Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me!

Tenderpaw

Back when I joined the Captain's Club there was a fee to join. Remember???

Yes, when they discontinued the charge they offered a credit to those who had paid the charge that could be used within a year. An example of how Celebrity transitioned into a program in the past.

Edited by Orator

Back when I joined the Captain's Club there was a fee to join. Remember???

YES! I remember paying that fee on my first cruise on the Zenith back in the pre-RCCL days! For some reason, I thought RCCL had already made changes to the Captains Club years ago but grandfathered the few people from the old days in some way. But I guess that isn't the case.

It is foriegn thinking to me that one would book a cruise simply to accrue points just as I find it hard to believe the cruise experience is secondary to the points and someone would cancel a cruise based on the lack of points.

Sounds like coupon clipping were people fill there basement with diapers not because they have a child or need the diapers but because it's all about the coupons.

But then there is a thread just started were people have concerns about cruising Celebrity because the pizza is not as good as on Princess. Really?

If X gave credit for fully paid cruises not sailed then the rant would be moved to those who had booked but not paid.

They drew a line and I am betting they will stand by it but keep howling at the moon if it makes you feel better.

I have sailed insides,ocean view, balconies, Aqua class, transAtlantic's, 11 day cruises and 18 day nothing shorter then 7 and Azamara.

I would say Celebrity has made it a fairer program by going to a given number of points for a specific class of cabin per day.

It may be harder to hit levels but it is a more level playing field. You pay your money you get your points.

Thanks and I will.

I didn't book the cruise to get the credits but I did upgrade to get the extra credit that would of made us Elite. Having booked and paid, we couldn't cancel with out penalty and we couldn't rebook to get the bonus points being offered or even upgrade to get more new points, so we were stuck in limbo, left short due to the conversion and the new point system.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

It is foreign thinking to me that one would book a cruise simply to accrue points just as I find it hard to believe the cruise experience is secondary to the points and someone would cancel a cruise based on the lack of points.

But someone might rather book with another cruise line and not with X because of the low advancement value of the new Capt's Club points if everything else cruise wise is fairly equal or would look at other cruise lines first for cruises because of this.

That is the case for us. We were at a similar number of cruises away from the next loyalty status level on X, RCI and Princess under the old Capt's Club and got to that level in less than five years after our first X cruise. With the other two it's taken us well over ten years. We cruise more often now that both DW and I are retired as we both did so at a very young age. We have averaged over 40 nights per year on cruise ships over the last six years and most of those were on X ships. Now with the new program we will require double to three times the number of cruises to get to Elite plus depending on the cabin category selected or must book a much higher category and more expensive cabin to get the same point value.

We already have done a 15 night X cruise this winter and had our next X cruise booked and paid for prior the announcement of the new program so that is a done deal for us. We now are looking at doing the other cruises we plan to do this year first either on RCI or Princess then we will consider X itineraries if no cruises from those two lines interest us. ;)

Now with the new program we will require double to three times the number of cruises to get to Elite plus depending on the cabin category selected or must book a much higher category and more expensive cabin to get the same point value.

Rob, you have me confused. How can it possibly take you 2 or 3 times the number of cruises to get to Elite Plus under the new program? Elite Plus didn't exist under the old program so you were never any cruises away from the next tier.

Edited by Oville

Rob, you have me confused. How can it possibly take you 2 or 3 times the number of cruises to get to Elite Plus under the new program? Elite Plus didn't exist under the old program so you were never any cruises away from the next tier.

We now will have to do 2 to 3 times the number of cruises on X to get to the new Elite+ level compared to what we need to be Diamond+ on RCI even though at the change over, comparison wise, we would have had 2 less old cruise credits on RCI than X. We have done one 12 night plus cruise less on RCI than on X and all except for our last RCI cruise were credited using the same credit award structure that was common to both previously.

We need 240 points on X and 50 points on RCI to attain plus status.

On X that's 120 nights in an IN or OV, 80 nights in Veranda or 48 nights in Concierge or Aqua. We never done full suites on any of the cruises we've done, highest has been mini-suites or Concierge.

On RCI that's 50 nights in IN, OV and Balcony or 25 nights in a JS or higher.

With Princess we need 7 cruises only, even short ones and we're Elite.

