LIVE from Royal Princes. 12/22!

CruisinChris

Hope everyone who is traveling from the midwest made it to FLL safely! In Milwaukee, we're still getting rain and freezing drizzle - no snow yet. Looks like we'll only get 5-6 inches total because temps are hovering slightly above freezing. Works for me.

Do you mind letting us know if they are charging corking fees for extra bottles of wine at embarkation? We board the Royal in three weeks and I'm just wondering if the new policy has been implemented there yet.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Well it's been a long time since I've done a live from' date=' but given the interest in royal p thought I would. I don't have the patience to be as detailed everyday as Dave it I will post as often as I can with my observations. I will also write a full review on return. I'm sliding out of chicago this morning ahead of ice and snow. The ice is expected here shortly after we take off at 8. I will be doing two nights precruise at the W on Fort Lauderdale beach. I've been staying at this hotel pretty often over the last 5 years or so. I will comment on my precruise activities too. So, for no, live from a very busy O'Hare airport!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote']

Have a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to reading your reports.....:):):)

Bob

We made it with the flight having three short delays. We were lucky - many were over five hours late. I have never seen Milwaukee airport so busy and we travel every holiday. And FLL was nuts - paid the most we ever did for the taxi -people stopping in the middle lane to pick of people. And that idiot driver - he kept slamming the truck lid on our luggage - any child could see five large suitcases would not fit. Then another one came over and helped him push it down while we all are yelling to stop. Ruined one piece but driver didn't care. I wanted to wait for a van - next time.

We dropped the luggage at our room and made it to Total Wines at 10:40. Then came back to find the internet was not working at the hotel. And it is wild at the hotel - Embassy Suites. There free breakfast is nice but not sure it will be worth the number of people fighting over tables.

Not sure what time we will head over. It is mostly cloudy and very windy.

Hope everyone is in town or already on a flight.

Thanks Mike- I was also wondering about them. Love staying at the ES since it is so close.

What is the "w" and the ES - I am guessing the Westin and Embassy Suites, but for those of us who are reading to get ideas for future cruises and good places to stay - it would help us to know these abbreviations.

What is the "w" and the ES - I am guessing the Westin and Embassy Suites, but for those of us who are reading to get ideas for future cruises and good places to stay - it would help us to know these abbreviations.

The W is just the W.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?language=en_US&propertyID=1522

It's a beautiful hotel on Fort Lauderdale beach!

We are on the ship. I put our three bottles of wine in my carry on and was told to go to the table. She stopped the belt and held up everyone until I was with someone. We have all our luggage except one bag - our sons and he doesn't drink wine so he got something for himself. I think we will be getting a note saying we have to go to the naughty room.

I am not happy at all. Our balcony looks terrible. The cushions look ten years old - all black. There are piles of soot around. The wood decking is all stained. The carpet inside the doors are black. the bottom of our shoes are already black. I went to book the Sanctuary but it is totally booked.

I better go start my unpacking. See you all later

That's terrible that the balcony is in such condition. Try to not let it ruin your vacation and enjoy all of the other stuff on the ship which I can hope it will be nothing but awesome. Think of us sorry people not on a cruise ship and wondering if we will get out due to all the ice or be able to cook Turkey on Christmas if the power goes out due to downed power lines. Have a drink of the day and let all of your worries rest. Have a great trip.

On a side not what a shame for a beautiful ship like that to have these soot issues and the price that people pay to have a balcony is just awful so I do feel for you.

We are on the ship. I put our three bottles of wine in my carry on and was told to go to the table. She stopped the belt and held up everyone until I was with someone. We have all our luggage except one bag - our sons and he doesn't drink wine so he got something for himself. I think we will be getting a note saying we have to go to the naughty room.

I am not happy at all. Our balcony looks terrible. The cushions look ten years old - all black. There are piles of soot around. The wood decking is all stained. The carpet inside the doors are black. the bottom of our shoes are already black. I went to book the Sanctuary but it is totally booked.

