John and Diane are at it Again!

Johnny B

I have really enjoyed reading your posts...are you aware that your captain has a blog about this cruise?

I receive e-mail from HAL and today there was a link to his blog. I found it very interesting, pictures included. He tells of his daily adventures from his point of view being the captain and all. He is very entertaining and I found myself reading aloud to my husband his facts about the ship and ports of call.

By the way he is a bit of photo buff, attending the lectures on photography. He even posted pic's of his beautiful grandchildren he just received.

Then I get to read your posts, I feel like I am truly travelling along with you all. Thank you again.

Sandy

Can you please provide a link to his blog? Thank you.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts...are you aware that your captain has a blog about this cruise?

I receive e-mail from HAL and today there was a link to his blog. I found it very interesting, pictures included. He tells of his daily adventures from his point of view being the captain and all. He is very entertaining and I found myself reading aloud to my husband his facts about the ship and ports of call.

By the way he is a bit of photo buff, attending the lectures on photography. He even posted pic's of his beautiful grandchildren he just received.

Then I get to read your posts, I feel like I am truly travelling along with you all. Thank you again.

Sandy

Here's a link to Captain Mercer's blog:

http://captainjonathan.com/january-4th-5th-2/?WT.mc_id=SM_HAB_JM

On the left you can navigate to the latest ones. I enjoyed reading all the way through to get a feel for the cruise. Capt. Mercer was our captain on the Amsterdam 2 years ago to Alaska and is a very personable man with a great memory.

Karen

Sunday, January 26 - Day 23

At Sea en route to Papeete, Tahiti

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY! For the non-Aussies out there, it’s like Canada Day or

the Fourth of July. To celebrate, we’re having lunch cooked on the barbie (actually, in Australia I believe they call it the grill), and we’re certainly looking forward to a few “shrimp on . . . “ - you get it. I’ve emailed our Aussie friends Greg and Heo with greetings of the day in advance of spending time with them in Sydney. I just hope they hand out Tim-Tams at lunch. They’re one of the best cookies ever made, and I love every possible flavor. I also love Lamington cakes, chocolate and (especially) lemon. If you’ve never had one, I’ll have one for you at lunch.

We have a great group of Polynesians who boarded in Lima and will be on until tomorrow in Papeete. They’ve been extremely busy both entertaining and giving classes on everything from Polynesian dancing to jewelry making to how to play Polynesian instruments. Every day there are tables and chairs set up next to the Lido pool for some kind of jewelry making. The first day they were only about half full, but today people were almost fighting for seats. The singing, dancing and instrument-playing lessons are given in the Crow’s Nest, and at 11:00 this morning in the Queen’s Lounge, the Tahitian team will present the music, dance and costumes of Tahiti, inviting people who took classes in those areas to join them on stage for a last-day celebration.

It’s been easy to identify members of the team. Besides being a few decades younger than the average passenger, some of them wear leis and they are awfully good looking. It’s just not fair that they’re getting off tomorrow.

Last evening was the second and final performance of “The Unexpected Boys.” Their first show was all “Jersey Boys” and this one was music from Broadway shows, including “Mamma Said,” “The Impossible Dream, and our personal favorite, “One More Day” from “Les Miserables,” the play we’ve seen about a dozen times. It was their finale, and they sang it beautifully. They are just such an entertaining group that we’re sad to see them go. They were the guests on “Good Morning Amsterdam” this morning, and although I missed it, I plan to watch it on TV. Now we are looking forward to “The Aussie Boys” coming on soon as well as “Black Tie,” who we hear are boarding in Sydney.

It should be a nice quiet day on board (except for the Australia Day festivities), with 80 degree (F) weather and intermittent rain showers. Perfect day for a nap, doncha think?

Monday, January 27 - Day 25

Papeete, Tahiti

Every time we come to Tahiti, we can understand why those Bounty mutineers wanted to stay. We sailed in at about 7:00 this morning, and even though this island is over-developed and over-populated, the scenery is beautiful. The sail-in is between Tahiti and Moorea, and there aren’t too many places more beautiful in the world.

