John and Diane are at it Again!

Johnny B

This is such a great thread! Thanks for taking the time.

Love your description of the birthday party. Jeff's photos were super! This type of thing really illustrates why HAL Grand Voyages are so wonderful.

Pax are so happy, smiling in every photo, and HAL bends over backwards in the service department to make the cruise the best possible. It is great to read about it!

Looking forward to more of your descriptive posts!

Yap sounds amazing! Captain Mercer blogged yesterday about PNG and how an officer was attacked while bicycling and is out of commission for an indefinite time.

With that and other reports of guests being assaulted, methinks that'll not be a repeat port anytime soon for HAL!

Tuesday, February 25 - Day 52

At Sea en route to Manila, Philippines

John and I firmly believe that if you’re on a ship, you should know you’re on a ship. In the last twelve hours or so, we have really known we’re on a ship. We are rocking and rolling and - the real bottom line - there are green apples and saltine crackers on the front desk as well as little white bags outside the elevators. Most of the crew doesn’t even bat an eyelash at these seas, but a few young people who are on their first contract are looking a little green around the gills.

Because of the LeCirque dinner in the Pinnacle last evening, there were only five of us at the table, the other four having abandoned us for the specialty dinner. We all agreed that the ship’s rocking was not only entertaining (it looks like you’re dancing even when you’re not), but it helps you to sleep better. I guess we’re all just a few steps away from a peacefully rocking cradle. Because there were so few of us, dinner didn’t take very long, and instead of staying up until 10:00 to watch the show, we decided that it was reading time in the cabin, a good way to rest up from the excitement of John’s birthday.

Even though the lights went out before 10:00, we slept until almost 7:30 this morning, so I think we are pretty rested now.

Today is the first meeting of the Book Club for a discussion of our new book, The True History of the Kelly Gang. It’s a fascinating first person historical fiction about Ned Kelly, the most famous outlaw in Australian history. The narrative is written in what would have been Kelly’s semi-literate tale, and it’s an interesting view of how the Irish immigrants were treated by the English in Australia. The fact that it won the Booker Prize really sold me, and although I’m only about a quarter of the way through, I’m really liking what I read. I still have more than 50 pages before this afternoon’s meeting, so I guess I’d better get to it.

This evening is a cocktail party given by our friends Jan and Dick Yetke in celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary. They decided to hold it on board because, as Jan said, “This is where most of our friends are.” The actual date is this summer, when they’re taking their children and grandchildren to Hawaii to celebrate. Having celebrated our own 50th last summer, we know what a milestone it is. A friend who did some research on it told us that only 5% of all marriages celebrate a 50th anniversary. Who knew we were so rare?

The sun has come out, so I think it will be a tanning day. Off to “the beach” on Deck 8.

Wednesday, February 26 - Day 53

At Sea en route to Manila

One of the great entertainments on board ship is the laundry room. The best thing about being 4 or 5 star Mariners is the free laundry, but today I had a bunch of things that I don’t trust to them. While it’s wonderful to have someone else wash and press everything, I think they do it in 500-degree water and press with 400-degree irons. John’s best (Thomas Pink) formal shirt came back with three small holes in it, a bit of a repeat of two years ago when yet another Thomas Pink formal shirt came back with a tear clear across the back. The explanation was that the fabric was “very fragile” and tore easily.

Anyway, as much as I love the laundry service, I discovered that there were a few things that I wanted to wash myself (including the above mentioned shirt) so I headed down to the laundry room. What a busy place! If you want to see an argument or even a fist fight onboard ship, the laundry room is the place. We’ve seen and heard about women screaming at each other for removing finished laundry from the washer and putting it either in the dryer or a basket. In 2012, there was even an episode when two women went to get their husbands who, needing to protect their wives’ positions regarding laundry, did everything short of exchanging blows - right in front of the washing machines. I guess if you look at it with a sense of humor, it would be entertaining.

Today, however, was pretty boring. I was told that all four washers were busy but were within a minute or two of finishing. Since the only laundry basket was full, I was asked to come back in about 10 minutes when the owners would have put their wash in the dryer. When I got back, there was indeed a free washer, and there was a woman who helped me figure out how to work the machine - all the time looking at me like I was just a little slow. When I commented that this was the first time I’d used the laundry room, she just smiled and said, “Oh, you just got on in Sydney?” I responded that I had boarded in San Francisco on December 18, and she looked at me in horror, thinking that this was the first time I had washed clothes since then. Taking pity on her, I explained that I had free laundry privileges and had sent everything out. Then her look changed to one of wonder as she asked, “How do you do that?” I explained, and then everything was fine.

