Is Holland America a good fit for us?

LMaxwell

We are a mid 30's couple who enjoy relaxing on vacation, and to be blunt, don't want the rowdiness sometimes associated with Carnival. Have been quite content with Royal for a number of years but it is getting a little stale to me. NCL shorter itineraries don't appeal to us, something about their smaller ships just doesn't interest me. Have not been able to book on a Radiance class ship yet with Royal, which I would like to do, they seem to be "right sized" at 90K tons and don't have the Royal Promenade (which I like but am just ready for something different).

Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam seem like they would be most similar to Radiance-class ships, but I have other concerns over whether HAL is a good fit for us. We are casual on vacation; not slobs, but we do not dress up every night. I will wear a suit or coat/slacks on formal evening but not a tuxedo. My better half will not wear fancy gowns but will wear appropriate evening wear cocktail dresses. We do not stay "dressed up" after dinner.

We do not go to the disco/nightclub as it is often too loud and has too many 20 somethings being obnoxious drunks, but we DO like nightly entertainment; shows and productions. We also like the adult themed shows on Royal like Love & Marriage, Quest, Battle of the Sexes. I assume (maybe wrongly?) that those don't exist on HAL.

As for food, we do not eat gourmet food at home, but do like "good food" and to have good service. Have generally been pleased with RCI food, except breakfasts which I find suboptimal but never go hungry.

Am looking at 7 day itineraries for the Caribbean. HAL is price competitive with Royal. I will be a Diamond member with Royal which would get us nightly free cocktails, a very nice perk, but I am a light drinker, my better half may have 1 or 2 drinks the entire cruise, so this is not a make or break thing to us. Also do want to note that I do *not* like itineraries where the day before disembarkation is a port stop; I strongly prefer a sea day on day 7, but I would not let that be a show stopper for a good deal.

That background said, is HAL going to appeal? Are there enough evening activities to keep one entertained until 11pm-midnight? If things are "done" by 9PM, that won't work for us. How about day time activities like trivia or ice carving, etc. Don't need belly flop shows or sexy legs, but do like some fun.

On 7 day caribbean cruises are there any cultural talks? I don't mean "shop here, shop here, shop here" talks, I mean real cultural talks. This is something most caribbean cruises completely lack and something I always put on my comments as something I would enjoy.

Vacation time is limited and we have to be budget conscious (we want good value, not the outright cheapest), I don't want to make a mistake choosing HAL, but do realize we are not the typical target audience. Or should I hold off for the right deal/itinerary on a Radiance class ship and stick with what I know and take my free cocktails while at it too?

From the way you describe yourselves, I think HAL would be an excellent fit for you! Don't worry about the dress on formal nights...you'll fit in perfectly.

We just did a 21 day Mediterranean and Transatlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the cultural talks were abundant.

I'm hoping that holds true on future Caribbean cruises now that they've changed it up a bit with the "On Location" things.

I will get "flamed" by some of my fellow HAL lovers but my instincts (and experience with most cruise lines) makes me think the best fit for you would be Celebrity (especially the Solstice-class ships). Here is my reasoning. Your Diamond status on RCI will get you "Elite" status on Celebrity (you need to request this at booking and make sure it is done). Elite on Celebrity will get you daily 2 hour free cocktail parties, a special daily Elite Continental breakfast (where you can get free mimosas, bloody marys, smoothies, etc), free laundry (if that matters) etc. Celebrity actually does a lot more for the Elite's then RCI does for their Diamonds.

As to other issues, we think that Celebrity food is generally better then what we have experienced on HAL (and we have nearly 300 days on HAL and are Elite on Celebrity). Entertainment will be about equal on both lines although we do give additional points to the Solstice-class Celebrity ships where they will do a Cirque-type main show during most cruises. You also might want to research Aqua Class on Celebrity...which costs a little more but gets you some other options such as being assigned to the small dining venue called Blu. Blu has unique menus which please many (including moi) and do not please some others...but you can do your homework on the Celebrity board.

Hank

I will get "flamed" by some of my fellow HAL lovers but my instincts (and experience with most cruise lines) makes me think the best fit for you would be Celebrity (especially the Solstice-class ships). Here is my reasoning. Your Diamond status on RCI will get you "Elite" status on Celebrity (you need to request this at booking and make sure it is done). Elite on Celebrity will get you daily 2 hour free cocktail parties, a special daily Elite Continental breakfast (where you can get free mimosas, bloody marys, smoothies, etc), free laundry (if that matters) etc. Celebrity actually does a lot more for the Elite's then RCI does for their Diamonds.

