Connecting Verandas or Royal Suite for Family of Four?

Brentngigi

What would be better for myself, DH and 2 DS ages 9 and 10? We currently have connecting CC cabins, but 1) I want to be able to eat breakfast or other meals together in the room or on the balcony if we want and 2) I just want to keep a little more of an eye on them. 3) When cruise ship crowds get to be a little much for us we often retreat to our cabin to watch movies, nap etc. 4) DH and I would still like SOME privacy.

In your opinion, is it worth it to upgrade? Any opinions are appreciated :)

What would be better for myself, DH and 2 DS ages 9 and 10? We currently have connecting CC cabins, but 1) I want to be able to eat breakfast or other meals together in the room or on the balcony if we want and 2) I just want to keep a little more of an eye on them. 3) When cruise ship crowds get to be a little much for us we often retreat to our cabin to watch movies, nap etc. 4) DH and I would still like SOME privacy.

How about a Sky suite and connecting CC...are you on an S class or M class ship?

It all depends on your price sensitivity. The Royal suite for the 1st & 2nd is quite a steep price. All four of you will get 12 points per night instead of 5 - if that matters. You will also ALL get one or two (depending on cruise length) free specialty restaurant visits. I have over 50 cruises on Celebrity in interconnecting Concierge cabins and find them ideal.

The connecting verandas only open on s class ships

Exactly! I just discovered this. Am currently booked the Constellation.

Last summer we were in a 2 bedroom family suite on NCL. Loved the suite, not so much the cruise line...

This will be our 2nd family cruise and we want to make sure everyone is comfortable.

Exactly! I just discovered this. Am currently booked the Constellation.

Last summer we were in a 2 bedroom family suite on NCL. Loved the suite, not so much the cruise line...

This will be our 2nd family cruise and we want to make sure everyone is comfortable.

So true about NCl, we also loved their 2 bedroom family suite. If price is no problem, you should be ok on a Royal Suite. We booked a Celebrity suite on our first Celebrity cruise when our children were much younger and it worked out ok. For our second we decided to cruise on two connecting C-1 and I really missed the Suite Life, having a bathtub, the walk-in closet, the small details. :( On our last cruise I booked a S-1 connected to a SV, but after a RS became available I moved the whole family to the suite, and we loved it. Guess what we booked for next summer on the Reflection? A RS, I even asked our children if they wanted to have their own room, thinking about a S-1 connected to a SV or a C-1 and they said NO!! :):)

So true about NCl, we also loved their 2 bedroom family suite. If price is no problem, you should be ok on a Royal Suite. We booked a Celebrity suite on our first Celebrity cruise when our children were much younger and it worked out ok. For our second we decided to cruise on two connecting C-1 and I really missed the Suite Life, having a bathtub, the walk-in closet, the small details. :( On our last cruise I booked a S-1 connected to a SV, but after a RS became available I moved the whole family to the suite, and we loved it. Guess what we booked for next summer on the Reflection? A RS, I even asked our children if they wanted to have their own room, thinking about a S-1 connected to a SV or a C-1 and they said NO!! :):)

This is very useful information! Question: is there an actual door to the master bedroom that can be closed, or is everything open?

This is very useful information! Question: is there an actual door to the master bedroom that can be closed, or is everything open?

A Celebrity RS on S class has a separate bedroom with a normal door. fully private. The living room has a separate powder room with toilet and sink, no shower.

I am not sure if the M Class has a powder room separate from master.

A can not speak as to NCL.

No privacy problems. Separate bedroom with a walking closet, TV and a huge bathroom (tub separate from the shower). Queen size sofa bed in the living room with a TV and stereo system, powder room and a dining table for six. The balcony is also huge with a hot-tub. If your children don't want to sleep together you can ask for a trundle bed. Hope this info help, you can also search the room in Youtube, plenty of videos there. :):)

We are considering a similar scenario at the moment. Last year we sailed Summit to Bermuda in a Celebrity Suite. It was fabulous and our kids, then aged 15 and 13, slept on a sofa bed and trundle. We have our next cruise booked on Solstice for Jan 2015, but currently have an S1 with connecting C1 booked. As much as we loved the 'full suite' experience, our kids will need proper beds next time around. Still, the RS is available and looks amazing...very tempting indeed. Considering the age of your sons, I would stay with the RS:)

Edited by HelenfromMelbourne

currently have an S1 with connecting C1 booked. As much as we loved the 'full suite' experience, our kids will need proper beds next time around.

I think this is the best option...still have suite perks plus two full bathrooms and 4 proper beds!

Edited by deise17311

Here's a question: It would cost almost the same to book 2 adults in the RS, and then let the boys keep their C1 cabin (which connects to the cabin of another adult traveling with us) as it would to book all 4 in the RS. (I know the bill is just getting higher and higher...). If we do this, would the boys be allowed to sleep with us in the RS some nights? Would the butler be willing to assist them and our other (non-suite) family member if DH and I were off in another part of the ship?