Speaking of fisticuffs, Gene, our cruise director, said that the only time he’s had to stop a fist fight from breaking out was during Trivia, because some people take it waaaay too seriously. (I guess he hasn’t been in the laundry room either). I think those people need to consider the name of the game before they smack anyone else over an imagined slight.

I guess these are the kinds of things that happen when you put 950 passengers and 600 crew in a mostly closed environment for four months. There’s lots to do, but if I get bored I’ll just wander down the hall to the laundry room.

BTW, Dick and Jan Yetke’s cocktail party last evening to celebrate their 50th Anniversary was just wonderful. They had invited 100 of their closest friends and I think we all had a wonderful time. The wedding photos on an easel were a great touch. The bar was open, but that wasn’t the reason people were weaving; the seas were pretty active, but today they’ve settled quite a bit. Dick and Jan are a lovely couple and we’re glad they’re our friends.

Diane, enjoyed your "laundry room entertainment." Reminds us of the time when we joined a world cruise at the halfway point. Two couples who were on the full cruise were in the dining room for dinner. One couple wanted the curtains closed to block the setting sun. The other couple wanted the curtains to stay open so that they could enjoy the view. This resulted in an argument which lead to one husband stabbing the other husband with a fork.

We join you in Hong Kong for the second half of your world cruise. Hopefully we will not encounter "cabin fever" syndrome. Perhaps it will be refreshing for those who are on the full cruise to have fresh blood board.

Looking forward to meeting you and John...but not in the laundry room. Fortunately or unfortunately we also have free laundry service.

Ed and Donna

Thursday, February 27 - Day 54

At Sea en route to Manila

After a few days of “isn’t it great to stay inside” weather, today dawned sunny and beautiful, with puffy clouds in the distance and blue ocean beneath us. We are cruising off the Philippine Islands, more specifically through the San Bernardino Strait. The captain announced yesterday that he was slowing the ship down to 12-1/2 knots (when our usual speed is closer to 16-17 knots) so that we would sail through this beautiful group of islands in daylight rather than in the middle of the night. He’s quite thoughtful that way.

Early this morning we passed north of Tacloban, the site of the recent devastating cyclone. We are now passing the southern tip of Luzon island, where the captain has pointed out several volcanoes. We can see miles and miles of white, sandy beaches and it makes us think of Puerto Princessa, a beautiful Filipino port where we called in 2012 and spent a wonderful day at the beach.

The Filipino crew is now almost beside themselves with the excitement of seeing their families and loved ones. They are within cell phone range, and we’ve seen a couple of them sneaking behind a curtain to get in touch with those left at home. One of our favorite baristas, Vilma, is disembarking tomorrow for a two week break. Then she’ll join her husband on another of the HAL ships, a change made by Henk, our hotel manager, who very quietly does these kinds of incredibly thoughtful things without telling anyone. He is such a great guy!

We are looking forward to Manila also, but obviously not with the same anticipation as the crew. It’s an overnight port, so we’ll have two days to enjoy it. Tomorrow we’re scheduled to take a Cruise Critic tour to Corregidor. For comparison, we’re paying $90.00 each for an all-day tour while the ship’s tour is $239.95. We all take the same ferry, have basically the same tour, but . . . wait - they get lunch! Oh well, I guess that’s why the difference in price.

This evening we’re going to be in the back room of the Pinnacle for the third time in a week, this time for a smaller celebration of Dick and Jan Yetke’s 50th anniversary. They’re a lovely couple and have become good friends. We’re really looking forward to the evening. I feel like we eat more in the back room of the Pinnacle than at our own dining room table. Oh well, can’t complain - the food is excellent!

Trivia update: Of the last three sea days, we’ve finished first once and second twice. It’s probably bad luck to say that just before going to play, so I’d better go into the library and start reading the encyclopedia.

Friday, February 28 - Day 55

Manila, Philippines

What a wonderful sail-in to Manila and an even better welcome. First we sailed between beautiful islands on the approach and then among dozens of boats and ships as we headed to our dock which is about a block away from the Hotel Manila. In two previous visits, we’ve really grown to enjoy this beautiful city, but as our port lecturer Barbara said, “A city is still a city so be careful of where you go and what you do.”

We were greeted by a host of talented Filipinos on the dock. They were playing drums, xylophones, and the little wooden shaken instruments whose name I can’t remember. There were dancers, people walking on stilts with huge oversized masks, and all kinds of others entertainers. The welcome in Manila is always the best of the cruise. Usually you just have to fight other passengers for a place at the railing on Deck 3, but of course today there were innumerable Filipino crew members who were also enjoying the show and avidly waiting until they could see their families.

