Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

Thanks Walt,

My point from the beginning was and still is the fact that the staff on board should be armed with ammunition to uphold the dress code which is posted on line, in the cruise documents, and should be inserted into the daily paper that is in your stateroom nightly......or the cruise line should rethink their policies.

I have a perfect example of a policy change similar to what celebrity has in effect. I belong to the masons and the reason that I own 2+ tuxedos or as my wife calls them penguin suits, so I brought one on our cruise. Our grand lodge in Pennsylvania got a lot of feedback a few years ago from our members and in turn the removed the tie requirement for our members. A lot of the older members balked at the loosening of the rules, but gave in to the policy change. Celebrity should do one of 3 things...a. keep the dress code and police it. B...change the dress code to something less formal. C...keep the current dress code and not police it, make it suggested only. I would be fine with any of the 3 choices as long as they do something.

CELEBRITY DO SOMETHING.

Howard

They won't to do something unless they are losing customers with their current policies. As it is now the current policies are only a suggestion since they don't enforce them. They don't enforce them because they don't want to lose customers. Unless they think they are losing customers because people think they enforce the policy I don't think they will rush to DO SOMETHING.

If they do make a change it is not going to be to enforce formal evenings. It is pie in the sky to think they are going to go in that direction. It will be to make them optional or they will have an Azamara like policy. They know which way the wind is blowing.......

If they do make a change it is not going to be to enforce formal evenings. It is pie in the sky to think they are going to go in that direction. It will be to make them optional or they will have an Azamara like policy. They know which way the wind is blowing.......

You are absolutely correct. A cruise ship is a vacation not a charity ball. Of course those who disagree will call it "rubbish" and won't be censored.

You are absolutely correct. A cruise ship is a vacation not a charity ball. Of course those who disagree will call it "rubbish" and won't be censored.

Why should those that disagree with you be censored? Shouldn't everyone have the right to voice their opinion, like you did?

Why should those that disagree with you be censored? Shouldn't everyone have the right to voice their opinion, like you did?

You are most correct. Of course I said the same thing the other day and it "disappeared".

You're missing the point. Personally I like formal nights to be formal, but couldn't care less if Celebrity made it mandatory to be dressed in formal wear or if they completely did away with it. My point is, I will do what they ask me to do. It amazes me of all the people/adults that have to push back. You know the dress policy before even getting onboard. If you don't like it and don't like to follow suggested policy, for whatever reason, why not find another cruise line that allows smart casual every night?

You're missing the point. Personally I like formal nights to be formal, but couldn't care less if Celebrity made it mandatory to be dressed in formal wear or if they completely did away with it. My point is, I will do what they ask me to do. It amazes me of all the people/adults that have to push back. You know the dress policy before even getting onboard. If you don't like it and don't like to follow suggested policy, for whatever reason, why not find another cruise line that allows smart casual every night?

Probably because what they like about Celebrity, they like more than what they don't like about Celebrity.

As far as following.....do you always follow, do you never rebel? I hope I am never a blind follower. Never have been, never will be.

Are those opposed to the status quo not entitled to express their contrary opinions, or are they to be simply dismissed and told to go away? I personally support Celebrity's current dress code, but I certainly respect the right of others to try to influence Celebrity to make changes.

Probably because what they like about Celebrity, they like more than what they don't like about Celebrity.

As far as following.....do you always follow, do you never rebel? I hope I am never a blind follower. Never have been, never will be.

Charley, I went through most of your posts and only see two Celebrity cruises. :confused: Did I miss something? And only a couple Royal Caribbean. :confused: With as many posts as you have, I would imagine you are active on the rollcall for every one of your sailings. Do you go on cruises and not participate in the rollcall for that sailing?

I will "rebel" when the time is appropriate. Not at the expense of those that appreciate the atmosphere Celebrity is trying create. No matter how you or others try to spin it, Celebrity Cruises IS the host of mine and everyone's cruise vacation. Read the cruise contract.

