changes to the Regal Princess

senior lady

As a stockholder,I can't help but wonder who Princess consults with when they did these designs.I expect these kinds of foolish decisions from the government,not private industry!

I'm sure these kinds of decisions aren't made in a vacuum. They obviously had a design criteria that was heavily influenced by the all-balcony mandate. All other decisions, ex. the stunted Promenade, flowed from that mandate.

Was there any discussion with the Princess staff about the soot issues, and if so, what did they say? We are going on the Regal next year (TA in Oct) and have an aft cabin booked. I am expecting they will have that problem fixed - being very positive :D

On which deck? Some of the aft cabins will be eliminated on the Regal to make way for the aft pool.

On the Britannia the aft pool is on the Sun deck (which has more space for it than the Horizon Terrace) rather than the Lido deck, so my guess is that something similar will be done there since it would be a lot less intrusive than trying to put it into the Horizon Terrace or onto the Marina deck.

It's a remarkable day today.

I am pleased to realize that my small contribution is there.

A Thread and a Poll posted in March 2012

Posted in July 2013

The only thing is still beyond my comprehension: how highly professional people with an ocean of money and a first class shipyard at their disposal could not see basic things that were seen from the first glance and missed the opportunity to build a fantastic ship that the Royal Princess could have been.

The problem remains: an afterthought is always worse than a proper original design.

Will the aft pool be a real or a "splash" pool?

What a future promenade deck will look like with lifeboats placed so close to the superstructure? What about the sloped forward part?

Will there be a connection in the forward end to make it wrap-around (the aft ends can be easily connected making a spectacular spot).

Do Princess have enough will to return a beautiful front observation deck?

Anyway - my respect to this cruise line for eventually listening to us.

I wish them every success in making Princess ship Princess.:):)

It's a remarkable day today.

I am pleased to realize that my small contribution is there.

A Thread and a Poll posted in March 2012

Posted in July 2013

The only thing is still beyond my comprehension: how highly professional people with an ocean of money and a first class shipyard at their disposal could not see basic things that were seen from the first glance and missed the opportunity to build a fantastic ship that the Royal Princess could have been.

The problem remains: an afterthought is always worse than a proper original design.

Will the aft pool be a real or a "splash" pool?

What a future promenade deck will look like with lifeboats placed so close to the superstructure? What about the sloped forward part?

Will there be a connection in the forward end to make it wrap-around (the aft ends can be easily connected making a spectacular spot).

Do Princess have enough will to return a beautiful front observation deck?

Anyway - my respect to this cruise line for eventually listening to us.

I wish them every success in making Princess ship Princess.:):)

So have you booked her yet?:D

3:37 p.m. EST) -- Princess Cruises will add a promenade deck, as well as an aft pool on its newest ship, Regal Princess, scheduled to launch in spring 2014.

Though Regal Princess will essentially be a twin to Royal Princess, the cruise line confirmed that it is tweaking Regal's design after receiving complaints from passengers. In particular, cruisers are unhappy that Royal doesn't have a promenade deck or an aft pool.

"Designing a prototype ship three years out is not an exact science and there are always opportunities to improve upon the original concepts based on real operational experience," a Princess Cruises spokeswoman told Cruise Critic.

The aft pool will be located in an area used for additional deck space on Royal. Royal will be retrofitted with the pool during its first dry dock.

Princess also will make the Deck 7 promenade accessible to passengers on Regal so they can walk the length of the

Thank you so much for this great news.I will circumstances permitting me board the Regal Princess in the future now.:D

It's good to see these changes but hard to understand why the existing midship stairways above deck 7 are not being finished for passenger usage. Unlike the major design changes to add an aft pool the stairways would only require finishing touches to the existing stairways. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

It's good to see these changes but hard to understand why the existing midship stairways above deck 7 are not being finished for passenger usage. Unlike the major design changes to add an aft pool the stairways would only require finishing touches to the existing stairways. :confused:

Weird eh? What we thought would be an easy fix apparently isn't.

This is what I find puzzling. How are they allowing passengers to book if they are still making changes to the deck plans?:confused:

I'm sure it's going to be a "splash" pool. The existing Grand-class aft pools are little more than deep splash pools.... :rolleyes: And I'd bet that they won't be touching the cabins, but will build it atop the Lido deck or above...

Yes, mystifying....

We were on the Royal last week, as well, and also heard from personnel - both "highly placed" and otherwise - that they would be adding an aft pool, that they were very seriously looking into adding a midships staircase (at a cost of approximately $3-$4 Million), and that they were looking into a solution to the soot/fumes problem affecting the aft balconies (which we experienced first-hand, unfortunately.)