Our tour to Corregidor today was an 11 on a 10-point scale. We had a 90-minute boat ride across Manila Bay to the island and then spent about six hours touring the entire island. I knew that Corregidor was important in World War II, and I knew that there was a Bataan Death March, but I didn’t realize how close these two important sites are to downtown Manila. I also didn’t know that it was the last Filipino-American holdout to fall to the Japanese. Once on the island, our guide pointed out Bataan just across the bay, where thousands of Filipino and American soldiers were forced to march 120 kilometers with no food and no water, and the punishment for falling by the wayside was death.

Once we arrived at the dock, we were assigned to adorable little cable-car looking buses with open-air sides so that we wouldn’t miss a thing. Our first stop was at the Malinta Tunnel. It truly is carved out of the bowels of the mountain and contained a hospital, living areas and the headquarters of General Douglas MacArthur who, when he left Corregidor, said the famous “I shall return,” which he did in 1945 after the island was back in Filipino-American hands. As we walked through the tunnel, which is about a quarter mile long, we enjoyed an outstanding sound and light show which told us about what went on in the side tunnels, like the hospital. When the tunnel was in Japanese hands near the end of the war, American soldiers were poised to invade it, but 40 Japanese soldiers, in the spirit of Bushido, packed the tunnel with explosives, killing themselves and the American soldiers above as well as demolishing parts of the tunnel itself.

We then drove to the only hotel on the island and, surprisingly, had a delicious lunch included - so there, HAL tour! And for you massage fans, the hotel offered massages for $10.00 an hour. I wanted so much to stay.

After lunch we continued driving around the island, visiting the Filipino memorial, the Japanese Peace Garden and memorial, and the bombed out barracks which look like a concrete jungle gym. One of them was called “One Mile Barracks,” because while it was only a third of a mile long, there were three stories to it, so . . .

The drive around the island was just beautiful, with tropical landscape, turquoise water, and monkeys climbing the trees. We could not have had a better tour.

We were dropped off at the Robinson Mall after our return boat ride so that we could buy presents for tomorrow’s birthday party. The 3-year-old is getting a Play-Doh make- a-cupcake set and the 13-year-old is getting a cute outfit from Mango. We’ll meet at 9:00 on board and be transported to the party. We’re really looking forward to our second day in Manila.

P. S. Thanks for the comment, SJSULibrarian. We're both former SJSU students.

Saturday, March 1 - Day 56

Manila, the Philippines

Today could not have been any better. It will no doubt stand out in our memories as one of those absolutely perfect days, and it was all because of our friend Manny. You may have noticed that we mentioned The Crow’s Nest from time to time (as in daily) and Manny has been our bar steward there for three world cruises. He’s bubbly and outgoing and we just love him to pieces. About a month ago, he told us that his fiancee’s daughter, Aki, was going to turn three on our second day in Manila and he would like to have a few of us come to her birthday party. We were incredibly honored because in the Philippines family is everything and Manny told us that we were an important part of his cruise family. He invited 11 of us, but Jeff had already made plans so he gave Manny a present for Aki in advance.

We were told to meet in the Explorer’s Lounge at 9:00, and that Manny’s brother Michael would drive us to the party. However, today was the marathon part of the Manila triathalon and all the major streets were blocked, so Michael didn’t arrive until 9:30. We weren’t worried because the party wasn’t to begin until 10:00 and it was “only a 15 or 20 minute drive.” Well . . . the traffic was horrendous and the detours were many, and we saw parts of Manila we had never seen before on the way to Bonifacio, a fairly affluent part of the city. When we arrived at 10:35 (!) it was, fortunately, Filipino time, so everyone hadn’t even arrived yet.

The party was at Jollybe’s, which seemed to us a cross between McDonald’s and Chuck E. Cheese’s, with a specialty of fried chicken. There were over a hundred people in the party room (almost all family) with every seat filled, and we couldn’t have had a better time. The kiddy music was on “maximum volume” and a team of four “kids” were in charge of the party and the entertainment. They sang and danced and we wandered around, meeting lots of people who were absolutely wonderful and welcoming. There was a “Hello Kitty” theme, with decorations everywhere. Lunch, in colorful cardboard containers, was brought in on carts, providing everyone with fries, fried chicken, spaghetti, white rice, and a coke - all my favorite health foods. The seven health conscious people at our table (including the two of us) chowed down. After we had wiped out our lunch, they brought us chocolate ice cream sundaes for the perfect dessert.

There were games, one of which I was talked into playing. It required 5 males and 5 females who competed to see which line could assemble itself most quickly within certain categories. There were birth months, ages (I was at the back!), and the first letter of our first name. Then each member of the losing team (us) had to choose an animal and sing “Happy Birthday” as that animal would sing it. I chose a cow, so I moo-ed my way through the song to much laughter. The 20-somethings on my team were just wonderful and couldn’t wait to ask all about where I lived and what the ship was like. When we were ready to leave, it took an extra ten minutes or so just to say goodbye to my new BFF’s. Needless to say, it was an incredible day and we’ve told Manny that several times now.