The ship was cleared at about 8:00, and since we dock right in the middle of town, we just took off and walked and walked. Our first stop was at the multi-story shopping center across the main street to find out about Internet, but then we continued to our really important destination: the Champion Supermarket. We did fill all the food groups: chips, cookies, candy, and apple bananas (which I love). Our bookcase shelf is now re-stocked and the cookies may have a few missing - I’ll never tell. The best thing about shopping in a French supermarket is the amazing variety of cheeses - probably more than a hundred. That and the smell of fresh baguettes as we walk in the door just remind us of being in Paris.

We wandered back along the waterfront, which we had seen first in 2003, when we were here for our 40th anniversary. Coincidentally, our next-door neighbor’s brother lives on Huahine (a perfect island if you’re ever looking), and his son was then the outrigger canoe champion of the islands, and he had paddled from Huahine to Papeete, about 60 miles to win the title. At that time, the waterfront area was a big dirt parking lot, but now, 10 years later, it’s a grassy tree-lined park with lovely walking paths and a few thatched huts. The parking is now all underground.

We unloaded the groceries and then headed to the Marche de Papeete, the large, two-story public market, where you can buy anything from produce to tropical flowers (always our favorite) to jewelry to fabric. We ran into George and a couple of other friends at the little upstairs cafe, so we sat for half an hour or so just trading stories and saying goodbye, as he’s headed home tonight.

Then it was time to head down to our favorite little waterfront bistro (actually a brasserie) called Les Trois Brasseurs, or the three brewers. Like everything else in Tahiti, the prices are a bit steep, but a baguette sandwich and pommes frites, accompanied by a Panache (a combination of beer and 7-Up, like a Shandy) was a wonderful idea for lunch.

Then it was nap time, but it had to be short because we had agreed to Skype with our kids at 4:00 our time (6:00 California time). We bought our Internet card and had a wonderful 15-minute conversation before heading over to the Marche once more to buy flowers and vanilla beans. It was about ten past five, and everything was closing up, but when the lady found out we had cash in hand for the wonderfully soft and fragrant vanilla beans, she opened right up. They’re for our son-in-law who loves to cook, and we’ll send them home in their “care package” from Sydney. The flower lady was also still open, so for $15.00 we bought a beautiful arrangement of bird-of-paradise, ginger flowers, anthuriums and lots of other gorgeous little flowers. If you get to the Marche here, be sure to buy flowers.

That was just about it for us, so we headed back “home” to check out the deck barbecue around the Lido pool. Instead of dining there, however, I think we’ll go to one or more of the roulades (or roulettes) - or food trucks - that assemble every evening around 5:30 or 6:00 right in front of the dock. We’ve eaten there every time we’ve been in Papeete, and even though some of our cruise friends think it must be terribly unsanitary, we love it and haven’t once had a problem.

From our balcony we can see the roulades lining up, and I think they’re calling our names.

Here's a link to Captain Mercer's blog:

http://captainjonathan.com/january-4th-5th-2/?WT.mc_id=SM_HAB_JM

On the left you can navigate to the latest ones. I enjoyed reading all the way through to get a feel for the cruise. Capt. Mercer was our captain on the Amsterdam 2 years ago to Alaska and is a very personable man with a great memory.

Karen

Thank you for posting this link.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - Day 25

Moorea, French Polynesia Opunohu Bay

Moorea. What more do I need to say? If you’ve been here before, you know how wonderful it is. If you haven’t, then put it on your list. If Papeete is all business and cars and the ruination of Paradise, then Moorea IS Paradise. I think it is far more like old Polynesia than almost any island I’ve been on. When I think about the South Pacific song “Bali Hai,” I always think about looking from Tahiti to Moorea, even though I know that it’s not the island that James Michener was writing about.

Last evening, before “all aboard” at 3:00 AM, we wandered through the Roulottes near the ship to choose what we’d have for dinner. On George’s recommendation, I had the lemon chicken, and John opted for the fried rice. They were both delicious, and we suffered no digestive problems from them, even though some passengers think that eating anywhere off the ship (or at American franchise restaurants) is dangerous.

