Press Release: Texas to Begin Collecting Taxes on Alcohol in Galveston

Maybe I misunderstood the article but I read it as you could have 1 gallon per person without paying tax.

Here its half that amount and the ships just restrict the amount they sell to each passenger to the limit.

No hassles, no lines, no stress.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about:)

I think that's the amount you're allowed to bring in once a month regardless of whether you pay tax.

We don't smoke and can get a better deal on liquor at home, but if RCI decides that the policy is reducing their income, we'll happily take a ship on the Left Coast. :)

Edited by critterchick

Considering the amount of retail space RCI has devoted to alcohol and tobacco sales on the Promenade of Independence I suspect they are selling quite a bit. They even got rid of the Logo shop in order to make more room.

That's depressing, as I always buy stuff in the Logo shop.

I think that's the amount you're allowed to bring in once a month regardless of whether you pay tax.

We don't smoke and can get a better deal on liquor at home, but if RCI decides that the policy is reducing their income, we'll happily take a ship on the Left Coast. :)

I agree wholeheartedly with that! :)

Current tax table.

Tax Rates Table

Tax Rates Effective September 1, 2011

(including $ 3.00 administrative fees)

Distilled Spirits

Miniatures (2 oz. or less) (50 ml or less) $ 3.25

Half Pint (200 ml) 3.25

Pint (500 ml) 3.50

Fifth (750 ml) 3.50

Quart (1 ltr) 3.75

1/2 Gallon (1.75 ltr) 4.25

1 Gallon (3.5 ltr) 5.50

Beer

6 12-ounce containers $ 3.25

24 12-ounce containers 3.50

Malt Liquor

24 12-ounce containers $ 3.50

Wine

Fifth (750 ml) $ 3.25

Cigarettes

Carton (10 packs) $ 15.00

Pack 1.50

On the Galveston thread someone mentioned this was only for residents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

All you need to re-enter the States is a passport. There is no residence address on it. So how do they know if you are a Texas resident or not?

Who is actually collecting this tax in Texas? Customs deals with federal taxes. Will the State of Texas have a second line that you will have to clear? I really don't see that the Federal employees will be collecting monies for a State tax.

From the article:

"Tax collection points staffed with TABC personnel will be situated at both terminals 1 and 2 at the Galveston facility located where patrons come through the U.S. Customs secondary checkpoint. Passengers will be able to pay the taxes with either cash or credit cards."

Current tax table.

Tax Rates Table

Tax Rates Effective September 1, 2011

(including $ 3.00 administrative fees)

Distilled Spirits

Miniatures (2 oz. or less) (50 ml or less) $ 3.25

Half Pint (200 ml) 3.25

Pint (500 ml) 3.50

Fifth (750 ml) 3.50

Quart (1 ltr) 3.75

1/2 Gallon (1.75 ltr) 4.25

1 Gallon (3.5 ltr) 5.50

At that rate what island has gallons of moonshine:rolleyes:

All you need to re-enter the States is a passport. There is no residence address on it. So how do they know if you are a Texas resident or not?

I'm guessing they either check the customs form or ask for id?!? I'm not sure....just relaying what I read on another thread.

When I lived in California, many years ago, if a person was from out of state, they weren't charged any tax. You never minded taking out of state guests to Tijuana (lol).

However, after going to Laredo, Texas, many times before the drug gangs took it over, we paid taxes on every bottle of liquor we bought over from Nuevo Laredo. It wasn't much, like $1.50, so not worth taking a chance and smuggling. I don't know what they did with out of state residents because we never had any experience with that.

Tucker in Texas

Sounds like duty free won't be so duty free anymore. I can see this impacting cruise lines decisions whether or not to use Texas ports in the future.
The term Duty Free means that no duty has been included in the price, not that there is no duty payable.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am thinking there will be some pretty low prices on the bottles and cigs sold on board to make up for this. They will still make a profit. I live in Texas. They don't want a State Income tax so they sales tax the heck out of of everything else.

out of curiosity, what is that rate? we are most likely getting orders to San Antonio the first of the year so I'm starting to look ahead. I mean I am used to 8 and 9% sales taxes....

