Connie in Key West overnight (2 Threads Merged)

djh

So now rather than 8am to 6pm in Nassau, with any luck, it will be Noon to 6pm. Glad I didn't spend much time thinking about shore excursions. :rolleyes:

Drive times to Key West reminds me of the old Dave Barry column about cruising, recently reprinted. http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/06/2031855/cruising-all-the-way-to-the-buffet.html

Hmm very interesting aquahound. I kept my eye on the Connie all night and never saw any vehicle between about 1:15 and 5:35. I did wander away, watching a ship doing nothing in the dark gets boring after a while so I did watch a movie while checking on her.

Cheers, h.

Sent from my little machine that knows way too much about me.

I just learned from the port....Connie didn't leave until this morning because the people who needed to inspect the engine, Lloyds, did not show up until this morning. Connie could have left last night, but Lloyds held them up.

Thanks for this info Paul. Waited until midnight to see her leave on the webcam and was surprised to find a capture on the Port Fever archives of her pushing away from the pier about 0600.

1483609_10151845046461693_1045111365_o.jpg

Edited by emmy

Just want to know if I should start packing for the Thursday cruise on Connie.

I'm pretty sure you're good to go.

Thanks for this info Paul. Waited until midnight to see her leave on the webcam and was surprised to find a capture on the Port Fever archives of her pushing away from the pier about 0600.

No problem, Emmy. I also learned of another contigent this morning. Any longer, and they were going to have to bus people to FL. Without being able to dump, the tanks can only hold so much.... ;)

I'm pretty sure you're good to go.

No problem, Emmy. I also learned of another contigent this morning. Any longer, and they were going to have to bus people to FL. Without being able to dump, the tanks can only hold so much.... ;)

That would have been a really crappy situation!;):eek:;)

So now rather than 8am to 6pm in Nassau, with any luck, it will be Noon to 6pm. Glad I didn't spend much time thinking about shore excursions. :rolleyes:

Drive times to Key West reminds me of the old Dave Barry column about cruising, recently reprinted. http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/06/2031855/cruising-all-the-way-to-the-buffet.html

Nassau is approximately a 300 land miles or 260 nautical miles sail from KW. Connie would only have to go at just over 10 knots today and overnight to get to Nassau by 8am tomorrow.

It's approximately 180 miles so it would probably be just over a three hour bus ride.

:D

Not so. You might average 60mph between Calgary and Swift Current, but you better not be doing 60mph through the Key Deer sanctuary outside of Key West, nor through any of the little towns that dot that causeway. I'd guess between 5 and 6 hours more likely, depending on traffic up around Miami.

1483609_10151845046461693_1045111365_o.jpg

Glad I packed it in @ midnite.

Not so. You might average 60mph between Calgary and Swift Current, but you better not be doing 60mph through the Key Deer sanctuary outside of Key West, nor through any of the little towns that dot that causeway. I'd guess between 5 and 6 hours more likely, depending on traffic up around Miami.

I love those tiny little deer! So cute, but you better not speed or trouble will follow!

That's why I also included the distance between those two places. I figured it was mostly causeway and limited access highway so I felt 50 or 55 mph was possible and just over three hours was likely. I also recall doing that trip in about 4 hours quite a few years back when the Florida Keys causeway was only partially completed.

Aquahound, who lives in KW and is in law enforcement mentioned in his post that it was a four hour trip. Yes if you hit Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area in the rush hour or other traffic situation it will take longer.

For your info the limited access highways in Alberta have 110 kph or about 70 mph speed limits and most drivers do 80 mph or more. I use to drive the 190 miles between Calgary and Edmonton when traveling on business and that trip would take about 2 1/2 hours unless you hit rush hour in either city and I was being passed by most drivers on that highway, #2. ;)

Even here in Ontario with our 100 kph or 62 mph speed limit on our limited access highways you'll be run off the road if you do that speed even if you keep to the right lane as the defacto speed is 110 kph or about 70 mph. I've also noticed when driving in the US that most interstate highway traffic move at a higher rate than the speed limit.:D

Edited by robtulipe

Fin, if you check on Google Map it shows that the distance between KW and Ft Lauderdale is 189 miles and the travel time is 3 hours 37 minute and average speed is 52 mph. I guess my 180 miles distance estimate was a little short but normally that trip isn't anywhere close to being over 5 hours:rolleyes:

Edited by robtulipe

Fin, if you check on Google Map it shows that the distance between KW and Ft Lauderdale is 189 miles and the travel time is 3 hours 37 minute and average speed is 52 mph. I guess my 180 miles distance estimate was a little short but normally that trip isn't anywhere close to being over 5 hours:rolleyes:

We live in Palm Beach County forty minutes north of Fort Luaderdale. We visit Key West frequently. It has never taken us longer than five hours for the trip and we always stop along the way for a leisurely lunch.

You are correct. I live in Key West and drive up there regularly. 3.5 to 4 hours is the norm. For it to take 5-6 hours, there has to be a major problem.

You are correct. I live in Key West and drive up there regularly. 3.5 to 4 hours is the norm. For it to take 5-6 hours, there has to be a major problem.

A church festival, or an art fair on one of the Keys can make the drive long and slow, too....

BILL