Dining Question

funnysocks

Cruise virgin here- excited to be going on a 10 day cruise on the Emerald next March!

We have signed up for the Early Dining option since late dining is just too late for us. The problem is that I have since realized it means we will always miss sunset and I was hoping to catch seeing a couple of those! I was wondering- are you allowed to use the Anytime Dining just for a couple nights? Or are things fixed? Is there another option? (we didn't budget for restaurants)

Thanks in advance,

funnysocks

Depending on the ship you might be able to slip into the Anytime Dining room but you really should not do that. It is frowned upon by Anytime Diners as it creates longer waits for them if others use their dining room and it just isn't fair to take up two dining slots for the evening (the one that is reserved for you at Early Seating and the one that you actually dine at in the Anytime Dining Room).

If you have not budgeted for dinner in one of the Specialty Dining Rooms you can always have one or two of your dinners at the Buffet. That way you can go at any time you choose to dine.

Edited by 2pbears
Proof read

If you choose not to use your assigned dining, your options are the buffet, the specialty restaurants, pizza, or the grill. I would mention room service, but there isn't much on the menu for dinner.

Please do not use the anytime dining room. The seats you won't be using in the traditional dining room will remain empty. A lot of anytime diners already complain about long waits. While you would probably not be denied entry, it really isn't fair.

If you feel you won't want to be eating at the assigned time each night, sign up for anytime.

You will be surprised how many people eat in the buffet. If you go early the food in the buffet can be pretty darn good. If you know you are not going to traditional dining please let your servers know the night before if at all possible.

You will be surprised how many people eat in the buffet. If you go early the food in the buffet can be pretty darn good.
Very true. Early this year, my friend and I never made it to the dining room but instead, ate in the buffet. On the Royal last month, we went to the dining room only three nights out of 18 and ate in the buffet the other nights. I can always find something good in the buffet and often, they have the soups, appetizers and some of the entrees. The beef Wellington in the buffet on the Royal on formal night was excellent. I could ask for a very thin slice, which is my preference. Most nights, both sides of the buffet were busy with most tables taken. Edited by Pam in CA

Sunset is really for just a few minutes, probably about 6:30 PM depending on the day and location.

On the days that it is not too cloudy at sunset time, just excuse yourself from the table to see the sunset. Let your waiter know you will be doing this and he/she can bring your courses accordingly.

Edited by caribill

Sunset is really for just a few minutes, probably about 6:30 PM depending on the day and location.

On the days that it is not too cloudy at sunset time, just excuse yourself from the table to see the sunset. Let your waiter know you will be doing this and he/she can bring your courses accordingly.

Few minutes is correct.

I think the OP will be very surprised at how quick the sunset is in the Caribbean compared to how long it lasts in Canada.

We also like the early traditional dining time, asking for a large table. However when we were late from on-shore excursions, we notified our waiter and our tablemates that we would not be there those 2 nights. One night we ate at the Horizon Court (okay), and the next night we ate with the Any Time dining crowd. Again we asked for, and were seated at a large table; we had a wonderful time, mostly due to the company. I did not notice any crowding or excessive wait time due to our joining the Any Time group.

Cruise virgin here- excited to be going on a 10 day cruise on the Emerald next March!

Thanks in advance,

funnysocks

I looked it up. Sunset in the southern Caribbean in mid March is about 6:50. I will tell you from experience that on the ocean it only takes a few mins. The sun is there then it's not. Maybe you can switch to Anytime Dining. You can eat whenever you want, and if you want you can make reservations by calling the DINE line. With ATD you can also schedule your dining around your activities, rather than the reverse.

Thanks for your responses. I've been to the Carribean countless times, I'm aware of how quick it seems, it's just a tradition that my husband and I have. We will switch to Anytime dining. Thanks again!

That would probably work best for you. We have always used Anytime Dining because we don't want to have a rigid schedule when we are on vacation.

The Anytime Dining rooms are just like the traditional as far as decor and menu. The difference is you go when you want to and you can sit at a table for 2 or elect to join others.

Have a wonderful cruise!The Emerald is a lovely ship. :D

I have done both but will always select Anytime now. We choose large tables with lots of new folks to meet every night. So much fun!

Princess' buffet is usually very good, too. And they have always been 'Johnny of the spot' for bussing tables [unlike the horrible experience I had on the Celebrity Constellation], so a clean one is most always available.

So enjoy AT, and especially all the fun people!

Doug

Maybe I am too new to Princess to know the 'rules' about using ATD if circumstances prevent you from making your MDR time, but if it was me, I would ask the MaitreD your question.

If I was going to do it, I would extend the courtesy of informing my MDR waiters and tablemates so they won't wait for you to show up.

• 3 weeks later...

You can visit the maitre'd at approximately 1:30 on the day of sailing. Get in line at around 1:00 so that you can be one of the first. Then request a table for 2 next to the window (in the bench seating areas) in Michaelangelo for 5:30 - 5:45. You will then have sunsets for half of the cruise.

Even though Michaelangelo is anytime dining, you can get a fixed reservation for the duration of the cruise. Some of the cruise snobs will object to this, but they have the same opportunity to make a reservation as well.

We would call the dining room by 5:30 if we weren't going to use the table that night (so the cruise snobs couldn't complain).