Are those opposed to the status quo not entitled to express their contrary opinions, or are they to be simply dismissed and told to go away? I personally support Celebrity's current dress code, but I certainly respect the right of others to try to influence Celebrity to make changes.

So let me get this straight. You think the way someone should show Celebrity they need to change the dress code is to show up in the MDR on formal night wearing anything you feel appropriate? The way you "influence" change is to write the corporate office with your opinion. When they receive enough similar ideas from their customers, that's when they start to consider change. How about a picket line on the docks?? Would that do it?

What about smoking on your veranda?? Is it OK if you're a smoker and your "opinion" is the rules are stupid, to smoke on your veranda? Is that 'rebelling" or you just "trying to influence Celebrity to make changes"?

And, I guess I missed the posts were someone on this thread dismissed another's opinion and told them to go away. :confused:

So let me get this straight. You think the way someone should show Celebrity they need to change the dress code is to show up in the MDR on formal night wearing anything you feel appropriate? The way you "influence" change is to write the corporate office with your opinion. When they receive enough similar ideas from their customers, that's when they start to consider change. How about a picket line on the docks?? Would that do it?

What about smoking on your veranda?? Is it OK if you're a smoker and your "opinion" is the rules are stupid, to smoke on your veranda? Is that 'rebelling" or you just "trying to influence Celebrity to make changes"?

And, I guess I missed the posts were someone on this thread dismissed another's opinion and told them to go away. :confused:

I simply supported the right of people to express a contrary opinion. I didn't assess the appropriateness of various means of doing so.

As for smoking, consider it from the opposite perspective: if non-smokers hadn't expressed their opinion over the last number of years, we'd probably have few if any cruise lines with non- or restricted-smoking policies.

The thing with supporting people's right to seek change is that you have to accept it as a principal. It's not something that you turn on or off depending on which side of an issue you sit.

Just off the eclipse it had 3 formal nights. Some dressed way up some dressed way down. We are always somewhere in the middle. We are always focused on each other. I felt bad for the person left at the table while the other walked around judging others and pointing them out. Who cares - dress as you wish and enjoy yourself. I would never wear shorts etc in the mdr but it sure wouldn't ruin my experience if someone else did. I probably didn't even notice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm laughing - I'm 56 and this marriage wasn't my first rodeo :o As to your other comments - I totally agree. If I chose to join the golf club where I live - I have to abide by THEIR dress code. Show up in anything other than a collared shirt - you aren't going to be playing golf. Show up in any color of denim - you aren't going to play golf or dine in the restaurant. Nothing about a cruise line's dress code is different. So you don't agree - then write a letter but to decide to push the boundaries of what they'll accept or not - is rude to the rest of the passengers.

As we have Select dining - I've decided that if the host(ess) seats us on formal night with those that are not dressed in a minimal formal manner - then I will request a different table. Some might not wish to comply but I don't have to let them dumb down my experience.

We're you a child bride? :D

Seriously, we've heard all types of excuses and rationilizations, but the simple truth is there's a part of American society that feels a sense of entitlement. They feel they've paid for their cruise and they can do as they please. I feel they're part of the "dumbing down" of America. You never see this attitude in europe or other countries. They know there are other venues to eat at on formal nights, but they have a blatant disregard for anyone else. Whether it's the passengers or for the cruise line, who's just trying to keep formal in Formal Night. Go ahead and flame me, but the truth is the truth.

Charley, I went through most of your posts and only see two Celebrity cruises. :confused: Did I miss something? And only a couple Royal Caribbean. :confused: With as many posts as you have, I would imagine you are active on the rollcall for every one of your sailings. Do you go on cruises and not participate in the rollcall for that sailing?

I will "rebel" when the time is appropriate. Not at the expense of those that appreciate the atmosphere Celebrity is trying create. No matter how you or others try to spin it, Celebrity Cruises IS the host of mine and everyone's cruise vacation. Read the cruise contract.