Of course, the fun wasn’t over. After a quick jaunt to the Manila Hotel for a pedicure and some free, fast internet, we hurried back to the ship for a presentation by 25 of the children from an orphanage called The Asociacion de Damas de Filipinas. They are just too cute and they sing and dance to beat the band. Their show was about 40 minutes long and earned them a couple of standing ovations. One little boy from the orphanage was sitting in the back and, when I asked one of the teachers why he wasn’t performing, she said that he got seasick - and we were docked! Gene, the cruise director, mentioned that anyone who wanted to donate to the orphanage would find a container at the front desk, and within 15 minutes it contained more than $5,000. It’s wonderful to have people be so generous for such a good cause.

Almost immediately after the show was a huge sailaway party on Deck 3 promenade with hot hors d’oeuvres and free drinks. Boy, did that get a good turnout! Two bands from local high schools performed on the dock and they were great. At 5:00, as we sailed away from the dock, they marched down the dock playing “Auld Lang Syne.” That, of course, was followed by a woman (who had obviously had too much of the free liquor) being pushed down the deck in a laundry cart. Who knows?

This evening we enjoyed a Filipino dinner in the Pinnacle with our friends Bill and Marty, and then we ended the evening in the Queen’s Lounge, where the finals for the HAL “Dancing With the Stars” was held. We went to cheer on our friend Ellen Bethel, dancing the samba, but alas, she was defeated by Miguel who danced the jive. The whole show was very entertaining.

I can’t imagine a better day, but boy are we ready for some rest. We’re just too old for all this activity!

I don't know what happened, but yesterday's blog did not post, so I just posted it. I guess you'll just have to read two of them.

Sunday, March 2 - Day 57

At Sea en route to Hong Kong

There are two florists on the ship named Eddy and Calista and they are true artists. They can use twist ties on flower arrangements and make them look like they belong in an art gallery. There is always a theme to their arrangements throughout the ship, and yesterday’s change of flora has an Asian theme. As Calista was distributing the arrangements, we noticed the use of Asian “coolie” hats with orchids, chrysanthemums, anthuriums and other beautiful flowers. When asked, she told us that she and Eddy had purchased dozens of the hats in Viet Nam last year because they thought they would make attractive floral partners to the blossoms. They have also stripped the chrysanthemums of leaves, giving the impression of Ikebana, or Japanese flower arranging. I’ve asked Jeff to take some photos of the new arrangements for his blog, so you might want to check there to see what they look like.

I don’t think I ever wrote about the response to my lengthy letter to the Shore Excursions manager regarding our trip to the “lovely sandy beaches” of Pig Island. (Shouldn’t I have been able to figure out something from that name?). We received a first response quoting the excursion brochure’s disclaimers about non-English-speaking guides and non-air conditioned vehicles and giving us a 40% discount. For heaven’s sake, we were on a boat (with full air conditioning) with an English captain. I was so annoyed by the lack of response to the REAL problems that I wrote back repeating my concerns, primarily about the overselling of the tour and resultant safety issues as well as the destination itself. Our reply yesterday said, basically, “Thanks for writing. If you don’t like this letter here’s my boss’s address at HAL in Seattle.” Oh well.

I did manage to ask someone at ShoreEx about the difference in price for our Corregidor excursion between the $90.00 we paid and the $239.95 that they charged. The answer was “We always include insurance and it’s quite expensive.” Gosh, at $150.00 difference per person, I’d like to be that insurance agent. Our Cruise Critic tour was run through a Manila travel agent who also has insurance. I just don’t get it. I think I’ll get off my high horse now.

We’ve had a nice quiet day to rest today. It was the final meeting of the book club to discuss The True History of the Kelly Gang, and I still had 120 pages to read when I got up this morning. So . . . guess what I did almost all day? I did finish before the 4:00 meeting and we had a great discussion about the book. If you have any interest in Australian history and the conflicts between the English and the Irish, this is the book to read. It makes me want to find some free internet and read a little more about the history of Ned Kelly. Or I guess I could just stop by Ned Kelly’s Last Stand, my favorite Hong Kong pub, and enjoy a brew.

As it’s Day 57, today is the halfway point in the 113-day world cruise. We’ve enjoyed every one of them so far, and are certainly looking forward to the 56 days remaining.

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us. The day in Manila sounds truly awesome and memorable. I love your wonderful outlook on life and travel which makes for enjoyable reading. Enjoy the remaining 56 days!

