Is Celebrity Changing Its Marketing Strategy

Jack Horner

I believe Celebrity's marketing tactic is actually working. It seems as if they are targeting the upper-middle class 30-and 40-something's with disposable income who stay at W Hotels or other modern upscale hotels. My partner and I fit this description and we have primarily converted over to Celebrity exclusively. We have sailed Crystal and HAL and were bored out of our minds. I don't think I've ever heard loud techno music blaring anywhere on an X ship. In fact on our most recent cruise, I heard a lot of uptempo music around the ship, a 1970s night, etc. I think cruise lines like X and Crystal realize that the clientele who have been their bread-and-butter in the past, are getting too old to travel, and they have started targeting a younger demographic - X with it's "Modern Luxury" tag and Crystal with it's shorter cruises and more port-intensive itineraries. I'm I not here to debate what "Modern Luxury" consists of, but I can say that those who are part of my demographic would not find Acapella groups a big draw, nor do we find loud, abrasive music appealing - and we are the up and coming demo with the money and desire to travel that the cruise lines know will keep them in business for many years. We have been very happy with Celebrity and only stray now for itinerary.

Michael

My friends and I (in our early to late 40's) are also now exclusively sailing Celebrity in this segment (we also sail Crystal and Cunard). Love the direction Celebrity has gone and sailing in Aqua or a sky suite is a great alternative to get away when we can't get on Crystal. Celebrity has also done some great alternative marketing in San Francisco and LA, geared towards the affluent working class here, it seems to be working as many colleagues who never thought of a cruise are now asking about these new Celebrity ships and what its like on board

Edited by avalon1025

Here are my thoughts, when you purchase a cruise they know your age. Does Celebrity, or any other cruise line use this information to their advantage? Do they update the activities and music based on range of ages on that particular cruise? They should. It would be wise of them to be flexible on their daily activities, music, etc.

I must admit that on my last cruise with Celebrity the daily activities were less than interesting to me but that is my opinion. The one thing I really enjoy was missing which was the Caribbean Steel drum music. I look forward to hearing some on an island cruise.

Very interesting idea, but I wonder how they would put this into effect on the ships. If 60 percent of their passengers are over 60, 30 percent of their passengers are in their fifties and 10 percent are 40 and younger (not actual figures, just using these percentages as an example). Which age group would they choose for the activities and music? If they choose those over 60, how do they keep they remaining 40 percent entertained on the ship, so they would not lose them as customers in the future?

Remember that for everyone that gets too old for cruising, someone younger ages into celebrity's demographics.

I think celebrity is going in the wrong direction...we'll actually if they did offer modern luxury, they would be ok....but the offering doesn't match the marketing...and that's a fatal flaw. If you want to have luxury, your food has to be good including pastries, you need some 'classy' music...a romantic piano bar, a string quartet, canapés served at night, good entertainment....and so on. In other words, celebrity grew due to offering an air of luxury when they offered all those things. Now they are cutting their quality and reducing their staffing, they have eliminated some of the special touches, but they are still trying to sell the celebrity we remember. If you want to sell modern luxury, give free drinks, free wine at dinner, serve edible canapés, bring back the chocolate or midnight buffets (don't the younger folks they are trying to attract stay up past midnight?).

The offering is being reduced (to save money) at the same time they are trying to sell an upscale offering. IMHO, That's not a path to success....but luxury is in the eye of the beholder and perhaps the new younger cruisers will decide there is enough modern luxury to be repeat cruisers...or they won't.

Edited by ghstudio

Very interesting idea, but I wonder how they would put this into effect on the ships. If 60 percent of their passengers are over 60, 30 percent of their passengers are in their fifties and 10 percent are 40 and younger (not actual figures, just using these percentages as an example). Which age group would they choose for the activities and music? If they choose those over 60, how do they keep they remaining 40 percent entertained on the ship, so they would not lose them as customers in the future?

I don't think the whole ship can be geared towards one segment of the cruise population and I dont think Celebrity is doing that. If you don't want loud music in the Martini Bar go to the sky lounge, or another bar. There are many options. Honestly Celebrity does not have to market to the retired, elder cruiser as for many price is the determining factor (not right or wrong), and most who sail 3 or 4 times a year, they shift between Princess, HAL, etc based on who has the best deal. Its the new passenger they need to market to and retaining them.

Here are my thoughts, when you purchase a cruise they know your age. Does Celebrity, or any other cruise line use this information to their advantage? Do they update the activities and music based on range of ages on that particular cruise? They should. It would be wise of them to be flexible on their daily activities, music, etc.

