Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me!

Tenderpaw

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this, but i just found out about the revamp to the point system for the Captain's Club on board the Reflection last week. Don't know how i missed seeing about it here.

Anyway, it pretty much stinks for me. I would have been one cruise (2 points with CC or 1 long cruise) away from Elite after finishing this cruise. Now I'm at least 3 cruises away assuming i book CC for all of them! The fact that i booked this last cruise under the old system and i get the points under the new system stinks more!

I know, I know. They can change it at any time. It's their right, blah, blah, blah. But it still stinks! And their press release about how great these changes are is almost laughable. It wasn't changed to make the program better. It was changed to have fewer Elites!

Rant over! I did have a good cruise otherwise.

Dave

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this, but i just found out about the revamp to the point system for the Captain's Club on board the Reflection last week. Don't know how i missed seeing about it here.

Anyway, it pretty much stinks for me. I would have been one cruise (2 points with CC or 1 long cruise) away from Elite after finishing this cruise. Now I'm at least 3 cruises away assuming i book CC for all of them! The fact that i booked this last cruise under the old system and i get the points under the new system stinks more!

I know, I know. They can change it at any time. It's their right, blah, blah, blah. But it still stinks! And their press release about how great these changes are is almost laughable. It wasn't changed to make the program better. It was changed to have fewer Elites!

Dave

Yes, they could have handled the transition to the new system so much better. Some people will tell you that X have done the right thing and all is great but I think they dropped the ball on a few issues. Bottom line is that some people got (or at least felt like they got) ripped off and ended up being very disappointed.

At least you had a good cruise. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I know exactly what you're saying. I am telling myself it is not a big deal (and it's not in the grand scheme of things), but the Panama Canal cruise we took last year would be 120 points in the new system. Guess what we got for conversion - only 90 points.

And then when they offer this bonus booking offer of 25 extra points it really makes me feel like those 30 points we should have had actually were worth something.

It is kind of annoying. The Internet package minutes (as worthless as Internet can be on the ships) are essential for my husband's job so a coupon for that would be useful to us. Laundry too could be useful.

I know exactly what you're saying. I am telling myself it is not a big deal (and it's not in the grand scheme of things), but the Panama Canal cruise we took last year would be 120 points in the new system. Guess what we got for conversion - only 90 points.

And then when they offer this bonus booking offer of 25 extra points it really makes me feel like those 30 points we should have had actually were worth something.

It is kind of annoying. The Internet package minutes (as worthless as Internet can be on the ships) are essential for my husband's job so a coupon for that would be useful to us. Laundry too could be useful.

I think your issue is totally different. I am sure that it won't make you feel better but any cruises completed last year are irrelevant to the system change. However, cruises that were booked when under the old system (whether completed or not at the time of transition) are now under the new system and therefore may have some people at a disadvantage without having the opportunity to change or cancel the booking.

Dave

I agree! With the cruises I have had booked for months I would have been Elite in May. Now I won't, in fact far from it. Then to added an extra sting they are offering extra points to those booking new cruises by the end of the year, but I get nothing for what I have had booked. The purpose of the program is to build loyalty but I have no incentive what so ever to book future cruises with Celebrity.

Celebrity used to be my favorite cruise line, not so much now.

I'm afraid these posts point out why these complaints don't track very well, and many aren't that sympathetic to the 'issues' raised:

- one post wants the old system to be used to count their upcoming cruise which falls under the new system because they get more points that way; another post wants the new system to be used to count their previous cruise which fell under the old system because they get more points that way.

Is anyone else confused by this? the commonality seems to be: "I want the system that gives me more points no matter what logic is applied".

Den

To make everyone feel better I will tell you my experience. I got to the Elite level when the conversion took place. i sailed on my first cruise being elite and that is also after the conversion.

We were in AQ and had the drink package from the 123 promo. What did we gain from being elite? We didn't go to the breakfast because we ate in Blu and after we had breakfast we walked into the lounge set up for the elite. It was a continental breakfast, and rather sterile.

Went to the HH one night. It was like why bother with the drink pack. It was more convenient to go to a regular bar and have more choices.

Bottom line is don't feel as if you are missing anything. As long as there is the 123 promo being elite doesn't offer much. I have many cruises booked under the 123 promo where I got the drink pack. After those I will be Elite plus and I don't see much improvement to really get excited over or chase after

Don't take this as anything negative as the benefits are great but with the drink pack promo they aren't worth getting upset over or chasing after.

