Double Booked! Advice, Please!

AlexDouglass

Okay - I need the assembled wisom of CC: I was just informed that our stateroom for a shortly upcoming cruise - our first with Celebrity - was double booked. As a result, we've been offered an alternate cabin - a downgrade - with nothing else but a pro forma apology.

Both we and the other party booked direct online, and their system reportedly shows the others a few hours earlier.

As I specifically tracked and chose this cabin, and was looking forward to the perks/amenities associated with it, this is is definitely not a pleasant surprise.

So far, the only way forward presented was the phone rep agreeing to speak with the other party and see if they'd move. Any thoughts you all might have on how to secure a more satisfactory resolution will be much appreciated!

Oh - and to make it that much more annoying - this is our (delayed) honeymoon!

Edited by AlexDouglass

Wow - I can't believe they are not offering to UPgrade you to a nicer cabin. It was Celebrity's mistake (sounds like a website/IT problem - big surprise). Hopefully you get a more satisfactory resolution. Good luck and congratulations on your marriage.

What category cabin did you book and what category are they now offering?

As to the downgrade, what amount will they refund?

Reflection - Aqua Suite to Sky Suite, with no guarantee of Agua Suite perks carrying over ("we'll try"). No quote yet on refund while situation is still in progress.

I've checked the online availability for Sky Suites for the cruise, and those showing are in much less desirable areas (we were on the hump and so had no overhang).

I was really surprised by the flat, matter-of-fact, sorry-there's-nothing-we-can-do tone, especially because it's a mistake caused by their own booking system.

I said I looked forward to their call once they've spoken with the other party; in future conversations, should I automatically ask to speak to someone more senior? Any thoughts on what refund/other compensation might be appropriate?

Frankly, right now I'm so peeved that I'm thinking of cancelling outright, but with paid airfare and hotels at the port of departure, that doesn't really make sense.

Actually, they did offer you an upgrade to a suite which is a much larger cabin. Yes, suites do not automatically eat in Blu for dinner, only on an as available basis. Suite passengers, however, are invited to dine in blu for breakfast.

Some prefer the space of the suite (and pay more for it) and enjoy the MDR and specialty restaurants. Others save some money in a smaller cabin, but dine in Aqua.

The situation is unfortunate, but I think they have made a fair offer with an upgrade.

Sky Suites and Aqua Class Suites (not standard AQ) are the same size, actually, and as noted the ones apparently available are in worse places. We do look forward to Blu, but also and especially to the complimentary Persian Garden/Relaxation Room/Spa access (which they won't, at least at this point, guarantee).

Sky Suites and Aqua Class Suites (not standard AQ) are the same size, actually, and as noted the ones apparently available are in worse places. We do look forward to Blu, but also and especially to the complimentary Persian Garden/Relaxation Room/Spa access (which they won't, at least at this point, guarantee).

So you booked an Aqua SUITE and not an Aqua Class cabin? Then you're right, it is a downgrade. . .not acceptable. You are owed a sizeable refund.

Actually, they did offer you an upgrade to a suite which is a much larger cabin. Yes, suites do not automatically eat in Blu for dinner, only on an as available basis. Suite passengers, however, are invited to dine in blu for breakfast.

Some prefer the space of the suite (and pay more for it) and enjoy the MDR and specialty restaurants. Others save some money in a smaller cabin, but dine in Aqua.

The situation is unfortunate, but I think they have made a fair offer with an upgrade.

No AQ Suites and Sky Suites are same size so no upgrade...actually a downgrade considering you don't automatically get Blu or other AQ perks.

I would call and ask for a supervisor and I would explain all that you have here, including the "delayed honeymoon" issue and request an upgrade, NOT a downgrade....they are NOT handling this correctly at all. If no upgrade then they should at least award you some OBC so that you can go to Spec Rest at no charge.

Unless the other party is very naive, they'll have the same reaction as you and won't give up what is now their booking.

Think about what would be the minimum acceptable compromise by Celebrity at this point. Be clear in your own mind what you require before picking up the phone. Then, as suggested by others, call and ask for a supervisor. Make the point that it's their mistake, and tell them what you require at a minimum to fix it. I hope that it works out for you!

