Deciding between Carnival and Celebrity - big price difference

SnowshoeCat

At the suggestion of some friends of mine, I would like to try Celebrity. I found a 5-night sailing that fit the bill during my vacation week, although it's a bit of a splurge. That same week, Carnival is offering the same itinerary, but without the single supplement. Even with changing my plane tickets, it will still be about $400 less than the Celebrity cruise.

On the one hand, I like to get a bargain, but on the other, I'd like to treat myself to something special. Do you think the extra money will be worth it for just a 5-nighter, or save the splurge for something else?

I'm driving myself a little crazy trying to decide ;) Thank you for any input.

Celebrity is going to be a nicer experience than Carnival.

Is the Carnival cruise seven days?

If they are both five days I would probably say give Celebrity a try now but if they are not then I would say wait on Celebrity and do it on a seven day cruise.

Also, which Celebrity ship are you looking at?

Keith

Oh, right - ships! Celebrity Constellation or Carnival Fascination. I don't care that the Fascination is an "older" ship, so that's not a concern. Both cruises are 5 nights, Celebrity stopping at Key West and Cozumel, Carnival stopping at Key West and, of course, Nassau ;) Celebrity has more time in Key West, which is really the only port I care about.

The other thing is I'll be sailing on the Carnival Ecstasy 6 weeks prior, so maybe I need to shake things up a bit?

On the one hand, I like to get a bargain, but on the other, I'd like to treat myself to something special. Do you think the extra money will be worth it for just a 5-nighter, or save the splurge for something else?

quite honestly, I find shorter Carnival cruises to be heavy on the party/drink til you fall down crowd. if this is not your idea of something special, go with Celebrity.

additionally, the decor on Carnival is , to my mind, more tacky as opposed to quietly elegant. the decor alone really turned us off despite having excellent food and service throughout.

I am a firm believer of 'you get what you pay for' Carnival introduced us to cruising, and I am grateful to them for that, but we quickly outgrew them.

Edited by spookwife

Gee, we'd pick Connie in a heart beat over Fascination -- better itinerary for sure and we like Celebrity better than Carnival.

Note: We have cruised on Fasciation because JAX is a convenient port for us.

Unfortunately, Connie would be about $80 per day more for you so only you can make that decision.

LuLu

~~~~

We are "Platinum" on Carnival and they introduced us to cruising. However, after three trips on Celebrity --- it is the way to go for me!!!

Service, ships and locations wins hands down for me on Celebrity.

You will not find the passenger demographic much different on the five day cruises. Especially if the Fascination is the Monday departure. I find the frenetic atmosphere stronger on the 3 day cruises of Carnival. Interestingly, if you sail on a five day Celebrity cruise, and follow it with the four day cruise, you will notice a marked difference in the mix...Was surprised when I saw shorts and wifebeater shirts in the evening. EM

At the suggestion of some friends of mine, I would like to try Celebrity. I found a 5-night sailing that fit the bill during my vacation week, although it's a bit of a splurge. That same week, Carnival is offering the same itinerary, but without the single supplement. Even with changing my plane tickets, it will still be about $400 less than the Celebrity cruise.

Give Celebrity a try. The ambiance is more subdued - no waiters dancing, no hairy legs contests - and the food is much better.

You will not find the passenger demographic much different on the five day cruises. Especially if the Fascination is the Monday departure. I find the frenetic atmosphere stronger on the 3 day cruises of Carnival. Interestingly, if you sail on a five day Celebrity cruise, and follow it with the four day cruise, you will notice a marked difference in the mix...Was surprised when I saw shorts and wifebeater shirts in the evening. EM

Both cruises Sat-Thurs.

If you're younger and you want more of a livelier atmosphere, Celebrity might not fit. Celebrity tends to attract an older crowd and they don't have the hopping nightlife of Carnival. But if you want a more upscale cruise with better food and service, then Celebrity is the better choice.

If you're younger and you want more of a livelier atmosphere, Celebrity might not fit. Celebrity tends to attract an older crowd and they don't have the hopping nightlife of Carnival. But if you want a more upscale cruise with better food and service, then Celebrity is the better choice.

You know, I don't think I really "fit in" with any demographic. That's why I'm having trouble deciding. I don't party or stay up late, but I do find some of the liveliness somewhat entertaining.

My first cruise was on Carnival. It turns out it was spring break. I didn't play any of the games. I went to the gym, the spa, afternoon tea, and just had my own relaxing time. My second cruise was on Norwegian in the middle of January. It was... sedate. I almost missed the drunken idiots from the spring break cruise.

I'm wondering if because my day-to-day life is generally low-key, I appreciate a little stimulation on vacation? Ugh. Back to square one.

Celebrity has, in my opinion, better food and service.

Celebrity has more time in Key West, which is the port you like most.

Celebrity then stops at Cozumel, which has a lot more going for it than Nassau.

Celebrity is less "lively" than Carnival - a negative if that is an important factor.

Celebrity costs more than Carnival (I wonder why.)

You've tried Carnival - would you like to be able to compare?

Only you can make this decision. We've done both lines(though neither of those ships) and would probably go with Carnival mainly due to cost.

However our favorite thing on Celebrity has been Q Sine, actually that's been one of our favorite things on any ship ever. If that's offered on Constellation then 100% go with Celebrity.

Constellation all the way! We have sailed her twice and she is a real gem. She is 8 years newer than Fascination which is not only older, but ugly inside almost beyond description. Food, service and ambiance will be superior on the Connie as well.

It's a good thing we're slow here at work today. I've been doing lots of number crunching. I can chip away at the price difference if I get an interior cabin on Celebrity. But, darn - I like the oceanview! And I do want to try something different.

I realize it's my decision. I appreciate everyone's input and the opportunity to bounce ideas around. I think my friends are ready to kill me, so thanks for listening!

I would definitely go with Celebrity here, and I do not agree with the post saying it'll be the same passenger demographic as a short Carnival cruise.

Agree. Not only will there be a higher level of service, there will be a more sophisticated demographic.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Have you checked these;Xciting deals? 4 currently on list which comes out Thurs,/Fri. for Tuesday booking. You can use your agent if you wish.There should not be a big price dif between two lines.

Edited by zoncom

Only you can make this decision. We've done both lines(though neither of those ships) and would probably go with Carnival mainly due to cost.

However our favorite thing on Celebrity has been Q Sine, actually that's been one of our favorite things on any ship ever. If that's offered on Constellation then 100% go with Celebrity.

Constellation doesn't have Q-sine. It has Tuscan Grille instead, which is quite good.