So sorry to hear that about the balcony. :(

What cabin are you in?

Also, do you happen to remember what time you got to the Sanctuary?

I know it's different for every cruise but in the past we've always booked it for the whole cruise (I usually run straight up there before even going to the cabin) and since we're also in an aft for our cruise on the Royal it'll be more important than ever to be able to book it.

As the previous poster said - think of us in the midwest with ice and snow storms and enjoy a tropical drink!

With all the advance knowledge about the aft balcony problems, I would have changed my cabin months ago when it was first reported.

Bon voyage.

The first reports I saw (quite possibly I missed some earlier ones) about it were from cruisers on the trans-atlantic (ibfern's cruise from hell on October 11 sticks out in my mind)- well after we had to make final payment for the Dec 8th cruise. That may be the case with current cruisers too.

Edited by capriccio

I'm so sorry about the condition of the balcony. We love hanging out on our balcony, and I can totally appreciate your major disappointment upon finding your balcony virtually unusable.

I also hope your son's luggage makes it without a trip to the naughty room. Did he pack it in rum runners?? Seeing as how they're policing the wine so closely, I'm guessing we shouldn't even attempt to bring a few good beers on in our carry-on when we leave in a few weeks, as we had been able to do in the past with no questions asked. Their beer selection on board is so limited.

I really, really hope your balcony issues get squared away and that everything is smooth sailing from here on out. We have a snowy next few days ahead of us here in WI, so cherish that sunshine! :)

UGH.. that's awful and how disappointing. Princess needs to start selling these with a warning attached. Completely ridiculous! Hope you enjoy your cruise.

kdkmilwaukee,

We got it. No problem.

If you get a chance drop me a note and I can send you more info.

compozer424 at yahoo dot com

The soot has been falling the past couple hours but it is really windy out - you can see the smoke hanging low over the stern. I just can't go barefoot. We are going out in a boat snorkeling excursion tomorrow morning but will be interested in what tomorrow afternoon looks like. Would really like to sit out and get some sun.

As I said before, I didn't hear about the soot until after final payment and have never purchased cancel for no reason insurance. We really did want to see what the balcony was like and I truly had hoped they would fix it by now. You could have a huge party out there. I did complain and was told someone would contact me but it didn't seem to be a big deal to them. First day of a cruise is not the day to complain - they have enough other stuff going on.

Toilet paper - don't know what all the complaints were about - fine for us.

Beverley,

Didn't get a close look at the soda package. I did see something with a straw other than the regular tumbler. I know the tumbler is different than a year ago. We usually don't get it so didn't know anything about the straw one. Will check into it later. We never left the cabin until dinner so have not checked out much around the ship.

We ate at the Crown Grill - wonderful as usual. Every other ship has allowed us to use the suite comp dinner on a later night but they said we had to do it tonight. No big deal. Our waitress, Ileana was such a sweetheart. Enjoyed the piano music. They said they have lowered the volume - remember someone said it was so loud. It was an added bonus for us. After dinner we walked up to MUTS to see what was on - it was crowded. Then we went forward and almost got blown away. My hair was straight out and my dress was - well you don't want to know. Seemed like we were in hurricane force winds - could barely walk.

Now I remember why we don't do ship excursions, we have to meet at 9am - heck, we usually get up around 8:30 so I better get going and get my gear together tonight so we aren't late.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

So sorry to hear that about the balcony. :(

What cabin are you in?

Also, do you happen to remember what time you got to the Sanctuary?

I know it's different for every cruise but in the past we've always booked it for the whole cruise (I usually run straight up there before even going to the cabin) and since we're also in an aft for our cruise on the Royal it'll be more important than ever to be able to book it.

As the previous poster said - think of us in the midwest with ice and snow storms and enjoy a tropical drink!

Just wondered if your balcony has any kind of overhang or is completely open?

cruisin'chris,

where are you?

If your internet is anything like ours, forget being able to get on much. It was out most of the day. My son isn't happy - it died several times but it wouldn't allow him to log off. That happened to me earlier. Just a waste of money on this ship. Minutes fly by while waiting.