Monday, March 3 - Day 58

Hong Kong

There are particular cities that stand out in my mind. I think that Paris is the most beautiful city in the world, London the best for theatre, San Francisco my all-around favorite, but I believe that Hong Kong is the most exciting, both for its physical setting and its busyness. The streets are always full of people and products, and you can find just about anything you’d ever want here.

We began our sail-in at 6:30 this morning, while Barbara narrated for us. We proceeded through a series of islands and harbors (or harbours - British influence) with clouds overhead and occasional rain. The forecast high today is 70 degrees, but I’d be surprised if we got to 60. We docked at the Star Ferry terminal - the very best one - at about 8:00, and by 8:15 passengers were heading off the ship into the wind, the light rain and the cold weather. I’m usually a warm weather lover, but it was nice to be able to wear jeans and a sweater for the first time since San Diego.

We walked all of about a half block to the Star Ferry terminal, where we hopped one of Hong Kong’s moving monuments to cross to Hong Kong Island, with the ultimate destination of the Apple store. We weren’t going for free internet but because John needed a new cord to be able to upload photos from our camera to our I Pad. Mission accomplished.

Next to the Apple store was a Starbucks, and we know free wifi when we see it. As I ordered our cappuccinos, I asked if I needed a receipt for internet and they told me it was free through the entire (incredibly upscale) mall. It was not only free, but really fast, so it was perfect for our next job: Facetime with our kids in Davis (near Sacramento). We were able to talk for a half hour and we got to hear all about the birthday party that our 7-year-old granddaughter had attended that afternoon. She had made a sign that said “I Love You Grandpa,” so you know who her favorite person in the world is.

Afterwards, we headed back to drop off computers at the ship and then went to meet Barbie, Ellen and Aart for lunch. Every time any of us is in Hong Kong, we go to a particular Chinese restaurant which is downstairs on one of the busy streets and absolutely delicious. Another advantage is that we’re the only westerners there and it’s incredibly crowded, so you know the food has to be good. We had dim sum plates which came with fried rice, sauteed vegetables and fruit for dessert. It was tasty and we almost finished everything.

Then it was time to just wander along Nathan Road, the “Golden Mile” of Hong Kong, where there enough expensive stores to choke a horse. That, of course, is in addition to the shops in the Harbour Mall, where we’re docked. The area we walk through has every expensive designer you can think of (Gucci, Dolce and Gabbana, Armani, etc.) - and they’re all for kids. I found a dress that I thought would look cute on my granddaughter and it was $400.00. Children’s shoes in those shops cost about the same. I guess some people just have too much money.

After a break for rest, we met our friends Larry and Cherryl for a trip to the Night Market. We hadn’t been there since we were here for the handover in 1997, so it was great fun. I found a lovely silk top (which will be just smashing with my black palazzo pants) for the upcoming Chinese formal night and an absolutely adorable Chinese doll umbrella to send to our granddaughter. We walked the four blocks of the market until we thought our feet would fall off and then joined Barbie and headed to the real fun: Ned Kelly’s Last Stand, our favorite pub in Hong Kong. Having just finished the book about him, it was quite appropriate. There was a tee-shirt with his picture and an ad for the pub, but I decided against buying it. It would have amused the book club, but I asked the always important question: What am I going to do with this when I get home? I wouldn’t wear it there, so passed on it. We ordered bar snacks and beer, listened to the band play some great jazz, and finally decided it was time to go “home” to the ship.

We had a wonderful, if exhausting day, and now it’s time to get some sleep to do this all again tomorrow.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 - Day 59

Hong Kong, China

Another great day in Hong Kong. Although the weather isn’t cooperating, we must have walked miles today. We began the day by searching out the Post Office - it’s across from the Sheraton Hotel, if you ever need it. We sent our second “care package” to the kids, filled with everything from a polynesian lei to chocolates. One of the things we’ve learned is which places are the best for sending packages. Earlier in the cruise, we sent the first one from American Samoa, figuring that since it was an American port, it would be fast. We mailed it on February 1 and the kids received it on Valentine’s Day, so it wasn’t too bad. The estimate today was two weeks, so it would be about the same. Once we sent a package from Singapore and it arrived in Davis, California, four days later. Wow!

After succeeding in our first challenge, we decided to take the bus out to Stanley Market. Well, that challenge didn’t do as well. We knew the bus number (973) but we couldn’t find the darned bus, even when the lady at the tourist office told us it would leave from the stop across the street. We felt incredibly stupid, but decided to give up on that idea and head over the the Avenue of Stars, a walkway along the bay. It’s patterned after Grauman’s Chinese (how appropriate) in Hollywood, with names and handprints of the most famous Chinese stars. The most popular plaque is that of Bruce Lee, which is paired with a life-size statue of the late star. Jackie Chan is the second most popular, but the hundreds of mainland Chinese tourists which poured out of six or seven buses seemed to enjoy all of them.