As for the pool, we were told by 2 people that they would be removing some of the aft balcony cabins on Marina Deck (and possibly Riviera Deck) to accommodate the pool, and that the remainder of the aft would be reconfigured much like the Grand Class ships, with tiered lounging areas on Lido and Sun Decks, and that there was a possibility of adding a "splash pool" and/or hot tub to the Sun Deck (similar to the SuperGrand Class ships.) It seemed as if this was a done deal.

We were told that the addition of the midships staircase was being very seriously considered and worked on, but that - as of yet - no solution had been found for the soot/fumes problem.

We heard nothing about the addition of a full promenade (don't mean to imply it's not in the works; merely that we didn't hear anything about it.)

Of course, all of this is merely rumor at this point and should be taken with a very large grain of salt, but wanted to pass on what we were hearing as fairly persistent rumor. For what it's worth.

Hope springs eternal.....:):):)

Bob

Good point Frank.....:):):)

Bob

Note that they have not said they are installing a walk-around Promenade...only that people will be able to walk the length of the ship.

I've seen quite a few pictures of that space behind the lifeboats and if they do open it up, which now appears to be the case on Regal Princess, it would benefit them to make it 'one-way only' for walking. As mentioned earlier there is enough space for one person to walk, but not really for two people side by side.

As for the front part of Promenade Deck, I wonder if they will close off access before that 'ramp' is reached, and then have a doorway leading back to the interior. Also, that area forward of the lifeboats and the ramp seems to be right alongside the Princess Theater and stage/backstage areas, so I wonder if it will be closed during performances, etc.

Are Princess really listening to there passegers or panicing over prices. Just had an offer on the Royal for sailing coming up at $399 for an inside.

My fixes

Full promanade

Aft pool

Do away with fountains, have 2 decent pools mid ship

Bring back Explorers lounge.

Midship stairs

Donna;

Those of us that have sailed the Royal have opinions. I wouldn't call us "poo-pooers".....:):):)

Bob

Princess did not feel that way either because they listened to our concerns and took action. I really have respect towards them for this action.:) Heather

Edited by kruisey

Donna;

Those of us that have sailed the Royal have opinions. I wouldn't call us "poo-pooers".....:):):)

Bob

Bob,

You are not a "poo pooer" because you actually sailed on the Royal. I was referring to the many who wouldn't even give it a chance before they nixed it.

I was referring to the many who wouldn't even give it a chance before they nixed it.

Don't need to try it. We know what we like and what we don't like.

If you want to pay we'll try what we don't like, otherwise we're sticking with what we like :p

Bob,

You are not a "poo pooer" because you actually sailed on the Royal. I was referring to the many who wouldn't even give it a chance before they nixed it.

Facts is facts.

I don't have to sail on a ship to know how much the ticket will cost - as a solo I sail in obstr. OV at (usually) 165% fare - balcony cabins cost 200% fare, even the obstructed view ones on the Royal - and that's 200% of a higher fare than an OV cabin. So why would I sail for a much higher price on a ship that does not have what I want - ie a promenade deck? I spend a lot of time promenading and find it one of the most enjoyable parts of cruising. So my next four cruises are booked on the Grand, Golden and Sapphire.

(PS Too claustrophobic to be in an inside cabin.)

Hi All

Lets look at the aft pool

With enough money and time anything is possible,

however what we are talking about costs lots money, and removes money making cabins,

so why do it, only reason is to to fill the ship, if by not having an aft pool Princess is having problems selling out the ship at the price they want

so if we are seeing discount prices just now to fill the ships, we will not see same low prices if an aft pool is constructed,

time, we know ships yards can preform the impossible in weeks just look at the Grand re model, but launch of Regal has been brought forward, would you want to do this if undertaking a big change,

while it is possible and they have the P&O ship plans to work to,

my guess we will see aft pool and other major changes on Royal class ship number three

will we see major changes on the Regal will believe it when Princess tells me, might just ask them tomorrow,

PS those on the Royal just now why have they not told us about the TV crew onboard or did they and I just missed it.

yours Shogun

Re your PS, yes the film crew was everywhere on the Royal last week. Saw them many times, general filming, interviewing passengers (watch for the guy in the kilt from the last Formal night), and following Captain Tony around on a walkabout.

Saw them in a powerboat in St Thomas buzzing around the ship for some exterior shots. I had also heard about them using helicopters, and an MD500 was circling the ship for quite a while as we left FLL, which I assumed was filming the departure, but I overheard a waiter tell a passenger that it was for "security reasons". Still, I'm pretty sure I saw the guy hanging out the door holding a video camera.

I was told that the filming is for an (ITN?) documentary which will show in the UK next summer. Does anyone know more about this, and when would copies be available for purchase in North America. Talk about an amazing holiday souvenir.