As to other issues, we think that Celebrity food is generally better then what we have experienced on HAL (and we have nearly 300 days on HAL and are Elite on Celebrity). Entertainment will be about equal on both lines although we do give additional points to the Solstice-class Celebrity ships where they will do a Cirque-type main show during most cruises. You also might want to research Aqua Class on Celebrity...which costs a little more but gets you some other options such as being assigned to the small dining venue called Blu. Blu has unique menus which please many (including moi) and do not please some others...but you can do your homework on the Celebrity board.

Hank

While we love both cruise lines, we agree with Hank on this one. Celebrity would probably be a better choice for you. JMO.

LMaxwell:

You just received two varying opinions, and both are probably correct. However, I feel strongly that you will never truly know "how" a cruise line feels until you try it on. Try HAL. Keep an open mind and enjoy the differing experiences. You will become a more informed cruiser with yet (another) basis of comparison, and that is always a good thing. :)

Thank you all for your inputs, opinions, and suggestions. Keep them coming! I do like to read this board very frequently as I get the sense that most HAL cruisers are "well seasoned". I did on Celebrity cruise a long time ago; enjoyed it. I know they have a reputation for good service as well. I really like the classic look/ambiance of the HAL ships. The newer Celebrity ships seem a little too "downtown chic" for me, but you are all correct, I won't know if I don't try.

I am booked for 10 days on RCI's Legend of the Seas; has anyone here sailed that ship? Is it a fair comparison to S/R class HAL ships? I haven't really sailed a "smaller" ship in a long time. Been going larger and larger, ready to get back to something a bit more personalized. I realize that Celebrity, HAL, RCI, etc are not top flight luxury lines, but they are certainly all above mid-grade in my opinion.

Kicked around the idea of Princess but seems like RCI minus perks but at higher costs. Not enthralled there.

While I do think that HAL could be a good fit for you the only exception would be the entertainment. Sometimes there are lots of things going on that would keep you quite busy, while other times not so much. YES, HAL does play some of the games but again that is not consistent. It seems to be less in more recent months. I think a lot has to do with the Cruise Director. There was a time when the Cruise Director had more people under him on the ship helping with the entertainment they have cut that back. But really confuses me is you stating you do not think that Norwegian would not be a good fit :confused: In all honesty everything you stated sound identical to what Norwegian Cruise Lines offer. I personally like or I should say prefer their itineraries on the 7 day cruises. I especially like what the Jewel and Dawn do because those ports are great for the Western Caribbean. I have become board with the same old same old ports that HAL does for a 7 day.

While we are big HAL fans and have been for years we also love Norwegian and will be taking out 4th Norwegian Cruise March 23rd. The majority of Norwegian's ships are the same size as the Radiance Class (close to 90,000 tons and 2300 passengers and I think a bit nicer. Entertainment is plentiful with excellent entertainment and not a rowdy party crowd. There are NO Formal nights but most are nicely dressed. I am not trying to sway you from Holland America. Heck in less than 50 hours I will be walking across a gangway to board a DAM ship for New Years :D I actually chose that over an NCL ;)

As for food Just my opinion and totally my opinion I found RCI food to be the worst of all the cruise lines we have been on so I do think NCL is a step up especially when dining in the specialty restaurants but HAL is several steps up when it comes to the Main Dining Room.

Then for dressing up, YES HAL has two Formal Nights but in the past 10+ years I have seen a decline in Formal Wear. You really no longer see gowns and very few tuxes worn by the men unless it is a long voyage or something special like the holidays. But then my last RCI cruise 2 years ago I saw many men wearing t shirts and shorts to the Main Dining Room on Formal Night and the best was the two men wearing Wife Beaters with baggy pants. We think we missed the memo on what was to be worn on Formal night on RCI :D

My husband and I are 39, childless, experienced travelers and are embarking on our fourth HAL cruise on January 5. We love HAL.

We have very varied tastes - love opera and heavy metal, art museums and outdoor sports, cultural presentations and ethnic street food. We're up for doing just about anything at any time with anyone of any age. We can talk to just about anyone or are happy just hanging out in the Crow's Nest reading or listening to music by ourselves.

