Medallion Lapel Pins... All Gone and 1-5 Star Lapel Pins...

IRL_Joanie

Yes. Prior to the current Medallions and pins (no longer presented), there were 25 day, 50 day and perhaps 100? day enamel pins. I remember there were blue and red pins and I don't recall other color(s). They were discontinued when the current Medallions and pins were introduced.

Seems to me our Platinum Lapel Pin is not silver color as that would be for 300 days. The 700 day pin is whiter and stands out as such so there must be enamel of some sort over the base metal. The pins for copper, silver and gold levels are the same colors as the Medallions.

I have both a blue & red pin; the blue pin having being given for 25 cruise days & the red pin having being given for 50 cruise days! And I don't recall any other colour either!

We consistently find Mariners Society one of the best HAL Departments in the Seattle office. They seem very able and eager to help Mariners with our various requests.

Happy you got your Four Star pin, Joanie. :)

Enjoy the benefits !

We consistently find Mariners Society one of the best HAL Departments in the Seattle office. They seem very able and eager to help Mariners with our various requests.

Happy you got your Four Star pin, Joanie. :)

Enjoy the benefits !

Thanks Sail:) Actually we were 4 star on this last cruise:) Just had not realized it until we got our Ship Cards at the Port.

Believe me, we took full advantage of it on PG and Le Cirque when we took our friends to dinner and only paid $78.00 for the 4 of us:D Hubby also took advantage of it in the shops:D

Joanie

Well just 4 days since emailing the Mariner Society about our 4 Star Mariner Lapel Pins, they arrived in today's mail:)

I have to say that once again I am surprised at the super fast response by the Society:)

Joanie

Thanks for letting us know that your 4 star Mariner pins arrived so promptly.

Must confess we have never worn ours!

Thanks for letting us know that your 4 star Mariner pins arrived so promptly.

Must confess we have never worn ours!

I am proud of them and wear them pinned to our Lanyards whenever we are on a cruise.

Have to add that today hubby was going through some of the photos he took on the ship and discovered he had taken photos of the Medallions draped on a stand and 3 matching Lapel Pins placed on the table in front of the medallions. Photos were taken just before the presentation. There were 4 Medallions, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze (or copper since I am color blind) and 3 boxed pins looked like Platinum, Gold and Bronze (or copper)

Wish we'd stayed around long enough to get our Lapel Pins. I had to leave because of the perfumes and cologne being to much for me:( Guess if we'd stayed we'd have gotten them.

Guess what I am saying is that IF you are invited to attend a Pre Mariner's Brunch ceremony just before the Brunch, make sure that IF they have Pins on the table, that you make sure you get yours on Zuiderdam.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

The Mariner Program previous to the current Mariner Medallion Program was:

Able Mariner certificate after 3 completed cruises

Cadet Mariner certificate after 5 completed cruises

Grand Mariner certificate and lapel pin after 10 completed cruises

Cruise Mileage ..... Cruise Days

40,000 miles ..... 115 cruise days .....Silver Medallion, lapel pin and certificate

10,000 miles .....285 cruise days ...... Gold Medallion, lapel pin and certificate

250,000 miles ..... 713 cruise days ..... Platinum Medallion, lapel pin and certificate.

This program ended and was replaced with:

100 Actual Cruise days = Copper Medallion

300 Actual Cruise days = Silver Medallion

500 Actual Cruise days = Gold Medallion

700 Actual Cruise days = Platinum Medallion

Lapel Pins were awarded with the Medallions in the past but it has been reported they have ceased presenting the lapel pins.

Since the Mariner Medallion Program was revamped, HAL added another Mariner Program and the most current is Star Mariner Program:

Star Mariner is One completed cruise

2 Star Mariner is 30 cruise day credits

3 Star Mariner is 75 cruise day credits

4 Star Mariner is 200 cruise day credits

5 Star Mariner is 500 cruise day credits

The second Medallion Program described above runs concurrent with the Star Mariner Program.

Here are a few of the Mariner Pins, mentioned above. I believe that the white silver 300 days pin is the last current "enameled" pin.