I can assure you that Charles has done more than his fair share of cruising on X. I remember Charles from the rec.travel.cruises newsgroups back in the day. Also not everyone participates in roll calls. :)

I can assure you that Charles has done more than his fair share of cruising on X. I remember Charles from the rec.travel.cruises newsgroups back in the day. Also not everyone participates in roll calls. :)

Thanks.

I actually do participate in every Cruise Critic roll call for my sailings although a few roll calls had little activity, so I don't know where the OP was looking. (or for that matter why they were looking) The majority of my 46 cruises have been on either Celebrity/Azamara or Royal Caribbean. About an equal number on each of Celebrity and Royal.

Edited by Charles4515

I'm laughing - I'm 56 and this marriage wasn't my first rodeo :o As to your other comments - I totally agree. If I chose to join the golf club where I live - I have to abide by THEIR dress code. Show up in anything other than a collared shirt - you aren't going to be playing golf. Show up in any color of denim - you aren't going to play golf or dine in the restaurant. Nothing about a cruise line's dress code is different. So you don't agree - then write a letter but to decide to push the boundaries of what they'll accept or not - is rude to the rest of the passengers.

As we have Select dining - I've decided that if the host(ess) seats us on formal night with those that are not dressed in a minimal formal manner - then I will request a different table. Some might not wish to comply but I don't have to let them dumb down my experience.

LOL Jane! You're very beautiful! You know, 56 is the new 39!

WELL! You are going to get flamed for those comments, but they are your opinions. I agree with you. We cannot walk into the restaurant at our local country club wearing jeans or without wearing a jacket. The problem is, Celebrity gives those that like to push the boundries a false sense of security by not enforcing the dress code. Bottomline is, the underdressed passenger wins. We do mainly european cruises and transatlantics. That means I have to travel with my tux, multiple ties and a pair of size 14 tuxedo shoes. Would I if it wasn't the suggested attire of formal night? No. It comes with Celebrity's territory. They ask, I abide.

Thank you Host Walt! These "hot" topics will not get settled here and many times get ugly.

I might even suggest that a sticky be added saying that threads about formal night, smoking and tips are not allowed.....they have been debated to death!!!!

Would love to...but dress code threads, smoking and tips (as well as kids) are all legitimate topics especially because cruise line policies are still evolving (and are usually ambiguous). We just don't understand why these topics usually devolve into so much interpersonal rancor.

So far we haven't seen any threads about kids smoking a Macanudo and wearing black Speedos in the MDR on formal night and who undertipped the Sommelier. But we are expecting one shortly.

No, no, no... THAT was on ANOTHER thread about Captain's Club points conversion! ;) :D :rolleyes:

Some of those posts were worth a fortune 500! :p

Would love to...but dress code threads, smoking and tips (as well as kids) are all legitimate topics especially because cruise line policies are still evolving (and are usually ambiguous). We just don't understand why these topics usually devolve into so much interpersonal rancor.

So far we haven't seen any threads about kids smoking a Macanudo and wearing black Speedos in the MDR on formal night and who undertipped the Sommelier. But we are expecting one shortly.

You forgot babies with swimmy diapers in the pool!

Thank you Host Walt for the BEST post here.....it assuredly made my day!!!!

And then there was the Constellation cruise I was on where the MDR staff got a dressing down (no pun intended) by their superiors because they did not let a woman in who was wearing worn out jeans. She was incensed because she was staying in the Penthouse and claimed those were very expensive worn out jeans!

And then there was the Constellation cruise I was on where the MDR staff got a dressing down (no pun intended) by their superiors because they did not let a woman in who was wearing worn out jeans. She was incensed because she was staying in the Penthouse and claimed those were very expensive worn out jeans!

I assume that was on a formal night. As long as not ripped or torn they are fine for mdr except on formal night, right??