changes to the Regal Princess

senior lady

Changes being made to the new Regal Princess.

Was lucky to tour the Royal Princess in St Martin last week.

The higher up at Princess told us that they have been listening and are making changes to the Regal.

The "aft" pool is coming back and also there will be a Promenade deck. There are also going to be some small changes to the Piazza.

The balconies will remain the same as will the "lack" of stairs in the Atrium.

I was very impressed with the Royal and loved the skywalk. I noticed that you can't see into the cabins below just the balconies, which to me is no different than other ships. I do miss the larger Caribe balconies.

Talking to lots of people on board they all loved the new larger showers.

I'm glad that Princess has been listening to everybody and is making these great changes:)

The higher up at Princess told us that they have been listening and are making changes to the Regal.

The "aft" pool is coming back and also there will be a Promenade deck. There are also going to be some small changes to the Piazza.

I was very impressed with the Royal and loved the skywalk. I noticed that you can't see into the cabins below just the balconies, which to me is no different than other ships. I do miss the larger Caribe balconies.

I'm glad that Princess has been listening to everybody and is making these great changes:)

I have just looked on Princess news and did not see the announcement about aft pool and promenade deck?

That is good news but we all need to SCREAM at them WE NEED CENTRAL STAIRS Even on the Grand Princess with a lot less people waiting for the lifts in the centre when people only wanted to go down one floor was soooooo stupid.

If it's true, the promenade deck is a great thing. That's one of the two reasons we don't want to sail the Royal again. (And the other is the lack of good dance floors, not the central staircase).

I'm not sure exactly how they'd get a promenade in though, because the boats sort of block it.

We were on the Royal last week and did here that the aft pool was coming back! That will be a wonderful addition to an already great ship. I didn't here about the promenade deck but that would be most welcome.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers, Denise.

And it does have the promenade deck back actually at the very front it does not so maybe that section only one goes inside to get to other side.

That is great news I will certainly travel on her in the future with that added outdoor walk space..:)

Changes being made to the new Regal Princess.The "aft" pool is coming back and also there will be a Promenade deck. There are also going to be some small changes to the Piazza.

That's awesome... :D

We'll have to put her back on the list...

Good job Princess!

I'll would be interesting to see how they fit in an aft pool. Take out the Cat D4 deluxe balconies on Marina deck, most of the Horizon Terrace seating area on Lido deck and part of the Youth Play Area on the Sun Deck? With the slanted aft there isn't as much space aft of the elevators to fit an aft pool.

We enjoy the shaded area on the Horizon Terrace on the Golden and Star and was looking forward to spending a lot of time in the covered, comfortable seating in the Horizon Court area.

If you look at the intro video for the P&O Britannia (and look quick) you can get some idea what an aft pool on the Regal Princess might look like. It looks to be mostly above the deck on the Sun deck (most likely similar to the extra splash pool on the Sun deck on Diamond/Sapphire) and not all that large, but it's there.

http://www.pocruises.com/britannia/

Edited by Vexorg

If you go to the Princess website,

Regal Princess, it lists new deck plans.it has the promenade deck already showing:)

Kruisey, I do believe the deck plans on the Princess web site haven't changed. The Promenade is still showing the abrupt end to the walking area. If you compare to the Royal, they are still the same. I don't know why it says "new" when it clearly isn't.

Kruisey, I do believe the deck plans on the Princess web site haven't changed. The Promenade is still showing the abrupt end to the walking area. If you compare to the Royal, they are still the same. I don't know why it says "new" when it clearly isn't.
The "new" is on all of the deck plans because of the changes last May.

Here's a link to Dave's photos from last August. The Regal's hull is essentially completed and I don't see a promenade deck. Princess would have to re-construct that area. The current Regal promenade deck plans are the same as the Royal. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39698129&postcount=19

Can't remember where I read it but it's my understanding that cruise ships (and maybe it's just the larger ones) have to have tenders and lifeboats more readily accessible to lowering. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Can't think of where they'd put an aft pool.

Can't remember where I read it but it's my understanding that cruise ships (and maybe it's just the larger ones) have to have tenders and lifeboats more readily accessible to lowering. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

They can build a proper cruise ship (with promenade deck) and meet all the possible requirements - if they want to.

The largest ships have wrap-around promenade deck (RCI Oasis Class).

NCL Breakaway has a halfship promenade.