There were also numerous other HAL Logo pins - Stick Pins, Cuff Links, etc.

HAL-Pins.jpg.1bb30fcfa289168263d76e2f705ff5de.jpg

Edited by The Tsar
No photo uploaded

Here are a few of the Mariner Pins, mentioned above. I believe that the white silver 300 days pin is the last current "enameled" pin.

Interesting to see the photo.

Thank you

The Mariner Program previous to the current Mariner Medallion Program was:

Able Mariner certificate after 3 completed cruises

Cadet Mariner certificate after 5 completed cruises

Grand Mariner certificate and lapel pin after 10 completed cruises

Cruise Mileage ..... Cruise Days

40,000 miles ..... 115 cruise days .....Silver Medallion, lapel pin and certificate

10,000 miles .....285 cruise days ...... Gold Medallion, lapel pin and certificate

250,000 miles ..... 713 cruise days ..... Platinum Medallion, lapel pin and certificate.

This program ended and was replaced with:

100 Actual Cruise days = Copper Medallion

300 Actual Cruise days = Silver Medallion

500 Actual Cruise days = Gold Medallion

700 Actual Cruise days = Platinum Medallion

Lapel Pins were awarded with the Medallions in the past but it has been reported they have ceased presenting the lapel pins.

Since the Mariner Medallion Program was revamped, HAL added another Mariner Program and the most current is Star Mariner Program:

Star Mariner is One completed cruise

2 Star Mariner is 30 cruise day credits

3 Star Mariner is 75 cruise day credits

4 Star Mariner is 200 cruise day credits

5 Star Mariner is 500 cruise day credits

The second Medallion Program described above runs concurrent with the Star Mariner Program.

Should that be 100,000 miles?

Well just 4 days since emailing the Mariner Society about our 4 Star Mariner Lapel Pins, they arrived in today's mail:)

I have to say that once again I am surprised at the super fast response by the Society:)

Joanie

LOL..Agree Joanie the Mariner Society Agents are excellent & try to be helpful..

We received our Silver 300 day Medal on our last cruise..I e-mailed Mariner Society & asked if they had the silver pin which used to be given out..They replied that they put two in the mail for us & I received them within a week..

However, instead of the oval silver pin to go with the Silver 300 day Medal they sent us two three star pins..LOL We are 4 star & already have our 4 star pins..

Tsar..Hold on to your collection..It might be worth a lot of $$ eventually..There are people selling them on e-bay now...I looked on e-bay for the silver oval pins, but they are not there yet..I'll keep trying..

To the poster who was looking for a three star pin, KKK suggested you try e-bay...You can purchase all three pins for less than $20 on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&rt=nc&_nkw=holland+america+pins..[/

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I am proud of them and wear them pinned to our Lanyards whenever we are on a cruise.

Have to add that today hubby was going through some of the photos he took on the ship and discovered he had taken photos of the Medallions draped on a stand and 3 matching Lapel Pins placed on the table in front of the medallions. Photos were taken just before the presentation. There were 4 Medallions, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze (or copper since I am color blind) and 3 boxed pins looked like Platinum, Gold and Bronze (or copper)

Wish we'd stayed around long enough to get our Lapel Pins. I had to leave because of the perfumes and cologne being to much for me:( Guess if we'd stayed we'd have gotten them.

Guess what I am saying is that IF you are invited to attend a Pre Mariner's Brunch ceremony just before the Brunch, make sure that IF they have Pins on the table, that you make sure you get yours on Zuiderdam.

Joanie

Joanne..Looks like they have discontinued the lapel pins to match the medallions.. I tried to get the silver ones from the Mariner Society, but they misunderstood me & sent me the 300 day pins instead..

Betty

All our cruise line pins (and similar stuff) have either been long gone in the trash or buried in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

What a shame you didn't turn them back in, so they could have been given to someone else. Who knows, had you done that, perhaps the Mariner Society would have had a few more available for the people who ask for them.

What a shame you didn't turn them back in, so they could have been given to someone else. Who knows, had you done that, perhaps the Mariner Society would have had a few more available for the people who ask for them.

