When are the dining changes going to happen?

ThreeYellowLabs

Every night you had a wait that long??

That's pretty bad luck if you ask me.

I've sailed NCL numerous times and never waited longer than 15 minutes...and most of the time IF we have had to wait it has been because we're a big group. 6 or less of us are usually seated within 5 minutes.

Was it perhaps on the Epic?? I haven't sailed any of NCL's biggest ships

This has been our experience even on the Epic. Our longest wait was on Dress Up or Not night for the Manhattan MDR for less than 15 minutes and they gave us coupons for free drinks while we waited.....there were no other waits for the MDR on the Epic and no waits on either of our Jewel cruises.

Suspect this was early on when ATD was being introduced.

On the Liberty last month never saw much of a wait at any time.

We were on the Freedom in August with ATD and didn't have any waits with 5 people the whole cruise....even when we asked for a specific waiter one night.

Earlier they said they had heard it from their waiter. I believe on the Glory.

We first heard about it in October on a different Ship from a Senior Officer. He is actually the one who first told us about doing away with the Linen and replacing the tables. Our Waiter on the Glory told us the timing for around December 8th on when they are planning to make the change on the tables and Menu. Not sure if all Ships are on that schedule or just Glory as he didn't say. Guess we'll find out when it happens!

Our experience on NCL was on the Sun! We didn't wait 45 minutes every night but we did wait at least 15 to 20 minutes or so. It was very frustrating, too, to be put at large tables especially when we had my Mother with us who has a hearing problem. We explained to the Maitre'd the large table was a hardship for her with her hearing but they didn't give a damn! Every night for five nights in the MDR (the other two nights we ate in the Specialty Restaurants) was a challenge to get a smaller table. We never did!

HAL was totally different. We had our reservation and had no wait. The people who didn't make a Ressie did wait but I don't know how long. They would be lined up on the left and those with Ressie's went to the right and was seated right away.

The atmosphere of ATD is different with the comings and goings, etc. and not our cup of tea!

Trust me, it was awful! There was only 2 of us and every night we got a pager and had to wait that long. It was on the Pearl. This was several years ago and was thinking about trying NCL since it might have improved but after our experience with Princess ATD last year not sure we ever want ATD.

That stinks, but you have to realize that is not common...if it were, NCL surely wouldn't be selling cabins, because that is pretty bad. I can truly understand why it left a bad taste for Freestyle....it would have for me too. Fortunately like I said, that hasn't ever happened to us...not even once

I agree, I seriously doubt there were 45 minute waits. I"ve done any time dining on NCL and Carnival and not once have i waited more than 5 minutes.

We've done ATD on Carnival for both our previous cruises, and waited once for about 30 minutes on the Paradise, but we went right after the early show on elegant night, which is like walking in to a restaurant at 7:00 on Saturday, and we requested a specific section. We took our pager and had drinks in the Library.

We avoided have avoided the crowds a little better most other nights, and have never had trouble getting a table for two, even if they are close to other tables.

I am so sorry that someone had to wait that long for their table with ATD with NCL. My hubby and I were on the Pride of America last year Xmas week and only one night did we have to wait for a table. It was Xmas eve and we only waited 20 minutes. Plus we always got our table for two. It will be interesting to see if Carnival runs things like NCL for ATD. Guess I will find out in a few weeks.

I honestly don't mind waiting for ATD, I'd rather wait 30 minutes than have assigned dining and have to go when I'm not hungry. Besides, I really don't mind the wait, we take our pagers and go have a drink at the atrium bar, we are pretty relaxed about it.

We have done ATD every time and probably the longest wait we've had was 15-20 minutes. That was the one night we showed up at around 7:15 on elegant night along with what seemed like every other person on the ship!

Hearing the December 8th date for menu changes makes me a bit nervous as we will be sailing on the Liberty December 7th. I'm seriously doubting we will see any changes, but with my luck you never know.:rolleyes:

I honestly don't mind waiting for ATD, I'd rather wait 30 minutes than have assigned dining and have to go when I'm not hungry. Besides, I really don't mind the wait, we take our pagers and go have a drink at the atrium bar, we are pretty relaxed about it.

That is what we should have done instead of standing there being mad.

Like I said, was several years ago, I am sure things have changed but it sure did leave a dry taste in my mouth. And Princess did not help last year.

Maybe one day will try NCL again.

We have done ATD every time and probably the longest wait we've had was 15-20 minutes. That was the one night we showed up at around 7:15 on elegant night along with what seemed like every other person on the ship!

