Room Service Dishes Outside of Room? Cool or not?

johnkins

I've seen dishes on the corridor floor a few times. When they're near our cabin, I get my sticky note pad, and write a polite (anonymous) note explaining why this is a bad idea. Seems to work, no one has left their dishes in the hall after that.

On those occasions when we've ordered something from room service, we leave the tray on a table in our cabin. If we don't see our room steward when we're leaving our cabin (to ask to have it removed), we'll leave a note saying "Please remove. Thank-you." Works every time. Much better than leaving it in the hallway. Side note: If you'd like, keep the tray (minus the dishes), so you can use it at the buffet. If you (or a family member) have mobility issues, it makes it a lot easier to carry your food to your table.;)

We have been told by room service staff that they would never collect dirty dishes at the same time they deliverying other orders, unsantitary. Makes sense. If they pick up a dirty tray while deliverying, they probably are moving it to an area on the floor where room stewards would get rid of it later, if possible.

They just didn't want to do the task. We always tip room service and they have never shown any signs of being disturbed when we have on occasion asked them to remove a tray with dirty dishes on them.

In the buffet the servers pick up a tray with dirty dishes on them at one table and the next thing you see them doing is retrieving a rolled up napkin with eating utensils in it or grabbing a salt shaker off of a table to give to a guest who's salt shaker is empty.

We have been told by room service staff that they would never collect dirty dishes at the same time they deliverying other orders, unsantitary. Makes sense. If they pick up a dirty tray while deliverying, they probably are moving it to an area on the floor where room stewards would get rid of it later, if possible.
They just didn't want to do the task. We always tip room service and they have never shown any signs of being disturbed when we have on occasion asked them to remove a tray with dirty dishes on them.

You completely missed the point of pris993's post. They would not pick up trays with dirty dishes when they are still delivering trays with fresh food orders so as to not contaminate the fresh orders. Your claim that "they just didn't want to do the task" is uncalled for.

Edited by boogs

I think a little common sense goes a long way. :)

How can it be a good idea to leave trays, dishes, glasses in a hallway on a moving ship. It's an inconvenience at best and an accident waiting to happen at worst, IMO

YMMV.

[/b]

Agree. Those are your dirty dishes and should not be a problem to others.

You completely missed the point of pris993's post. They would not pick up trays with dirty dishes when they are still delivering trays with fresh food orders so as to not contaminate the fresh orders. Your claim that "they just didn't want to do the task" is uncalled for.

My opinion. They have picked up mine. I have seen servers in the buffet pick up dirty dishes and then get guests clean things. My opinion and my observations.

My opinion. They have picked up mine. I have seen servers in the buffet pick up dirty dishes and then get guests clean things. My opinion and my observations.

As in many of your posts, your opinion does not equate to fact. ;)

How many times have you seen the buffet servers carrying dirty dishes in one hand and "clean things" in the other hand? I would bet never. Any sensible person - yes, even that lowly buffet server - would never consider this appropriate. It is this co-mingling of dirty and clean items that I understood was the point of pris993's post. Your "observation" of a server carrying dirty dishes to the kitchen and returning with clean items actually supports pris993's comment. Those two actions are separate - as is not placing dirty hallway dishes on a cart with clean plates and food being delivered to another cabin.

Edited by SantaFeFan

For some of you that say don't put trays and dishes in hallway, guess what? I don't, but the room stewards do. Usually because the room service crew go through the hallways with their carts and pick up. They have never sat there long, but they are put out there.

So it really depends on the cruise lines, and how they prefer things to be done. Though it may seem tacky to some, it may not be our choice how the cruise line prefers to do it.

As in many of your posts, your opinion does not equate to fact. ;)

How many times have you seen the buffet servers carrying dirty dishes in one hand and "clean things" in the other hand? I would bet never. Any sensible person - yes, even that lowly buffet server - would never consider this appropriate. It is this co-mingling of dirty and clean items that I understood was the point of pris993's post. Your "observation" of a server carrying dirty dishes to the kitchen and returning with clean items actually supports pris993's comment. Those two actions are separate - as is not placing dirty hallway dishes on a cart with clean plates and food being delivered to another cabin.

My observations include a waiter picking up dirty dishes, putting them on a tray leaving the tray and going and retrieving something within my vision that included utensils and salt shakers. I have seen this on many, many occasions on different ships and lines.

Don't forget even room service attendants that strictly carry new food and clean dishes are touching dirty door handles and money. It's nice to think they have a clean and a dirty hand. I will go with that.;)

My observations include a waiter picking up dirty dishes, putting them on a tray leaving the tray and going and retrieving something within my vision that included utensils and salt shakers. I have seen this on many, many occasions on different ships and lines.

