Are children allowed in lounges?

raerenee

Big difference in taking them to a bar at home and sitting in the DL having a drink, enjoying the view and having some conversation after a busy day before dinner.

Depends on what sort of bars you have at home. We have absolutely no problem bringing DS to one of the bars (can't call them pubs as that is a different sort of place in legal terms, and they actually do NOT allow kids in pubs here in WA, but "bars" yes) in my area with nice views, to sit and have conversation after busy days, generally WITH some tasty dinner.

I think some people have really skeevy places in mind when they think "bar" and "lounge", but it's not that way for all bars and lounges, or in all places. :)

Depends on what sort of bars you have at home. We have absolutely no problem bringing DS to one of the bars (can't call them pubs as that is a different sort of place in legal terms, and they actually do NOT allow kids in pubs here in WA, but "bars" yes) in my area with nice views, to sit and have conversation after busy days, generally WITH some tasty dinner.

I think some people have really skeevy places in mind when they think "bar" and "lounge", but it's not that way for all bars and lounges, or in all places. :)

We have a lot of bar/lounges whatever you want to call them which have a 'back room' where they serve food (my parents owned one & I used to work washing dishes) so I never think twice about it when people talk about taking kids into a bar.

On the ship we have sat in the schooner bar listening to music with the boys in the early evening. However, of nce you getting into to the after dinner hours, I wouldn't do that, but I would bring them if I was stopping and picking up a drink.

I'm the original poster and I was inquiring about CL as well as bars, etc. I'm glad to hear I can visit a bar with a well behaved child for a quick drink or one to go. Thank you everyone for the info. And the people interested in a moral debate I'm from NYC and take my year old to fine resturants that have bars. but i don't expect that she can sit at a bar but when waiting for a table she should be able to accompany me.

I'm the original poster and I was inquiring about CL as well as bars, etc. I'm glad to hear I can visit a bar with a well behaved child for a quick drink or one to go.

You can stay longer if you like; for example trivia contests are often held in a bar (like the schooner bar), and children are welcome. Also in the evening there will be music in several bars... If your children enjoy listening, they can stay as long as you/they want. :-)

Aloha,

John

......those who " pitched hissy fits" are paying more for those kids in cruise fare than MOST of those cubic zirconia passengers who pack the CL for " free" drinks......Any concierge who would approach a suite passenger about barring the kids would be putting his/her job in jeopardy since RCL official policy is the opposite. Kids are here...get use to it.......:cool:

I agree. Any CL who would intentionally make a Suite Guest, whether child or adult, uncomfortable would definitely be putting their job in jeopardy.

Not that I'm asking if my children hanging out at the bar with me but if I stop and grab a quick drink to walk with can they stand at my side? Or do they need to remain outside?

I just returned from a 10 day cruise on The Explorer. It was our first cruise and we had a mostly wonderful time. We did however, encounter children in all adults only venues we visited. This included the "Adults Only" hot tub late at night. It would appear to me that most rules on the ship can be and most certainly are, ignored by many, including the staff in charge.:(

avatheps:

Rules are selectively enforced

You are correct. Many bring soda and water on board with them. I've seen many type right here it's not a rule unless its enforced.:eek: So-you can see how grey lines exist while on board.

......those who " pitched hissy fits" are paying more for those kids in cruise fare than MOST of those cubic zirconia passengers who pack the CL for " free" drinks......Any concierge who would approach a suite passenger about barring the kids would be putting his/her job in jeopardy since RCL official policy is the opposite. Kids are here...get use to it.......:cool:

and uhh those of us who paid for our suites have every right to enjoy a small time span in an adult only setting. the little darlings are welcome the other 22.5 hours of the day, is it really such a huge burden/insult/outrage that parents are asked to not bring them during the pre dinner cocktail hour? I remember very clearly being sent upstairs to my bedroom and told to stay there when my parents had cocktail parties. I am pretty sure I wasn't scarred for life.

We have a lot of bar/lounges whatever you want to call them which have a 'back room' where they serve food (my parents owned one & I used to work washing dishes) so I never think twice about it when people talk about taking kids into a bar.

On the ship we have sat in the schooner bar listening to music with the boys in the early evening. However, of nce you getting into to the after dinner hours, I wouldn't do that, but I would bring them if I was stopping and picking up a drink.

I agree

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

You can stay longer if you like; for example trivia contests are often held in a bar (like the schooner bar), and children are welcome. Also in the evening there will be music in several bars... If your children enjoy listening, they can stay as long as you/they want. :-)

Aloha,

John

Thanks John! This is has been an interesting thread. I guess I must be one of those "bad" parents because my DD12 has been singing and playing guitar in bars since she was 9 with a local rock school. My friends who have kids in sports are so jealous because I get to sit at a bar, eat and enjoy a glass of wine while my kid does her "thing". No cold outdoor sports watching for me!:) I was hoping I could take her to see some of the musicians playing in the lounges. I promise to not take her to the adults only venues!

Just back from 2 weeks on AOS. We went to the "overflow" Diamond Lounge up on 14 rather than the CL because the view was so much nicer than the enclosed CL. Children were occasionally present during the cocktail hour and we asked one of the bartenders about it because I thought (like someone else posted above) that kids were not allowed during that time. He told me that they had changed the rules and they were now allowed at any time.

and uhh those of us who paid for our suites have every right to enjoy a small time span in an adult only setting. the little darlings are welcome the other 22.5 hours of the day, is it really such a huge burden/insult/outrage that parents are asked to not bring them during the pre dinner cocktail hour? I remember very clearly being sent upstairs to my bedroom and told to stay there when my parents had cocktail parties. I am pretty sure I wasn't scarred for life.