Upon our return to the ship, we found seats around the pool on Deck 8 aft, where Debby Bacon was playing the piano, clarinet, saxophone and singing, as advertised, “under the stars.” She really is quite multi-talented and an amazing entertainer. About 9:15 the audience began to drift away to find seats in the Queen’s Lounge for the wonderful Tahitian music and dance show with seven musicians and thirteen dancers, both male and female. They were so talented and with all that motion, I can see why they’re all so thin!

We sailed from Papeete at 5:00 AM, and when we woke shortly after 6:00, we could look back at Tahiti and forward toward Moorea, since they are less than ten miles apart. We anchored in Cook’s Bay, and then tendered over to Opunohu Bay where the seas are even calmer. Coincidentally, on John’s recommendation, I’m reading a novel called All Good Things: From Paris to Tahiti, a memoir by Sarah Turnbull, an Australian married to a Frenchman. They lived in Paris for several years, until he was transferred to his company’s law office in Papeete. They decided to live on Opunohu Bay, Moorea, and he commuted each morning the 14 km. to work across the water. As we sailed into Cook’s Bay, I was sitting on the verandah reading about the author’s first visit to their home on Opunohu Bay, right next door. It was really a coincidence, but it made me appreciate this beautiful island even more.

John and I like to find books about our destinations to read in advance, as it gives us better insight into the destinations and cultures that we will be visiting. Even though Eat, Pray, Love was a very popular piece of “chick lit,” it was a great introduction to Bali and India before we arrived there in 2008. Blue Latitudes was a wonderful history of Captain Cook’s explorations in the South Pacific. Anyway, you get the idea.

After getting off the tender, we took the walk that’s by now quite familiar to us - past the souvenir stands, to the corner and right. A two-mile walk along the island’s only road took us, as it always does, past breadfruit trees (where are you, Captain Bligh?), roadside fruit stands, beautiful inlets, and homes of many Tahitians to the Intercontinental Hotel, where we can fully enjoy the beautiful beach and have lunch overlooking the gardens and the beautiful pools. It’s a wonderful way to spend the day on Moorea, and the ocean beyond the Intercontinental beach is warm and clear, just calling to us to swim out as far as we wanted.

The temperature was forecast to be in the mid-90’s with high humidity, and we certainly felt it on our walk and for awhile at the beach. Then, however, the clouds began moving in and there were a few sprinkles, at which time we decided it was time for lunch. We shared a mahi mahi burger that held some of the best fish we’ve ever eaten, along with a boatload of thin, crispy fries - soooo good. Almost forgot to mention the draft Hinano beer and another Panache that both taste wonderful in this hot weather.

After lunch we were lazing by the pool when we heard familiar voices and saw our friends Dick and Jan Yettke along with Yuri and Val, half of “Black Tie,” one of our favorite entertainment groups and a couple we’ve become very friendly with. We chatted for awhile until the rain began coming down in earnest, at which time Dick volunteered to drive us back to the tender port - an offer we didn’t have to think about very long.

A quick tender ride took us back to the ship. Since arriving, we’ve spent the time on our verandah in the sun looking at the beauty that is Cook’s Bay and Moorea. It really is a wonderful place.

[

John and I like to find books about our destinations to read in advance, as it gives us better insight into the destinations and cultures that we will be visiting. Even though Eat, Pray, Love was a very popular piece of “chick lit,” it was a great introduction to Bali and India before we arrived there in 2008. Blue Latitudes was a wonderful history of Captain Cook’s explorations in the South Pacific. Anyway, you get the idea.

I totally agree thats its great to find books to read in situ so to speak. I have such memories of reading Somerset Maugham on the eastern Orient Express and looking out at the very tea plantations he was describing:and Hemingways "A movable Feast" is a must for Paris.

Right now i am reading Graham Greens "The quiet american" as we are going to Viet Nam. So fun.

I am loving your trip journal. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures. You and your husband have a great attitude. Up beat and positive but realistic. a Perfect tone. May you continue to have a smooth journey.

I am really enjoying yoour blog (as I have in the past, as well). We'll be taking the 30 day Hawaii, Tahiti cruise next year. I definately will check out the Roulottes while in Papeete. That's a great tip. I was wondering about the Intercontinental on Moorea. Do you have to pay a day charge to go to the beach at the hotel or just buy something in their bar or restaurant? It sounds like a place we'd like to spend some time. Thanks for any info.