To be very honest, we had no idea that any of that stuff mattered to anyone. We did stop taking the tiles (many cruises ago) and told the staff to give them to other folks that cared (I assume they kept them). One interesting HAL thing is that on several of our cruises they have an auction (near the end of the cruise) where they ask passengers to donate items (for the auction). The proceeds usually go to the crew welfare fund (of some other cause). We once tried to give them some medallions and pins for the auction, but the cruise director made it clear they would not even auction that stuff.

Hank

P.S. Maybe on my next HAL cruise I will wear my Medicare card on a neck lanyard. Then I can boast that I have medical insurance :)

Edited by Hlitner

Guess my only reaction to this thread is please give me a free drink and keep the pins and medallions. All our cruise line pins (and similar stuff) have either been long gone in the trash or buried in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. DW would never let me wear any of that stuff (she would say its all quite tacky, ostentatious, ludicrous, and beyond the scope of most fashion standards). We see no reason to boast to others of our cruise experience as its simply a factor of our age and the ability to pay for cruises. On CC it can be useful to post your experience (as a way of establishing some credibility) but on a cruise (or other where) we would no more wear that stuff then we would put a frequent flyer club card around our neck in a lanyard or wear our Hilton Honors Card. But I guess if some folks need their egos stroked by these nice tokens...bless them :)

Hank

To be very honest, we had no idea that any of that stuff mattered to anyone. We did stop taking the tiles (many cruises ago) and told the staff to give them to other folks that cared (I assume they kept them). One interesting HAL thing is that on several of our cruises they have an auction (near the end of the cruise) where they ask passengers to donate items (for the auction). The proceeds usually go to the crew welfare fund (of some other cause). We once tried to give them some medallions and pins for the auction, but the cruise director made it clear they would not even auction that stuff.

Hank

P.S. Maybe on my next HAL cruise I will wear my Medicare card on a neck lanyard. Then I can boast that I have medical insurance :)

Now that you do know some of us have pleasure from these Mariner tokens, I am sure you'll be less demeaning in telling us how little you value them. It is, of course, your perogative to be dismissive of them but it would be welcome for you to acknowledge some of us enjoy them. It doesn't make us 'lesser' than those who don't care about them.

DH and I enjoy the tiles so much that when we did a beautiful update of a bathroom, we incorporated some of those tiles into a design. We love what they look like and they give us much pleasure to see them.

Hank

The CD would not want to auction medallions or pins because passenger EARN them. Auctioning them would go against the grain of what the program is aimed at.

I don't see pax wanting either until they have qualified for them.

Now that you do know some of us have pleasure from these Mariner tokens, I am sure you'll be less demeaning in telling us how little you value them. It is, of course, your perogative to be dismissive of them but it would be welcome for you to acknowledge some of us enjoy them. It doesn't make us 'lesser' than those who don't care about them.

DH and I enjoy the tiles so much that when we did a beautiful update of a bathroom, we incorporated some of those tiles into a design. We love what they look like and they give us much pleasure to see them.

Good post, Sail. I agree!

The CD would not want to auction medallions or pins because passenger EARN them. Auctioning them would go against the grain of what the program is aimed at.

And I Like this post of Your's. :)

The CD would never auction the Mariners Awards. They are only for purchase by buying cruises! Days aboard.

I don't get why anyone who has not earned a Medallion or pin would buy it on e-bay. In the case of the pins no longer being given out, of course, people who have achieved that level would be happy to find the pin on e-bay but if it hasn't been earned, surely they realize the staff would recognize if they wore it on the ship that their records show they did not earn it. :o THAT would be embarrassing.

And I Like this post of Your's. :)

The CD would never auction the Mariners Awards. They are only for purchase by buying cruises! Days aboard.

I don't get why anyone who has not earned a Medallion or pin would buy it on e-bay. In the case of the pins no longer being given out, of course, people who have achieved that level would be happy to find the pin on e-bay but if it hasn't been earned, surely they realize the staff would recognize if they wore it on the ship that their records show they did not earn it. :o THAT would be embarrassing.

You might lobby congress to extend the Stolen Valor act to Holland America medallions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2013