Disappointed in NCL - Won't bend policy for cancer victim

sdmike

The thread title is: "Disappointed in NCL - Won't bend policy for cancer victim ". So my question is would some be disappointed if they would not bend policy for:

-loss of a loved one?

-loss of job?

-victim of a disease other than cancer?

All of these things are what insurance is for. Odds are the passengers will get something out of this because they went to the press and got an article published by such an unbiased journalist who writes without sensationalism or inserting his own opinions.:rolleyes: Those who demand attention usually get it and are often rewarded for it.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

The thread title is: "Disappointed in NCL - Won't bend policy for cancer victim ". So my question is would some be disappointed if they would not bend policy for:

-loss of a loved one?

-loss of job?

-victim of a disease other than cancer?

All of these things are what insurance is for. Odds are the passengers will get something out of this because they went to the press and got an article published by such an unbiased journalist who writes without sensationalism or inserting his own opinions.:rolleyes: Those who demand attention usually get it and are often rewarded for it.

It's that sense of entitlement that some people have.......

I'm more important than you....so rules don't apply to me.

And you're right....they probably will get something.

It's like "the customer is always right". Sometimes its easier for the business to appease that customer just to avoid bad public relations.

I was more disappointed in NCL for this than anything else. They had an opportunity to "do the right thing" for a customer that was diagnosed with gall bladder cancer and needed emergency surgery just days before their cruise. NCL cited "policy" and didn't even offer a credit that could be used to sail once (if) the pax got better.

We know the ship staff are awesome, and I've been lead to believe that Kevin Sheehan is a down to earth nice guy, but sounds like the hit-and-miss corporate office struck out on this one...even after contacted by the author of the article. How did they NOT know this would end up in the LA Times with them having egg on their face?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-cruise-20131115,0,5836172.column?page=1

Add me to the list of people not seeing Norwegian Cruise Line being in the wrong here. Trip insurance is VITAL to travel and it's not until you learn the hard way sometimes that you buy it EVERY time thereafter. I experienced exactly the reason why you would have such a need first hand but understood the contract I was getting into with the cruise line. Luckily I was able to find a person to buy the bed in the cabin from my ailing mother and it worked out in the end. This was a rude awakening to me though that travel insurance, while an expense you may never use, is important to have. I side with NCL on this and hope for the best for the person in the article.

I can say that Carnival Cruise Line was very gracious to us in the past. Our adult son who was not even booked on the cruise was burned in a car fire.

We had not purchased insurance, but upon calling Carnival, and providing the hospital documentation of his condition and prognosis, Carnival was gracious enough to give a credit toward a future cruise.

They didn't have to do it, but they did, and it was much appreciated.

Not only does cruise insurance cover pre cruise medical emergencies but they cover cruise medical emergencies too. A friend of ours had a heart attacked on a cruise and needed to be medically evacuated at a cost of over $20,000 and the cruise insurance covered every penny.

That right there is why I now consider trip insurance..;)

I truly feel sympathy for the victim here, but at the same time there really is no sensible reason for NCL to bend the policy. It would be similar to only buying auto insurance AFTER you had an accident and then expecting the insurance company to foot the bill. Maybe if they offered Obamacare Trip Insurance?

Ya wouldn't be able to access the website-----LOL

whats travel insurance ? Is that to garuntee that i get a vaction every year.

Sorry , just had maple bacon beer with a side a side of bananas foster and corned beef hash omlet . Blood sugar outa wack ..

Mpk

lol!!!!

I can say that Carnival Cruise Line was very gracious to us in the past. Our adult son who was not even booked on the cruise was burned in a car fire.

We had not purchased insurance, but upon calling Carnival, and providing the hospital documentation of his condition and prognosis, Carnival was gracious enough to give a credit toward a future cruise.

I'm sorry about your son and hope he is OK.

Did this happen recently? The reason I ask is that most lines ( only just a few years ago) made acceptions, but lately things have been different.

I have to agree with everyone else here. As painful as this experience has been for this person, they are not the only ones that somethign tragic like this has happened to. The cruise lines cannot make exceptions, not when stuff like this is not uncommon. People should understand that they should buy insurance if the loss would be something they couldn't mentally or financially deal with. if the risk is worth it to you, then it's a different story. But if you don't buy the insurance, you really can't gripe.

Edited by halos

Insurance. That's all.

From someone who had to cancel a trip because of a ruptured disc in my back and needed surgery.

Every family has a tragedy story but there are things they can do to mitigate that risk. Insurance is one of them.

I love your white flag! Priceless. :p

Edited by Pushka

So far I have not bought insurance for my cruise next Sept. But I might, I think I can add it up to the time that Full Payment is due, June 2014. The reason I did not take it right away is because on reading it, there were a lot of limitations in regards to cancellation.

But when I bought my Australia vacation package for October 2010, through the same major online cruise/vacation outlet, that cancellation insurance was open-ended, it covered if we cancelled for ANY reason.

Does anyone know any third party company where one can purchase trip insurance that may not be as limiting?

I have had good luck with http://www.insuremytrip.com - you can compare rates and different policies. The thing I've found with the "cancel for any reason" it usually has to be purchased within a certain time of deposit - I've seen 24 hours, I've seen 14 days. But beyond the first couple weeks after you make your deposit, you can't seem to get cancel for any reason.