We had a fun snorkeling excursion. I think everyone went to Princess Cays - I imagine it is because of all the kids. Last tender was suppose to be at 4pm but there were five more after that. Everyone must have stayed to the end.

All the kids seem to be having a great time.

I am not going to mention anymore negative things (well one other). It seems like people only want to hear the positives since they go nuts thanking everyone for posting POSITIVE.

One other suite perk that has gone downhill is the flowers. They use to give you beautiful ones but now you get two plants with an orchid in it.

Oh, I found out about them only putting two chairs with the table on the balcony instead of the four suites use to get. They said it was for safety.:eek: because of the small decks - yes, maybe in the PH's. I said "back the train up, those corner suite balconies are huge" No, they said it is the rule for all balconies. Not sure how one would have worked with the ash issues but they lost $150 for our balcony dinner.

Hard to believe Christmas Eve is tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Compozer I am really sorry to hear about your accommodations and internet, specially given the price.:(

And the flowers for their best cabins?? I'm not even going to go there.

Glad you a making the best of it and hoping for you and yours a great holiday season.

Mike:)

Sandy,

I'm really sorry that they haven't had the time to fix the soot problem yet. It's a shame that Princess didn't give a HUGE discount on the already booked suites.

As far as the crap about only 2 chairs allowed on the balcony, that's hooey! The aft cabins-even non-suites have large balconies and should have 4 chairs. I would complain.

I hope the rest of the cruise is happy for you.

kdkmilwaukee,

We got it. No problem.

If you get a chance drop me a note and I can send you more info.

compozer424 at yahoo dot com

The soot has been falling the past couple hours but it is really windy out - you can see the smoke hanging low over the stern. I just can't go barefoot. We are going out in a boat snorkeling excursion tomorrow morning but will be interested in what tomorrow afternoon looks like. Would really like to sit out and get some sun.

As I said before, I didn't hear about the soot until after final payment and have never purchased cancel for no reason insurance. We really did want to see what the balcony was like and I truly had hoped they would fix it by now. You could have a huge party out there. I did complain and was told someone would contact me but it didn't seem to be a big deal to them. First day of a cruise is not the day to complain - they have enough other stuff going on.

Toilet paper - don't know what all the complaints were about - fine for us.

Beverley,

Didn't get a close look at the soda package. I did see something with a straw other than the regular tumbler. I know the tumbler is different than a year ago. We usually don't get it so didn't know anything about the straw one. Will check into it later. We never left the cabin until dinner so have not checked out much around the ship.

We ate at the Crown Grill - wonderful as usual. Every other ship has allowed us to use the suite comp dinner on a later night but they said we had to do it tonight. No big deal. Our waitress, Ileana was such a sweetheart. Enjoyed the piano music. They said they have lowered the volume - remember someone said it was so loud. It was an added bonus for us. After dinner we walked up to MUTS to see what was on - it was crowded. Then we went forward and almost got blown away. My hair was straight out and my dress was - well you don't want to know. Seemed like we were in hurricane force winds - could barely walk.

Now I remember why we don't do ship excursions, we have to meet at 9am - heck, we usually get up around 8:30 so I better get going and get my gear together tonight so we aren't late.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

You've got mail :)

That seems very odd about the "safety" rule regarding amount of furniture. Really? What do they expect folks to do with/on the large balconies with just two chairs and one table?

Sounds like everything else is going well - hooray! Enjoy, and thank you again for all of the info!

Your review is echoing our own. Soot-spattered balcony. Horrible wifi/internet.

We paid a fortune for our cruise (comparatively speaking) and we were only in a premium dlx balcony sailing during the off season of November. I can only imagine what you're paying. Sucks to spend that kind of money and not have expectations met.

None the less, I sincerely hope the rest of your cruise gets better. ;)

-Andrew

Hi Donna, Merry Christmas,

Our cabin steward just stopped in with a nice chair - not a deck chair but said we can use it when you want to eat at the balcony table and he said he would cover it at night. I think he feels sorry for us. Crew has been wonderful.