Don't forget even room service attendants that strictly carry new food and clean dishes are touching dirty door handles and money. It's nice to think they have a clean and a dirty hand. I will go with that.;)

Pardon my confusion, but what is the point you are trying to make? And how does it relate to the staff's comment that they never collect dirty dishes at the same time they are delivering other orders, which is the topic of the post you originally replied to? :confused:

Pardon my confusion, but what is the point you are trying to make? And how does it relate to the staff's comment that they never collect dirty dishes at the same time they are delivering other orders, which is the topic of the post you originally replied to? :confused:

No worries. I have seen them do this in the buffet especially. That is what I was commenting about.

I have never seen a room service attendant carry more than our trays at one time but they have picked up our dirty trays after leaving our food.:)

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Leaving trays in the corridor is something that everybody does. DH and I ordered room service quite a few times on our honeymoon with RCI and left the tray (or trays if there was more than one) out every time. If this is a problem for staff, surely something would be said?

And we didn't just pile everything on trays. We made sure plates were stacked and everything neat to minimise any movement. And the trays never stayed long out there anyway, someone would always pick them up.

I understand it may be a safety thing, but unless I see it being brought up by one of the staff while on the cruise I don't really see the problem.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Leaving trays in the corridor is something that everybody does. DH and I ordered room service quite a few times on our honeymoon with RCI and left the tray (or trays if there was more than one) out every time. If this is a problem for staff, surely something would be said?

And we didn't just pile everything on trays. We made sure plates were stacked and everything neat to minimise any movement. And the trays never stayed long out there anyway, someone would always pick them up.

I understand it may be a safety thing, but unless I see it being brought up by one of the staff while on the cruise I don't really see the problem.

I recall RCI's guest information kit clearly stating that used room service items should not be placed in the corridor -- echoing the request made by every line I've sailed.

I am concerned by your attitude about something not being a problem if it is not "...brought up by one of the staff..." Is that your approach towards not urinating in hot tubs or swimming pools?

If the only rules anyone followed on a cruise ship were the ones "enforced" by the staff there would be chaos at sea. For the most part, the staff will ignore anything and everything they can because they're trained to try and make everyone happy. They aren't cops.

I recall RCI's guest information kit clearly stating that used room service items should not be placed in the corridor -- echoing the request made by every line I've sailed.

I am concerned by your attitude about something not being a problem if it is not "...brought up by one of the staff..." Is that your approach towards not urinating in hot tubs or swimming pools?

No, but not everyone pees in the pool and everyone leaves their trays outside the rooms. If everyone who left a tray outside their room also peed in the pool, then yes we would have a problem.

Edited by Katana_Geldar

If the only rules anyone followed on a cruise ship were the ones "enforced" by the staff there would be chaos at sea. For the most part, the staff will ignore anything and everything they can because they're trained to try and make everyone happy. They aren't cops.

They also do not want to be reported by unhappy cruisers even if that means turning their head when a cruiser actually needs a reminder of the rules.;)

We always put them outside with no issue. I am in agreement with you.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Leaving trays in the corridor is something that everybody does.

That is quite a far reaching claim to make. "....something that everybody does"? Really?

I guess I must be a "nobody" then, because I never leave trays in the hallways. I call my stateroom attendant and he picks it up in a few minutes. And I rarely see trays left in hallways, so they must also be "nobodies".

Every cruise line I have sailed on has requested that trays are not left in the hallways. It is posted in the information binder in every room. So, to be technical, it IS being brought up by the staff. But unlike some people, I take the time to look through that information binder to see what the rules are. I guess that disqualifies me from being an "Everybody". :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

If the only rules anyone followed on a cruise ship were the ones "enforced" by the staff there would be chaos at sea.

I can see another TLC program in the making: "Anarchists of the High Seas". :D

Edited by boogs

We am sailing on Carnival Splendor tomorrow. We booked an inside cabin, and are bringing the customary two bottles of wine. My grand idea is to order room service at 2AM and take the food out of the room and find a romantic deserted spot to feast and sip our wine. THE QUESTION: Do we have to bring the dishes back to our stateroom when we are done, or can we just leave them on any table anywhere on ship? My fear is that when they collect the room service cart they will see the missing dishes and charge us for them like they do for the towels and bathrobe:eek:?

To answer your question. If you take the room service order to eat elsewhere on the ship, just leave the dirty dishes where you ate the food. You will not be charged for the dishes.

LuLu

~~~~

I think a little common sense goes a long way. :)

How can it be a good idea to leave trays, dishes, glasses in a hallway on a moving ship. It's an inconvenience at best and an accident waiting to happen at worst, IMO

YMMV.[/b]

Sail .... You have not cruised on any cruise line other than HAL for quite a while and probably before that on Princess.

On both HAL and Princess they ask us to call to have our room service trays removed or leave them for our room steward and to not place them in the hallways.

On some other cruise lines ... Carnival & RCCL and maybe others ... they tell us to put the used trays in the hall.

Agree with you .... It's a horrid mess in the halls and dangerous but that's what they say to do. :rolleyes:

The OP is on a Carnival cruise.

Fortunately, we very seldom order anything from room service. More often on HAL than any other. We are fond of their club sandwiches. :)

LuLu

~~~~