Medallion Lapel Pins... All Gone and 1-5 Star Lapel Pins...

IRL_Joanie

OK, I promised to let y'all know what news I heard in reply to my email to the Mariner Society regarding the Medallion Lapel Pins, so here it is:

Dear Mrs. Jett,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding the lapel pins that we once gave out along with our medallions.

Unfortunately, since updating our Mariner Loyalty program, we only give the medallions and do not give away pins any longer.

We encourage you to visit our website at www.hollandamerica.com for complete details about the Mariner Society Rewards Program.

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance. Holland America Line thanks you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

Lori

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139

AND in regards to our 4 Star Mariner Lapel Pins (which we also have not received), I received 2 emails:

Dear Mrs. Jett,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line

We apologize that you were not presented with your new Four Star Mariner pins while onboard the ms Zuiderdam.

We will be happy to place them in the mail for you today; please allow 4-6 weeks for international delivery.

Again, we apologize for this error. Holland America Line thanks you for your continued patronage.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the ms Westerdam July 5, 2014.

Kind Regards,

Lisa Marie

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139

And the 2nd email (looks like they realized I was not International:D):

Correction......

Dear Mrs. Jett,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.

We apologize that you were not presented with your new Four Star Mariner pins while onboard the ms Zuiderdam.

We will be happy to place them in the mail for you today; please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Again, we apologize for this error. Holland America Line thanks you for your continued patronage.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the ms Westerdam July 5, 2014.

Kind Regards,

Lisa Marie

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139

So, there you have it. They no longer have them:( Oh well......

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Did I not see something in your post, it appears you received three emails from HAL, one saying they no longer give out the Mariner Pins only Medallions but two that say they will send them to you..................HELP?

Medallion pins are different than the mariner STAR pins which are still awarded.

Joanie was I believe emailing about 2 separate issues.

Did I not see something in your post, it appears you received three emails from HAL, one saying they no longer give out the Mariner Pins only Medallions but two that say they will send them to you..................HELP?

It's the lapel pins that went with the medallions that were discontinued when the *-Mariner pins were introduced. There are no more in inventory.

The *-Mariner pins that are going to be sent to Joanie.

We were very fortunate to receive our Platinum Lapel Pins as I think they were the first to become scarce. DH enjoys wearing his on his blazer or suit lapel when aboard. :)

I'm very happy to have mine. :)

The enamel Medallion pins are so much more attractive than the Star Mariners Pins though we are happy to have them, as well.

I would call or e-mail them.

There is a 'contact us' link on the HAL site to write Mariners Society or call

800-547-9139.

Congratulations on becoming Four Star Mariners. Enjoy the nice benefits. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We reached 4 star status at the end of our TA cruise - November 15th. Does HAL automatically mail the mariner pins or do we contact them?

They normally do mail them automatically. They take about 6 weeks (at least ours did) so you might want to wait a couple of weeks in case they are on the way and delayed in the mail with the Christmas rush of things ;)

4* has some nice benefits that we take advantage of - congrats:)

Just checked my little bag of cruise goodies, and I don't have my 4 star pin either. I'll have to get in touch with HAL. I have hinted to Santa (DD) that I would be interested in my 100-day pin from e-bay, but I'm not sure if it registered. If I take my medallion with me, I'd probably be overweight!:)

Just checked my little bag of cruise goodies, and I don't have my 4 star pin either. I'll have to get in touch with HAL. I have hinted to Santa (DD) that I would be interested in my 100-day pin from e-bay, but I'm not sure if it registered. If I take my medallion with me, I'd probably be overweight!:)

Here is my POC for the Mariner Society for the Mariner Pins:

Lisa Marie

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139

Or you could just email them which is what I did only because I did not have a phone number.

Joanie

Joanie

I still think that you should try e-bay and see if there are any pins there.

I've seen the pins once in a while on e-bay. I've also seen Medallions offered for sale.

Some time ago, I was looking for HAL Inaugural Plates and saw various HAL memorabelia.

Edited by sail7seas

Joanie,

Congratulations on becoming 4 star mariners.

Your post has reminded me to find our 4 star pins, plus our medallions which had pins in the box with them.

Using your post to answer everyone:)

First to you, I'd look in a box if we'd received one. Ours were hung around our necks by the Captain followed by a handshake and kiss to my cheek. No boxes for us.

