When are the dining changes going to happen?

ThreeYellowLabs

I often wondered why those who say they prefer Traditional Dining so they can meet new people and make new friends didn't prefer ATD. With ATD if you met new people that you liked to hang out with at the bar or shows or anywhere else on the ship then you would be able to go to dinner with them....if you had traditional you couldn't. I think if were a social person, I would still want to hang out with people I choose, those I met and became friends with at other venues and not the people the cruise line chose for me. If one were truly social, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to strike up those friendships in other venues than just the MDR.

We like traditional dining for a number of reasons including it is nice to get to know other people over the course of the cruise and talk about how your days was and plans for the next day. We have had good luck with tablemates over the years.

Do find it easier to become friends with tablemates as opposed to people say you sit next to in a lounge.

We like traditional dining for a number of reasons including it is nice to get to know other people over the course of the cruise and talk about how your days was and plans for the next day. We have had good luck with tablemates over the years.

Do find it easier to become friends with tablemates as opposed to people say you sit next to in a lounge.

I agree. I personally don't care for ATD due to the fact that everytime we have tried it, it has been a disaster.

On NCL, the wait was always 45 minutes or longer. Then last year on Princess, one night was mandatory ATD, we were seated and then never served...not even water. Had to get the maitre'd after a half an hour for us to get service and then the service was pitiful.

Not a fan of ATD at all!

I agree. I personally don't care for ATD due to the fact that everytime we have tried it, it has been a disaster.

On NCL, the wait was always 45 minutes or longer. Then last year on Princess, one night was mandatory ATD, we were seated and then never served...not even water. Had to get the maitre'd after a half an hour for us to get service and then the service was pitiful.

Not a fan of ATD at all!

On our last cruise, last month on Lbierty we cruised with two other couples and the six of us had dinner together each night.

We found a serving team we liked and sat in the same table each night with times varying from 6 to 6 30 and worked fine.

If sailing by ourselves we would prefer traditional.

I don't know of anyone who goes in a restaurant and asks to be seated with strangers. The MDR traditional seatings are just that, tradition. While CCL has made many changes since we 1st cruised with them in 1995, some we like and some not, it may just be time to go with total YTD for all. We shall see.

I've only been in one restaurant that does this and it's a Chinese restaurant. They have big round tables where people just go and sit down and eat their lunch. At first it was awkward but because it was a small restaurant, it made sense. No one really chatted with any one, you ate and left. It was both YTD and sitting at a table with complete strangers.

I've only been in one restaurant that does this and it's a Chinese restaurant. They have big round tables where people just go and sit down and eat their lunch. At first it was awkward but because it was a small restaurant, it made sense. No one really chatted with any one, you ate and left. It was both YTD and sitting at a table with complete strangers.

Let me correct myself on sitting with strangers. Most Japanese Steak Houses sit people at tables, and don't start until they have a table full or close. DW and I did go to one by ourselves once and we were seated with another group.

So going back to the tablecloths and the current tables in the MDR, perhaps they might go to the method of putting the tablecloth on the table, and then cover it with plexiglass or something like that? Covers up the nasty tables so they don't have to be replaced, need to wash the linens much less, etc.

Who knows. The only reason I can think of to say no this is that probably does not represent large savings (if that was/is the driver). Changing/enhancing the MDR experience (their words) might mean a move in another direction for another reason....ie what they are doing in the steakhouse (from the tablecloth perspective...if it happens).

I disagree I'm one who just wants to sit with my family ..

That's really sad .

People have become so disconnected from one another in today's world.

We love sitting with the same group and hearing stories. It will be very sad to see something like that happen but doesn't surprise me .:(

When people had manners it was probally fun. I would rather be with my own group I have crossed my fingers many times hoping to get a private when asked or a decent group of people. I have had people that wants the table to talk on and on I have had the people with the inside jokes laughing the whole meal I have had the crusty old people that complain about everything. And I have skipped dinner just to avoid all of it at times.

When people had manners it was probally fun. I would rather be with my own group I have crossed my fingers many times hoping to get a private when asked or a decent group of people. I have had people that wants the table to talk on and on I have had the people with the inside jokes laughing the whole meal I have had the crusty old people that complain about everything. And I have skipped dinner just to avoid all of it at times.

We have generally had good luck with our table companions.

Only once in our cruising history have we changed tables to avoid anyone.

Me too. That Magician MADE our cruise. I believe his name was Pablo.

My 10 year old liked the magician but if that made my cruise I would quit cruising. The entertainment has been boring. I have seen the same shows on diffent ships for the last 3 years. I have not watched a show since. I do miss the bands and the performers they used to have for the shows. Way better than the cruise ship dish washers juggleing or lip sinking.