Hearing the December 8th date for menu changes makes me a bit nervous as we will be sailing on the Liberty December 7th. I'm seriously doubting we will see any changes, but with my luck you never know.:rolleyes:

One can hope they will have some nice new dishes for us to try.

From JH facebook -

Hi John

Any updates on the dining/menu changes?

- We announce this next week and I will have all the details for you. Cheers

So, last Friday JH stated the above. Well, this is Friday evening the next week and why am I not surprised there was no announcement?

Why does JH and Carnival keep doing this? Just a prime example as to why I take everything JH says with a grain of salt.

So, last Friday JH stated the above. Well, this is Friday evening the next week and why am I not surprised there was no announcement?

Why does JH and Carnival keep doing this? Just a prime example as to why I take everything JH says with a grain of salt.

Just a prime example of why Everyone should take what JH says with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Just one grain????

Because Mr H is on holiday with his family and won't be back on line until next week

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Because Mr H is on holiday with his family and won't be back on line until next week

Doesn't answer the question. You are stating why he isn't communicating information, but not why he says he will give us information when he is unable to do so. That is the issue.

Doesn't answer the question. You are stating why he isn't communicating information, but not why he says he will give us information when he is unable to do so. That is the issue.

Not defending him, but has it occurred to anyone that maybe he hasn't gotten the information yet? Plus, all companies do this and this site proves that it works...it creates buzz about the company. Everyone is talking about it, so that creates interest in the company. Why does Apple announce months ahead that there is a new IPhone coming out...to create buzz and generate interest. The dining changes are probably very minor...IMHO. I'm sure they will not be as "brilliant" as some are hoping.

I heard over a year ago on the Legend from the Head Hostess, that Carnival was upgrading their uniforms on formal night. The ladies would look more elegant, can not remember what she told me about the guys.

My guess is this is what all the hype is about. I asked about the dress code change on my cruise last week, they crew was mummm about it.

Not defending him, but has it occurred to anyone that maybe he hasn't gotten the information yet? Plus, all companies do this and this site proves that it works...it creates buzz about the company. Everyone is talking about it, so that creates interest in the company. Why does Apple announce months ahead that there is a new IPhone coming out...to create buzz and generate interest. The dining changes are probably very minor...IMHO. I'm sure they will not be as "brilliant" as some are hoping.

First, JH is an extension of the PR department. JH not getting the information does not excuse the fact that we were told we would have the info by now. Yes, it creates buzz, but it also creates distrust.

For me, not a deal breaker. Just frustrating that they gave JH the green light to disclose that there are plans to make dining changes with a specific time for the reveal, but instead leave people hanging.

No matter the outcome, some will praise and some will bash and some will shrug their shoulders and not really care.

Edited by Tutankhamen

I don't know of anyone who goes in a restaurant and asks to be seated with strangers. The MDR traditional seatings are just that, tradition. While CCL has made many changes since we 1st cruised with them in 1995, some we like and some not, it may just be time to go with total YTD for all. We shall see.

We went to a local sports bar/restaurant, BW3's (famous for their wings) awhile back and we were seated at a table for 8 even though it was just myself and my husband and there were several smaller tables available. I didn't say anything, as I was sure they wouldn't seat anyone else with us anyway. My mistake. We were nearing the end of our meal and they seated a family of 5 with us. :( I'm not one who enjoys eating with strangers on our cruises and always enjoy the fact that we don't have to do that in land restaurants, so I was really surprised when they seated that family with us, without even asking if we minded.

I understand that others feel the same as we do about dining with strangers, as well as those who feel the complete opposite and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their preference. But I hate it when the ones who love it put down those of us who don't. If I want to meet people on a cruise (and I generally don't as I'm there to enjoy the cruise with my husband and family) there are plenty of opportunities to do so. Being forced to sit at a dinner table with strangers is just not something that everyone enjoys and I'm very thankful for anytime dining. Giving people more choices is great.

I don't know anything about the menu, but there was something new on the Breeze this week. There is no longer a bar server that comes in to take drink orders in the MDR. If you want anything from the bar, including soft drinks, you are supposed to let your head waiter know. He/she supposedly enters that on the computer, and then the bar server will bring you your drink. As someone who always gets the Bottomless Bubbles card, I felt like I was being a pain when I asked for a Coke. Guess we'll see how it works out!

Why do they always say changes will be announced in a very short while and than delay after delay and as it turns out change is very minor and most people think Carnival looks foolish.