I must admit that on my last cruise with Celebrity the daily activities were less than interesting to me but that is my opinion. The one thing I really enjoy was missing which was the Caribbean Steel drum music. I look forward to hearing some on an island cruise.

While I think that your idea of basing activities on the age demographics for a given cruise to be intriguing, I haven't the slightest idea how Celebrity would achieve it. I'll be 66 on my upcoming cruise, so what activities do you suggest that Celebrity lay on for me, assuming I'm a match with the remaining passengers? What music do you think I like?

I don't think the whole ship can be geared towards one segment of the cruise population and I dont think Celebrity is doing that. If you don't want loud music in the Martini Bar go to the sky lounge, or another bar. There are many options. Honestly Celebrity does not have to market to the retired, elder cruiser as for many price is the determining factor (not right or wrong), and most who sail 3 or 4 times a year, they shift between Princess, HAL, etc based on who has the best deal. Its the new passenger they need to market to and retaining them.

I feel the same way, but many on here don't. Like I said, if there is classical or jazz in a location, I move to another where I enjoy the more up tempo music. Celebrity has to change with the times to attract those younger cruisers, unfortunately many want it to stay the way it was.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Remember that for everyone that gets too old for cruising, someone younger ages into celebrity's demographics.

I think celebrity is going in the wrong direction...we'll actually if they did offer modern luxury, they would be ok....but the offering doesn't match the marketing...and that's a fatal flaw. If you want to have luxury, your food has to be good including pastries, you need some 'classy' music...a romantic piano bar, a string quartet, canapés served at night, good entertainment....and so on. In other words, celebrity grew due to offering an air of luxury when they offered all those things. Now they are cutting their quality and reducing their staffing, they have eliminated some of the special touches, but they are still trying to sell the celebrity we remember. If you want to sell modern luxury, give free drinks, free wine at dinner, serve edible canapés, bring back the chocolate or midnight buffets (don't the younger folks they are trying to attract stay up past midnight?).

The offering is being reduced (to save money) at the same time they are trying to sell an upscale offering. IMHO, That's not a path to success....but luxury is in the eye of the beholder and perhaps the new younger cruisers will decide there is enough modern luxury to be repeat cruisers...or they won't.

You have a great point about the chocolate and midnight buffets. I would guess they were stopped (especially the midnight buffet) because of lack of attendance, which probably wasted a lot of food. Celebrity could try a smaller version of them and see if the younger cruisers would attend.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I am under a similar Modern Luxury concept, after 3 trans-atlantics on the Silhouette. I see trends begun that are not Karate Kid...no concentrate focus power...spread your strengths and please no one. We were preparing to increase our frequency of sailings because of the Solstice class experience, but it appears to have reversed their positive trends in some basics.

In my opinion, highly inappropriate response to certain issues about internet and phone service, or the lack therof; secondary entertainment

as singers, piano playing....nothing during dinner...boring.....etc....

Its all about the fun index. The modern luxury index has no memory.

Of all the reasons for sailing again on a cruise line from the marketing surveys I have seen is ..... How good a time did you have on prior sailings.

Food counts, soft sheets count, etc....etc.....etc. but its the good time index that seems to control the wallet.

So sayeth the late guru of sailing....Mr. Ted, Mickey's dad.

Modern luxury....pre-recorded electronic entertainment. Brought to you in

digital format. How cheap is cheap? Cheap is when the digitalized piano's

brought to us by Joseph Tushinsky of Marantz and Superscope, are turned off so we have nothing but ceiling music as no more lounge style entertainment is offered for our "fun" and pleasure.

Is Celebrity Changing Its Marketing Strategy – see trackref’s full review http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=247007

I Quote: At our Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle, I had a chance to ask the Silhouette Cruise Director about the A Capella group which was conspicuously missing from the Daily Program. She advised me and my family that there was a new Celebrity slogan, 'Modern Luxury', and that A Capella groups were being phased out across the fleet because they did not meet 'Modern Luxury'. She suggested that if we wanted A Capella we should sail Holland America.

After reading this review I dread to think what is meant by Celebrity’s definition of “Modern Luxury” I am under the impression that this was Carnival’s Billy whack with loud music piped into all the public lounges & bars together with incessant public announcements informing everyone that either the hairy legs or belly flop competition was about to start at the pool. From my perspective reading some of the reviews lately there seems to be a definite change in Celebrity’s strategy I am hoping this impression is wrong/mistaken – Funny but I have been thinking after our next TA in April with Celebrity we should try Holland America as flippantly suggested! :confused:

Avalon ~ this was NOT the case on our Reflection cruise last month. There was not another bar/lounge you could go to get away from loud music. It was everywhere, even during the day while sitting in Cafe al Bacio or walking through the shops. Even the music the staff was playing while waiting for trivia was very loud.

