Not sure what to call this thread - perhaps Missing Items

wieslaw

Glad to hear you got the wallet back - minus the money. It would have been a real hassle to have to cancel all your cards, etc., and get new i.d. It is sometimes hard to "admit" we ourselves goofed especially on an open forum like this. Thanks for the update, and have a happy holiday!

I have a sad and a happy story of similar events.

Going thru Ft Lauderdale, I was pulled from the line for a pat-down and hand search of my carry on items. Afterward, money was missing from my purse. That's the sad story. Now, I always try to coordinate my body screening with the luggage screening.

Happy story -- I carry a small case containing driver's license and medical cards. It slips in my wallet and I just take it out when needed. Checking in for a cruise on the Explorer, it must have dropped out at some point. I was in a panic, even started to call for replacements, when Guest Services called and told me that someone in the terminal had turned in my little case.

I am sorry you had this experience.

Hi,

Thank you every body for reading my thread and for the suggestions and good wishes.

I do have a happy update:

I just received a phone call from Alamo car rental company from Tampa airport, I was told that they have my wife's missing items in their lost and found department. Everything ( except the money ) that was missing they have. They will send us a package to our home address.

I do not know who and where found our staff. I returned the car at the Orlando airport on Sunday ( Dec 8th). I and wife both checked the car and evidently we did not see our items. It was a little dark in the garage in the return area ....... but that is no excuse, we goofed.

I called the Alamo in Orlando airport on Monday and inquired about the missing items - they did not have them.

Tonight, 4 days later someone found our staff and turned in to the Alamo lost and found in Tampa airport.

Wife did put our names, phone number and address on a piece of paper that was included in the small bag - probably that was a big help in locating us.

So now I know when and where we goofed.

Thank you all and I wish a happy holiday season to all.

I guess I am not too old to learn something new : check the rental car more throughly and do not leave anything valuable in a cabin on the last morning, that is not secured in some way.

So correct me if I'm wrong after all the speculation, etc....you left the items in the rental car?

Glad to hear you got the wallet back - minus the money. It would have been a real hassle to have to cancel all your cards, etc., and get new i.d. It is sometimes hard to "admit" we ourselves goofed especially on an open forum like this. Thanks for the update, and have a happy holiday!

Someone could have written down your credit card numbers, got your address and birthdate from your drivers license .. I would still cancel credit cards and call the 3 credit bureaus and put a security freeze on your accounts .. tell them your story and there will be no charge.

Edited by bigeagle12

The mini bars are NOT locked the night before by anyone.

They are locked on Celebrity. I have to post a note to myself to remove my stuff before going to dinner. Celebrity, also, takes up other things that might "walk" like bathrobes, umbrellas, binoculars, even the hardcover book on the coffee table.

Tucker in Texas

Once I clean out our room safe, my (small) pocketbook never leaves my shoulder.

Same here. It only takes a couple of minutes to empty the safe, and pack its contents in your carry-on bag. We get up early on embarkation day, make sure that everything (except the safe contents) are packed. After breakfast, we come back to the room, empty (and double-check) the safe, and go. :cool:

Hi,

Thank you every body for reading my thread and for the suggestions and good wishes.

I do have a happy update:

I just received a phone call from Alamo car rental company from Tampa airport, I was told that they have my wife's missing items in their lost and found department. Everything ( except the money ) that was missing they have. They will send us a package to our home address.

I do not know who and where found our staff. I returned the car at the Orlando airport on Sunday ( Dec 8th). I and wife both checked the car and evidently we did not see our items. It was a little dark in the garage in the return area ....... but that is no excuse, we goofed.

I called the Alamo in Orlando airport on Monday and inquired about the missing items - they did not have them.

Tonight, 4 days later someone found our staff and turned in to the Alamo lost and found in Tampa airport.

Wife did put our names, phone number and address on a piece of paper that was included in the small bag - probably that was a big help in locating us.

So now I know when and where we goofed.

Thank you all and I wish a happy holiday season to all.

I guess I am not too old to learn something new : check the rental car more throughly and do not leave anything valuable in a cabin on the last morning, that is not secured in some way.

This is so very easy to do. Put something aside while looking for another something in the bag, and then forget to put the original something(s) back in the bag. Especially easy when you are stressed, in a hurry, thinking about getting to the airport, etc.

