Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

While I am not defending either position, Have you never been invited to a black tie function? Typically on the invitation it does say Black Tie preferred.

:)

No. I am not a member of a country club. I have never been a member of a country club. I have no desire to become a member of a country club. I do not wish to pretend that I am a member of a country club.;)

No. I am not a member of a country club. I have never been a member of a country club. I have no desire to become a member of a country club. I do not wish to pretend that I am a member of a country club.;)

Nor am I, but have been invited to formal weddings, charity events and business functions that require "formal attire". Perhaps dress codes vary based on location. In NYC it is common.

MY PREDICTION:

The next stage (whenever that is implemented) of Celebrity's Formal Nights will be worded as follows:

Evening dress code: Smart Casual / Formal Optional - For those who would like to dress formally, tonight is the night to bring out your formal wear and dress to the nines for your evening pleasure.. Smart Casual, as always, is also completely acceptable.

- Rick

Exactly, rccl now says suggested formal attire. That's awesome. I still do specialty restaurants on those nights. Once celebrity allowed jeans I came over to give them a try.

Edited by Bosjoe

Many events in this world are hosted and not all are "country club" Black Tie events many events that are hosted may suggest attire..it can be any type of party ie dinner, cocktail.. a fund raiser or a holiday or even a swim/pool party.

Edited by rucrazy

Last Christmas DH and I went to a "tacky Christmas sweater party". Only a handful wore a tacky sweater.

Did I chastise them for not abiding by the request of the host?? No, I enjoyed the party and the company - happy to be in my tacky sweater.

Just don't get all the fuss over formal night!! :confused: If you like dressing up, dress up. If you don't....wear something else. Yes, it is a 'suggestion' for the evening, meant to sell photos, provide variety, whatever! Why must some be so judgmental??

Packing for your cruise

To better help you prepare for your vacation, here are some guidelines on what to pack. Keep in mind that 'relaxed elegance' are the bywords for dress onboard each of Celebrity Cruises' ships. And though your own taste, interests and destinations will determine what you pack, you'll need three types of clothing: casual shipboard attire or day wear, comfortable apparel for sightseeing and evening wear.

What to Pack

OK. So what do you pack? You'll need three types of clothing-casual or day wear, clothes for sightseeing (this clothing also needs to take into account what excursions you have planned) and evening wear. When you're on the ship or in a port of call, stylish resort wear is fine for everyone. If you're traveling in a warmer climate, this includes walking shorts and polo shirts, swimsuits and cover-ups, lightweight slacks or skirts and a light sweater. For cooler climates, you'll want casual clothing that can be layered. Don't forget to pack a raincoat or umbrella, and perhaps a waterproof hat and gloves. On any Celebrity Cruise it's smart to bring comfortable, rubber-soled shoes, hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. And, remember to pack your prescription medications and other personal care items you'll need.

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

This is what it says on the Celebrity website. It doesn't say anything about "suggested", it says this is what is appropriate. You can choose to follow it or not but let's not make excuses. Wear whatever you like but be prepared for the consequences of your choice. Most people do abide by the dress code. For those who like to feel they are getting away with something...go right ahead. Just don't lecture people who are doing as requested and try to give correct information to others.

Edited by Ma Bell

What does having to be a member of a country club have to do with it. I've never been a member of a country club, but have attended many, many black tie events over the years.

Honestly, these threads are tedious. They should be in the cliche dictionary for "Beating a Dead Horse."

Nothing is going to change. Celebrity needs to fill berths (thus the laxness) and generate revenue (thus the continuation of formal nights). If you think the "host" gives a hoot about maintaining "decorum" was, for us, shattered many years ago when we spent an enjoyable evening in a public venue, on formal night, with the Captain who was dressed in his day uniform of short sleeve shirt and no tie. He was having a fun night, as were we, though at that time we were formally dressed.

Also, anyone who has sailed Celebrity in the last 5 years (since the S-class rollout) and hasn't noticed a distinct change in demographics is either living in a cloud or simply refusing to accept change. Ditto if you don't believe the existence of (and marketing of) drink packages isn't a refection of this demographic change.

