Does everyone upgrade to the Premium package?

meatloafsfan

I recently booked the Celebrity Equinox for November 2014 - and of course, we received the 1-2-3 go and we selected the beverage package.

As I read reviews on various Celebrity ships where people have the drink package, they all start off with, "Once onboard, we upgraded to the Premium drink package...."

Is this really common? Will we have to upgrade in order to get "good" drinks? (I'm not talking about top shelf alcohol or drinks from the molecular or Martini bars - I know we would need to upgrade for those) but just various foo-foo mixed drinks around the ship.

I've tried looking at drink menus on various sites, I haven't found the prices for a lot of frozen drinks (like Pina Colada, miami vice, BBCs, etc) and it seems like of the drinks I have seen, most of them come in at $8.50 or $9 - there seems to be only 2 drinks out of 8 on a page that fall into the $8 and under range.

We don't drink beer and wine is isn't a favourite (very rare - might have 1 glass the entire cruise) but I do like to try various mixed drinks (anything interesting) so I'm wondering if there is a need to upgrade to the premium package or if there's enough selection using only the classic package?

thanks.

We always either get the Premium or upgrade to it. The main reason is if we want something more expensive, you only pay the different between the Premium limit and the cost of the drink. With the classic package, if it's over, you have to pay the entire cost of the drink.

What I love about Celebrity is both in a cabin don't have to have the same package. I suggest you go on the ship with your classic pkg and if it doesn't suit you upgrade at that time. I upgraded to premium because I like martinis and wine, but my dh and sister in law were quite happy with the classic pkg because they mostly drank mixed drinks like margaritas, pina colada, etc. and didn't need the top shelf liquor.

For us it would depend on whether we are on a S class or M class ship. If S then we would automatically upgrade to the Premium in order to be able to drink at Molecular Bar. If on the M class my only concern is to get a better Single Malt Scotch than Glenfiddich. Depending on the length of the cruise I could drink that, or just have other drinks besides scotch.

We did a B2B on a M Class where the first 5 days we had the Premium package and the second 5 days the Classic. For the most part we didn't miss the Premium. You do have much less choice for wines but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Edited by ORV

No, not everyone upgrades to the premium package. We are quite content to go with the classic package. We aren't big on bars to start with, so we don't worry about not being able to drink in the Molecular Bar or the other limitations of the classic package.

Edited by Fouremco

Does everyone upgrade to the Premium package?

...Will we have to upgrade in order to get "good" drinks? (I'm not talking about top shelf alcohol or drinks from the molecular or Martini bars - I know we would need to upgrade for those) but just various foo-foo mixed drinks around the ship.,,,

...I'm wondering if there is a need to upgrade to the premium package or if there's enough selection using only the classic package?...

Not everyone upgrades - many people stick with the classic package.

You will not have to upgrade to get "good drinks" as long as you are not defining "good" as the items you say you are not talking about.

The decision as to whether there is a need to upgrade is different for every person. Sounds like you'd be happy with the classic package.

Edited by Lsimon

No, not everyone upgrades to the premium package. We are quite content to go with the classic package. We aren't big on bars to start with, so we don't worry about not being able to drink in the Molecular Bar or the other limitations of the classic package.

We didn't upgrade for the same reasons. We are quite happy on a cruise without a package, but since it was included on our Eclipse TA, we enjoyed wine with dinner (we are not wine experts so were quite satisfied with the selection), a cocktail before dinner and many coffees through out the day. DH did say that if the weather had been hot he might have enjoyed a wider variety of beer but it wasn't an issue on this cruise.

Not a big fan of martini's although I love the martini bar. Have had the Classic package and have found plenty of drinks that qualify, piña colada's, margarita's,

Bloody Mary's, Baileys to mention a few.

Agree with others go with the Classic and if it doesn't cover the drinks you like upgrade on board.

Below is a very up-to-date listing of all the beverage prices so you can get a sense of what will be included! (Much thanks to other posters who were kind enough to direct me to this.) You can see that quite a few interesting mixed drinks are included in the Classic package - those that include "top shelf" tend to be slightly higher.

Enjoy!

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm

We haven't found the need to upgrade, the selection suited us just fine. We received great service the last time at all the bars and the wine steward we had was fabulous.this was on the Silouhette, same trip as the up coming cruise, and already booked the same for next year.

We hqve upgraded on our last 4 cruises and our last cruise was for 14 days. The next cruise is also for 14 days but we plan on sticking with the classic. The reason is because we tried all of the drinks in the Molecular bar and Martini bar. They are very nice but we don't need to spend the extra $300 plus that it cost us.

We feel that we sailed many times without a package anda would have been happy to have any beer, wine and a few well drinks included. With the classic there are still plenty of choices.

.🍸🍻💨🇺🇸

Hi Meatloafsfan,

We won't be upgrading.

Work out how much it will cost to upgrade, then how many drinks you will manage to drink, and the cost of them, that are not included in the Classic package, that will tell you if it is worth it.

I may just want 2 or 3 that aren't included so it isn't worth it to me.

Do remember you can upgrade at any time during the cruise up to the day before the last full day.

Have fun drinking whichever package you have.

Cheers, h.

Below is a very up-to-date listing of all the beverage prices so you can get a sense of what will be included! (Much thanks to other posters who were kind enough to direct me to this.) You can see that quite a few interesting mixed drinks are included in the Classic package - those that include "top shelf" tend to be slightly higher.

Enjoy!

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm

I looked at this link; thank you for posting it. Wondering now if the smoothies in the AquaSpa Cafe are included in the beverage package. Does anyone know?

there are 2 martinis at the martini bar you can have on the classic- the appletini and the cosmo

We also found that if you asked at the bars if they could make you a margarita within the classic, they used cheaper brand tequila etc to make you one

My husband upgrades automatically as he loves his coffees and san peligrino water so it is worth it to him. I didn't plan to upgrade but on day 3 when I realised that the martini I like was the same price as a full day upgrade, I did the upgrade so I could have 2!

It appears that the prices drinks have increased and on the Classic Pkgi it looks like Celebrity raised the "up to" beer prices to $6. Can anyone tell me if the Wine and Spirits "up to " prices was raised to $9 also ?