Like everyone else, we work hard for our vacation dollars and feel like Holland America delivers a quality experience at a reasonable price. I am not interested in belly flop contests or obnoxious announcements. Our first cruise was bought as a flash sale on the Eurodam for a bargain basement price. We had a fabulous time and decided cruising isn't just for old folks. (Not that there is anything wrong with old folks - we admire their experiences!)

We're still very new to cruising and finds it offers a nice escape from crummy New York winters. We've gotten into a schedule of some sort of land vacation during the warmer months, cruising in the winter. We have met very interesting (and well-traveled) people on our cruises. We book open dining so we have some flexibility in the evenings and often just order room service or dine in the Lido if we are busy doing other things or just want to do nothing at all. We appreciate the down time to watch movies (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have very nice dedicated theaters) or the smaller audience-participation shows. Neither of us are fans of the big productions, but we are spoiled by living an hour outside of Manhattan and have access to world-class entertainment. The varied live music around the ship in the evening is very good as well.

Vacation is a time for us to relax and reconnect and Holland America allows us to do that without being intrusive. All of that, combined with the wrapround promenade deck, wonderful Crow's Nest, plenty of places for us to break out our card game, the FABULOUS thermal spa and quality staterooms.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. There aren't many Gen X'ers on the ships but those of us to do sail seem to love it.

Edited by 1884Vic

I intentionally did not mention "well seasoned" or age in my other post...and for good reason. While it is true that HAL tends to attract older cruisers (we are in our 60s and have been among the babies on some of our longer HAL cruises) this is less of a factor on the short (7 day) cruises. And we have also been on some Celebrity cruises when we thought they were going for the record number of scooters/wheelchairs on a single cruise. We noticed that somebody said they would recommend Princess...and we also like this line but felt that the advantages of being "Elite" on Celebrity was somewhat of a "deal maker." Since DW and I both enjoy alcoholic beverages we once calculated that on Celebrity we were getting over $60 a day in free alcohol (between the 2 daily Elite events). Since the OP has never cruised on HAL they would not get any perks on that line.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You sound like us when we were in our 30's. Used to live in MN and did not like winter so cruised at least once a year. We had high pressure jobs and needed to relax so stayed away from party ships. Over the years, we have sailed HAL, RC, Celebrity and Princess; liked Celebrity a lot, had issues with service on Princess and found too many children on RC. Have nothing against children but like our peace and quiet while lounging around the pool on sea days. We so enjoyed the service and amenities on HAL and although we do enjoy the shows, we do not always go as we just like walking around the deck and having a quiet drink with nice music. The choices that were available were more to our liking as not big into dancing until 3 am but love games of all sorts. The passengers often had the greatest stories as usually well traveled! Prices on shorter cruises were competitive across the lines and if you can swing more time off, back-to-back cruises are usually well priced. The cheapest cruises we found were ones that came back just before Christmas, although the airfare can be an issue. Also, we really like the smaller ships as we love talking with people and on longer cruises, we have the opportunity to meet many/most of the passengers. In the past 10 years, we rarely looked at anything but HAL cruises. Now that we are retired, we pretty much exclusively cruise HAL.

Best advice is cruise on any of the 3 lines mentioned but pick the cruise for the itinerary and the price. Then try the other lines for future cruises as each has their own 'personality'.

Have fun discovering the ones for you!

Edited by take us away

My last 4 cruises were Hal and we have cruised most of the major lines and we are Diamond on RCCL, I would give Hal a chance. I do think food is better on Hal in general, they do some little things well such as fresh orange juice for breakfast ( which I believe RCCL charges for) , there is entertainment to 11 or a little after, but I would never compare Hal entertainment with RCCL. I am back on RCCL for next cruise, but was glad I did my Hal cruises.

While I do think that HAL could be a good fit for you the only exception would be the entertainment. Sometimes there are lots of things going on that would keep you quite busy, while other times not so much. YES, HAL does play some of the games but again that is not consistent. It seems to be less in more recent months. I think a lot has to do with the Cruise Director. There was a time when the Cruise Director had more people under him on the ship helping with the entertainment they have cut that back. But really confuses me is you stating you do not think that Norwegian would not be a good fit :confused: In all honesty everything you stated sound identical to what Norwegian Cruise Lines offer. I personally like or I should say prefer their itineraries on the 7 day cruises. I especially like what the Jewel and Dawn do because those ports are great for the Western Caribbean. I have become board with the same old same old ports that HAL does for a 7 day.