If a dude doing magic tricks came up to your table when dinning out on land or if a person shoved a camera in your face mid chew you would prob tell them to bug off. I wish they would not do that stuff. My DW bought the pic one time after that I purposely do not even look at them and keep eating the meal lasts long enuff as it is. DH has not bought that pic since. I like to take our pics when ready not forced.

Not a fan of ATD at all!

I've done ATD twice and I'm not a fan either! We did it once on NCL and the other on HAL. I don't like NCL and will never cruise with them again (without going into all our reasons why)! On NCL the ATD was the worst. Same thing with a wait and also there were four of us and they kept insisting on sitting us at either an 8 or 10 top table. On HAL they took Reservations for ATD and we were able to keep our same Waitstaff.

One thing we dislike, too, about ATD was that people were always coming and going and it felt like an "Applebees" type atmosphere. We never had to wait on HAL but the atmosphere was just not as nice as Assigned Dining!

We've never had a problem getting a table just for ourselves with Assigned Dining (whether it is just the two of us or if we are with family or friends).

So going back to the tablecloths and the current tables in the MDR, perhaps they might go to the method of putting the tablecloth on the table, and then cover it with plexiglass or something like that? Covers up the nasty tables so they don't have to be replaced, need to wash the linens much less, etc.

They are replacing with new tables or tabletops and eliminating the linen. It wasn't mentioned if they are replacing the table base and I didn't think to ask. The new tables are a one time investment. Linen is expensive plus it was mentioned about environmental issues with the laundering.

They are replacing with new tables or tabletops and eliminating the linen. It wasn't mentioned if they are replacing the table base and I didn't think to ask. The new tables are a one time investment. Linen is expensive plus it was mentioned about environmental issues with the laundering.

How did you get this info?

On NCL, the wait was always 45 minutes or longer.!

Every night you had a wait that long??

That's pretty bad luck if you ask me.

I've sailed NCL numerous times and never waited longer than 15 minutes...and most of the time IF we have had to wait it has been because we're a big group. 6 or less of us are usually seated within 5 minutes.

Was it perhaps on the Epic?? I haven't sailed any of NCL's biggest ships

Edited by halos

I've sailed NCL numerous times and never waited longer than 15 minutes...and most of the time IF we have had to wait it has been because we're a big group. 6 or less of us are usually seated within 5 minutes.

Trust me, it was awful! There was only 2 of us and every night we got a pager and had to wait that long. It was on the Pearl. This was several years ago and was thinking about trying NCL since it might have improved but after our experience with Princess ATD last year not sure we ever want ATD.

Earlier they said they had heard it from their waiter. I believe on the Glory.

Hmmm find it hard to believe as the butcher has not shares this info with me. Will go out and buy a steak from him and see if I can get him to talk.

The things I do for this place.

Hmmm find it hard to believe as the butcher has not shares this info with me. Will go out and buy a steak from him and see if I can get him to talk.

The things I do for this place.

It is said frequently that you are one of a kind....wait, does that mean the same thing:confused:

If a dude doing magic tricks came up to your table when dinning out on land or if a person shoved a camera in your face mid chew you would prob tell them to bug off. I wish they would not do that stuff. My DW bought the pic one time after that I purposely do not even look at them and keep eating the meal lasts long enuff as it is. DH has not bought that pic since. I like to take our pics when ready not forced.

You confuse me. But I agree, we don't like having our photo taken at the table either. Its very old fashioned. I think they used to do that in restaurants here in the late 70's, early 80's.

I agree, I seriously doubt there were 45 minute waits. I"ve done any time dining on NCL and Carnival and not once have i waited more than 5 minutes.

I agree, I seriously doubt there were 45 minute waits. I"ve done any time dining on NCL and Carnival and not once have i waited more than 5 minutes.

Why would I lie? Told the truth...took 45 minutes plus on NCL. Like I said was several years ago so thinking it might have changed but then on Princess last year we were seated and after 30 minutes we still had not even received water.

I definitely did not lie and I definitely do not like ATD.

While I am usually like you I wonder the embellishment of people on this site but ReadytoCruise is always on par and as far as I know not an embellisher. I would believe that to be true

Lucky you. I've never been on a Carnival cruise where I haven't had (on occasion) to wait at least 5 minutes (but less than 30) for a table.

Not bad waits and no complaints but a wait with ATD at peak times was the norm on the cruises I've been on.

Lucky you. I've never been on a Carnival cruise where I haven't had (on occasion) to wait at least 5 minutes (but less than 30) for a table.

Not bad waits and no complaints but a wait with ATD at peak times was the norm on the cruises I've been on.

Suspect this was early on when ATD was being introduced.

On the Liberty last month never saw much of a wait at any time.