Sorry if my math and thinking has confused you.:eek:

Edited by robtulipe

We now will have to do 2 to 3 times the number of cruises on X to get to the new Elite+ level compared to what we need to be Diamond+ on RCI even though at the change over, comparison wise, we would have had 2 less old cruise credits on RCI than X. We have done one 12 night plus cruise less on RCI than on X and all except for our last RCI cruise were credited using the same credit award structure that was common to both previously.

We need 240 points on X and 50 points on RCI to attain plus status.

On X that's 120 nights in an IN or OV, 80 nights in Veranda or 48 nights in Concierge or Aqua. We never done full suites on any of the cruises we've done, highest has been mini-suites or Concierge.

On RCI that's 50 nights in IN, OV and Balcony or 25 nights in a JS or higher.

With Princess we need 7 cruises only, even short ones and we're Elite.

Sorry if my math and thinking has confused you.:eek:

Rob, you are closer to being Elite Plus under the new program. There was never Elite Plus under the old program therefore you weren't close as it simply didn't existed, hence the change did not make your further away.

I majored in math in college and am not easily confused on the subject.;):)

Rob, you are closer to being Elite Plus under the new program. There was never Elite Plus under the old program therefore you weren't close as it simply didn't existed, hence the change did not make your further away.

I majored in math in college and am not easily confused on the subject.;):)

Forget about the old X program, I know Elite plus wasn't available then and it is not a factor in my logic. :mad:

I'm considering the difference for getting to the plus status currently for us with the new and current programs for X and RC. Look at the days we need in the cabin categories I mentioned and you can see we need a lot more days on X than we need on RC cruises in a similar cabin even though we have one less long cruise on RC which was the former two credits cruise on both. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Forget about the old X program, I know Elite plus wasn't available then and it is not a factor in my logic. :mad:

Rob, this whole thread is about the new Captain's Club "revamp". How can you say forget the old program? I believe the OP is upset about the new system vs old, not about Princess or RCI.

Also, you were the one who said you would have to take 2 or 3 times as many cruises to now achieve Elite Plus. Give me all the mad faces you want, but I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make.

Edited by Oville

So a cruiser who is Elite on Celebrity is going to now move over to Princess so they can reach Elite on Princess after more cruises there because they can't reach Celebrity Elite Plus as quickly as they think they should?

Do they realize the big jump in freebees is Elite and not Elite Plus? I'm now Elite Plus and it's nice, but mainly it gives us a bit more time on the internet and free coffee. That's it. I'm quite happy with it but it's not the big difference in reaching Elite.

They are going to go on Princess and not get the goodies while cruising Princess they'd be getting on Celebrity so they can then reach a similar tier on Princess. Good idea to switch to Princess because you think its a better Line, but it doesn't seem to track if the whole point is receiving goodies which seems to be the point of the posts. They are already getting the Elite bene's on Celebrity and won't get them on Princess.

What am I missing?

I like my goodies, but I cruise Celebrity because, for me, it is a superior product and the program benefits are a fallout of cruising with a specific Line, not the focus of it

Den

Edited by Denny01

I'm considering the difference for getting to the plus status currently for us with the new and current programs for X and RC. Look at the days we need in the cabin categories I mentioned and you can see we need a lot more days on X than we need on RC cruises in a similar cabin even though we have one less long cruise on RC which was the former two credits cruise on both. ;)

I understand your logic, but the two loyalty programmes are not really comparable as the benefits are so different between Elite and Diamond, Elite+ and Diamond+.

The comparison I use is the additional 95 nights in an inside cabin needed on RCCL to go D to D+, versus the 225 nights in an inside cabin needed on "X" to go from E to E+. To me either the E+ level qualifier is too high, or the benefits at that level are not enough - for example one I would have liked to see is free access to Bistro on 5 and where provided, the Porch.

Of course it may not be long before RCCL revise Crown and Anchor in line with Elite to make attaining D and D+ harder!

It is foriegn thinking to me that one would book a cruise simply to accrue points just as I find it hard to believe the cruise experience is secondary to the points and someone would cancel a cruise based on the lack of points.

It may be harder to hit levels but it is a more level playing field. You pay your money you get your points.

Rob, this whole thread is about the new Captain's Club "revamp". How can you say forget the old program? I believe the OP is upset about the new system vs old, not about Princess or RCI.