Okay - I need the assembled wisom of CC: I was just informed that our stateroom for a shortly upcoming cruise - our first with Celebrity - was double booked. As a result, we've been offered an alternate cabin - a downgrade - with nothing else but a pro forma apology.

Both we and the other party booked direct online, and their system reportedly shows the others a few hours earlier.

As I specifically tracked and chose this cabin, and was looking forward to the perks/amenities associated with it, this is is definitely not a pleasant surprise.

So far, the only way forward presented was the phone rep agreeing to speak with the other party and see if they'd move. Any thoughts you all might have on how to secure a more satisfactory resolution will be much appreciated!

Oh - and to make it that much more annoying - this is our (delayed) honeymoon!

I looked at the open cabins on your cruise and it would appear that what is opened is the S1 category and not S2, so I believe in fact that this is an upgrade. I am surprised that they did not mention that is was actual an upgrade. I can see why you might view it has a "downgrade", but technically I do not think that it is. It would appear that several aft corner S1s are open. I suggest you grab one of those. It will probably be nicer than the one you have. Perhaps you can ask for some OBC as an offset to some of the other AC benefits (water (unless you have the drink package already), Persian Spa, etc. I was in an S2 suite on the Reflection suite and I was able to dine in the Blu whenever I wanted without any issue or extra charge. I had preselected select dining and I think they may have moved my gratuities to the Blu. I did leave an extra tip at the end.

These are just a few suggestions for you to discuss with the supervisor. I toured several of the corner aft S1s and IMO it is much nicer with a great balcony.

Too bad that this happened to you and I can understand your disappointment. I assume that you actually booked the AC suite and not a suite Gty.

Good luck

P.S. if they are not offering you the S1 then you should ask for it. No other suites show availability.

Edited by jagoffee

I would also add that whatever they agree make sure you

get it confirmed in writing and take a copy with you

when you travel.

Good luck,by the way the Silhouette sails the next day with a very

similar itinery, what availability do they have in that,

But maybe with flights the return home won't work,

Perhaps X would pay any change in airfare

I would definately call and ask for a supervisor and/or above.

The whole site and some of the team are confused. When we tried to book with a Celebrity agent we were told we HAD to eat at 6:30 everyday in BLU. Even after I explained this has never been the case and it is open seating in BLU. I told him forget that I want to enjoy my vacation and that seating time will not work. Something told me to call back. Of course, I was given a totally different and correct answer....anytime seating in Blu.

I'd keep calling until you get the answer you want to hear and you are willing to accept. AND GET IT IN WRITING!

Good luck!

Please keep us updated!

What 20pluscruises said is so true - you may call back and get a completely different answer - even if it's not from a supervisor, just from a different agent. I've had that happen before. There definitely can be confusion on their part.

Just had a second phone call (I initiated it). Looooonghold, followed by "we're still working on it..." [click click click of keyboard] followed by a suddenly much warmer tone and "I know we're going to do everything possible to make you very happy - please accept our apologies..." etc., etc.

Wonder what's now in the record to make things so much rosier? If nothing else, I'm eager to find out on that front...

Stay tune.

I had this happen a couple of years ago on Equinox; I had booked an Aqua Class stateroom with an oversized balcony way in advance. Several months later I received a call that they had double booked the room and the other party had booked a day earlier. I was initially offered another Aqua Class room - but with normal balcony - and a token OBC ($50). I told them this was not acceptable; it was a transatlantic (so lots of sea days) and I was looking forward to spending a lot of time on the balcony. I ended up speaking with the Resolutions Department and they were far more helpful than the initial representative. They offered me an upgrade to a Sky Suite which I felt was fair and accepted.

If the Sky Suite they are offering you is an S1, those are rather nice and are noticeably larger than S2's and Aqua Suites (both interior and the balcony). Though you still should be entitled to additional compensation as you are missing out on perks and this was 100% the cruise line's fault. I would ask to be upgraded to a Celebrity Suite or higher and if they say no (or none are available) I would want a substantial OBC to cover my inconvenience and loss of perks. I definitely recommend you ask to speak to the Resolutions Department and hopefully you will have an outcome that makes you happy and renews your excitement towards your cruise. If they are trying to put you in an S2 than that truly is a downgrade and totally unreasonable without massive compensation and/or refund.

