Has anyone heard weird complaints from other passengers about things?

quiksilver23

Cruising between Malta and Spain, we sailed through a NATO exercise, with about 7 warships. One passenger was almost hysterical that we were having to sail through pirate infested waters.....

Wicked! I would LOVE to sail through that! Military toys... awesome.

This is an issue I find concerning. Cruise ships (newer builds) all seem to have moved the life boats outside the boundary of the actual ship creating what I would call an obstructed view. Just came back from Epic and I expected a beautiful view from my up scale Mini Suite. It was actually a view of the top of a life boat. Not a single balcony other than aft suites have what I would call a beautiful unobstructed view.The ship actually lacked a promenade due to those same lifeboats blocked the view and created a very industrial feel with no interaction for those who like to be close to the water and feel connected to the sea. Am I out on a limb by myself?:confused:

Just a few complaints I've heard or seen as a Host or as a passenger.

Tender boarding was located closer to the lower cost cabins. They should have made it more convenient to the suite passengers.

Waiters put too many ice cubes in the water glass.

Stewards left my used soap in the soap dish rather than providing a new soap bar every day.

They wouldn't let me "hitch" a ride on the transfer bus even though there were several empty seats. They said I would have to pay for a transfer. I don't understand. It wouldn't cost them anything to let me ride along.

We barely made it back to the ship before it sailed. We always go to the bar for our normal two drinks before dinner so we didn't have time to change out of our bathing suits and tops, but the nastiest Maitre'd we've ever run into refused to let us in the Main Dining Room.

We just got home from our 12 day Baltic Capitals cruise. Both of us have horrible colds that we caught because it was cold and/or raining at every port stop. We want a refund for the cruise fare but were told that's not possible. We'll never sail on XXXX again. (I'm sure the cruiseline was more than happy to hear that.)

Last night of a 10 night cruise, eating in the MDR at a table for 8 (anytime dining). we are discussing what shows we will be seeing tonight. One couple says they wish they could have seen a show this cruise, but they couldn't afford it after paying so much for the cruise. They were amazed when we all told them the shows were free.

This is an issue I find concerning. Cruise ships (newer builds) all seem to have moved the life boats outside the boundary of the actual ship creating what I would call an obstructed view. Just came back from Epic and I expected a beautiful view from my up scale Mini Suite. It was actually a view of the top of a life boat. Not a single balcony other than aft suites have what I would call a beautiful unobstructed view.The ship actually lacked a promenade due to those same lifeboats blocked the view and created a very industrial feel with no interaction for those who like to be close to the water and feel connected to the sea. Am I out on a limb by myself?:confused:

So just wondering if you are complaining so we can point out your post as a weird cimplaint.

Eat more SHRIMP

Last night of a 10 night cruise, eating in the MDR at a table for 8 (anytime dining). we are discussing what shows we will be seeing tonight. One couple says they wish they could have seen a show this cruise, but they couldn't afford it after paying so much for the cruise. They were amazed when we all told them the shows were free.

Aw, I feel bad for them. Because some lines have begun to nickel and dime for pretty much everything except toilet paper and pillowcases these days, inexperienced cruisers are often led to believe that many things cost above the cruise fare when they are actually included. I'll bet that was on one of the RCCL mega ships where you need to get tickets for the shows--even though they are complimentary. I can see where some might think there would be a charge for those.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Aw, I feel bad for them. Because some lines have begun to nickel and dime for pretty much everything except toilet paper and pillowcases these days, inexperienced cruisers are often led to believe that many things cost above the cruise fare when they are actually included. I'll bet that was on one of the RCCL mega ships where you need to get tickets for the shows--even though they are complimentary. I can see where some might think there would be a charge for those.

We talked to a guy who had previously done a NCL cruise and they had eaten in the buffet almost the whole cruise not realizing there was a dining room that was no extra cost. It was their first cruise.

I know at one time we did not know anything either but after our very first cruise when hubby was handed a drink right after we boarded and then asked for his card we learned to ask. We just pick up the phone and say "is there a charge for so-in-so or is it complementary?" Of course when we first cruised we had it in our mind everyone was "rich" and so we felt intimidated that we would sound like "cheapskates" if we asked now we know better!

At least our mistake was only the price of a drink we did not really want-lol! One guy we overhead on disembarkation day on Mariner of the Seas that was upset because his kids spent $800 in the arcade and on specialty ice cream-lol! Apparently they thought both were complimentary and he did not have sense enough to have it limited what they could spend on their cards.