Wednesday, January 29 - Day 27

Bora Bora, French Polynesia

If you rate days on a one through ten score, then today was an eleven! Thanks to our Cruise Critic friends, a tour was set up with Patrick, a six-generation Bora Bora resident, and it was amazing. It was a full day on the water and the motus of Bora Bora, and it could not have been better. The water here is pale blue and turquoise and the island itself is crowned with jagged green mountains, some of which still have World War II gun emplacements.

Since Bora Bora is accessed by tender, we all gathered at the port between 8:30 and 9:00 to meet Patrick and his band of tattooed merry men. It’s funny about tattoos; at home I really, really dislike them, but in the South Pacific, where they originated, they just look far more appropriate, especially as most of them are specific to that man’s family group. John and I, along with Jeff, Ellen and Aart, boarded one of the three little boats and headed out around the island.

Our first stop was outside of the reef, where our snorkeling showed us hundreds and hundreds of brightly colored fish and some non-threatening sharks. I’m a real “water wimp” who thinks that the 80-degree water in our local pool is too cold, but this water was just perfect - probably about 85 degrees.

Our most dramatic stop was the next one. While it was only about three feet deep and many people just chose to walk in the water, most of those on our boat put on their snorkels to be able to better see what was in the water, and boy, was it dramatic! There were dozens of sting rays, completely unafraid of us, who would swim by so closely it was almost as if they were dogs wanting to be petted. The surprising thing to me was that they were so silky and soft, but John thought they were just plain creepy. In addition to the rays, there were reef and lemon sharks, mostly between four and five feet long, and while they weren’t dangerous or aggressive, neither were they as friendly as the sting rays. In addition to the rays and the sharks, there were also dozens of brightly colored fish of all sizes and shapes; it was a truly incredible stop and I didn’t want to leave.

Afterwards, we headed to an area about forty feet deep which was filled with brightly colored corals as well as tropical fish of every possible size and color. My favorites are always the yellow and white fish I always think of as angel fish as well as the neon blue ones. In this spot, there were literally thousands of fish, and the plainest of them I called “prisoner fish,” because they were striped with grey and white.

Lunch called, however, so we headed to a motu, or small island, where some of Patrick’s crew had been grilling fish, including tuna, mahi mahi, and parrot fish. In addition, they had dug a pit like a Hawaiian luau pit, in which were cooked two small pigs, plantain bananas, and breadfruit. Then there were several kinds of fruit and beverages of all kinds. Our “picnic table” was set in about a foot of water just off shore, and we ate and laughed and had a wonderful time. After lunch there was a demonstration of how to open and drink from a coconut as well as how to shred the coconut meat with just a knife. I’m not a real coconut fan, but it was really pretty good.

Our other accompaniment during lunch were some intermittent showers, but since we were already wet, it wasn’t a problem. In fact, the gorgeous rainbows the showers produced had everyone reaching for them cameras. By the way, for the best of today’s photos, both above and below the water, check out Jeff’s blog.

Then, with full stomachs and having had plenty of sun, we headed back around the island to the port. I don’t think there was anyone - at least on our boat - who didn’t think it was one of the best days they’d ever had. We were salty, sunburned, and in a bit of a food coma, but I think any one of us would do it again tomorrow, given the chance.

After we dropped off our bags in the cabin, we headed straight to the aft pool, where we just jumped into the water to wash off the salt. The swimsuits are drying on the verandah, I’m in need of a nap, but this has been a day I’ll never forget. James Michener, who was stationed here during WWII, had it right: Bora Bora is paradise.

P. S. Regarding the Intercontinental in Moorea, you don't have to pay to use the beach, but you may not use the pool without paying $90.00 per person (yikes!)

Thursday, January 30 - Day 28

At Sea en route to American Samoa

Well, I guess there are always problems in paradise. On this cruise, so far, it’s been the “new and improved” internet system which seems to cause more grief than anything else. Right now it seems to have hit a crisis point; we’ll just have to wait and see how things shake out.

