Adventure of the Seas - Man overboard?

I just searched for Adventure of the Seas on Instagram and the latest photo shows a night-time rescue, apparently someone jumped overboard last night. Looking at Marine Traffic, it shows the Adventure doing numerous loops around 20km west of Puerto Rico between 20:00 and 03:30 last night. It's only just approaching San Juan now, it should be 08:30 there at the moment. Likely a few people are going to have missed flights!

Yes a man jumped from deck 6 last night. I just got off the boat in San Juan. We performed a search and rescue for about 3 hours with the coast guard. The man jumped from a balcony room about 20 cabins down the hall from ours. Totally freaked out the guests.

We are sailing out on Adventure this morning... We were all woken up around 7am local time by automated phone calls from RCCL telling us not to get to the port until 1.

What time would you normally get to port, and be able to board?

How much of a delay is this?

Safe travels

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

What time would you normally get to port, and be able to board?

How much of a delay is this?

Safe travels

Sea Ya

We've been able to get to the port in San Jan about 11am, and usually board well before noon.

I somehow doubt any vessels man overboard procedures involves hastily removing, then utilising, theatrical spotlights!

"There were spotlights at first and brighter ones joined later. There was talk spreading throughout the shop that people had witnessed the pulling the spotlights out of the theater or ice rink."

Who cares what procedures as long as they were actively looking. We were just on b2b on aos and the staff was one of the best on rccl in a long time. My heart and prayers go out to the family and the crew and passengers because this does definitely affect them!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Just read this on CBC News online. "The U.S. Coast Guard was searching Sunday for a Canadian passenger who jumped off a Royal Caribbean Cruises ship as it motored off a remote Puerto Rican island toward the U.S. territory's mainland.

In a Sunday statement, the Coast Guard identified the missing man as Tien Phuoc Nguyen, a 26-year-old Canadian citizen who was on the final night of a seven-night Caribbean cruise with his family. His hometown was not immediately provided....." very sad indeed that someone feels so bad.

Thoughts and prayers to the family!

Yes a man jumped from deck 6 last night. I just got off the boat in San Juan. We performed a search and rescue for about 3 hours with the coast guard. The man jumped from a balcony room about 20 cabins down the hall from ours. Totally freaked out the guests.

Just curious....did they announce the Ocar, Oscar, Oscar ship wide?

my husband and I were in the dining room when the call went out for Oscar....we knew something was up since the staff were looking at each other.....

There was many speculations on board as far as what actually happened (if the man had fallen, jumped or been pushed overboard).

RCI staff treated this very professionally. I believe they did everything they could for the search, and tried to be as accommodating as possible to the guests who were delayed getting off today.

There were cruisers who said they heard the man yelling for help, but my husband is wondering if they were actually hearing his family on the balconey calling out for the rescuers to save the man.

I hope this family gets closure, either way.

At about 8:45 pm, while watching a show in the Lyric theater, suddenly all ship intercoms said repeatedly "Oscar Bravo Starboard". The show cast stopped everything and were stunned, though started back the show a minute later with no explanation - but many guests were saying that was a code for many overboard.

15 -20 minutes later the captain came on stating a man had went overboard, the ship was in the process of turning around and Coast Guard was on its way. By 11 pm there were 5-10 boats and a helicopter patrolling the waters, spotlights on the water from the ship and many passengers lining all balconies helping the search.

Departure was delayed 4 hours - Windjammer stayed open until 11, hundreds of people lissed flights, which added to the late flights coming in from the US NE snowstorm caused havoc in San Juan! At the port the line of taxis stretched all the way to the freeway as new departing customers were all in the same few feet of sidewalk as guests just getting off the ship. With a late flight, thank goodness at 4:30 pm, we did not get off the ship until 1 pm!:(

CTV News reports the U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a Canadian man who reportedly went overboard from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship headed to Puerto Rico. Canadian Tien Phuoc Nguyen, 26, was last seen by other passengers at approximately 8:46 p.m. Saturday, the Coast Guard said in a statement released Sunday. He is reported to have jumped overboard. The cruise ship was approximately 15 nautical miles east of Puerto Rico’s Mona Island when the incident occurred. Nguyen was on the final night of a seven-day cruise with his family. Royal Caribbean said in its own statement Sunday that as soon as the ship’s captain was alerted, the vessel was stopped, turned around, and authorities were contacted. The location of the ship at the time of the incident was recorded by its onboard GPS system, and the incident was also captured on surveillance cameras, Royal Caribbean said. The Coast Guard says MH-65 Dolphin helicopters and a patrol boat are being used in the search effort and the FBI is investigating why the man may have jumped overboard. After the Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the search, the ship continued toward its final destination of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Here's an article:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/canadian-cruise-ship-passenger-goes-overboard-u-s-coast-guard-searching-1.1610853

I often wonder why so many people chose this method of suicide (jumping off cruise ships) vs other methods. Is it they don't want their family to witness their death, find their body or potentially stop them? I wonder if these suicides are planned or impulsive.

Its been reported that more men take their life in a more drastic fashion (hanging, guns). It seems equal, men and women, with cruise jumps.

Either way, very sad, I cannot imagine the pain someone must be in to do this.

My family and I were on our deck few cabins down and heard his mothers scream and his cries for help about 20-30 minutes after he jumped. He must have had a change of mind. We were all screaming to hold on another few minutes and thats when the boats were lowered. It did take a little while for the boats to get in the water and a few minutes sooner they would of had him. Not sure why they took so long to get in but Im sure their is a reason. My kids can not stop thinking about what they witnessed.

My family and I were on our deck few cabins down and heard his mothers scream and his cries for help about 20-30 minutes after he jumped. He must have had a change of mind. We were all screaming to hold on another few minutes and thats when the boats were lowered. It did take a little while for the boats to get in the water and a few minutes sooner they would of had him. Not sure why they took so long to get in but Im sure their is a reason. My kids can not stop thinking about what they witnessed.

What an unfortunate tragedy.

Edited by clarea

very unfortunate, so sad for families too who witnessed this.

(MIAMI) -- It’s unlikely that the Canadian man who went overboard near the Puerto Rican coast while on a Royal Caribbean cruise is still alive, authorities said Monday.

Tien Phuoc Nguyen, 26, was with his family aboard the ship Adventures of the Seas Saturday, en route to San Juan, Puerto Rico, when fellow passengers reported seeing him go overboard.

The captain turned the vessel around and the U.S. Coast Guard quickly launched a search that evening, but Nguyen has not yet been located.

“I doubt [that he's alive]. Those are very rough seas in that area, lots of sharks in that area, too,” FBI San Juan Office Public Information Officer Moises Quinones told ABC News. “I doubt it, but hopefully we will find him.”

The investigation is ongoing and the FBI is trying to determine exactly what caused Nguyen to go overboard, Quinones said.

“We are looking into whether he jumped, or whether it was an accident, or whether he committed suicide, or whether someone pushed him,” he said.

The ship’s closed-circuit TV cameras caught Nyugen going overboard, according to the Norwegian-American, Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises.

Nguyen’s family is being updated on the search and is back in Canada. “They are doing fine,” Quinones said.

http://www.krqe.com/news/international/search-ends-for-man-who-jumped-off-cruise-ship_59816683

So you are saying you saw him in the water??? This seems like some major info, especially from someone who just joined CC and has one post.