Also, you were the one who said you would have to take 2 or 3 times as many cruises to now achieve Elite Plus. Give me all the mad faces you want, but I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make.

Actually Katie, my post was a response to the post I quoted with it and have again quoted above.

As Den stated above Elite + doesn't really offer us that much more than Elite and for us the additional laundry and all day long specialty coffee isn't needed. Perhaps I would use some of the additional internet time, likely to check in this forum, but that isn't a necessity for us either.

I definitely would like to have some of the additional benefits Diamond+ offers as in the Concierge Lounge Access and Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events and that status is attainable more easily or faster for us even though we have actually cruise less with RCI than X.

If you read the OP posts #1, 8 and 11 you will see that he is upset at where he ended up after the conversion and how it will require him to do more cruise on X to get to Elite and he does mention RC.

That is what I have been posting about also.

All I can say, as has been said here and on the other Capt's Club threads, we can agree to disagree on this.;)

Edited by robtulipe

So a cruiser who is Elite on Celebrity is going to now move over to Princess so they can reach Elite on Princess after more cruises there because they can't reach Celebrity Elite Plus as quickly as they think they should?

Do they realize the big jump in freebees is Elite and not Elite Plus? I'm now Elite Plus and it's nice, but mainly it gives us a bit more time on the internet and free coffee. That's it. I'm quite happy with it but it's not the big difference in reaching Elite.

They are going to go on Princess and not get the goodies while cruising Princess they'd be getting on Celebrity so they can then reach a similar tier on Princess. Good idea to switch to Princess because you think its a better Line, but it doesn't seem to track if the whole point is receiving goodies which seems to be the point of the posts. They are already getting the Elite bene's on Celebrity and won't get them on Princess.

What am I missing?

I like my goodies, but I cruise Celebrity because, for me, it is a superior product and the program benefits are a fallout of cruising with a specific Line, not the focus of it

Den

Den, with Princess you get better internet package at Platinum (5 completed cruise level) so one has that when doing the cruises to get to Elite. That is a minimum of 150 complimentary minutes and could be up to 500 minutes depending on the length of the cruise. Also Princess Elite is not the same program as X Elite. It offers different benefits like a complimentary mini bar set up might be preferred by some over the X Elite social event. It has been mention by some X Elite on this forum that they don't even bother with this event so perhaps these folks would prefer this in room set up.

Also, although not A Capt's Circle benefit, Princess ships have self serve laundry facilities which DW prefers on longer cruise over the X Elite free laundry bag as there are certain pieces of clothing that she won't send out to the ship's laundry fearing the consequences of doing so with her delicate items of clothing. Longer cruises typically have lots of sea days that provides adequate time for us to do our own laundry.

Each cruise line I mention has their unique loyalty programs and it is up to each individual to decide which one meets their needs the best.

Edited by robtulipe

I understand your logic, but the two loyalty programmes are not really comparable as the benefits are so different between Elite and Diamond, Elite+ and Diamond+.

The comparison I use is the additional 95 nights in an inside cabin needed on RCCL to go D to D+, versus the 225 nights in an inside cabin needed on "X" to go from E to E+. To me either the E+ level qualifier is too high, or the benefits at that level are not enough - for example one I would have liked to see is free access to Bistro on 5 and where provided, the Porch.

Of course it may not be long before RCCL revise Crown and Anchor in line with Elite to make attaining D and D+ harder!

I agree that the X and RC loyalty programs are different so one must decide which best meets their needs and your cruise nights required comparison is right on. One now gets much less loyalty program value per cruise night unless they are in a high category suite.

We knew changes were coming to the X program but I thought it would be similar to the day points RCI changed to or without getting much less point value for balcony and lower cabins. Yes, RCI may do likewise so that's why we need to get to Diamond+ ASAP.:rolleyes:

What am I missing?

Den

I'm guessing it is all about the perks, not what line they cruise on. I would cruise Celebrity if there were no loyalty/rewards progam because I love the product, but obviously not everyone feels that way.

I'm guessing it is all about the perks, not what line they cruise on. I would cruise Celebrity if there were no loyalty/rewards progam because I love the product, but obviously not everyone feels that way.

This is a perfect example of a misinterpretation of the OP's and many other's sentiments.

I have not read any comments like this except from those wishing to trivialize those who are not thrilled

with X's changes to its loyalty program. Yes celebrity can make changes and no that is not why we wish to cruise Celebrity.

