FORMAL NIGHTS JUST FACTS No opinions Please

vinn127

The truth to the formal wear question is that RCI do not care what you wear on formal night. Yes they do offer suggestions to help those cruisers who want a little help deciding what to wear, but in the end it is the cruiser who decides what he or she would like to wear. It is ONLY the cruisers who do not want to let go of yesteryear that complain about what OTHERS are wearing. I have said before, I much rather have a table guest who is a joy to talk with than one who cannot carry a converstion but feels that their formal wear sets them apart from me. JMO

We see lots of people dressed in tuxes and long gowns eating in the Windjammer. We guess they like dressing up for the free cocktails in the Diamond/Concierge Lounges.

I got turned away from a formal night wearing a short-sleeve collered shirt - a lose-win because, more and more, I'm favoring the Windjammer over the MDR.

I find that hard to believe that you were turned down because you were wearing a short sleeved collared shirt. What ship was that on, and when? Was the short sleeved shirt the only thing you were wearing?:D

I have seen many men without ties and jackets.

Do you have to wear jackets and ties on formal nights or are you allowed to dine, in MDR, in casual wear (dress pants and button down shirts) ? Please keep your opinions to yourself and just answer the question. Not looking to hurt feelings just get answers.

Thank you all.

A story for you.

On one cruise I only brought casual attire (dress slacks and collared white shirt). We were on the MTD plan, and preferred a table for two seating.

On the first night we skipped the MDR because we were tired, and ate at the WJ.

The second night was a formal night, so we also ate at the WJ.

On the 3rd night when we showed up at the MDR they asked what had happened to us, and seemed concerned. We told them why we had not shown up the first 2 nights. They said that dress slacks and a nice collared shirt were more than welcome any night, and insisted that we show up for all of the remaining nights, including the second formal night.

The dinning room staff made us feel like Royalty each of the remaining nights, including the second formal night.

On formal nights I have worn Black Tux, White Tux, Jacket and Tie, and dress slacks without a tie, and have always been most welcome.

I tend to dress up more when I use assigned dining because that is where I see the most formal dressing up involved, but there are some at our table on occasion that are not in formal attire, and it doesn't bother us at all.

Do you have to wear jackets and ties on formal nights or are you allowed to dine, in MDR, in casual wear (dress pants and button down shirts) ? Please keep your opinions to yourself and just answer the question. Not looking to hurt feelings just get answers.

Thank you all.

Here are the facts....the link is right on Royal's opening page....unless, of course, you're looking for the entertainment value in starting yet another "dress code" thread....:D

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

The truth to the formal wear question is that RCI do not care what you wear on formal night. Yes they do offer suggestions to help those cruisers who want a little help deciding what to wear, but in the end it is the cruiser who decides what he or she would like to wear. It is ONLY the cruisers who do not want to let go of yesteryear that complain about what OTHERS are wearing. I have said before, I much rather have a table guest who is a joy to talk with than one who cannot carry a converstion but feels that their formal wear sets them apart from me. JMO

Good points. One other fact to keep in mind: Formal night is in reality a theme night where the choice to participate is optional, as evidenced by RCI's lenient attitude toward any perceived dress code. Not to be overlooked is that those who do dress formally have the opportunity to purchase "professional photos" (at a price, of course). :D

Edited by CruiseTobey

OP, do NOT listen to the fashion police around here. You do NOT have to go to the Windjammer on formal night if you dont have formal clothing.

In fact, I challenge you to tell your waiter during your first night on board, when you go to the MDR, that you do not have formal clothing so you will not be coming to dinner on formal nights. They will tell you EXACTLY what many others here have said and ask you to please come anyway.

This is NOT an opinion I just gave you. Only a FACT :) What you have listed as what you will wear will be just fine on ANY night in the MDR!

Edited by ryano

Recently on Freedom, at the Captain's talk at the promenade, it was stated that with the exception of swimwear and the like, RCI cannot stop people going into the main dining room in casual attire. "They have paid their money to cruise same as everyone else, we have to think of our shareholders." Walking in on a formal night a man in line in front of us had t -shirt, long basketball shorts & sneakers. He was spoken to at the door but not stopped. Funny thing was he was at a table near us, sat right next to a guy who had a gone the full 9 yards with a fantastic tux and all the works.

We see lots of people dressed in tuxes and long gowns eating in the Windjammer. We guess they like dressing up for the free cocktails in the Diamond/Concierge Lounges...

Or they could have late seating and just wanted to have something to nibble to hold them over. Maybe they wanted to have formal portraits taken. Lots of possibilities other than what you've mentioned. :)

Thank you all. We are taking our 7 Grand Children, ages 1 to 12 years, on the Oasis and wanted to make sure we didn't need suits for them.

For formal nights on the Rhapsody, I dressed up but my kids are not comfortable in formal wear so my teen son wore long pants with a belt and a collared shirt. My teen daughter wore a "nice" plain top with sleeves and plain long black pants. The MDR staff will not expect your grandchildren to be wearing suits or ties.

Edited by aussielozzie18

OP, do NOT listen to the fashion police around here. You do NOT have to go to the Windjammer on formal night if you dont have formal clothing.

In fact, I challenge you to tell your waiter during your first night on board, when you go to the MDR, that you do not have formal clothing so you will not be coming to dinner on formal nights. They will tell you EXACTLY what many others here have said and ask you to please come anyway.

This is NOT an opinion I just gave you. Only a FACT :) What you have listed as what you will wear will be just fine on ANY night in the MDR!

This exactly what happened to us. The waiter told us to come anyway. You will be perfectly fine for formal night. Enjoy!