Then it was shopping time. If you need it, you’ll find it in Hong Kong. We began at Watson’s, the Hong Kong drugstore for such exciting items as hair conditioner and eye makeup remover. We continued to the supermarket in the Harbor Mall and picked up some of our necessities: Diet Coke, pretzels, and Laughing Cow cheese. You just never know when the ship is going to run out of food! We discovered a great Asian food court in the mall, and we had a delicious Thai lunch of sliced roast pork and veggie fried rice. The “set lunch” even included a Coke Zero - such a deal! It just so nice to have meals off the ship and especially to enjoy some local food.

We have an “Asian Night Market Sail Away” party which will be held from 4:45 until 7:00 in an imitation of an authentic Hong Kong night market with music, hors d’oeuvres, games and souvenirs. The drinks will be for sale, of course, but everything else should bring out the multitudes. Speaking of multitudes, we’ve had an increase at this port. Our friend Peter Wallis, the purser, told us that 110 passengers were getting off and 230 were embarking, so we should be up to about 1100 passengers, still significantly less than the 1375 on the Christmas cruise.

It’s Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras, and the ship has planned a party to celebrate. It’s scheduled for 9:00 in the Crow’s Nest, and we even have a new band up there to help us boogie. It’s called the Katherine Stone Band, and we’re anxious to try them out with a little dancing. A report will be forthcoming.

Now we have three sea days, and as we’re headed south, they should be nice, warm beach days before we get to Singapore. We’re certainly looking forward to them.

P. S. Since this is the beginning of a new segment, we had the required emergency drill. I really hope there’s never an emergency, but if there is, I think some people are going to have problems. That would include people who think the drill is optional (it certainly isn’t) and those like the lady next to me who played poker on her IPad during the entire drill - even though the captain announced that electronic devices were not allowed. Yes, most of us have done innumerable safety exercises, but if anything ever DID happen, we’d be very happy to have paid close attention.

Wednesday, March 5 - Day 60

At Sea en route to Singapore

As we set sail from Hong Kong (such a wonderful port), we joined the sailaway party that was held around the midships Lido pool for HAL’s version of an Asian night market. The prices weren’t as good as the one in Hong Kong, but the dim sum, egg rolls and other Chinese fare were delicious. We sat with Aart, Ellen and Barbie and just exchanged stories about our two days in Hong Kong. Then it was time for showers and dinner before heading to the next event of the evening.

Since we’re a day ahead (less 7 hours) of the West Coast, we celebrated Mardi Gras earlier than the United States. After dinner last night, there was a Mardi Gras party in the Crow’s Nest, suitably festooned with banners and shiny things in the appropriate colors of gold, purple and green. Pretty soon all of us were also festooned, but in beads. By the time we left the party, I must have been wearing 30 of those lovely bead necklaces. As we headed “home” later, we left a few on friends’ doorknobs as an Ash Wednesday surprise.

The show last night was an Australian couple who play and sing a great deal of celtic music as well as other types. They played traditional songs like “Danny Boy” and “Riverdance” and then brought the house down with “The Devil Down in Georgia” (at least I think that’s the title). It was a full evening and my pillow felt soooo good.

Today has been a very quiet one, especially after two busy days in port. We slept until 8:00, which we almost never do, went to the gym, and then just tootled around the rest of the day doing things like finishing my book, playing Trivia (2nd today), and having a long, leisurely lunch by the midships Lido pool. John’s been fighting a nasty cold, so he had a nice long nap, and although I was tempted, I really wanted to finish that darned book.

As the first of three sea days comes to a close, we are really looking forward to the next two. I know some people like cruises that have ports nearly every day, but that would not be me. These breaks are a good part of what makes cruising so attractive.

Thursday, March 6 - Day 61

The chilly, wet weather of Hong Kong is now a thing of the past as we head south toward Singapore. Today it was 80 degrees with a few clouds, but perfect “beach” weather, so we spent a considerable amount of time out on the aft deck by the pool. Actually, after a while it got almost too hot, which made a dip in the pool a great idea. It was a lovely afternoon.

In his daily 12:45 address, the captain said that we were about 25 miles off Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) and we’ve spent most of the day near Vietnamese waters. We’ve been watching the other watercraft, and have seen several small fishing boats as well as a couple of large container ships. We’re in a fairly busy channel here, and it’s fun to watch for “neighbors.”