I actually enjoy all types of music except rap and heavy metal. I like upbeat stuff, even the beat of techno. What I can't stand is music so deafening loud that I can't talk to the people I'm sitting with to enjoy a drink. On Reflection last month, there was no way you could sit in Cellar Masters and enjoy wine and conversation. The music from both the atrium and the Martini bar at alternate times was so loud. The pool deck music and Sky were also over the top loud. So for me, more than the type of music being played, it's the decibel level.

I chuckle at the "Modern Luxury" tag line. Show me where overly loud music is classified as "luxurious." I find it very funny that they come up with these marketing terms that really mean nothing as my definition of modern luxury likely differs quite a bit from other folks.

Bottom line is that is all comes down to money. They are going to try to do whatever they can to bring in more dollars to the bottom line. When that doesn't work, they will change it again.

Host Anne I read your review earlier and I am quite concerned for my upcoming Reflection cruise.......we have enjoyed Celebrities amenities and have invited our best mates from Australia to join us........we are not old.......well I'm 50 some might disagree...:)...but I am a very vibrant and alive 50 and love to have fun...........however....I have enjoyed the "modern luxury" I have seen in the past......if I want loud music I go to the disco.....I do not want LOUD "canned" music piped throughout the ship........I LOVE listening to steel drum music......not that any cruise line I have been on does that anymore........it's all party DJ music at the pool area.........but I will be very disappointed if we don't have the "laid back" vibe we have enjoyed with Celebrity.........maybe it is because they are giving away the "free" drink package.........which I confess I partake of.........I'm Australian....it's a given.....but while I like to PARTY....there are times and places for that..............Celebrity is RCCL's upline for a reason..............it's a class above and as mentioned earlier....everyone gets older so even when us old farts get to old to sail...our younger counterparts will be our age...etc...........I have loved Celebrity and their step up classier roll...........Carnival is way cheaper..........so if they want to go to that level....they need to drop their prices too..................just venting................sorry........

Just off the Reflection x-mas cruise, and the "mo-luxe" changes were certainly noticeable to me, and my next cruise will not be with Celebrity...

- I like to dance on cruise ships - in past have done some ballroom dancing pre-dinner in the foyer (and on some ships this was very crowded with many dancers), sometimes enjoy a nightime big-band night, take classes in cha cha or waltz. This ship had none of this at all. Zero chance to ballroom dance. The only dance classes were some line dance, to Lady Gaga or Katy Perry (which were everywhere! the party band, the acoustic duo, the a capella group - all of them were singing Lady Gaga/Katy Perry all cruise). The jazz band played some songs that were danceable, but in a bar without a dance floor.

- This was the first time I boarded a celebrity cruise ship and was not greeted with a glass of champagne; later read that one could go to certain designated areas where they were giving out drinks, but that is not the same, and while not a big thing, it was something that for me distinguised X and started the cruise off right

- While I enjoyed the "finalists at sea" with American Idol singers singing on board, it made the entertainment very one dimensional - mostly singing. Singing by these finalists. Singing by the production singers. Matinee show singing broadway songs. Another matinee show with a capella singers. Variety show first night with various singers. Finale show bringing together various singers. X-mas show with singers singing x-mas songs. Etc. I think 8 out of 10 shows on the cruise were centered around singing. Some variety would be nice!

From my observations, I got the impression X is now focusing their marketing on childless customers in the late 30s / 40s who enjoy sitting at the bar drinking and listening to Lady Gaga / Katy Perry. That isn't me, so I need to look elsewhere.

I believe Celebrity's marketing tactic is actually working. It seems as if they are targeting the upper-middle class 30-and 40-something's with disposable income who stay at W Hotels or other modern upscale hotels. My partner and I fit this description and we have primarily converted over to Celebrity exclusively. We have sailed Crystal and HAL and were bored out of our minds. I don't think I've ever heard loud techno music blaring anywhere on an X ship. In fact on our most recent cruise, I heard a lot of uptempo music around the ship, a 1970s night, etc. I think cruise lines like X and Crystal realize that the clientele who have been their bread-and-butter in the past, are getting too old to travel, and they have started targeting a younger demographic - X with it's "Modern Luxury" tag and Crystal with it's shorter cruises and more port-intensive itineraries. I'm I not here to debate what "Modern Luxury" consists of, but I can say that those who are part of my demographic would not find Acapella groups a big draw, nor do we find loud, abrasive music appealing - and we are the up and coming demo with the money and desire to travel that the cruise lines know will keep them in business for many years. We have been very happy with Celebrity and only stray now for itinerary.