At least our mistake was only the price of a drink we did not really want-lol! One guy we overhead on disembarkation day on Mariner of the Seas that was upset because his kids spent $800 in the arcade and on specialty ice cream-lol! Apparently they thought both were complimentary and he did not have sense enough to have it limited what they could spend on their cards.

Oh my, what a hard lesson to learn. I could understand expecting ice cream to be complimentary, but I'd never expect arcade games to be so--and my son never did either. We always checked our folio daily to keep tabs of our sins expenditures, just in case. I still check midweek on any cruise or at any resort, just to make sure there are no mistakes, and make sure we aren't going over budget.

Oh my, what a hard lesson to learn. I could understand expecting ice cream to be complimentary, but I'd never expect arcade games to be so--and my son never did either. We always checked our folio daily to keep tabs of our sins expenditures, just in case. I still check midweek on any cruise or at any resort, just to make sure there are no mistakes, and make sure we aren't going over budget.

Autocorrect must know something...;)

Sounds to me as if you work in the wrong area of business (or you work at Walmart) with that list of complaints. (yes I have done retail BTW)
It was a regular old grocery store that I worked in. I actually preferred working in the "quick check" line because I could get people through the line quickly without having to bag a lot of groceries. Again, there were always people who simply did not understand how to operate in public and follow the rules.

It was a regular old grocery store that I worked in. I actually preferred working in the "quick check" line because I could get people through the line quickly without having to bag a lot of groceries. Again, there were always people who simply did not understand how to operate in public and follow the rules.

If I remember correctly most of those post were tongue in cheek. But some don't understand that type of humor

Eat more SHRIMP

On a Med cruise, in Giverny, we were having lunch on an excursion at a lovely farmhouse restaurant. Another woman on the trip took one bite of the Arugula salad with fine balsamic and high quality olive oil and in a loud voice pronounced it "too bitter" and then refused to eat the lunch because she didn't know what it was. I was uncomfortable that she was making a scene in front of the very nice waitress and told the waitress in French that it was delicious (it was) and asked her what it was. "Dinde" was the answer, in English: turkey. LOL!

Later after a visit to Monet's garden this same woman was complaining that there was no formal tour of Monet's home and no signs in the gardens to explain what you were looking at. Somehow, she had completely missed the point, which is to EXPERIENCE the gardens and home in the way Monet, his family and guests had and to capture the memory and emotion of the place - something that requires no sign nor explanation.

My DW reminded me of one more. A woman at our table was very upset that the straw they gave her for her water was too short because it couldn't reach the bottom of the glass.

Edited by Host Walt

I've cruised for many years and it wasn't until after reading all the posts from CC that I knew I should have requested extra compensation for all by "boo boos" that happened. For example, when our toilet backed up and stuff poured out.. well I called and got some officer to come and fix it. But for me, they had the room stewardess clean it up. It was so disgusting smelling that I don't know how she did it. Did I think of compensation for not being able to use our cabin for the day. NO! I felt horrible for our cabin steward that had to clean up the mess.

If it was after noon, it was after dinner for many people.

I don't use that term any more because of the confusion. Around here if someone says 'after dinner' I ask for clarification if they mean Lunch or Supper (no confusion on those terms). It's a regional thing as to when that meal is taken.

Very true. Growing up on a farm in Nebraska, dinner was our noon (biggest) meal and supper the evening meal. I still tend to say dinner for noon, which confuses the grandchildren greatly. They are used to 'lunch' and 'dinner'.

Very true. Growing up on a farm in Nebraska, dinner was our noon (biggest) meal and supper the evening meal. I still tend to say dinner for noon, which confuses the grandchildren greatly. They are used to 'lunch' and 'dinner'.

'Dinner' should always be the name of the largest meal of the day.

john

'Dinner' should always be the name of the largest meal of the day.

john

LOl! The debates goes on! I agree though that that is the word for the largest meal of the day. However, I tend to eat 5 small meals a day for health reasons so I do not have "dinner" except on a cruiseship and I skip some of the courses then.

New builds have moved life boats to hang over the water and not tucked up above the promenade deck thus making every balcony have the same view. The top of a life boat. This is more a question of why the change. With one design change they have changed the view and eliminated the promenade. Its not liked the eliminated obstructed view rooms, they created far more.

I had a guy go on and on angrily telling me how there was no lobster being served and "this is a ship on the ocean! how dare they not have lobster! this is ridiculous!" I told him I didnt care, but he just kept going on about it. It was a really long one sided conversation. I pitied his wife. :rolleyes:

On another cruise I overheard a guy say he cant believe how long he had to wait at the buffet for them to put something out. He then took a mountain of it when they did put it out. Its a buffet, get something else. its not like theres no other choices. :p