Here's a question: It would cost almost the same to book 2 adults in the RS, and then let the boys keep their C1 cabin (which connects to the cabin of another adult traveling with us) as it would to book all 4 in the RS. (I know the bill is just getting higher and higher...). If we do this, would the boys be allowed to sleep with us in the RS some nights? Would the butler be willing to assist them and our other (non-suite) family member if DH and I were off in another part of the ship?

I say Yes! Especially if you book it with 1 adult in each cabin (even though the two adults will sleep together)...I love options!!!

I'm doing this in January on the Connie. 3 of us going. I have a royal, so TA booked 2 of us into it, then had 1 customer who was a solo traveler, so booked our 3rd in that cabin to split the cost, and so our 3rd could get the beverage package that was in place at the time by taking the 2nd package for the other room.

When we board, our friend is just coming to our suite and staying there. The butler will simply have a pass key made for him ( I have had passkeys made on other cruises as well). Our 3rd friend won't take advantage of the free specialty restaurant the 2 of us get, but all else should be fine.

I'm doing this in January on the Connie. 3 of us going. I have a royal, so TA booked 2 of us into it, then had 1 customer who was a solo traveler, so booked our 3rd in that cabin to split the cost, and so our 3rd could get the beverage package that was in place at the time by taking the 2nd package for the other room.

When we board, our friend is just coming to our suite and staying there. The butler will simply have a pass key made for him ( I have had passkeys made on other cruises as well). Our 3rd friend won't take advantage of the free specialty restaurant the 2 of us get, but all else should be fine.

I didn't know that you were allowed to do this. I have read mixed reviews about getting suite benefits to children staying in connecting rooms to their parents in RCCL, but I don't really know how Celebrity deals with this. Please let us know how everything works out for your. Wouldn't be cheaper to book the third person in the RS and pay for the drink package? :confused:

My wife and I got a free upgrade to a Royal Suite on our first ever cruise, and it was very nice. But, you'd have only one bathroom. I think two adjoining rooms for a family would be better at least because you'd have two bathrooms.

- Joel

We have 2 kids ds now 19 and dd now 15. We book 2 cabins for several reasons.

We looked at doing the suite thing but usually book either aqua or cc. We have also sailed Disney, RC, and Carnival. The kids love cruising and when asked said they prefer the more laid back Celebrity.

Now the why

1 - 2 bathrooms

2 - They are 6' 3" and 6' tall so the pull out couch and/or trundle bed won't work.

3 - we all get a little quiet time.

4 - when I get up early for coffee there are less people getting disturbed.

The kids have been cruising since they 8 and 12 and have always had a cabin next door. Most of the time adjoining.

Just to clarify....

dkjretired...the deck 11 cabins which were added to the M class ships do have balcony dividers that can be opened.

To the OP.....The RS will indeed provide the casual and dining arrangements you want. As mentioned the FV aft cabins have a terrific balcony which might also work at a lower price point.

Thanks to all for your recomendations! We just switched to 2 adults 1 child in a suite, 1 adult 1 child in a balcony down the hall. Our TA assured is that with the category we chose there would be no problem having the 2nd child sleep in our suite. As a result, thanks to TA, we got free grats for all, $100 OBC for the balcony cabin, $75 OBC for the suite plus classic drink packages for DH, myself and non-alcoholic pkg for the child staying with us plus some internet time. Am hoping they extend elite perks so we can have some laundry and extra internet. Now am REALLY excited about the trip :)

Thanks to all for your recomendations! We just switched to 2 adults 1 child in a suite, 1 adult 1 child in a balcony down the hall. Our TA assured is that with the category we chose there would be no problem having the 2nd child sleep in our suite. As a result, thanks to TA, we got free grats for all, $100 OBC for the balcony cabin, $75 OBC for the suite plus classic drink packages for DH, myself and non-alcoholic pkg for the child staying with us plus some internet time. Am hoping they extend elite perks so we can have some laundry and extra internet. Now am REALLY excited about the trip :)

Just to clarify for you, the royal suites on M class do not have a separate powder room. Only one bathroom. Other than that, it is a lovely accommodation. Tip: there is a second closet between the dining room and the living room. Enjoy!

Glad everything worked out for you, the RS is an amazing room. If you are moving child #2 to your suite, keep in mind that his gratuities will go to the room attendant on the other room. I think it will be a good idea to add an extra tip for your suite butler and room attendant. One of our favorite suite amenities was having breakfast in Blu, don't forget to try it. :):) You also get one or two free specialty restaurants dinner for all the suite guests. Our children love Qsine!!