neither intelligent NOR cool...LOL:p:p:p

Just hang around..... :D

Edited by halos

LMAO.

I think most of us are aware that it is British...and that there is a different meaning for it, but I don't know if you're aware that Carnival's idea of

'Brilliant' sometimes winds up to be neither intelligent NOR cool...LOL:p:p:p

Just hang around..... :D

JH knows that most of us Yankees think he means outstanding and wonderful when he says brilliant.

Hope not. That change would ultimately kill the community feel. Then it's just a bunch of people on a boat.

I personally don't go on a cruise for a "community" and that "bunch of people on a boat" are strangers to me unless they came with me. I prefer a smaller community of "friends and family" to a community of "strangers" when I dine. To each his own though. I would have no problem with them going freestyle but I know the traditionalists and social butterflies won't like it.

If what we saw for the stockholder and naming event is a clue, than some changes are coming. Some forms def had a more rock (albeit classic and 80's) them and some country. There also seemed to be interaction with magicians (subbing in and going from one venue to another). I don't know if that is a one off or an inclination of something new. The entertainment seemed to have just gotten on for the cruise the next day.

We had a magician visit our table at dinner a couple of times in the MDR and at brunch in the AFT MDR on CCL Freedom this past August.

I personally don't go on a cruise for a "community" and that "bunch of people on a boat" are strangers to me unless they came with me. I prefer a smaller community of "friends and family" to a community of "strangers" when I dine. To each his own though. I would have no problem with them going freestyle but I know the traditionalists and social butterflies won't like it.

My thoughts exactly... And reading through some of the comments on this thread make me glad that I'm not sharing a table with them :eek:

Me too. That Magician MADE our cruise. I believe his name was Pablo.

Funny that you mentioned that now. JH just posted this a minute ago

John Heald

Can you tell me what you think of our table magicians? I don't see too many comments about them here or on my blog so I wonder if it is something that you enjoy.

Personally I think they are very talented and I'm amazed at some of the things they do. Let me know your thoughts and I hope you get to see one up close very soon

Cheers

Funny that you mentioned that now. JH just posted this a minute ago

John Heald

Can you tell me what you think of our table magicians? I don't see too many comments about them here or on my blog so I wonder if it is something that you enjoy.

Personally I think they are very talented and I'm amazed at some of the things they do. Let me know your thoughts and I hope you get to see one up close very soon

Cheers

We have seen some excellent ones. On our last cruise he did a special show in the back lounge one day and unfortunately only a few people came. Made a point to write to JH and compliment him on JH's blog.

Being somewhat a 'social butterfly', I like to meet people on a cruise...on my terms, not forced into dinner with people that CCL selects for me every night.

ATD is perfect...you can dine alone if you choose or if you meet people on the ship and want to have dinner with them, you can. It's a win-win for extroverts and introverts.:)

I think some people are just so used to traditional dining, that the switch is hard. The first time I cruised on NCL, I wasn't at all fond of that type of dining, but after that first cruise and I tried it again, I wondered why I didn't like it the first tiem. Now I'm hooked on it.

Switching to ATD would in no way remove the community feel of the ship. It just means you have to talk to people on your own to meet them because you aren't being forced to at a table.

My only issue with ATD is that if you do want a table for two, it's not really a table for 2. They put the tables for two so close to each other that it's impossible to feel like you are dining alone. This bothers me a bit.

Edited by halos

Hope not. That change would ultimately kill the community feel. Then it's just a bunch of people on a boat.

Unless it's a chartered cruise for people with something in common....it is just a bunch of people on a boat.

I don't sit with strangers in restaurants on land. Why would I want to do this at sea?

In addition, there are so many other areas where you can meet people....I never understood why people think "the MDR" is the place to do this.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Unless it's a chartered cruise for people with something in common....it is just a bunch of people on a boat.

I don't sit with strangers in restaurants on land. Why would I want to do this at sea?

In addition, there are so many other areas where you can meet people....I never understood why people think "the MDR" is the place to do this.

I don't know of anyone who goes in a restaurant and asks to be seated with strangers. The MDR traditional seatings are just that, tradition. While CCL has made many changes since we 1st cruised with them in 1995, some we like and some not, it may just be time to go with total YTD for all. We shall see.

Being somewhat a 'social butterfly', I like to meet people on a cruise...on my terms, not forced into dinner with people that CCL selects for me every night.

ATD is perfect...you can dine alone if you choose or if you meet people on the ship and want to have dinner with them, you can. It's a win-win for extroverts and introverts.:)

I think some people are just so used to traditional dining, that the switch is hard. The first time I cruised on NCL, I wasn't at all fond of that type of dining, but after that first cruise and I tried it again, I wondered why I didn't like it the first tiem. Now I'm hooked on it.

Switching to ATD would in no way remove the community feel of the ship. It just means you have to talk to people on your own to meet them because you aren't being forced to at a table.

My only issue with ATD is that if you do want a table for two, it's not really a table for 2. They put the tables for two so close to each other that it's impossible to feel like you are dining alone. This bothers me a bit.

I often wondered why those who say they prefer Traditional Dining so they can meet new people and make new friends didn't prefer ATD. With ATD if you met new people that you liked to hang out with at the bar or shows or anywhere else on the ship then you would be able to go to dinner with them....if you had traditional you couldn't. I think if were a social person, I would still want to hang out with people I choose, those I met and became friends with at other venues and not the people the cruise line chose for me. If one were truly social, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to strike up those friendships in other venues than just the MDR.

I often wondered why those who say they prefer Traditional Dining so they can meet new people and make new friends didn't prefer ATD. With ATD if you met new people that you liked to hang out with at the bar or shows or anywhere else on the ship then you would be able to go to dinner with them....if you had traditional you couldn't. I think if were a social person, I would still want to hang out with people I choose, those I met and became friends with at other venues and not the people the cruise line chose for me. If one were truly social, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to strike up those friendships in other venues than just the MDR.

I think to be fair that not everyone has to like the MDR. My wife and made friends with another couple on the ship and ended up with them in other venues and yes we well I am the social butterfly and made friends with people in the hot tub. So yes it can be both things and I have sat with couples who wanted to keep to them selves. Every night we would still be present to each other but other than that no other communication. And it was fine. If you like ATD go for it prefer the traditional cruise service than that's awesome too, but don't take away my right to chose what I want to do. Don't the little differences get in the way. Set up to have a good time and that's it.

So going back to the tablecloths and the current tables in the MDR, perhaps they might go to the method of putting the tablecloth on the table, and then cover it with plexiglass or something like that? Covers up the nasty tables so they don't have to be replaced, need to wash the linens much less, etc.