Our Christmas and New year's cruise on the Oosterdam

i am definitely an inside guy when cruising apart from the upper decks and bars so I really appreciate tasteful and interesting decor. These images tend to lend themselves to a 70's type colour scheme, which while bold is still attractive as a theme across the ship. The decor is only one part of the atmosphere, people, music, lighting, etc, is what really gives the ship it's life.:D

I so agree. The promenade for me is where I do my morning walk. The rest of the time I am near the pools or off in one of the venues participating in activities.

Every time I got out of a lift and saw one of those hideous chairs I cringed. Still enjoyed the cruise but disliked the decor:eek:

We spent most of our days around the mid ship pool on the Lido deck. This has a roof that can be closed.

As soon as one drop of rain fell they closed the roof. Now if you have ever cruised the South Pacific you would know this is not necessary. It is so humid that a few drops of rain is refreshing. :D

Anyway since most of their cruising is done in Alaska we understood their roof closing. ;)

So here are some photos of the pool we lived at!

DSCN0144_zps9037a919.jpg

It was extremely strange to look at penguin statues as you sweated in the sun!

DSC00176_zps549acf45.jpg

These deck chairs were so comfortable and we never had a problem finding some to sit on (big bonus points for this cruise!)

DSCN0152_zps02e1342b.jpg

DSCN0145_zpseddc45eb.jpg

just warning you now that we didn't do much at the ports.

We cruise for the ship and on board activities. We really are not interested in the ports and never ever do tours. We prefer to go into the towns, find the shops and talk to the people.

So any port photos I have (which are limited) are usually taken from the ship. :o

Our first stop was Lifou. This was our third time there and being catholic we always climb up to the church, say a prayer, climb down and swim at the beach.

Here are some photos:

DSC00164_zpsd1ad7bf3.jpg

DSC00162_zpsfc3391c2.jpg

DSC00161_zps16c86514.jpg

DSC00158_zps06c276bf.jpg

Thank you for continuing your thread.

The view from up at the church of "Notre Dame" is well worth the walk up.

Yes it is lovely there, we (my Brother and I) had an adventure there years ago when we took our kids (2 x 12 & 15 yo), and started to swim around the island. We found a lovely bay and had some coconuts straight from the tree.:D

Thanks for all the photos etc Tompaddyelle We are sailing on Oosterdam on 3rd March so it is a a great insight into the ship........one thing though.......do you think you will be finished posting all the photos by then:D:D:D

Cheers

So one of our favourite parts of the ship were the 4 glass lifts.

For some reason people didn't like to use these(maybe they were scared of heights). I thought they were magnificent.

Anyway here are some photos of the view from the lifts.

DSC00136_zps77945b12.jpg

DSC00135_zps071a8e97.jpg

DSC00109_zpsfd15d266.jpg

Thanks for all the photos etc Tompaddyelle We are sailing on Oosterdam on 3rd March so it is a a great insight into the ship........one thing though.......do you think you will be finished posting all the photos by then:D:D:D

I will do my best!

Work gets in the way :rolleyes:

Ok so next I will show you some of the things and places around the ship.

Below are the ugliest bar stools I have ever seen. These were by the Lido pool. Oh and they were cold so I cannot imagine sitting them on a cruise to Alaska :eek:

DSC00213_zps070034be.jpg

Christmas decorations in the Atrium

DSC00120_zps4c30a6ff.jpg

DSC00121_zps7197bf42.jpg

DSC00122_zps7396a692.jpg

I will do my best!

Work gets in the way :rolleyes:

Work????? One must get their priorities in order:D:D:D

Kate just a question....What time did you check in for your cruise? we just got our Edocs today for our cruise in March and check in time is 1pm Is that the norm? I am normally going back for seconds at the buffet by then:eek:

Work????? One must get their priorities in order:D:D:D

Kate just a question....What time did you check in for your cruise? we just got our Edocs today for our cruise in March and check in time is 1pm Is that the norm? I am normally going back for seconds at the buffet by then:eek:

When we cruised we were on by 11.30am, we arrived at the OPT at approx. 11am. No problem at all. We were able to go straight to our cabin and overload our hand luggage and then head to the dining room for a relaxing lunch. When you have cruised with HAL previously you are able to dine in the dining room on the first day, and get away from the crowds in the lido.

Edited by Australian family