Most of the complaints focus on how Celebrity changed the program without any transition period or any allowances given

especially to those who had booked and paid for upcoming cruises.

Frankly it's not a big deal but neither is it no deal. The loyalty program is not a big part of the entire Celebrity "package",

but it is a part of the package.

This is a perfect example of a misinterpretation of the OP's and many other's sentiments.

I have not read any comments like this except from those wishing to trivialize those who are not thrilled

with X's changes to its loyalty program. Yes celebrity can make changes and no that is not why we wish to cruise Celebrity.

Most of the complaints focus on how Celebrity changed the program without any transition period or any allowances given

especially to those who had booked and paid for upcoming cruises.

Frankly it's not a big deal but neither is it no deal. The loyalty program is not a big part of the entire Celebrity "package",

but it is a part of the package.

Not misinterpreting anything, the poster said they wanted to go over to Princess because it would take them less cruises to move up the latter for perks. It is fine if someone wants to do that, I just choose to stay with a cruise line that I have a great experience with, no matter that I might never make Elite+ and will never make Zenith.

I understand those complaints, but Celebrity made the decision and it doesn't look like they are going to go back and change the rules. If the were to and give those with paid for cruises the old points, they would have many, many, many more customers ticked off who have booked cruises. I don't think they want the majority unhappy.

Not misinterpreting anything, the poster said they wanted to go over to Princess because it would take them less cruises to move up the latter for perks. It is fine if someone wants to do that, I just choose to stay with a cruise line that I have a great experience with, no matter that I might never make Elite+ and will never make Zenith.

I understand those complaints, but Celebrity made the decision and it doesn't look like they are going to go back and change the rules. If the were to and give those with paid for cruises the old points, they would have many, many, many more customers ticked off who have booked cruises. I don't think they want the majority unhappy.

You keep talking about the "majority". What is your statistical basis for knowing how the "majority" feels or would feel? You are simply making assertions based on your own bias. That others might complain if Celebrity recognizes that people booked and paid for cruises in good faith prior to any announcement of a program is irrelevant to Celebrity doing the ethical thing. The only thing you've said that I can agree with is that Celebrity won't change. That message is as clear as can be. Only time will tell if Celebrity made the best decision to enhance their bottom line. I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg and more enhancements to the bottom line are on the way.

You keep talking about the "majority". What is your statistical basis for knowing how the "majority" feels or would feel? You are simply making assertions based on your own bias. That others might complain if Celebrity recognizes that people booked and paid for cruises in good faith prior to any announcement of a program is irrelevant to Celebrity doing the ethical thing. The only thing you've said that I can agree with is that Celebrity won't change. That message is as clear as can be. Only time will tell if Celebrity made the best decision to enhance their bottom line. I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg and more enhancements to the bottom line are on the way.

You are making your assertions based on your own bias as well. What figures do you have to say that the majority are not happy? I think many will compalin if Celebrity recognizes those that booked and paid for cruise, since they were not given the same opportunity as these cruisers. Don't think it is the tip of the iceberg, think it is just a few who are still unhappy, I think most have moved on and realize that it is what it is.

As far as your assertions that it is for cost cutting is also incorrect. Celebrity has added millions of dollars in benefits. Just alone the upgrade that now everyone can do, not just those in inside and oceanview cabins, will cost Celebrity millions each year. Not to mention the new Elite+ perks, some might not think they are worth it, but it still will cost Celebrity for those perks. And let's not forget about the Zenith perks, which are fantastic, they too cost money. I understand that some want to vilify Celebrity, because they are not getting what they want from the new program, but to say that it is purely for cost cutting, doesn't make sense no matter how it is spun....my opinion, I'm sure others feel differently.

Possibly if the Elites didn't complain over and over again to Celebrity corporate (who has said they received so many calls, especially in the last two years) and on this site about it being too easy to become Elite and they thought it was too crowded for them, Celebrity might have made the program less forgiving as far as customers reaching other tiers a little easier. But, it is what it is.