Good luck and keep us updated; this is not acceptable for Celebrity to do this with out making significant amends to make it right.

Edited by Gonzo70

I'd say if you get an S1 aft, that's a score. :D

I'd hold out and require them to give you AT LEAST Persian Garden spa access all week, some sort of OBC. I think most other perks are fairly insignificant, though I've not done AQ myself to know for sure.

I wouldn't sweat the BLU obligation. Discuss with butler your first night, and let him clue the restaurant staff in on the issue you had, and I'm fairly sure that issue will work itself out. Plus in the suite you will have dining one night in specialty restaurant. If not, contact the Hotel Director and discuss and he can probably assist. I don't think you'll have much luck getting someone shoreside to guarantee BLU access, but shipboard staff can be far more helpful in this matter. So bring it up sure, but don't harp on it....

Sorry I missed the SUITE part of the first post...

Clearly both you and Celebrity want to make this right...but they can't create a cabin. I think an S1 would be rational...and I agree that between the captain's club host and Blu, they'll get it right on the ship.

The thing that bothers me about this thread is that I think some are thinking you should get "two pounds of flesh" for this. Celebrity does need to get it right...but this isn't an "I gotcha" situation.....it happens from time to time.....and it almost always works out okay for everyone. Part of the difficulty is letting the system work when you want to know the exact outcome NOW!

My bet is that within 48 hours, you'll have a good resolution.

BTW...the notation on your record just might be that someone in Celebrity caught this thread....and they know they can't sweep you under the rug....they do follow cruise critic.

Since the OP had an AS this is the Reflection. Everywhere I look AS is a higher category than S2 or S1. I agree that while S1 is not technically an upgrade if you got a corner aft S1 that would be an acceptable room swap for me and hopefully complimentary Persian Gardens pass. Again something in writing you could use on the ship to help assure BLU access.

However on Reflection there are S1 cabins in the forward section on deck 12 mixed in with the AS cabins. I have no idea what makes these "special", if they are any larger than the standard Sky Suite it can't be by much. Location is certainly not great. I would not consider one of these a fair swap for a AS on the hump.

The drama's over! Got a very nice call from Resolutions, and apparently the other party has agreed to move. I'm almost disappointed, as after everyone's excellent advice here I felt so prepared to horse-trade! Also, I suppose I'll never know what kind of deal the other folks negotiated, and I'm just nosy enough to be interested.

So thanks, all. I was never looking to wrangle some munificent settlement for what was in the end an annoying bureaucratic snafu (one, however, that I would think a good programmer for their web backend could preclude), but it was good to get people's perspectives and some ideas (such as OBC) that hadn't immediately come to my mind.

FWIW, the call was very warm indeed, and ended with "I know we'll be doing everything to make sure your enjoy your cruise," so maybe there will some gratifying little goody thrown in to make up for a day's agita. Or maybe there is indeed a CC reader in Resolutions!

Edited by AlexDouglass

Since the OP had an AS this is the Reflection. Everywhere I look AS is a higher category than S2 or S1. I agree that while S1 is not technically an upgrade if you got a corner aft S1 that would be an acceptable room swap for me and hopefully complimentary Persian Gardens pass. Again something in writing you could use on the ship to help assure BLU access.

However on Reflection there are S1 cabins in the forward section on deck 12 mixed in with the AS cabins. I have no idea what makes these "special", if they are any larger than the standard Sky Suite it can't be by much. Location is certainly not great. I would not consider one of these a fair swap for a AS on the hump.

You are correct and I was wrong about the S1 not being a downgrade. It is certainly more expensive. I noticed several of the corner aft S1s available on the OP's cruise which I would have gladly taken.

OP, congratulations. I am glad that you were able to get the cabin that you originally wanted and booked. Enjoy your cruise. Thank you for providing an update.