Just my opinion that isn't worth 💩💨

.🎄🎅.

I agree on the loyalty part. We have been on a lot of cruises with different companies. We have the most with NCL and Celebrity. NCL because they have offered cruises close to where we live and their suite life is nice. Celebrity because we like the experience. But to go on Celebrity means a trip to Florida or Alaska. A long haul either way.

I was really looking forward becoming Elite so i could also be Diamond equivalent on Royal, who sails from Galveston. But now I'm almost as far away from Elite on Celebrity as i am from Diamond on Royal. Very annoying considering my first Celebrity cruise was 20 years ago on the Zenith!

I agree! With the cruises I have had booked for months I would have been Elite in May. Now I won't, in fact far from it. Then to added an extra sting they are offering extra points to those booking new cruises by the end of the year, but I get nothing for what I have had booked. The purpose of the program is to build loyalty but I have no incentive what so ever to book future cruises with Celebrity.

I agree with what you have said except that X is still my fav cruiseline.:D

I agree on the loyalty part. We have been on a lot of cruises with different companies. We have the most with NCL and Celebrity. NCL because they have offered cruises close to where we live and their suite life is nice. Celebrity because we like the experience. But to go on Celebrity means a trip to Florida or Alaska. A long haul either way.

I was really looking forward becoming Elite so i could also be Diamond equivalent on Royal, who sails from Galveston. But now I'm almost as far away from Elite on Celebrity as i am from Diamond on Royal. Very annoying considering my first Celebrity cruise was 20 years ago on the Zenith!

This really has me puzzled. Let me understand this, you started cruising on Celebrity 20 years ago and haven't made Elite yet and now you are annoyed that it's going to take longer?

Edited by Ma Bell

This really has me puzzled. Let me understand this, you started cruising on Celebrity 20 years ago and haven't made Elite yet and now you are annoyed that it's going to take longer?

Yes! I have been on about 30 cruises with a variety of lines. I have about 7-8 on NCL and 8 Celebrity. The rest are on Cunard, Disney, Royal, HAL, American Hawaii, etc. I'm annoyed that I'm now further away from Elite and not grandfathering the point calculation for cruises booked under the old system. Yes, i guess if i would have taken a Celebrity cruise instead of 2 HAL cruises, i would be ok.

I booked a cruise under the old system and they changed the rules and moved the carrot further away while telling me its really good for me and i should be happy! I'm annoyed.

Dave

Yes! I have been on about 30 cruises with a variety of lines. I have about 7-8 on NCL and 8 Celebrity. The rest are on Cunard, Disney, Royal, HAL, American Hawaii, etc. I'm annoyed that I'm now further away from Elite and not grandfathering the point calculation for cruises booked under the old system. Yes, i guess if i would have taken a Celebrity cruise instead of 2 HAL cruises, i would be ok.

I booked a cruise under the old system and they changed the rules and moved the carrot further away while telling me its really good for me and i should be happy! I'm annoyed.

I am confused. Given the information above, you had to have had at least 8 old points (even if all 8 of your celebrity cruises were less than 5 days in inside cabins). That would have converted to 240 new points and I am pretty sure people with 8 points were given an additional 25 point bonus so that a 7-night cruise in Concierge Class would make them elite. How do you figure you need 3 more cruises?

If you really completed 8 cruises on Celebrity and need three more to make elite, then I can understand and agree with your frustration. But I really think you have mis-calculated.

Edited by bob278

To make everyone feel better I will tell you my experience. I got to the Elite level when the conversion took place. i sailed on my first cruise being elite and that is also after the conversion.

We were in AQ and had the drink package from the 123 promo. What did we gain from being elite? We didn't go to the breakfast because we ate in Blu and after we had breakfast we walked into the lounge set up for the elite. It was a continental breakfast, and rather sterile.

Went to the HH one night. It was like why bother with the drink pack. It was more convenient to go to a regular bar and have more choices.

Bottom line is don't feel as if you are missing anything. As long as there is the 123 promo being elite doesn't offer much. I have many cruises booked under the 123 promo where I got the drink pack. After those I will be Elite plus and I don't see much improvement to really get excited over or chase after

Don't take this as anything negative as the benefits are great but with the drink pack promo they aren't worth getting upset over or chasing after.