The "new" is on all of the deck plans because of the changes last May.

Here's a link to Dave's photos from last August. The Regal's hull is essentially completed and I don't see a promenade deck. Princess would have to re-construct that area. The current Regal promenade deck plans are the same as the Royal. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39698129&postcount=19

I just looked at the Royal.

Kind of misleading because it looks as though you can walk around.I wonder if Princess may have opened up access on that deck for both ships so that folks can walk along side of lifeboats?

I just looked at the Royal.

Kind of misleading because it looks as though you can walk around.I wonder if Princess may have opened up access on that deck for both ships so that folks can walk along side of lifeboats?

There so little space between the lifeboats and the 'wall' behind which is the library, shops etc that I would be surprised if that was opened up. There is only just enoigh space for one person to walk along there. If they were going to that up completely the would have to remove space from the inside to llw them to make the promenade wider.

The promenade deck does actually go to the front but on Royal it is closed off for staff to use. I expect it would be possible to open that up to passengers but it is completely enclosed at the front.

Looing at the plans on Princess, the look the same as Royal ones. It also show promenade being accessible round the aft, but it is not the case in reality.

To me the "new" refers to the new format of the deck plans.
caribill, You are correct that the "New" refers to the new format, not any actual changes to deck plans or recategorization of cabins. Among other things, the new format allows deck plans to be viewed on iPhones and iPads :)

We were on the Royal last week and did here that the aft pool was coming back! That will be a wonderful addition to an already great ship. I didn't here about the promenade deck but that would be most welcome.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers, Denise.

Glad to hear that. I just hope they solve the soot problem. Wouldn't want to swim in something that resembles the La brea tar pits.

We were on the Royal last week, as well, and also heard from personnel - both "highly placed" and otherwise - that they would be adding an aft pool, that they were very seriously looking into adding a midships staircase (at a cost of approximately $3-$4 Million), and that they were looking into a solution to the soot/fumes problem affecting the aft balconies (which we experienced first-hand, unfortunately.)

As for the pool, we were told by 2 people that they would be removing some of the aft balcony cabins on Marina Deck (and possibly Riviera Deck) to accommodate the pool, and that the remainder of the aft would be reconfigured much like the Grand Class ships, with tiered lounging areas on Lido and Sun Decks, and that there was a possibility of adding a "splash pool" and/or hot tub to the Sun Deck (similar to the SuperGrand Class ships.) It seemed as if this was a done deal.

We were told that the addition of the midships staircase was being very seriously considered and worked on, but that - as of yet - no solution had been found for the soot/fumes problem.

We heard nothing about the addition of a full promenade (don't mean to imply it's not in the works; merely that we didn't hear anything about it.)

Of course, all of this is merely rumor at this point and should be taken with a very large grain of salt, but wanted to pass on what we were hearing as fairly persistent rumor. For what it's worth.

Even if the Promenade deck could be extended it would be uncovered & not like other ships. If an aft pool is possible it'll be interesting to see where it would be without major design changes. Some changes were made from the Royal's original CG photos however I'm skeptical that either of these changes could be made but could be wrong.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wonderful news:). Thanks for posting:)

As for the pool, we were told by 2 people that they would be removing some of the aft balcony cabins on Marina Deck (and possibly Riviera Deck) to accommodate the pool, and that the remainder of the aft would be reconfigured much like the Grand Class ships, with tiered lounging areas on Lido and Sun Decks, and that there was a possibility of adding a "splash pool" and/or hot tub to the Sun Deck (similar to the SuperGrand Class ships.) It seemed as if this was a done deal.

I had promised to never post pictures of Regal Princess again, but this post gave me pause to reconsider.

Here is a picture of the stern of Regal Princess as of October 19, 2013. It will be interesting to see if, since this picture was taken, they have modified the aft decks at indicated by the description above.

10963889593_1efb04ccdc_c.jpg

(Credit picture to Maurizio Zanolla)

I had promised to never post pictures of Regal Princess again, but this post gave me pause to reconsider.

Here is a picture of the stern of Regal Princess as of October 19, 2013. It will be interesting to see if, since this picture was taken, they have modified the aft decks at indicated by the description above.

10963889593_1efb04ccdc_c.jpg

(Credit picture to Maurizio Zanolla)

This photo seems to indicate that it's very doubtful they'd rebuild the aft end to have a pool with terraced seating around it like Grand-class ships.