Laraine - your Riviera impressionS

LadyCruisers

I suggested to Lucien at dinner that polo be replaced with Jacques on the r ships lol

The r ship menus in the GDR do offer a sampling of menus from Jacques and red ginger

I would still choose the r ships in a heartbeat.

Jacques is my favorite as well (though I miss the escalope de foie gras :() but if I were to put it on R ships I would do it in place of Toscana :D

Just goes to show you - to each their own.

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise and Happy New Year.

Jacques is my favorite as well (though I miss the escalope de foie gras :() but if I were to put it on R ships I would do it in place of Toscana :D

Just goes to show you - to each their own.

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise and Happy New Year.

I'm with you, Paul. Jacques remains our favorite on the "O" ships, but we've always preferred Polo to Toscana.

As you said ... to each his/her own.

Mura

Amazing pasta class today with chef Curtis

He is a great instructor

His Italian restaurant in napa was voted best restaurant of the year in 2011

We made fresh pasta, pesto, brown butter sauce with sage and toasted walnuts and an easy cold pasta with grilled vegetables

The cooking classes are the only thing I will really miss on the r ships

He is a great instructor

We made fresh pasta, pesto, brown butter sauce with sage and toasted walnuts and an easy cold pasta with grilled vegetables

We are headed to his restaurant Oenotri in February. Can't wait:):)

He is a great instructor

Let me get this straight. You prefer the smaller Oceania ships?

Yes. By far. Do u find that strange? Other Oceania regulars feel the same

No, not strange at all. I'm sure some regulars prefer the O ships. It's fine with me. I just don't understand the constant slams. You posted a perfectly pleasant description of a cooking class but somehow felt the urge to end the post with a slam. I get it! You prefer the R ships!

Okay, I am one who finds herself torn between the big ships and the littler ships.

I understand why some prefer one or the other, I just find it hard to decide for myself.

But criticizing Laraine because she admits that she likes the cooking classes on Reviera that she cannot get on the "R" ships?

That's really NOT inconsistent!

Mura

Okay, I am one who finds herself torn between the big ships and the littler ships.

I understand why some prefer one or the other, I just find it hard to decide for myself.

But criticizing Laraine because she admits that she likes the cooking classes on Reviera that she cannot get on the "R" ships?

That's really NOT inconsistent!

Mura

Ridiculous attack, wasn't it Mura?

How is that a slam of the o ships?

You understood my point and I am guessing most others did as well.

Lolol

Second time in Jacques tonight

Superb

I see why so many call it their favorite specialty restaurant

Pam. Lucien is leaving the ship on jan 3 for vacation. Sorry you won't get to meet him.

Jacques was my favorite as well on Marina. Going there the night we board in just over three weeks!:)

Laraine, darn it about Lucien. I thought I had it made with a good contact to help arrange the M&G! Last time I set one up, Oceania gave me a lot of trouble over where and when I wanted to have it.

We have 40 signed up on our January Caribbean cruise roll call. With two sea days before our first port, perhaps it will be a lot easier than last time!

But are there any copies available to borrow onboard? (I am not ordering a copy from Amazon and then lugging a book this big in my baggage!:eek:)

The book would be great to review at home and recall a trip but I agree not to take on vacation. For me, even better than this book on-board, would be an audio tour. That has been suggested on this board before and I have read it is offered on another cruise line (ships specific.)

While on vacation I dont carry a device that would play it, but a cell phone app that one could scan a barcode or enter a SKU and info would be displayed about that object might be simpler and still enjoyable for the many that do. Perhaps could run a daily scavenger hunt to find this piece or that.

My last post from riviera

We tendered at princess cay today. We stayed on the ship. So did half of the passengers

Dinner in red ginger tonight

Must have duck and watermelon salad again but going to try something other than the sea bass

All packed. We are ready to go home and deal with the holidays. I have family coming to stay with me on the 24th. Eek! I'd better get groceries

Saw a guy in terrace this am with 10 envelopes, tipping EVERY maitre'd

He must have exceptional service lol

All and all we enjoyed doing nothing. Very different from how we usually vacation. Especially loved meeting my ta in person at long last.

Happy cruising to all and happy holidays.

My last post from riviera

We tendered at princess cay today. We stayed on the ship. So did half of the passengers

Dinner in red ginger tonight

Must have duck and watermelon salad again but going to try something other than the sea bass

All packed. We are ready to go home and deal with the holidays. I have family coming to stay with me on the 24th. Eek! I'd better get groceries

Saw a guy in terrace this am with 10 envelopes, tipping EVERY maitre'd

He must have exceptional service lol

All and all we enjoyed doing nothing. Very different from how we usually vacation. Especially loved meeting my ta in person at long last.

Happy cruising to all and happy holidays.

Laraine - thanks for your impressions of Riviera. I appreciate your perspectives and am sorry that you will not be on the Celebrity Infinity Antarctica cruise in February.

We love both the R and O ships, but we also love cruising in general. Right now, we're sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on a cruise that would be kryptonite to most Oceania fans, a seven-day Christmas cruise on Oasis of the Seas. So far, we're in awe and quite impressed with this engineering marvel. The crew is incredibly nice and we cannot believe we are on a vessel moving at 20 knots as we have wine sitting on the Boardwalk. Other than large crowds moving out from the safety drill today, it has not been insane yet. We have also had a marvelous time on six Disney cruises (without kids) - yes, that is crazy, I know.

We look forward to our cruise on Regatta next fall and our Riviera cruise in 2015 and hope you have a wonderful holiday and happy new year. Cheers and safe travels!

All packed. We are ready to go home and deal with the holidays. I have family coming to stay with me on the 24th. Eek! I'd better get groceries.

Wow! I'm impressed by your ability to deal with that two days after returning home.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Laraine --

Were there any redeeming ports on your cruise.

We are doing same next year. I call it my:

"We can't wait 10 months between cruises." or my

"I am off -- so it does not cost me any vacation time cruise." or my

"Ports stink -- so I load my Nook with lots of books cruise" or

"Just a plain do nothing cruise"