Michael

I'm have to agree with Michael that it is working. The Acapella singer are nice to walk by. I'm not going to stop and listen. They could bring the music up to the 1980-2010 period. We tend to do cruises that are 12 to 14 days. On our last Southern Caribbean on Connie. I dont know the average age. IMO some of the people by the pool in the under cover area were sleeping: 1) Because they were partying all night? 2) Or they dont remember where their rooms are? We are taking the same cruise again, but this time on Eclipse in March. We will see what is in store for us. Richard

The Ensemble bar was very sedate. The music in the Martini bar was not loud at all. There was music down in the entertainment lobby but again not loud. Guess it depends on what one would consider loud. We had no problems carrying on a conversation between us but then having people on the other side of the room hearing our conversation was not important. ;)

l the same way' date=' but many on here don't. Like I said, if there is classical or jazz in a location, I move to another where I enjoy the more up tempo music. Celebrity has to change with the times to attract those younger cruisers, unfortunately many want it to stay the way it was.[/quote']

And agree!

Edited by cruisingator2

You do realize Richard that it could have been their meds....knocking them out.......:D

I'm so looking forward to good times on Reflection in March.......we love the casino at night.....the shows we often miss.........just because we can...but I do enjoy the A Capella groups...but I also don't stay forever....just listen and walk on by after a bit.......I do NOT LIKE RAP and never have..........I think even if I was young I wouldn't..............none of my children 32, 30 and 28 don't like it either..........so there...............I hope we don't have to listen to that I really don't........

I too miss the steel drum band on the pool deck on our last Caribbean cruise.

I too think Celebrity is on the right track. I am 37 and my partner 47 and we will be on our 3rd celebrity cruise in 7 weeks on Reflection. We love everything about the vibe on Celebrity. The changes they are making are definately MODERN luxury. For those of you who don't get it go on a travel sight and search any major city in the country (LA,Miami,New York, Las Vegas, Chicago). You will find the most in demand hotels with the highest average nightly rate all look and feel like what Celebrity is evolving into. See W Hotel, Dream Hotels, The Standard, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas just to name a few. They all have DJs in the lobby a hopping pool scene and not an acapela group or canapé in sight.

We have been with Celebrity cruising for many years ,from Mercury to the present & have seen changes ;but ,more changes since Michael Bailey has taken on the CEO position .

Seems to us that the 123 promotions are making money both in top line sales & bottom line profits for RCL . Reason is that Celebrirty has increased their cruise prices ,far more than the cost give away of their promotions. :rolleyes:

with the above in mind we now wait until final payment to book their cruises to get the better price discounts :D

We will still sail with Celebrity & are only 60 points from Elite + .The perks are great & their itineraries have improved :D:p:D

Avalon ~ this was NOT the case on our Reflection cruise last month. There was not another bar/lounge you could go to get away from loud music. It was everywhere, even during the day while sitting in Cafe al Bacio or walking through the shops. Even the music the staff was playing while waiting for trivia was very loud.

I actually enjoy all types of music except rap and heavy metal. I like upbeat stuff, even the beat of techno. What I can't stand is music so deafening loud that I can't talk to the people I'm sitting with to enjoy a drink. On Reflection last month, there was no way you could sit in Cellar Masters and enjoy wine and conversation. The music from both the atrium and the Martini bar at alternate times was so loud. The pool deck music and Sky were also over the top loud. So for me, more than the type of music being played, it's the decibel level.

I chuckle at the "Modern Luxury" tag line. Show me where overly loud music is classified as "luxurious." I find it very funny that they come up with these marketing terms that really mean nothing as my definition of modern luxury likely differs quite a bit from other folks.

Bottom line is that is all comes down to money. They are going to try to do whatever they can to bring in more dollars to the bottom line. When that doesn't work, they will change it again.

Although I don't doubt there was loud music in parts of the ship, I read so much about loud music prior to sailing both Eclipse and Equinox this year, when on board I could find none of it, except perhaps the martini bar. I'm don't like the main pool area and have always found some peace and quiet on solstice deck or sunset bar areas. Something for everyone.

But those of us who like, for example, the accapella groups are now on the older side of Celebrity's target market. They are not changing their target of 40-55, but many here on the Celbrity boards are the 40-55 year olds of years ago. In other words, it is US that that are outgrowing celebrity's target group.