Insurance / Definition / Pay a little now or a lot latter .

For some of you , check with your insurance carrier ( home , auto ect.) some offer travel insurance at a yearly premium .. cheap

Also while your at it check on a $1M homeowner liability umbrell , also very cheap.. ( slightly off topic)

OR wrap yourself in Bubble wrap and dont leave the house ...;)

Like this?hyju4aja.jpg

sigh

White-Flag-of-Surrender-300x254.jpg

There it is again.

It's probably not a bad thing to keep the insurance thing topical. At the moment an Aussie is stranded in Bali with a medical crisis due to not having travel insurance and so friends are raising funds to get him back to Australia.

I think there are companies that will do like Carnival did for you and those who act like NCL. It is not that one or the other is wrong, it is different company culture. I tend to do business if possible with companies that do like Apple and Nordstrom than those who are not flexible. I don't usually go for the lowest price. I look at the customer support. Companys who build brand loyalty. What Carnival did for you builds brand loyalty. NCL is a budget cruise line; the two cruises I booked on NCL were among the lowest price of my 45 cruises; so with their margins they might not be able to afford to have a liberal policy.

Edited by Charles4515

I think there are companies that will do like Carnival did for you and those who act like NCL. It is not that one or the other is wrong, it is different company culture. I tend to do business if possible with companies that do like Apple and Nordstrom than those who are not flexible. I don't usually go for the lowest price. I look at the customer support. Companys who build brand loyalty. What Carnival did for you builds brand loyalty. NCL is a budget cruise line; the two cruises I booked on NCL were among the lowest price of my 45 cruises; so with their margins they might not be able to afford to have a liberal policy.

And Carnival isn't a budget cruise line? Since when:rolleyes:

Who knows when that poster's situation arose. Today Carnival's response might be no different than NCL's.

Carnival darn well better bend over backwards for its customers given the incidents that have happened in the past couple of years.

Edited by njhorseman

And Carnival isn't a budget cruise line? Since when:rolleyes:

Who knows when that poster's situation arose. Today Carnival's response might be no different than NCL's.

Carnival darn well better bend over backwards for its customers given the incidents that have happened in the past couple of years.

I agree that Carnival is a budget cruise line but they with their scale they might have the financial might to be more flexible. And with their recent problems they currently seem to be bending over backwards.

Different companies provide different amounts of customer satisfaction. It's also a moving target.

Sometimes it has to do with company DNA. Like Costco vs. Sams Club/Walmart.

It's like some companies have realized that you don't have to give out refunds, many are satisfied with a coupon/ credit. It is a win for the company because if the customer uses the coupon they will use it on their company. And builds loyalty. So it's probably smarter to do what Carnival did than NCL.

Edited by Charles4515

Having been diagnosed with cancer myself, and being of an age where anything could happen with parents as well, etc., I always get insurance and that is what it is there for. Norwegian and other cruise lines have policies and people should not expect them to "make exceptions", when they clearly promote the insurance and when the rules are known in advance.

The cruise line still has to pay the staff, has already ordered food, materials and supplies, etc., and those costs have to be covered whether people sail or not. And as many have said, where would you draw the line for exceptions? To make NCL or any line the bad guy in these situations is not fair in my opinion. People need to take responsibility and get insurance.

NCL may not be as inflexible as is being portrayed on this thread. I know of a recent case where someone was faced with a similar situation a couple of weeks before they were to sail. They too had no insurance but NCL gave them a partial credit toward a future cruise. Things are not always black and white.

That being said, I'm not willing to tempt fate. We always buy travel insurance, if for no other reason that to be covered in the event of a medical evacuation or other emergency. For us, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Others may not agree and they have that choice.

Edited by emcelh

NCL may not be as inflexible as is being portrayed on this thread. I know of a recent case where someone was faced with a similar situation a couple of weeks before they were to sail. They too had no insurance but NCL gave them a partial credit toward a future cruise. Things are not always black and white.

That being said, I'm not willing to tempt fate. We always buy travel insurance, if for no other reason that to be covered in the event of a medical evacuation or other emergency. For us, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Others may not agree and they have that choice.

And because there is a choice to buy insurance I don't think NCL was wrong. I would like them to be more flexible but I don't demand it and I am not outraged that they were not in this case. I think it would be better for their business if they were more flexible but it their business decision to make.

Over the years I have booked thru several different travel agents and every one has asked me to make the choice of getting or not getting insurance. Many even put on the invoice insurance declined when I did not purchase the insurance thru them, as I often purchased the insurance myself as some of the agents did not sell the policy I desired. So I think they had the choice and made a bad choice.

Edited by Charles4515

Actually a "couple weeks" DOES have a 25% refund per NCL's policy. So, with your claim, it is "black and white"?

Here is my procedure when we cruise.

Research cruise and airfare

Decide on cruise and airline

Book cruise and then buy airfare

Buy insurance with in 14 days of deposit on cruise and be sure to add enough to cover cruise cost plus airfare

Save for cruise final payment and put airfare on an interest free credit card that earn points

Research private and ship excursions and never give a deposit on a private excursion

Pre purchase any timed museum tix etc

Charge up my Mobal phone

Pack very lite and carryon most clothing

Enjoy and not look for things to complain about on cc!