Sorry I posted this morning but the post never showed up. No overhang at all on the balcony. My son took me out on the balcony before dinner and the wind direction changed today. Wish I could get a picture of it. It is coming low and then falling down right over the top balcony. I have never seen a ship where the smoke is so low over the stern.

Ok, this may be my last post. I feel bad that I have seem to taken over this LIVE and all I am doing is complaining. We had decided not to do Christmas cruises but I booked this and didn't tell my husband. for a year Our last one was full of rude loud people. Christmas Eve there was a table of 18 next to us (kids table of 6 was next to it) They were so loud and drunk that we could not hear each other and was not enjoyable at all. So, when they called today, I said we would like a table by the window at 8. We get down there and the table next to us had 12 people - RATS. They were loud and it got worse when the guys started to make noise by holding their breath and hitting their cheeks .:eek: They all went nuts and got louder. Next they all - kids also - wet the rims of their glasses and made more noise. The straw was when they pushed their chairs back and started juggling rolls followed by stabbing them with a knife and sticking them in wine bottles. We got up and walked out. The crew was so nice and send our food up to our cabin. Not real hot but it was excellent and much more enjoyable.

We have fun with friends and do go out in large groups but we have never acted as rude as what we have seen on the ships the past few years.

Love the new TV. You can start watching a movie like at home and put it on hold and finish it later.

Forgot, there is a new $3.95 activation fee when you buy a plan for the internet and another $4.95 when you add more minutes. Nothing with the free platinum and elite minutes.

It is getting a little rough. I think it is time for an Ambien and as they guys say I'm going to be acting a little odd for a while but at least the rocking and rolling won't keep me up.

Sorry to complain.

Hope everyone is set for Santa's visit tomorrow night.

Hi Donna, Merry Christmas,

Our cabin steward just stopped in with a nice chair - not a deck chair but said we can use it when you want to eat at the balcony table and he said he would cover it at night. I think he feels sorry for us. Crew has been wonderful.

Sorry I posted this morning but the post never showed up. No overhang at all on the balcony. My son took me out on the balcony before dinner and the wind direction changed today. Wish I could get a picture of it. It is coming low and then falling down right over the top balcony. I have never seen a ship where the smoke is so low over the stern.

Ok, this may be my last post. I feel bad that I have seem to taken over this LIVE and all I am doing is complaining. We had decided not to do Christmas cruises but I booked this and didn't tell my husband. for a year Our last one was full of rude loud people. Christmas Eve there was a table of 18 next to us (kids table of 6 was next to it) They were so loud and drunk that we could not hear each other and was not enjoyable at all. So, when they called today, I said we would like a table by the window at 8. We get down there and the table next to us had 12 people - RATS. They were loud and it got worse when the guys started to make noise by holding their breath and hitting their cheeks .:eek: They all went nuts and got louder. Next they all - kids also - wet the rims of their glasses and made more noise. The straw was when they pushed their chairs back and started juggling rolls followed by stabbing them with a knife and sticking them in wine bottles. We got up and walked out. The crew was so nice and send our food up to our cabin. Not real hot but it was excellent and much more enjoyable.

We have fun with friends and do go out in large groups but we have never acted as rude as what we have seen on the ships the past few years.

Love the new TV. You can start watching a movie like at home and put it on hold and finish it later.

Forgot, there is a new $3.95 activation fee when you buy a plan for the internet and another $4.95 when you add more minutes. Nothing with the free platinum and elite minutes.

It is getting a little rough. I think it is time for an Ambien and as they guys say I'm going to be acting a little odd for a while but at least the rocking and rolling won't keep me up.

Sorry to complain.

Hope everyone is set for Santa's visit tomorrow night.

I think you guys are going to be more upset when you learn that most of St. Thomas will be closed for Christmas. I just got off Sunday and we had great weather all week ! I hope it get's better for you and enjoy it.