Just my opinion that isn't worth.

I agree that for someone in an Aqua cabin with a free drink program the Elite breakfast and evening social hour isn't a great benefit but then there is the internet, laundry, dry cleaning, wine tasting, elegant tea and free tours as on our last cruise we got to see the bridge and engine control room and could have done a back stage tour as well. Also there is priority boarding and departure lounge.

Others have reported that the cost of cruises when a 123 promotion is being offered is much higher so most Elites or higher Capt's Club status members have found it is cheaper to retain their bookings done when this wasn't being offered. IMO the cost of the 123 offerings is built into the cruise fare so one is actually paying for those so called freebies. Also the cost of Blu is built into the fare of an Aqua cabin.

I am waiting until the current 123 promotion ends at year's end to book the other X cruises we wish to do this winter.

YMMV;)

Edited by robtulipe

I agree that for someone in an Aqua cabin with a free drink program the Elite breakfast and evening social hour isn't a great benefit but then there is the internet, laundry, dry cleaning, wine tasting, elegant tea and free tours as on our last cruise we got to see the bridge and engine control room and could have done a back stage tour as well. Also there is priority boarding and departure lounge.

Others have reported that the cost of cruises when a 123 promotion is being offered is much higher so most Elites or higher Capt's Club status members have found it is cheaper to retain their bookings done when this wasn't being offered. IMO the cost of the 123 offerings is built into the cruise fare so one is actually paying for those so called freebies. Also the cost of Blu is built into the fare of an Aqua cabin.

I am waiting until the current 123 promotion ends at year's end to book the other X cruises we wish to do this winter.

YMMV;)

Thanks, Some nice benefits listed that I didn't know about.:D

Thanks, Some nice benefits listed that I didn't know about.:D

Those aren't official Elite benefits but we have been offered these on most of the X cruises we've been on. IMO you are more likely to get these special invites if you are registered for the Meet & Mingle CC party. Here are shots from our recent Century cruise.

PC050213a.jpg.6e067bb8a23e15279fb27af4044e33fb.jpg

PC050190a.jpg.b4a137484255e0faf90a57afbc879544.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I am confused. Given the information above, you had to have had at least 8 old points (even if all 8 of your celebrity cruises were less than 5 days in inside cabins). That would have converted to 240 new points and I am pretty sure people with 8 points were given an additional 25 point bonus so that a 7-night cruise in Concierge Class would make them elite. How do you figure you need 3 more cruises?

If you really completed 8 cruises on Celebrity and need three more to make elite, then I can understand and agree with your frustration. But I really think you have mis-calculated.

265+3(inside cabin) of 7 nights cruise =307

Those aren't official Elite benefits but we have been offered these on most of the X cruises we've been on. IMO you are more likely to get these special invites if you are registered for the Meet & Mingle CC party. Here are shots from our recent Century cruise.

[ATTACH]296333[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]296334[/ATTACH]

Cool thanks for the pics and the information.:D

Isn't the incentive to have a nice, relaxing vacation?

265+3(inside cabin) of 7 nights cruise =307

But Tenderpaw wrote: "Anyway, it pretty much stinks for me. I would have been one cruise (2 points with CC or 1 long cruise) away from Elite after finishing this cruise. Now I'm at least 3 cruises away assuming i book CC for all of them! "

1 booking in CC for 7 nights would be worth 35 points.

265 + 35 = 300. = Elite.

Hence, bob's and my confusion.

But Tenderpaw wrote: "Anyway, it pretty much stinks for me. I would have been one cruise (2 points with CC or 1 long cruise) away from Elite after finishing this cruise. Now I'm at least 3 cruises away assuming i book CC for all of them! "

1 booking in CC for 7 nights would be worth 35 points.

265 + 35 = 300. = Elite.

Hence, bob's and my confusion.

12 nights in a balcony also works

I would have had 8 points under the old system after last week's cruise thus needing either 2 more cruises or 1 long cruise or CC cruise. The very nice Captain's Club rep told me i would now have 240 points with this last cruise IF it was calculated under the old system. If that is true, i would still need 60 more points to get to the 300 i need to become Elite.

However, the cruise is being calculated under the new system, which to be honest, I'm not sure how many points that is anymore.

Either way, I'm still needed more cruises to get there than i needed before their "improvements".

Am i missing something? I really hope i am!

Edited by Tenderpaw