If, and a big if, Celebrity does resort to cost cutting and I or anyone else doesn't feel that they are receiving the cruising experience that they want, I guess it would be time to move to another cruise line, but I don't expect that to be happen, at least for me, since I don't feel that Celebrity will lessen their product, they will do things (like new entertainment) to improve the experience for me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You are making your assertions based on your own bias as well. What figures do you have to say that the majority are not happy? I think many will compalin if Celebrity recognizes those that booked and paid for cruise, since they were not given the same opportunity as these cruisers. Don't think it is the tip of the iceberg, think it is just a few who are still unhappy, I think most have moved on and realize that it is what it is.

As far as your assertions that it is for cost cutting is also incorrect. Celebrity has added millions of dollars in benefits. Just alone the upgrade that now everyone can do, not just those in inside and oceanview cabins, will cost Celebrity millions each year. Not to mention the new Elite+ perks, some might not think they are worth it, but it still will cost Celebrity for those perks. And let's not forget about the Zenith perks, which are fantastic, they too cost money. I understand that some want to vilify Celebrity, because they are not getting what they want from the new program, but to say that it is purely for cost cutting, doesn't make sense no matter how it is spun....my opinion, I'm sure others feel differently.

Possibly if the Elites didn't complain over and over again to Celebrity corporate (who has said they received so many calls, especially in the last two years) and on this site about it being too easy to become Elite and they thought it was too crowded for them, Celebrity might have made the program less forgiving as far as customers reaching other tiers a little easier. But, it is what it is.

If, and a big if, Celebrity does resort to cost cutting and I or anyone else doesn't feel that they are receiving the cruising experience that they want, I guess it would be time to move to another cruise line, but I don't expect that to be happen, at least for me, since I don't feel that Celebrity will lessen their product, they will do things (like new entertainment) to improve the experience for me.[/quote

I never asserted a "majority", you did. Anyone who understands logic knows that one cannot prove a negative as you have asked me to prove. It really doesn't matter one way or another to me what others feel, even the "majority" when making an ethical and moral decision. You don't poll or vote on ethics.

In my posts I've offered specific examples to support each of my points. You can argue by presenting facts that counter those presented. Haven't seen that in any of your posts.

Have you read the latest stock holder reports from RCCL? Might be instructive to do so. Read what they say about profit margins and the need to improve the bottom line. You can get a copy by going to Investor Relations You should also request a copy of the conference call. I listened to it. As one has said before: "you' are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts".

Nothing anyone might say will cause you to ever doubt what you have been asserting. You will continue to post the same assertions again and again completely missing the central thrust of the argument. Since I want to remain civil I will no longer respond to your posts which I'm certain will continue.

Andy: I believe that this thread has lost useful life many posts ago. Nothing to be added.

Edited by Orator

I never asserted a "majority", you did. Anyone who understands logic knows that one cannot prove a negative as you have asked me to prove. It really doesn't matter one way or another to me what others feel, even the "majority" when making an ethical and moral decision. You don't poll or vote on ethics.

In my posts I've offered specific examples to support each of my points. You can argue by presenting facts that counter those presented. Haven't seen that in any of your posts.

Have you read the latest stock holder reports from RCCL? Might be instructive to do so. Read what they say about profit margins and the need to improve the bottom line. You can get a copy by going to Investor Relations. As one has said before: "you' are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts".

Nothing anyone might say will cause you to ever doubt what you have been asserting. You will continue to post the same assertions again and again completely missing the central thrust of the argument. Since I want to remain civil I will no longer respond to your posts which I'm certain will continue.

Andy: I believe that this thread has lost useful life many posts ago. Nothing to be added.

I don't care what others think as well. I don't think what Celebrity did was unethical or unmoral. Sorry haven't seen facts (actually one of your facts was overridden by another posters facts) in your posts, just your opinions as to why it was done. Show me what Celebrity is saving dollarwise and then, I will say you have facts.

I was in business for over 35 years and every company says every year that they have to improve their bottom line, why should Celebrity be any different than every other company. So by spending millions of dollars on the new program, they are going to improve their bottom line, I don't think so. They will spend more than they will save.

And nothing anyone will say will have you doubt your assertions, even though they are completely baseless IMHO. But keep posting your's over and over again and I'll keep posting mine.

If you noticed I didn't respond to your post about the program to be cost cutting, but since you responded directly to me, I responded back.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I cant stand anymore 82 out of 247 was posted by this two person.The percentage is 33.198%

Thats what the poster MAJORITY means.

Every times I come to this thread and I see their posts.

Looks like they are Full time employee of Celebrity :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by iSailor