PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

Wow KK, they've changed it again since last week! I guess they are still fine tuning it. Three days ago I very much enjoyed the veal chop I see it has been replaced with a pork chop. sigh

The quality of the food was still totally wonderful. They steaks were fork cutting tender ( for the most part ) and the rest of the food was the same.

When they switched to the new menu on the 22nd. the sharable sides came as single servings. The next night we ordered as for single servings and got enough to feed four as sides. The following night we asked first and were told they were sharable again. They are still working it out.

I want to see the lobster back and the steak Diane. They already have the steak - how hard can the mushroom sauce be?

KK - I don't think I will do a review. That could change though.

DH will also miss Steak Diane and we will both miss tableside Caesar salad. On another thread the new Caesar salad they got looked horrible.

DH and I both have different tastes so when the sides arrive -- there will be a lot of waste. HAL better rethink this idea.

We have already booked the Pinnacle for every night (including Le Cirque) for our spring cruise.

I can understand not wanting to do a review -- I don't do them anymore.

Yonnie

Wow. Wonder if I will have the same experience as you Cruz chic. My plan is to try all the 4 fire entrees and 2 of the water entrees :)

I'm sure we will love the ambiance too being on top of ship and having windows makes it better.

My Dh was always ordering different items in the Tamarind. He tries as much as he can knowing that he can't get those items at home. And I will order a couple of different items that I share with him.

My Dh was always ordering different items in the Tamarind. He tries as much as he can knowing that he can't get those items at home. And I will order a couple of different items that I share with him.

I've tried a couple of other things and didn't care for them. People seem to love the tenderloin. I didn't care for it. Also tried the shrimp dish but it was in batter so didn't care for that either. Love the Penang curry and the Vietnamese lamb. I stick to those.

We won't even consider the Canaletto anymore.

We wouldn't consider going with others but we'll take a look when aboard and decide if we want to try it once by ourselves. It's more likely than not, we will not eat there. We don't often order the same thing so it could be a 'compromise' dinner and that isn't ideal.

I've tried a couple of other things and didn't care for them. People seem to love the tenderloin. I didn't care for it. Also tried the shrimp dish but it was in batter so didn't care for that either. Love the Penang curry and the Vietnamese lamb. I stick to those.

Thanks for the heads up about what is good and not so good.

We wouldn't consider going with others but we'll take a look when aboard and decide if we want to try it once by ourselves. It's more likely than not, we will not eat there. We don't often order the same thing so it could be a 'compromise' dinner and that isn't ideal.

That is exactly the way we feel.

Something else that bothers me -- no more bread sticks -- in fact no bread of any type from what I see. And I do need bread because of a stomach condition.

That is exactly the way we feel.

Something else that bothers me -- no more bread sticks -- in fact no bread of any type from what I see. And I do need bread because of a stomach condition.

How can Canaletto be an Italian restaurant with no bread or bread sticks? Half the fun of going out for Italian is the wonderful bread. It won't bother me as I have exactly 0 interest in Canaletto, but never heard of no bread with Italian food. I wish HAL would have an authentic upscale Italian alternative restaurant.

Edited by cruisin'girl

Was the Vietnamese lamb on a bone and how lean was it ?

That's right...... I was told no more of that wonderful balsamic vinegar and the olive oil. That vinegar was delicious. Not like any I've purchased at home.

That is sad. I love olive oil with balsamic in it. I can settle for olive oil and parmesan cheese though, assuming they offer any type of bread (I prefer hunks of bread to bread sticks).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Was the Vietnamese lamb on a bone and how lean was it ?

No, it's not on the bone. I'm not a fan of meat on the bone. I found it to be quite lean and tender. The first time I had it I thought it was so so. Then someone on cc mentioned they asked for it extra spicy so I did that. It was good. I still like the Penang curry the best.

How can Canaletto be an Italian restaurant with no bread or bread sticks? Half the fun of going out for Italian is the wonderful bread. It won't bother me as I have exactly 0 interest in Canaletto' date=' but never heard of no bread with Italian food. I wish HAL would have an authentic upscale Italian alternative restaurant.[/quote']

IMO it's not an Italian restaurant. It pretends to be one but for $10 it is what it is. Princess does Italian a 1000 times better than Hal ever could. I wish they would give it up and turn that section into Asian which they are far better at.

IMO it's not an Italian restaurant. It pretends to be one but for $10 it is what it is. Princess does Italian a 1000 times better than Hal ever could. I wish they would give it up and turn that section into Asian which they are far better at.

I would LOVE that. No low end Italian for me, thank you.

Just read a review of the NA dining options ( a really good review) on Honest Cooking and thought I would share with everyone the author's closing remarks:

"During my time onboard the MS Nieuw Amsterdam, I honestly felt that Holland America Line was stuck in the past. But with some distance, I realize that actually that’s not true. It’s not Holland America Lines that’s stuck in the past. In fact, they’re trying to move with the times and gently upgrade their dining options. And they’re doing it rather well. The problem is their customers. They just don’t want things to change. They love their baked alaska. They love their happy hour cocktails, and they absolutely 100% love, Love, LOVE their Surf & Turf Filet Mignon with Lobster Tail at the end of the cruise. In fact, they love it so much they don’t care about the new and more interesting choices they have onboard.