Yonnie and Sail, I will check on e-Bay tomorrow. Thought about it earlier but forgot.......

Joanie

...The enamel Medallion pins are so much more attractive than the Star Mariners Pins though we are happy to have them, as well.

IIRC, the medallion lapel pins are were not enamel. I seem to recall them as being the same metal as the medallions.

The enamel pins I remember were the blue/white and red/white pins that were given out before the medallion program was initiated.

Scott & Karen

Just received my 4 star pin today aboard the Elegant Explorer ( Prinsendam). I thought it would be sent after I arrived home so I was surprised and pleased.

Joannie I hope your's arrive soon.

Helen

We were very fortunate to receive our Platinum Lapel Pins as I think they were the first to become scarce. DH enjoys wearing his on his blazer or suit lapel when aboard. :)

I'm very happy to have mine. :)

The enamel Medallion pins are so much more attractive than the Star Mariners Pins though we are happy to have them, as well.

IIRC, the medallion lapel pins are were not enamel. I seem to recall them as being the same metal as the medallions.

The enamel pins I remember were the blue/white and red/white pins that were given out before the medallion program was initiated.

Scott & Karen

I'm looking at both my (copper) lapel pin & medallion side by side & I agree that the lapel pin appears to be the same metal as the medallion. (My) lapel pin does not appear to be 'enamelled'! ;)

The medallion pins and the medallions may have come out at the same time (I don't recall specifically), but the pins definitely did not come out before.

The "new" medallions came out in either 1999 or 2000. I got the first medallion of the old style in 1998, and by the time I sailed again in 2000 the new ones had come out. There were no pins prior to the red & blue ones; I did get the copper pin when I picked up the copper medallion.

Edited by RuthC

The medallion pins and the medallions may have come out at the same time (I don't recall specifically), but the pins definitely did not come out before.

The "new" medallions came out in either 1999 or 2000. I got the first medallion of the old style in 1998, and by the time I sailed again in 2000 the new ones had come out. There were no pins prior to the red & blue ones; I did get the copper pin when I picked up the copper medallion.

Yes. Prior to the current Medallions and pins (no longer presented), there were 25 day, 50 day and perhaps 100? day enamel pins. I remember there were blue and red pins and I don't recall other color(s). They were discontinued when the current Medallions and pins were introduced.

Seems to me our Platinum Lapel Pin is not silver color as that would be for 300 days. The 700 day pin is whiter and stands out as such so there must be enamel of some sort over the base metal. The pins for copper, silver and gold levels are the same colors as the Medallions.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes. Prior to the current Medallions and pins (no longer presented), there were 25 day, 50 day and perhaps 100? day enamel pins.

There was no 100-day anything under the program that ended in 1999 or 2000; everything was awarded by "miles" sailed.

We got certificates for various levels prior to the 40,000 mile level, when we were awarded the first medallion, which was silver.

I don't recall the certificate levels, but I do recall there was "Cadet" and "Mariner".

The Mariner Program previous to the current Mariner Medallion Program was:

Able Mariner certificate after 3 completed cruises

Cadet Mariner certificate after 5 completed cruises

Grand Mariner certificate and lapel pin after 10 completed cruises

Cruise Mileage ..... Cruise Days

40,000 miles ..... 115 cruise days .....Silver Medallion, lapel pin and certificate

10,000 miles .....285 cruise days ...... Gold Medallion, lapel pin and certificate

250,000 miles ..... 713 cruise days ..... Platinum Medallion, lapel pin and certificate.

This program ended and was replaced with:

100 Actual Cruise days = Copper Medallion

300 Actual Cruise days = Silver Medallion

500 Actual Cruise days = Gold Medallion

700 Actual Cruise days = Platinum Medallion

Lapel Pins were awarded with the Medallions in the past but it has been reported they have ceased presenting the lapel pins.

Since the Mariner Medallion Program was revamped, HAL added another Mariner Program and the most current is Star Mariner Program:

Star Mariner is One completed cruise

2 Star Mariner is 30 cruise day credits

3 Star Mariner is 75 cruise day credits

4 Star Mariner is 200 cruise day credits

5 Star Mariner is 500 cruise day credits

The second Medallion Program described above runs concurrent with the Star Mariner Program.

Edited by sail7seas