Last Christmas DH and I went to a "tacky Christmas sweater party". Only a handful wore a tacky sweater.

Did I chastise them for not abiding by the request of the host?? No, I enjoyed the party and the company - happy to be in my tacky sweater.

Just don't get all the fuss over formal night!! :confused: If you like dressing up, dress up. If you don't....wear something else. Yes, it is a 'suggestion' for the evening, meant to sell photos, provide variety, whatever! Why must some be so judgmental??

Yes, and what if the host stood at the door and refused to let people in without a tacky sweater, or possibly if their sweater was not tacky enough?

There is nothing wrong with dress codes if they are presented as suggestions. It's only when they are strictly enforced that they become a problem (except of course if they are applied in the interests of public safety or decency).

I stand corrected Ma Bell. I have not read the dress code for Celebrity in awhile. The wording used to be suggested attire. If Celebrity has changed the wording, they need to enforce the guidelines more. I have been underdressed for events in the past (never on a ship) and felt very awkward. Seeing men underdressed on formal night does not bother me as much as Celebrity not enforcing the guidelines. Ever notice it's almost always a man not dressed appropriately?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

Many events in this world are hosted and not all are "country club" Black Tie events many events that are hosted may suggest attire..it can be any type of party ie dinner, cocktail.. a fund raiser or a holiday or even a swim/pool party.

I recently bought tickets to a concert by an indie rock band who have asked the audience to wear formal attire! :cool:

I stand corrected Ma Bell. I have not read the dress code for Celebrity in awhile. The wording used to be suggested attire. If Celebrity has changed the wording, they need to enforce the guidelines more. I have been underdressed for events in the past (never on a ship) and felt very awkward. Seeing men underdressed on formal night does not bother me as much as Celebrity not enforcing the guidelines. Ever notice it's almost always a man not dressed appropriately?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

It does still happen that the dress code is enforced but I certainly understand why many times they don't. As we can see by some of the posts on dress code threads there are a lot more confrontational people these days.

They really shouldn't have to enforce it. It really is a shame that no matter how much they try to accommodate people who don't care to dress up on formal nights there are still going to be a certain number who's sense of entitlement is so great they just have to make fools of themselves. So be it. There's not much anyone can say or do to change that mentality.

Edited by Ma Bell

Honestly, these threads are tedious. They should be in the cliche dictionary for "Beating a Dead Horse."

Nothing is going to change. Celebrity needs to fill berths (thus the laxness) and generate revenue (thus the continuation of formal nights). If you think the "host" gives a hoot about maintaining "decorum" was, for us, shattered many years ago when we spent an enjoyable evening in a public venue, on formal night, with the Captain who was dressed in his day uniform of short sleeve shirt and no tie. He was having a fun night, as were we, though at that time we were formally dressed.

Also, anyone who has sailed Celebrity in the last 5 years (since the S-class rollout) and hasn't noticed a distinct change in demographics is either living in a cloud or simply refusing to accept change. Ditto if you don't believe the existence of (and marketing of) drink packages isn't a refection of this demographic change.

Like!!!! :D:D:D

Maybe Celebrity can start giving points to those who dress formal on formal nights.

What a GREAT idea......it would make it easier to get to that all elusive "Zenith" level.....wait for it....

"Buffy and I are Zenith on Celebrity and......"

Edited by CaroleSS

I have been to macquerade balls and also costume parties, where if you were not dressed appropriately, entry was denied. The dress code policy will only work if it is enforced. :D

While X does not enforce their dress codes, people will wear whatever they want.

The responsible adult should dress to the designated dress code but host (X) is ultimately responsible for letting them in.:D

It does still happen that the dress code is enforced but I certainly understand why many times they don't. As we can see by some of the posts on dress code threads there are a lot more confrontational people these days.

They really shouldn't have to enforce it. It really is a shame that no matter how much they try to accommodate people who don't care to dress up on formal nights there are still going to be a certain number who's sense of entitlement is so great they just have to make fools of themselves. So be it. There's not much anyone can say or do to change that mentality.

As i see it the only confrontational people here are the fashion police. Who's pointing fingers and lifting their heads up high?