I feel a little bad for good old HAL. They mean well, and their newest dining concepts are actually rather good. They are just not getting a lot of help from their guests."

What do you think? Are HAL pax resistant to change?

Just read a review of the NA dining options ( a really good review) on Honest Cooking and thought I would share with everyone the author's closing remarks:

"During my time onboard the MS Nieuw Amsterdam, I honestly felt that Holland America Line was stuck in the past. But with some distance, I realize that actually that’s not true. It’s not Holland America Lines that’s stuck in the past. In fact, they’re trying to move with the times and gently upgrade their dining options. And they’re doing it rather well. The problem is their customers. They just don’t want things to change. They love their baked alaska. They love their happy hour cocktails, and they absolutely 100% love, Love, LOVE their Surf & Turf Filet Mignon with Lobster Tail at the end of the cruise. In fact, they love it so much they don’t care about the new and more interesting choices they have onboard.

I feel a little bad for good old HAL. They mean well, and their newest dining concepts are actually rather good. They are just not getting a lot of help from their guests."

I haven't had lobster on a Hal ship for well over a year. It's just not good. I love the tamarind. That is good food. I've tried the new Canaletto. That is not good. It bugs me when people say that Hal pax don't like change. The problem is that that change needs to be good. Making a change for the worse is not positive change. I find it amusing when people speak about how good the new menu is in Canaletto having never tried it. Equally amusing is people that think this will be a high end dining experience for $10.

As a new person to HAL and part of a younger generation into more modern dining I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. From what I have seen on here, yes. It seems like 95% of the complaint is that there is change. Lamenting about what is gone and not even willing to try to accept the new. I see people complaining about what they have not even tried yet. I've been amazed at some of what I have read in these threads. It really is a shame to put up such a resistance to change.

I think the changes have all sounded good and since I have nothing to compare it to or grieve over I am sure I will enjoy it a lot.

As a new person to HAL and part of a younger generation into more modern dining I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. From what I have seen on here, yes. It seems like 95% of the complaint is that there is change. Lamenting about what is gone and not even willing to try to accept the new. I see people complaining about what they have not even tried yet. I've been amazed at some of what I have read in these threads. It really is a shame to put up such a resistance to change.

I think the changes have all sounded good and since I have nothing to compare it to or grieve over I am sure I will enjoy it a lot.

An enviable position. And for those that miss some things, I don't see it as complaining, simply noting that they miss some things. As you say, it is so true that you can't miss what you've never had.

With all due respect, I disagree. I have no problem with change. check out my live review on the Prinsendam. I was never a fan of the Canaletto and I loved it there. Went 4 times.

BUT, I do not want to share a meal with DH, He and I have totally different tastes when it comes to this stuff. It's as simple as that. One of us would be

unhappy. I will certainly check it out on my next cruise, but compared to the lovely experience we had on the Prinsendam, it doesn't sound appealing.

I usually do a live thread - so follow along and I will report. If it can be done so I can have what I like and not waste food, then we will give it a try.

If we have to share key things where our choices differ - hmmm?? If you have to eat something you don't like, would you go?

Honestly speaking, after my third cruise in three years with HAL, I found the food becoming predictable. However, the "change" being contemplated in Caneleto is not change I'd embrace. Change the offerings and the wine list, yes - I'd like to try it. Force me to have the same thing my husband has when I want something different then no. Force us to order huge portions that would in turn go to waste then no. That is not the change I would embrace.

DH and I always order different things from the menu...Pinnacle, Canaletto, and MDR. There's not much point in going to the Canaletto when, in all probability, one of us will be unhappy with what we are offered to share.

I, too, will miss the bread sticks.

Even though I am part of the "older generation", I embrace change...when it's a positive thing. Not negative as I see this.

There is an Italian restaurant that we occasionally make a special trip to in NH...an hour/hour and a half drive each way. Tuscan Kitchen (it was featured on Food Network a while back). Now, that is honest to goodness Italian! :p

It never works when you lump a large group and tag them all in one category.

We have never, not once ordered Surf & Turf, we never have lobster on HAL ships (we're from Boston and know good lobster), I love change when it is for the better and improves quality rather than the reverse and I have no longing for baked alaska. It never was good and by the time they stopped it, the baked alaska was just about 'nasty'.

DH and I do not fit into your categorization for the 'older guests'.

Maybe we aren't yet old enough? :D

Now, that's annoying. I hope better service comes along with that. On the Eurodam, the tamarind had great service some nights, less than great others. The last time I was in the pinnacle at night was on the Noordam the service was pathetic. That's the only time I've gone in at night and not tipped,

Thx for the heads up Thebes.

We recently cruised for 21 days on the Noordam. We dined at the Pinnacle Grill five times and had wonderful service (except for two slow water refills).