Oh no

smeck

An interesting story never heard this one before. Friends of ours were flying to Fort Lauderdale this morning to cruise on the Liberty. When the driver picked them up they told him to go to the Port of Miami. When they arrived in Miami and found no Liberty they realized their error. Needless to say lots of angst and nerves, but they made with a hour to spare. I can't imagine the look of panic when they realized they ended up at the wrong port. When they texted they made it, I texted have A DOD and make it a double, what a way to start a vacation.

Edited by smeck

An interesting story never heard this one before. Friends of ours were flying to Fort Lauderdale this morning to cruise on the Liberty. When the driver picked them up they told him to go to the Port of Miami. When they arrived in Miami and found no Liberty they realized their error. Needless to say lots of angst and nerves, but they made with a hour to spare. I can't imagine the look of panic when they realized they ended up at the wrong port. When they texted they made it, I texted have A DOD and make it a double, what a way to start a vacation.

:eek: I cannot imagine how they felt. Hopefully something to laugh about in the future:D

Edited by Reader0108598

Liberty did go out of Miami in the beginning. We always think about the planes being late, etc. Not many times you hear this one! We print out so much and have a folder with directions, maps, etc. We have been too many places the taxi drivers didn't know where they were going! :eek: Glad they made it, even at an unexpected cost! ;)

That had to be scary thinking once they realized their mistake that they could miss their ship in FLL. :eek: But glad it all worked out.

I know someone who didn't know that their air tickets were for the day before the cruise, when they got to the airport, they told them it was yesterday. They missed their cruise because of the time difference between AZ and FL. That was sure a hard lesson learned for them.

Nothing like adding insult to injury I bet it was an expensive taxi ride too!

:eek:

I'm sure they gladly paid it. I'm sure they gave the driver a little extra incentive if you get my drift.

We almost missed our honeymoon flight to Amsterdam 11 years ago because we went to the wrong airport! We almost always flew out of Newark and so just went there on autopilot...only to realize a few minutes after getting out of the cab that we should be at JFK. Thank goodness we had arrived *very* early for the flight--it is no small feat getting from Newark to JFK. We got there about half an hour before the flight and fortunately we had upgraded to business class using points--I really don't think they would have let us on if we were in our usual cattle class. One guy behind the checkin counter was saying no, but the woman working with him looked at him like he was murdering our puppy and whizzed us through. We didn't even bother putting our shoes back on after getting through security--just held onto them and ran in our stocking feet to the gate. We collapsed in our seats and the flight attendant soothingly said, "You're on vacation now," and handed us each a glass of champagne.

Needless to say we've double and triple checked what airport we're leaving from on every flight since then!

Oh my! That's a heart stopper! I find it easy to fuddle the details, so I always check before booking air - is the airport right, double check the dates of the flight with the actual RCI invoice; but I never thought about the port! :eek:

Luckily, that's an easy cab ride in their case; but I bet they are happy to be onboard, Smeck!

Wow! You;d think since they flew in to FLL, they would have known that's where the port was. Did they think they were going to FLL and it just took a long time? Wow!

In all fairness I left out an Important fact. The day before they left they had to put down their dog they were a mess.

Oh my! That's a heart stopper! I find it easy to fuddle the details, so I always check before booking air - is the airport right, double check the dates of the flight with the actual RCI invoice; but I never thought about the port! :eek:

Luckily, that's an easy cab ride in their case; but I bet they are happy to be onboard, Smeck!

Lucky you I see your cruising in a month! I look forward to another great review!

Edited by smeck

In all fairness I left out an Important fact. The day before they left they had to put down their dog they were a mess.

:( Poor things, we had to do that same thing before we left for a house hunting trip in another state. Coming home was very difficult, still miss my sweet girl. :(

Cruise lines have ships with the same or similar names so you have to be specific. I cruised on the Carnival Liberty out of Miami a couple of weeks ago. Liberty of the Seas sails out of Fort Lauderdale. :o

Cruise lines have ships with the same or similar names so you have to be specific. I cruised on the Carnival Liberty out of Miami a couple of weeks ago. Liberty of the Seas sails out of Fort Lauderdale. :o

You are absolutely correct dude, it was a Royal ship.

So sad --- when I had to put Jasper (my cat in my avatar) down (renal failure at 14 years) it was about 2 weeks before a cruise and can say I was still out-of-sorts; forgetting things; always feeling like I was forgetting something so can relate. Hope they enjoyed their cruise.

Edited by jaspercat

So sad --- when I had to put Jasper (my cat in my avatar) down it was about 2 weeks before a cruise and can say I was still out-of-sorts; forgetting things; always feeling like I was forgetting something so can relate. Hope they enjoyed their cruise.

I hope, will find out in five days.

I've had to put down several dogs who were my family. I guess for a while I went around doing a bunch of "stupid stuff" as I was grieving and not my sharpest. I was lucky if I got any sleep and for a while was just trying to get through the days.

A similar thing happened to this family in front of me at the American Airlines ticket counter at DFW airport. They were trying to get to Ontario Canada for a brother's wedding. The woman purchased four tickets online and assumed (wrongly) ONT, which is Ontario International, meant Ontario Canada. (She didn't even know there was an Ontario California, let alone that there was an International airport there). They were on the plane when they heard "welcome to flight **** to Ontario CALIFORNIA!!" Luckily they were able to get off the plane as the doors hadn't closed. They were beside themselves as they stood in line trying to get tickets to Ontario, Canada.

I told them that years from now they were going to laugh like crazy about it. I guess it was stupid but most of us do make mistakes from time to time. I made one back in 1998. :D