While we are big HAL fans and have been for years we also love Norwegian and will be taking out 4th Norwegian Cruise March 23rd. The majority of Norwegian's ships are the same size as the Radiance Class (close to 90,000 tons and 2300 passengers and I think a bit nicer. Entertainment is plentiful with excellent entertainment and not a rowdy party crowd. There are NO Formal nights but most are nicely dressed. I am not trying to sway you from Holland America. Heck in less than 50 hours I will be walking across a gangway to board a DAM ship for New Years :D I actually chose that over an NCL ;)

As for food Just my opinion and totally my opinion I found RCI food to be the worst of all the cruise lines we have been on so I do think NCL is a step up especially when dining in the specialty restaurants but HAL is several steps up when it comes to the Main Dining Room.

Then for dressing up, YES HAL has two Formal Nights but in the past 10+ years I have seen a decline in Formal Wear. You really no longer see gowns and very few tuxes worn by the men unless it is a long voyage or something special like the holidays. But then my last RCI cruise 2 years ago I saw many men wearing t shirts and shorts to the Main Dining Room on Formal Night and the best was the two men wearing Wife Beaters with baggy pants. We think we missed the memo on what was to be worn on Formal night on RCI :D

Lisa,

I appreciate and enjoy your analysis of cruise lines :)

I like to know ( if possible ) and if your time allows how you made your decision on your next march cruise choosing between NCL & HAL. Thanks.

Edited by Thebes

My husband and I are 39, childless, experienced travelers and are embarking on our fourth HAL cruise on January 5. We love HAL.

We have very varied tastes - love opera and heavy metal, art museums and outdoor sports, cultural presentations and ethnic street food. We're up for doing just about anything at any time with anyone of any age. We can talk to just about anyone or are happy just hanging out in the Crow's Nest reading or listening to music by ourselves.

Like everyone else, we work hard for our vacation dollars and feel like Holland America delivers a quality experience at a reasonable price. I am not interested in belly flop contests or obnoxious announcements. Our first cruise was bought as a flash sale on the Eurodam for a bargain basement price. We had a fabulous time and decided cruising isn't just for old folks. (Not that there is anything wrong with old folks - we admire their experiences!)

We're still very new to cruising and finds it offers a nice escape from crummy New York winters. We've gotten into a schedule of some sort of land vacation during the warmer months, cruising in the winter. We have met very interesting (and well-traveled) people on our cruises. We book open dining so we have some flexibility in the evenings and often just order room service or dine in the Lido if we are busy doing other things or just want to do nothing at all. We appreciate the down time to watch movies (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have very nice dedicated theaters) or the smaller audience-participation shows. Neither of us are fans of the big productions, but we are spoiled by living an hour outside of Manhattan and have access to world-class entertainment. The varied live music around the ship in the evening is very good as well.

Vacation is a time for us to relax and reconnect and Holland America allows us to do that without being intrusive. All of that, combined with the wrapround promenade deck, wonderful Crow's Nest, plenty of places for us to break out our card game, the FABULOUS thermal spa and quality staterooms.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. There aren't many Gen X'ers on the ships but those of us to do sail seem to love it.

Hi 1884VIC

We're a gen X couple as well. We decided to take our first cruise on the Eurodam b2b next feb and we're excited about it. We also booked for 2015 on Noordam and we got a nice verandah room with the 18 foot balcony. We have done many land vacations and finally we added cruising to our adventures. We live in a not very cold but cold enough location to get us to enjoy warmer climates in the winter. Wonder what is your favorite ship & itinerary on HAL ?

To the OP. You sound like you enjoy the same things as my husband and me. We decided to give HAL a try and it was a huge mistake. We were on the Eurodam for two weeks in October and cultural talks were pretty nonexistent. However, there was an abundance of "Window 8" classes/seminars! The evening shows and productions were horrible. I think your best bet would be Princess.

Also do want to note that I do *not* like itineraries where the day before disembarkation is a port stop; I strongly prefer a sea day on day 7, but I would not let that be a show stopper for a good deal.

Always a port stop on the last day of a Caribbean Cruise. Either Half Moon Cays (HAL's private island) or Key West.

We are a mid 30's couple who enjoy relaxing on vacation, and to be blunt, don't want the rowdiness sometimes associated with Carnival. Have been quite content with Royal for a number of years but it is getting a little stale to me. NCL shorter itineraries don't appeal to us, something about their smaller ships just doesn't interest me. Have not been able to book on a Radiance class ship yet with Royal, which I would like to do, they seem to be "right sized" at 90K tons and don't have the Royal Promenade (which I like but am just ready for something different).

Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam seem like they would be most similar to Radiance-class ships, but I have other concerns over whether HAL is a good fit for us. We are casual on vacation; not slobs, but we do not dress up every night. I will wear a suit or coat/slacks on formal evening but not a tuxedo. My better half will not wear fancy gowns but will wear appropriate evening wear cocktail dresses. We do not stay "dressed up" after dinner.

We do not go to the disco/nightclub as it is often too loud and has too many 20 somethings being obnoxious drunks, but we DO like nightly entertainment; shows and productions. We also like the adult themed shows on Royal like Love & Marriage, Quest, Battle of the Sexes. I assume (maybe wrongly?) that those don't exist on HAL.

As for food, we do not eat gourmet food at home, but do like "good food" and to have good service. Have generally been pleased with RCI food, except breakfasts which I find suboptimal but never go hungry.

Am looking at 7 day itineraries for the Caribbean. HAL is price competitive with Royal. I will be a Diamond member with Royal which would get us nightly free cocktails, a very nice perk, but I am a light drinker, my better half may have 1 or 2 drinks the entire cruise, so this is not a make or break thing to us. Also do want to note that I do *not* like itineraries where the day before disembarkation is a port stop; I strongly prefer a sea day on day 7, but I would not let that be a show stopper for a good deal.

That background said, is HAL going to appeal? Are there enough evening activities to keep one entertained until 11pm-midnight? If things are "done" by 9PM, that won't work for us. How about day time activities like trivia or ice carving, etc. Don't need belly flop shows or sexy legs, but do like some fun.

On 7 day caribbean cruises are there any cultural talks? I don't mean "shop here, shop here, shop here" talks, I mean real cultural talks. This is something most caribbean cruises completely lack and something I always put on my comments as something I would enjoy.

Vacation time is limited and we have to be budget conscious (we want good value, not the outright cheapest), I don't want to make a mistake choosing HAL, but do realize we are not the typical target audience. Or should I hold off for the right deal/itinerary on a Radiance class ship and stick with what I know and take my free cocktails while at it too?

I don't want to make a mistake choosing HAL, but do realize we are not the typical target audience.

What is typical target audience for a modern most comfortable mass market resort ship sailing under Caribbean sun to three paradise islands + Puerto Rico? :)

Our evening entertainment program on Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam includes excellent food, most of main stage shows, evening tours around the ship, brief stops at "special events" (if any), promenade deck & sports facilities and of course hydropool & thermal suite - a thing that is not available on the ships you cruised before. Make a wise decision and book it in advance (~$250 per couple for 7 days).

It's a tough task not to be "entertained"...

From the list of our preferences you can tell that we are not what you mean under "target audience".

Nevertheless we always try to go to bed as early as circumstances permit - to get up early and fully enjoy the best time on the cruise - mornings.

Note: choose Eastern itineray. Ships: Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

Just in case FYI: evenings from daily programs. This is from a recent cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

2iuxaj5.jpg

nbqfma.jpg

2n07cja.jpg

2exo3z9.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Lisa,

I appreciate and enjoy your analysis of cruise lines :)

I like to know ( if possible ) and if your time allows how you made your decision on your next march cruise choosing between NCL & HAL. Thanks.

Thebes, actually our decisions was really easy and have been planning this cruise for over a year now. First it is the same itinerary as what we did on the NCL Dawn in November 2012, by booking early we could get our favorite Suite on Deck 10 facing aft at a really cheap price way less than any HAL suite, plus it goes out of New Orleans which we have never done and have always wanted to do. We chose the week because in that week is Tom's 60th birthday and our 37th wedding Anniversary and we have several friends that often cruise with us also joining us :) HAL does not have an itinerary that goes to 4 ports in the Western Caribbean nor out of New Orleans.

I actually enjoy alternating between NCL and HAL and like them both for totally different reasons but the one thing they both have in common that I do not find on the other lines is amazing, attentive and friendly crew. I am friends on Facebook with crew I have met on NCL as well as many from HAL. On the other lines I have cruised there was just never that level of service where you get to really know the crew.

Our first cruise on NCL we had extremely low expectations which was probably a good thing because we were blown away at the service and the Specialty dining and most of all the constant good entertainment. We have had three NCL cruises now and each one has been excellent.

