Buy next cruise on board or not??

Im cruising for the first time on Rhapsody in December 2013 (so not a Crown & Anchor member yet but will be when i board). I already know that I will be booking on another cruise in 2014 (I know which cruise, date and cabin types we want).

What sort of discounts do you get for booking on board?

Is it worth it if you know the above details to book on board?

Do you only need the deposit if booking onboard?

Am i better off just booking online when I get back?

How long does it take to get (Crown&Anchor) membership number?

Im cruising for the first time on Rhapsody in December 2013 (so not a Crown & Anchor member yet but will be when i board). I already know that I will be booking on another cruise in 2014 (I know which cruise, date and cabin types we want).

You can join C&A on board your first cruise.

There is no discount for booking on board, just reduced deposit and an on board credit for the future cruise. Unless you are booking a Grand Suite or better, you only need $100 per person deposit to book the cruise.

We always create an "open booking" on board the ship....it gives us an OBC for the future cruise we will take. After we have set up the Open Booking we work with our travel agent, for the specific cruise we want and she helps us get the best rate possible. To do an Open Booking all you need is $100 deposit per person. It is well worth doing, since you know you will be taking another cruise. Leave the specific details for later.

Thanks for the responses!

If you make an open booking, can u then contact rci direct and use that open booking to book cruise or do you have to go through travel agent?

Either, it depends on how you purchase the open booking. If you purchase the open booking "direct" (no travel agent), then you can contact Royal to use the open booking. If you allow your travel agent to be assigned to the open booking, then you must go through your travel agent to use the open booking. You decide between these two options when you purchase the open booking on board.

Edited by clarea

And if you booked this cruise through a TA, an open booking will automatically go to that TA unless you SPECIFY that you don't want it to. That way you can choose whatever TA you want. But if you like the TA that you have (and hopefully that's the case), then just let them hold your booking and then book it when you get home so that they can also give you whatever TA gift they are offering.

If you make an open booking, can u then contact rci direct and use that open booking to book cruise or do you have to go through travel agent?

The best thing to do is to book an Open Booking on board. You are not required to list a travel agent...you can then utilize RCI directly and complete the details of the cruise to be chosen.

I prefer to use a TA, and have used the same one for more than a dozen cruises. I do let RCCL attach my Open Booking to her, and she actually gets an email from RCCL before I have left the ship that the Open Booking has been set up.

But you DON'T need to use a TA to benefit from doing an Open Booking.

Also if you purchase an Open Booking (NCC) you only have to put it in one name, so only a $100.00 deposit is required for each certificate you want to purchase (limit of 3 pp onboard purchasing)..then the additional $100.00 per cruiser will be required when that booking is turned into an actual cruise. An additional benefit is you can also transfer your open booking certificate to anyone of your choice whether they are cruising with you or not...this took the place of the "Family & Friends". I just used 3 open bookings certificates for our upcoming family 2014 Alaska cruise. I always love to have a few certificates on hand.

Edited by Ashland

I do it both ways. If I know the cruise/date I want, I book it on board. But b/c we sometimes book last minute, I bought 3 FCC on the last cruise and have already used one of them.

Booking on the ship gets you an OBC plus a reduced deposit, so I always book on the ship or use a FCC to get the same benefits.

Booking a NC certificate is a no-brainer, as long as you know you want to do another RCI cruise in the near future. I am booked on the Oasis in January. Because I booked a NC, when I booked this cruise I only paid the NC certificate as my deposit. This is a temporary savings of $500. Plus I get an on board credit.

Life is good.

if you have no plans to book another RCI cruise... avoid it like the plague..

jc

I notice that the OP is from Sydney so it is a little different for us Downunder. If the OP does choose to buy a future cruise whilst on board he can either choose to keep the booking and deal directly with RCI in Australia or he can transfer it to a TA of his choice BUT that TA must be an Australian TA. That is because the booking is deemed to be made in Australia.

If the OP wants to transfer the booking to an Australian TA that is fine - go ahead but if he/she wants to transfer the booking to a US TA - you can't, so don't book on board.

Cheers

Di

The TA is giving up part of their commission to offer a lower price or perks.

Or they have a set allocation of cabins at a special rate that are treated as a 'group' booking which they can sell at a lower price - there can then be restrictions on the purchaser, as RC then treat these bookings differently to a regular one. In fact these cabins are often bundled together in a package by the TA with flights, hotel, transfers etc & then you don't know exactly what your cabin rate is if you look to upgrade etc.

BOT, if you are definitely going to cruise again on RC, booking a NC cert is a no-brainer. Just remember, if you used a TA for the cruise you are on & you don't want the cert automatically assigned to them, mark that on the form.

Happy cruising

Edited by mr walker
pressed too soon