The first problem, early on during the Christmas cruise, was that passengers had a hard time just logging on. We’d put in our user names and our passwords and then it would go nowhere. Eventually that got worked out, but then it got worse. The next problem which drove people ‘round the bend was that we could log on but then get absolutely nowhere. The system was just sitting there sucking up our minutes and doing nothing to help us connect with the outside world. When enough people complained, the powers that be decided that they would honor requests for lost minutes, and that made most people happy.

Now, however, it seems that people are having trouble accessing their email accounts. We are not suffering this problem, but boy, have we heard enough about it. Apparently the ship has now flown one or two “techsperts” in from the U.S. to help bring the system up to snuff. There was an announcement in the newsletter day before yesterday that passengers could make appointments with these young men during certain hours to help solve the problem. One of our friends, however, pointed out that there was a caveat to this help: the passenger must be willing to leave the computer behind (although not usually necessary) and to sign a waiver that HAL would not be held accountable for any problems with the computer. Well, that caused things to hit the fan. The friend who pointed out this problem had an appointment yesterday to discuss it with higher-ups on the ship. We have not yet been appraised of the results of this meeting.

It’s fairly funny, I guess. For years, we sailed blissfully along, knowing that we were at sea and that if we wanted to communicate with those at home we could use the phones when in port. Now, however, we’re so attached to our instant communication that we all get fairly cranky without it. Of course, the cruise line is making a tidy profit on our frustration, and I think that’s the bottom line of everyone’s annoyance.

I guess anything new, especially in technology, takes awhile to get over the initial bumps. That seems to be the problem here, and we hope that it doesn’t take much longer for everything to settle out.

Friday, January 31 - Day 28

At Sea en route to Pago Pago, American Samoa

We had a short but very funny discussion in the Crow’s Nest last evening about the pronunciation of our next port. Most of us know that it’s pronounced “Pango Pango,” but Aart, Ellen’s beloved, insisted that it was spelled “Pago” and should be pronounced “Pago.” We did quickly correct him of that idea, and tomorrow we’ll be there.

Last evening was formal, with a tropical theme. John got to wear his new tropical print

cummerbund and bow tie which looked really quite elegant. On formal nights the crowd at least doubles in the Crow’s Nest before dinner, and last night was no exception. We enjoyed wine, complimented everyone’s formal wear, and finally headed out to dinner, where our “officer” was Renee Felton, the spa manager and a good friend.

The show last night was one of our all-time favorites, with our friends from Black Tie.

We first met Yuri and Val, Con and Sue in 2008 and have enjoyed spending time with them every time they’re on board. Yuri is one of the funniest people we know as well as one of smartest, and he has joined us for Trivia several times.

Today was yet another blissful sea day; I paid bills and we only came in third at Trivia. It was also one of my favorite lunches: the Mongolian Cookout, which is actually a stir-fry rather than the barbecue that it sounds like. If you’ve never enjoyed one, it’s a delectable dining experience. You choose the noodles, vegetables and meat or fish you’d like, pile it on a plate, and then get in a line to have it all stir fried with whatever accompaniments you like: soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, etc. I do love noodles and I love Mongolian Cookout days.

After we sat down to eat, Yuri and Val came and joined us and we talked and talked and talked. We enjoy hearing about their kids, George and Natalie, who are just as musical as their parents. George, at 19, has just been accepted into the music conservatory in Sydney, and Natalie continues to be a violin virtuoso. We double checked that Yuri and Val would be joining us for dinner tomorrow evening, and then they headed off.

John and I were both in the middle of really good books (I’m reading my way through Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon series), so we headed back to the cabin to read on the verandah, followed of course by the requisite nap.

We’re really looking forward to Pago Pago tomorrow. We’re hoping to jump on a bus for a ride around the island, perhaps raid one of the local grocery stores for some snack necessities, and, of course, find some free internet, the goal of virtually everyone on board. We’re looking forward to a very good day.

Linda and I enjoy reading your posts. So many memories of our 2012 & 2013 WC are brought to mind, it is almost (but not quite) like being there with all of you. Thank you. We look forward to following your future posts.

Ralph