We went on our first Celebrity cruise this summer 12 day Baltic cruise. Before I booked the cruise I asked about the ages as we would be Roger and I (50, 51) AND my twins 16 and oldest 20 and my mom 74. She advised me that Celebrity was trying to go after the younger baby boomers (my age) who have older kids and disposable income. On the Constellation this summer the age groups was a lot of people my age with a good number of older kids - very few young kids. We went on the Silhouette for Xmas and while there was a good number of younger kids, again I found the crowd to our liking and also my boys loves it again.

I really did not notice the loud music except one day in the atrium when people were playing ping pong. AND it was sort of funny as EVERYONE - even the young ones playing pig pong were all complaining about how loud the music that shortly thereafter they turned it down.

We booked another cruise for next New Years and most likely will do one this summer. We really enjoy Celebrity and feel the are marketing or going after people like use - meaning my older teens, my young adult, myself and my mom. There was something for all of us

Sharon

I too think Celebrity is on the right track. I am 37 and my partner 47 and we will be on our 3rd celebrity cruise in 7 weeks on Reflection. We love everything about the vibe on Celebrity. The changes they are making are definately MODERN luxury. For those of you who don't get it go on a travel sight and search any major city in the country (LA,Miami,New York, Las Vegas, Chicago). You will find the most in demand hotels with the highest average nightly rate all look and feel like what Celebrity is evolving into. See W Hotel, Dream Hotels, The Standard, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas just to name a few. They all have DJs in the lobby a hopping pool scene and not an acapela group or canapé in sight.

+1 I'm 41 and my while my partner is a bit older, you named all the things and places I love. I spend 5 days every year at the Cosmopolitan, another 5 (at least) in Miami, trips to NY, LA, etc and many on Celebrity. We've been on a few ships with different itinieraries and vibes and the only one we had a hard time with was the one with all the kids running around :/

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Totally agree. There has to be a balance. Celebrity has to market to us older cruisers, who many have cruised with them for years, while marketing to the younger customers. Celebrity could not stay in business if they just appealed to one age demographic. There has to be varied entertainment around the ship, so that all passengers get to enjoy something that they like. There will be some things some people like and some they dislike, but they have to remember that they are not the only passengers onboard. Unfortunately, most people don't like change, but there has to be change for a business to survive and grow.

Excellent post!! We are D+ in RCCL and for many years avoided Celebrity thinking it was not for us. Now, we don't want to go back!! Even our teenage children prefer Celebrity now!! I don't know if we are the type of travelers they want to attract. We are on our late 40's, we travel in suites and with our children. We like to go to specialty restaurants and my husband loves a good wine with our food. I love to shop and go to the spa, and we are also good tippers. Cruising on the Reflection next summer with friends and looking forward to having a great time.:):)

I didn't take it that they thought people in their 40's were more preferable to families or older cruisers, I take it that they want to increase their consumer base. They have a good amount of passengers in their 50's, 60's and 70+ and they want to expand their product to those younger. If they didn't, when those of a certain age stop cruising or can't cruise anymore, the company would not be able to fill their ships. I don't think Celebrity will ever become a "party" line; just a line that has a wide variety of ages cruising on them. I've never seen any pool games that are usually seen on other lines on Celebrity. I did see Zumba classes at the pool, which had passengers of all ages participating.

I'm one of the "older" cruisers (not quite on Medicare, but close) and I enjoy the loud music, I enjoy more up-to-date music and a more lively experience and I would call all of this modern luxury from my perspective. I don't enjoy classical, jazz or, what I call, sleepy music, but I do understand that many do. I wouldn't expect that Celebrity should stop playing those musical genres for me or others like me, I'll just move to another location on the ship so that those that enjoy those types of music can enjoy them. I would expect the same for those that don't like the kind of music I enjoy. Instead of people thinking that their way is the only way, how about compromising and let everyone enjoy their cruise. Celebrity should have different music in the various venus throughout the ship....in other words, something for everyone.

When you try to be something for everyone you loose your identity and become nothing special for anyone.

When you try to be something for everyone you loose your identity and become nothing special for anyone.

I don't think Celebrity would lose their identity if they played techno in the martini bar, jazz in the Cellar Masters, pop by the pool and classical in the atrium, as an example. I think it would only enhance their identity, instead of turning off cruisers because they are only playing one type of music, that obviously tickes off some customers. And something this little, would make it special for everyone, because they would all have a place to go to enjoy music.

Edited by NLH Arizona