I am very happy all came out well for you.

I have been paranoid about theft ever since our house was semi-robbed the weekend we were at our son's wedding in 2010. I say semi because they got jewelry from my jewelry box, but were interrupted by the police and ran out the back. A neighbor saw a strange car parked on the street and the police went door-to-door. Bad guy bolted out the back, so the police never knew he was in our house to begin with. I had all my good jewelry with me for the wedding events, thank goodness, but he got some small items.

Ever since then I wear my wallet when I travel, and I keep my jewelry with me in a bag that I never "untouch" with some part of my body at all times. Always hands, between the legs while I sit, on my lap.

The last morning of a cruise all the electronics and jewelry go in a bag that goes with me to breakfast. If it isn't with me, then it's in the safe.

You just get weirder about this stuff after you've been robbed.

• 3 months later...
We too leave somewhat valuable items out in the cabin, no problems. Anything of great value is not left out on display, ... because of the doors being left open while cleaning.

Twice we've 'missed' items.

Nothing of any value. One was ear medication. Found it 6/7 months later, mixed in with the sunscreen.

The other was DH's glasses. Found them 5 months later, mixed in with my sunglass 'collection'.

Hope you have the same luck. :)

Are things like an ipad safe in your room while cruising as long as it is kept in a drawer? Not sure what I need to keep in the safe.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are things like an ipad safe in your room while cruising as long as it is kept in a drawer? Not sure what I need to keep in the safe.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I leave my valuables locked up one way or another, either in the safe or in my suitcase that has a lock. I trust my room steward, it's an issue with them leaving the door open when cleaning that arouses my concern..... do not want passers by seeing what I have out!

Glad the OP came back to let us know what had happened.

Oh boy. Same thing happened to us with a pair of expensive binoculars the last day.......but we drove home so there was no shuttle, car rental or airline.

I am nearly 100% sure it was not our cabin attendant. I had been Ill during the trip (beginnings of a heart issue) and he was sincerely concerned. He took very good care of me the days I stayed in the cabin.

They were packed the last morning, we scooted up to the Jammer for our last breakfast----hubby's last small mountain of Jammer-Ham. When we arrived at home-no binoculars.

We had trip insurance which actually covered the loss.....but still made me sad it had happened.

While this won't be useful to a single traveler, when we travel as a couple, I go through first and DH, graciously, lets the person behind me go ahead of him and then puts the stuff on the belt. I am on the other side and can retrieve it.

Tucker in Texas

You pointed out one of the problems a solo traveller has navigating an airport. I prefer cruises because once I get on board life is so much simpler than dealing with hotels, restaurants, luggage, transportation, excursions etc. Tried an extended bus tour in Europe and it was a hassle. Amazed at how many people think I'm so "brave" to cruise by myself!

[quote name='squadron']You pointed out one of the problems a solo traveller has navigating an airport. I prefer cruises because once I get on board life is so much simpler than dealing with hotels, restaurants, luggage, transportation, excursions etc. Tried an extended bus tour in Europe and it was a hassle. Amazed at how many people think [B]I'm so "brave" to cruise by myself[/B]![/QUOTE]

I know!! This is the perfect vacation for me.... simple just about says it all! :D

Two helpful hints. First, I put my money in 2 different places in my purse. That way, if 1 item is missing/stolen, it is still likely that my other money might still be there. Example, I put some cash in with my lady products. No reasonable thief would stop to look in there. They would toss that with the purse. Second, I love the big purses, but sometimes they tip over. Like when they are on the TSA treadmill. So, I only buy purses that have a large zippered compartment and I keep the most important stuff in there. If my purse somehow tips over, my important stuff will not fall out. Like when I am getting all my luggage out of the car and doing the final inspection.

Hope that helps someone!!

[QUOTE=liz's idea;42053756]Are things like an ipad safe in your room while cruising as long as it is kept in a drawer? Not sure what I need to keep in the safe.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

I think they are. We do that with our cameras.
We lock our wallets/credit cards, and passports in the safe.
Any expensive jewelry, that you might not wear all the time, should also be put in there, also any sentimental items that can't be replaced. Edited by WetToes