I'm guessing they either check the customs form or ask for id?!? I'm not sure....just relaying what I read on another thread.

Yes, maybe the customs form. But I doubt that federal inspectors have the slightest interest in collecting State taxes. I guess they could funnel everyone through state inspectors first before the federal guys collect the forms but it would seem like that would really slow down the process.

out of curiosity, what is that rate? we are most likely getting orders to San Antonio the first of the year so I'm starting to look ahead. I mean I am used to 8 and 9% sales taxes....

Like everywhere else, the rates vary by city. My city is 8.25% which is similar to other places I've lived throughout the country. Cheaper than CA and MUCH lower than Chicago!

Like everywhere else, the rates vary by city. My city is 8.25% which is similar to other places I've lived throughout the country. Cheaper than CA and MUCH lower than Chicago!

9.25 % here...........

Over the past few years the price of alcohol has gone way up on cruise ships. Not really a great deal anymore...Sometimes you can get a better deal at Sams Club or BJ's on liquor. A few dollars savings isn't worth the hassels

You're right on that point. Last month a bottle of Grey Goose on the ship was $56. We bought it in St. Maarten for $29....nearly double on the ship. We could also purchase it at the airport duty free for 2 bottles for $65. No deal on the ship that's for sure.

We usually bring back liquor because we are Canadian and prices up here are crazy expensive. The Grey Goose here is about $65 for 1 litre.

So does anyone know if this tax will apply to non-residents who are merely in-transit?

sooo NY rates. okies. I do wonder about property taxes, we have already started stalking the realtor websites. found one that's within spitting distance of the airport so need to factor in that( noise etc) on top of taxes.

sooo NY rates. okies. I do wonder about property taxes, we have already started stalking the realtor websites. found one that's within spitting distance of the airport so need to factor in that( noise etc) on top of taxes.

Property taxes were higher than the Midwest, but comparable to CA. I believe we pay about 3% before any homestead exemptions (which kick in a year after buying). Of course, this varies by city. Google your city's tax assessor and they will have a property tax estimator.

I will say that I will gladly pay slightly higher property taxes in lieu of state taxes and a higher cost of living. The cost of living is so low here....even lower than the Midwest.

Edited by seaofwonder

If you can find a house outside Bexar county, your property taxes will be quite a bit lower. Depending on where you'll be working, there are places to live that are cheaper, and with commutes that aren't TOO bad (say, compared to DC or Los Angeles :D :eek: )

If you can find a house outside Bexar county, your property taxes will be quite a bit lower. Depending on where you'll be working, there are places to live that are cheaper, and with commutes that aren't TOO bad (say, compared to DC or Los Angeles :D :eek: )

basically, Lackland. at least that's where he THINKS the Navy IWO contingent hangs out. ideally he wants within 30 minute drive so he can bike to work most of the year. that runs him about 80-90 minutes.

You're right on that point. Last month a bottle of Grey Goose on the ship was $56. We bought it in St. Maarten for $29....nearly double on the ship. We could also purchase it at the airport duty free for 2 bottles for $65. No deal on the ship that's for sure.

We usually bring back liquor because we are Canadian and prices up here are crazy expensive. The Grey Goose here is about $65 for 1 litre.

So does anyone know if this tax will apply to non-residents who are merely in-transit?

Beside the problem of packing liquor for the flight home, the prices are not as good as locally. We can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of Grey Goose for just under $50. Bought a 1.75 liter bottle of Beefeaters two weeks ago for $14.95, it was on special, but the regular price is jus above $20.

Beside the problem of packing liquor for the flight home, the prices are not as good as locally. We can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of Grey Goose for just under $50. Bought a 1.75 liter bottle of Beefeaters two weeks ago for $14.95, it was on special, but the regular price is jus above $20.

Yep!

If Texas wants to start messing around with taxing and such......stop buying! If your really upset..........travel from another state.

We stopped buying liquor on board when the prices went up....Not a great deal anymore... It's just silly buying for a savings of a few dollars (if any savings at all) when we spend thousands on the cruise.