Last night’s show was really very good. Byron Johnston, an Englishman, is a classically trained guitarist, and in his first show he played many of the great hits of rock and roll, including “Ain’t Got No Satisfaction” and “Layla.” Last night he stayed closer to his classical guitar roots, using only an acoustical guitar and the audience loved him. Tonight we have a quartet of young men who sing acapella, and include such genres as pop, doo-wop, rock, R & B, Broadway and barbershop. We’re looking forward to it.

Meals in the Lido restaurant have become more varied on this cruise. In addition to the two usual sides, including the Asian corner, there is now a noodle cart in one area where there’s a different noodle dish each day for breakfast and for lunch. This morning’s offering there was congee, and at lunch the offering is varied, but includes a bowl with noodles and your choice of additions (green onions, garlic, hard-boiled eggs, etc) and then broth poured over the top. The noodles vary daily, and the couple of times we’ve tried it we’ve really enjoyed it. The line gets longer every day.

There’s also another Asian choice, and it changes every day. Today it was Thai food, and even though we’d already had our regular lunch, we shared a small dish of pad thai because we hadn’t realized what they were serving before we ate. Some days it’s Indonesian, some days Indian, but if you like any kind of Asian food, you’d love the new choices.

Tonight is the Red Lantern Dinner, a formal night which invites passengers to don their best Asian wear. Fortunately, I have the black and gold top I found in the Hong Kong night market, so I’m all set. John is currently in the gym, hoping he’ll still fit into his tux. I don’t think he has anything to worry about.

We still have one more sea day, and everyone is looking more relaxed. People are reading (and napping) in the library, the area around the pool is pretty full, and the lectures are well attended. As I’ve said before, there’s always lots to do, and there are always people doing it.

Friday, March 7 - Day 62

We’re just having the loveliest, smoothest sail on the last of our three sea days. We’re in the South China Sea, just off Malaysia, with blue skies and white puffy clouds. The captain’s noon announcement said that the sea beneath us is just over 200 feet deep - incredibly shallow, compared to the usual one to two miles. We’re near to entering the Singapore Strait, the busiest shipping channel in the world, as we approach the island nation for tomorrow’s 8:00 AM arrival. As we sit on the verandah, we can see eight ships, just on our side of the ship. John was made so curious by the count that he checked the other side of the ship and found . . . zero! I guess it’s best to be on the port side for now.

Last evening was the loveliest formal night, with everyone wearing their Asian formal wear. Some women had full length patterned silk dresses, while others wore embroidered tops and other such things. We met friends in the Crow’s Nest, where our group grows ever larger and necessitates the movement of numerous chairs to accommodate everyone. We had been invited to join Jeff’s table for dinner, and we spent time getting to know his newest table mates, Barbara and Bill Mason, who embarked in Hong Kong.

The show last night was put on by four young men called “Metro,” and it was amazing how many sounds they could make without any accompaniment. When they were introduced, they said what they sang (tenor, baritone, etc), and one was introduced as “bass and percussion.” He could make most of the sounds that the percussion section of an orchestra could. The crowd loved them, but they’re disembarking tomorrow in Singapore, so I guess we won’t see them again - at least on this cruise. Because the duo “Live Wire” was so popular the other evening, they agreed to do a matinee performance this afternoon, and the Queen’s Lounge was at least half full for it - something that doesn’t usually happen mid-day.

I’m really looking forward to tonight’s show, featuring Rustem Hayroudinoff. I’m a big classical music fan, and he’s reported to be a brilliant pianist who has played all over the world, including his native Russia, and frequently in the UK.

At lunch today, our friend Barbie took us as well as Maureen, the Arts & Crafts teacher, to the Pinnacle for a birthday luncheon for John and Maureen. It’s such a lovely place for lunch, quiet and with wonderful food and service. Barbie and Maureen had their five-onion soup for a starter, while John and I had grilled prawn bruschetta - a great choice and beautifully presented. All four of us had the Pinnacle burger for our main, and a larger hamburger I’ve never seen. Because the Pinnacle grinds its own beef fresh daily, it’s the only place on the ship where one can order a medium rare or rare burger. That’s not our favorite, so John and I ordered ours medium, and they came with just the lightest touch of pink. Barbie and Maureen ordered theirs medium rare, and while Barbie’s burger was pretty reddish-pink, Maureen’s looked like the cow just left the room - definitely not the way I like my hamburger. Because the burger was soooo big, there was no way I could finish it, so next time I’ll think I’ll order the crab cakes, since I can do more justice to them. It was a wonderful lunch, though.

Now we’re headed down to the library to borrow one of the books on Singapore that can’t leave the room. We’d like to plan a bit ahead for tomorrow, rather than just getting off the ship and asking, “What shall we do?” as sometimes happens. Regardless, we’re looking forward to Singapore and seeing things we haven’t before.

A Shore Excursion Manager once told me "As you drink your way around the world, there are certain required stops.... Raffles Hotel is one of them."

So, my suggestion is to do just that. You don't have to limit yourself to the Singapore Sling, if you would prefer something else. Stopping there is a nice way to top off the day before heading back to the ship.

Ride the Singapore Flyer, go to the top of the Marine Sands for a drink great view. Go across the casway to Malyasia, some local taxi can take you, good shopping and a totally different experience. If you are big on battles and memorials, there is one on the island, again easy by taxi.

Several times we have gone to the Singapore Zoo to have breakfast with the Orangutans. Breakfast used to be a very simple one and then one orangutan would be brought in, given a bowl of food and one by one we could sit next to it and put our arm around it and take photos. But last time we were there, there was an elaborate breakfast and many orangutans were brought out but we couldn't touch them, but could see them up close for photos. The zoo is magnificent; a tram will take you all around. There are animal shows. You would need to go by taxi. It's our favorite activity in Singapore.

Saturday, March 8 - Day 63

Singapore

Although we’ve been to Singapore before, we do like to do things we’ve never done before, so that’s what we’ve spent today doing. It’s an amazing city, with a 100 year history of British settlement followed by 50 years of independence. In fact, one of the Singaporeans we met today told us that the 50th anniversary of their independence would be in 2015, on August 9 to be specific, and suggested that we come back to celebrate.

We began the day by boarding what is no doubt the cleanest subway in the world. The rules about litter, chewing gum and chewing tobacco really create a city where you could almost literally eat off the streets. We headed to the Singapore Flyer, now the largest ferris wheel in the world; at 542 feet it is 90 feet taller than the London Eye. Since we arrived only a half hour after opening, there were almost no other people there, so we had our own capsule - such a treat. There are 28 capsules, each of which will hold 28 people, and it takes 28 minutes to complete the circuit. Another guide we had later in the day said that 28 is a lucky number here - no doubt. It’s a wonderful ride and enables the passengers to see virtually everything in the city of Singapore. Even for people like me who fear heights, the enclosed capsule makes it seem safer (as long as I hung on to the handrails).

Afterwards, we discovered and walked the “Helix,” a passenger bridge crossing the Singapore River in the shape of a double helix (of DNA fame). Our goal was the amazing Marina Bay Sands Hotel, with three almost separate buildings of 55 stories each. It’s the top that’s the draw, however. It is supposed to be a garden paradise with a bar and restaurant stretching across all three of its buildings. In addition, it has the world’s largest infinity pool, but in order to see all of that, there’s a $22.00 charge, and we decided it just wasn’t worth it.

Instead, we walked through the hotel’s fabulously open lobby and took the walkway to Singapore’s newest treat: Gardens by the Bay. The word “garden” doesn’t do this place justice; it is an enormous tropical paradise highlighted by “Super Trees” which are actually made of metal but have any number of tropical plants crawling up their sides. If you get a chance, Google the place or look at Jeff’s photos - he was there just before us today. There is no charge to enjoy the gardens, but we opted to pay extra to go into the huge “flower hall,” which is a glass structure with numerous types of flora. The theme this month is “The Wars of the Roses,” and those flowers, in all colors, highlight the hall’s central area. There is a Mediterranean area, a South American area, and even a California Garden (but a pretty small one, we thought).

After seeing as much of the gardens as we wished, we headed to the far end of the property where “Satay by the Bay” is located. It’s an al fresco Asian food court, with everything from Indian to grilled fish to fruit drinks to freshly cooked satay. We settled for the “Couples Lunch,” including 20 (small) skewers, 10 beef and 10 chicken (we skipped the liver option) as well as small bowls of peanut sauce for dipping. We wanted some rice to go with it, and we found delicious biryani at the Indian stall. The combination was wonderful and we devoured just about everything except the wooden skewers.

Our last adventure of the day was the Duck tour. We’ve seen these tours in many cities and always thought they looked like a lot of fun. The company uses a Vietnam-era amphibious vehicle which first took us on a road tour of colonial Singapore, where we saw the old court house, the first sports club (cricket) in Singapore, St. Andrews Anglican church, and lots of other things. Then we headed down a ramp right into the river, getting a bit splashed in the process, and continued our tour in the Singapore River (which, by the way, is only 1.2 miles long). Finally we came back up the ramp onto the road and finished below the Flyer. It was a great tour and we learned a lot about this city-state of 5.2 million people.

We’re now enjoying a bit of a rest after walking about 6 miles this morning and afternoon, and we’ll have to decide whether to just go to dinner at Clark Quay or to enjoy the Night Safari at the zoo. I’ll keep you informed.

P. S. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be using a couple of them tomorrow.