Some parents travel with their young children. If children were excluded from the CL and DL, those parents/adults would be excluded from enjoying the benefits they were entitled to.

Children are fine; most children are well behaved. When they are not, it either relaxed parenting, or a health issue with the child or sometimes boredom. Believe it or not, we were all children at one time.

Exposing a child, regardless of their age, to an establishment that serves alcohol is not harmful. There are many chain restaurants that have a bar/lounge area in them. Some local bars feature dining areas, that are not hidden in a back room.

When I was a child, I was in a dance troupe; we frequently were invited to local bars (Moose, VFW) to preform. We had a great time; it is a fond memory. I was not scarred for life.

I can remember stopping in a bar with my dad, when I was very young (under age 5), and sitting up at the 'bar'. Dad and I both had a coke. Dad knew the bar owner, and needed to see him about something. Others at the bar were drinking beer and whiskey. I thought it was really cool to sit at the bar. Even at that age, I knew it was a "grown up place", and it was special that I was able to do that.

I survived, enjoyed, have pleasant memories of these things, and more importantly, do not have an alcohol addiction.

Exactly. A lounge on a cruise ship is a public place that just happens to have a bar in it. Sometimes the lounge is the venue where a certain activity or musical performance takes place. As long as the kids aren't drinking they are fine.

No I wouldn't take ny kids when they were younger to a corner bar or pick up joint or strip club (I couldn't anyway where I live)

But an establishment that serves food or age appropriate entertainment that just happens to also serve liqour....no problem

Some parents travel with their young children. If children were excluded from the CL and DL, those parents/adults would be excluded from enjoying the benefits they were entitled to.

Children are fine; most children are well behaved. When they are not, it either relaxed parenting, or a health issue with the child or sometimes boredom. Believe it or not, we were all children at one time.

Exposing a child, regardless of their age, to an establishment that serves alcohol is not harmful. There are many chain restaurants that have a bar/lounge area in them. Some local bars feature dining areas, that are not hidden in a back room.

When I was a child, I was in a dance troupe; we frequently were invited to local bars (Moose, VFW) to preform. We had a great time; it is a fond memory. I was not scarred for life.

I can remember stopping in a bar with my dad, when I was very young (under age 5), and sitting up at the 'bar'. Dad and I both had a coke. Dad knew the bar owner, and needed to see him about something. Others at the bar were drinking beer and whiskey. I thought it was really cool to sit at the bar. Even at that age, I knew it was a "grown up place", and it was special that I was able to do that.

I survived, enjoyed, have pleasant memories of these things, and more importantly, do not have an alcohol addiction.

My grandfather owned a little corner bar and grill establishment when I was growing up. Every big family event I can recall from childhood was held there . Just a little neighborhood place where everyone was a regular

It was kind of cool to sit at the bar and have a "drink" or play pool or pinball.

I did spend my earlier years bartending and working the door at a few places around here . But that is all water under the bridge .

My wicked wicked childhood hasn't left any permanent scars.

Would you really take your children to a lounge at home???

This depends on what the lounge is. Suppose it is a sports bar, serving food, and you sit at one of the tables at the bar. Is that a lounge? What about a wedding reception, with an open bar, and live band? Is that a lounge? Most "lounges" on the ship are friendly places, not the corner bar.

The answer is for everyone, it depends. So say at the English Pub on the ship, playing live music, "smoke free", the answer is why not? They grabbed a slice of pizza next door, and you are enjoying a cold beer and listening to the one man band. What about Karoke night? Why not? Many of the places on the ship, are "open" areas.

So the easy answer is yes, your kids can sit with you at many spots, and is perfectly fine. However, some "clubs" are restricted in the evening such as the dance clubs.

As others have noted, most of the lounges are public areas open to all ages, and they often have trivia games, live music, etc that is intended to be enjoyed by all ages. So, there will be plenty of places to enjoy a drink with your kids along.

As far as the debate about going to "bars" with kids at home. Ones that have the type of feel that Schooners or other venues on the ship have? Sure, I would take my kids (okay, they are teens now). They've grown up going on vineyard hikes with wine tasting, touring the local brewery when visitors want to go, going to lots of fests and parties that involve alcohol for adults, etc. I have never subscribed to the notion that drinking should be all about getting drunk, and drinking hidden away as some sort of forbidden idea. My kids grew up seeing me drive every day bur having the sense to know they could not until they reached a certain age, etc. Same with drinking. They can sit in a car with me as I drive and in a lounge with me as I have a drink, and hopefully in both cases, if they picked up on anything it was how to drive or drink responsibly. So far, so good. DD16 has been legal for beer and wine nearly a year now (in Germany) and has a glass or two of wine with dinner etc but so far as I know has never been even tipsy, much less drunk. ;)

This depends on what the lounge is. Suppose it is a sports bar, serving food, and you sit at one of the tables at the bar. Is that a lounge? What about a wedding reception, with an open bar, and live band? Is that a lounge? Most "lounges" on the ship are friendly places, not the corner bar.

The answer is for everyone, it depends. So say at the English Pub on the ship, playing live music, "smoke free", the answer is why not? They grabbed a slice of pizza next door, and you are enjoying a cold beer and listening to the one man band. What about Karoke night? Why not? Many of the places on the ship, are "open" areas.

So the easy answer is yes, your kids can sit with you at many spots, and is perfectly fine. However, some "clubs" are restricted in the evening such as the dance clubs.

My daughter would love to see Karoke night!

Children are definitely allowed in the Concierge Lounge when accompanied by a parent or guardian.

100% correct - But, I post again, not if they are actually feral rats are masquerading as children.;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL