Our Christmas and New year's cruise on the Oosterdam

We have just returned from our 14 day cruise on the Oosterdam.

Before going on our cruise I found it very difficult to find any first hand information on this ship so I thought that I would do a day by day (well as close as I can) review of our cruise.

We were a group of 8 on this cruise consisting of myself (46), DH (45), DS (20), DD(16), DS (12), DS friend (19), my mother (81) and my niece (25). As you can see we covered all ages :)

This was the 3rd cruise for my DH and myself, the 2nd for my children and the first for my mum and niece.

Will start my review tomorrow when I figure our how to post photos :o

Before going on our cruise I found it very difficult to find any first hand information on this ship so I thought that I would do a day by day (well as close as I can) review of our cruise.

We were a group of 8 on this cruise consisting of myself (46), DH (45), DS (20), DD(16), DS (12), DS friend (19), my mother (81) and my niece (25). As you can see we covered all ages :)

This was the 3rd cruise for my DH and myself, the 2nd for my children and the first for my mum and niece.

YAYYYYYY :) love pics & love reviews. Bring it on please.

:p & don't forget to mention some bogans, whingers (any nationality is fine ;)) & please include a tipping / gratuity story. That should keep us all enthralled! Go easy on the truth and liberal with embellishments !!!:D HA HA HA

I look forward to reading of your adventures. :D

I look forward to reading your review, because, as you say, there isn't much local information available on cruises on this ship. Your large family group certainly covered all ages.

If you can't figure out how to post photos, you could just do a review, if you wish.

I hope they don't say that they are never going with Holland America again!! ???

It's a risk so if it's bad I'll just look at the photos.Would you not go on a cruise because of a bad review or judge it yourself.

i wouldnt worry about a review, what one person doesnt like you might enjoy....you have to try it out for yourself

when Carnival Spirit came out here some people didnt like it and a lot love the ship

i wouldnt worry about a review, what one person doesnt like you might enjoy....you have to try it out for yourself

when Carnival Spirit came out here some people didnt like it and a lot love the ship

That's what I'm saying.I'm interested because I will be cruising on her shortly.I love reading the reviews good or bad and I particularly enjoy seeing photos of the ship.:)

I've been on the Ooosterdam twice and will be again on the March 30 cruise. Loved the ship. Was it perfect - no, but what cruise ship is - but loved the staff, unlimited laundry, the promenade deck and the whole ambience of the ship. Not one for those that are adrenalin junkies and paaaaartying but for my DH and I, perfect.

Looking forward to the Century which seems to have a similar ambience from what we see on line but a little trepidatious of our Solstice trip, but one must expand one's horizons :D

We have had 3 cruises with HAL, Amsterdam 2003, Statendam 2005 ,and then a B2B on Rotterdam in 2008. Just on a 100 days in total with HAL , so I will look forward to hearing about what they are like these days.

If you are wanting to post photos you will need to upload them to a hosting site such as Photobucket, TinyPic etc , ...theres heaps more on google ...and they are free. They will give you a URL for posting on message boards..the URl will have .......

If you waant to test posting photos there is a section on CC where you can do some trial posting if you wish.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

We have had 3 cruises with HAL, Amsterdam 2003, Statendam 2005 ,and then a B2B on Rotterdam in 2008. Just on a 100 days in total with HAL , so I will look forward to hearing about what they are like these days.

If you are wanting to post photos you will need to upload them to a hosting site such as Photobucket, TinyPic etc , ...theres heaps more on google ...and they are free. They will give you a URL for posting on message boards..the URl will have .......

If you waant to test posting photos there is a section on CC where you can do some trial posting if you wish.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

So that is the secret, I have been posting thumbnails.:D

I've been on the Ooosterdam twice and will be again on the March 30 cruise. Loved the ship. Was it perfect - no, but what cruise ship is - but loved the staff, unlimited laundry, the promenade deck and the whole ambience of the ship. Not one for those that are adrenalin junkies and paaaaartying but for my DH and I, perfect.

Looking forward to the Century which seems to have a similar ambience from what we see on line but a little trepidatious of our Solstice trip, but one must expand one's horizons :D

The Solstice is a lovely ship, you will love her as well.:D

So that is the secret, I have been posting thumbnails.:D

Sure is, like this!

grp2182_zpsbecd3b41.jpg

Don't forget to resize to 800/600 or you need to walk across the room to view them.:D

Alaska BTW.

Edited by yatchet

Elise

I am interested in your good reference to the Promenade Deck (Do you mean the outside Promenade?) . I am an aficionado of Promenade Decks and consider them to be one of the prime determinants of what makes a good cruiseship :) http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/thats-not-promenade.html

What did you like about Oosterdam's Promenade deck?

Barry

Sunday the 22nd December rolled around and let me say we had a very excited household. :p

We had booked a mini van to take all of us to White Bay.

DSC00028_zpsaaeb90b3.jpg

When we got to the port this is what we saw.

DSC00033_zps8cd66998.jpg

we quickly got our bags out and some of headed off

DSC00032_zpsfc5f2091.jpg

We took awhile to work out how to carry the cartons of soft drink and wine brought with us.

DSC00031_zpse1bc56ef.jpg

We were lucky to be on the last sailing that allowed unlimited wine to be brought on board.

We just stuck a luggage tag to the carton and it was delivered to our room.

Brilliant!

So here are some of the gang I travelled with

DSCN0124_zpsdf522067.jpg

Dropping off our luggage was very easy. It was right in front before you entered the terminal.

DSCN0126_zpsabcfa756.jpg

DSCN0125_zps8c57d2c8.jpg

We then went inside joined the queue and were quickly on board our home for the next fourteen days.

A very elegant ship I think.

DSC00362_zps79c91474.jpg

Once on board we headed for our cabins. We booked three interior cabins on deck 5.

We chose to do this as we are never in our cabins unless we are changing clothes or sleeping. :)

We found the cabins to be small but well set out. We weren't expecting anything more than we got so we were very happy.

The beds on the Oosterdam were sublime! They were so comfortable and I slept extremely well every night.

Here are a few (albeit poor) photos of one of our cabins.

DSC00037_zpscb602fc8.jpg

DSC00038_zps62c0e1ac.jpg

DSC00039_zps329b668b.jpg

DSC00040_zpsa2f45605.jpg