With HAL we like the dining experience, we prefer a table for two early dining, the size of the cabins, the crew and the numerous places to relax and read. Plus it feels like being on a ship :)

For those of us that are avid cruisers it really is amazing there are so many choices and styles of cruising. I have learned not everyone is going to like the same things and same type of cruising choices. What I like someone else may find that not to be their liking. We enjoy alternating between HAL and NCL and find that some of the things they do are similar to HAL.

Thanks everyone, I am really enjoying this. By well seasoned I did not mean to imply senior citizen / elderly, just those who may be more well travelled, have been to more unique places and varied trips. People who choose HAL seem to have done other things and then found HAL. This is opposed to other lines that are vacation destinations and not really travelling. A fine distinction that I'm probably not doing well to explain.

I'd like to start using my vacation time to travel, not to just go away. I am local to Port Everglades. In regards to few weeks before Xmas, I just cruised last week and the price for my accommodations on RCI were 1/4 of what the same room is this week. No airfare to worry about. Being close to the port and they have some good winter prices I can sample HAL in the caribbean without making a big commitment.

In regards to NCL...it is my impression, and maybe I am wrong, that their ships devote a good amount of space for suite guests, but at the detriment of all public spaces for others. Also, I don't know, something sterile appearing about their ships to me. Nothing special. They are, out of south florida, usually the cheapest per day cruises and they can attract some very varied crowds. If I'm paying $150 a person for a weekend to the Bahamas I might gamble, but not for real time or money and even then I'm not sure I wouldn't rather just drive to Port Canaveral and take RCI Enchantment of the Seas and take advantage of the Diamond perks. One poster said they figure their perks are worth about $60 per day on Celebrity; I'd estimate Diamond perks for us around 40-50 per day . Sounds pretty reasonable to me. For a weekend cruise I can book relatively last minute, within 2 weeks or so.

As far as concerns; I am a former smoker, my better half does not smoke and she is extremely sensitive to smoke. So, that's going to rule out any balconys. An OV is possible but I think we'd be looking for inside rooms especially as I''ve found out Eurodam and NA have some interesting/larger interior rooms. How does pricing on interior categories run? Wide range?

Also, in regards to something else I read a lot on here; plumbing and air conditioning issues. Is this prevalent on the newer ships mentioned or not? Is it overblown on these forums or a real thing? I've walked through warm areas of ships before but never had a cabin that wouldn't cool sufficiently. That would be a major disappointment to me. Better half likes warm, layers up in sweats when it drops below 80 degrees, i like meat locker. go figure.

Are the newer ships related to any Princess, Carnival, or Costa ships and if so what classes?

Also, I know that all cruiselines have reductions and changes to save money. I know it wasn't what it was 20, 10, 5 or even 2 years ago, but I do like some attention to detail and pride of ship, as silly as it may sound. In your opinions do you think HAL has what it takes to impress a newbie or has it been pared down too much for even the fares they request? I like nautical elegance, dark woods, navy blue, etc. One of the first pictures I took upon boarding Allure of the Seas was of the Nieuw Amsterdam berthed adjacent.

To the person that posted the nightly activities, thanks so much! That is very useful. Looks like enough to keep us going to around midnight; could be a nice change of pace from RCI that has a lot of nightlife, so you don't want to miss out, so you never really relax; we often don't turn in before 2am now. We're not partying, but we enjoy various lounge singers, karaoke, talking to other late night revelers. Toning it down a bit could put more of a focus on morning time, not a bad thing.

Port of call on Day 7; ugh. So not relaxing to me. Then again I don't NEED to get off the ship and run around, but we like to. I just don't like getting back sweaty or sandy late afternoon and feeling suddenly pressured to shower up, get ready, pack, etc., etc. Sea day is for me. Again, it won't stop me, just a preference based on past experience. I would imagine HAL could generate more onboard revenue with a sea day than a port stop? But fuel burn, etc....

All very interesting stuff here. If somehow Port Everglades or Miami magically ended up with a Radiance-Class RCI ship all bets are off! Not holding my breath though. Is Port Everglades the only departure port for HAL in Florida?

Is Port Everglades the only departure port for HAL in Florida?

HAL has been sailing an S-class ship out of Tampa for years. It does a Western Caribbean cruise, with a couple of small variations depending on week chosen.

The S-class are among the smallest of HAL's ships, at about 55,000 tons, and 1260 passengers. They are intimate ships, and very comfortable. The evening venues are essentially the same as the other classes of ships.