Be careful with flight times; Port Everglades disembark running 2 hours behind

PescadoAmarillo

Only three customs agents, one of them on his/her first day on the job, were sent to handle Emerald Princess disembarkation today, with only one other cruise ship, the Coral Princess, in port. There was a sign in the terminal explaining that the customs and immigration process would be considerably slower due to budget cutbacks. The first walk offs were off by 7:20, but disembarkation quickly slipped behind schedule after that. At 12:20pm, in transits just disembarked and we're sitting in the terminal awaiting immigration.

Just a heads up so you can plan your flights accordingly.

Does Port Everglades (or any U.S. Port) have the Global Entry "Trusted Traveler" self-service Customs kiosks? The program was designed to avoid and by-pass such lengthy delays, but I don't know if they have put them in ship terminals yet (or plan to).

Only three customs agents, one of them on his/her first day on the job, were sent to handle Emerald Princess disembarkation today, with only one other cruise ship, the Coral Princess, in port. There was a sign in the terminal explaining that the customs and immigration process would be considerably slower due to budget cutbacks. The first walk offs were off by 7:20, but disembarkation quickly slipped behind schedule after that. At 12:20pm, in transits just disembarked and we're sitting in the terminal awaiting immigration.

Hi Jeannie,

We are boarding Feb 7 after driving from Canada. Let me know if you need anything! I expect the full length of the US will provide lots of shopping stops!

Does Port Everglades (or any U.S. Port) have the Global Entry "Trusted Traveler" self-service Customs kiosks? The program was designed to avoid and by-pass such lengthy delays, but I don't know if they have put them in ship terminals yet (or plan to).

No they don't....wish they did, tho

I've never seen them in any of the ports I've been in lately. Might help speed up the process, huh?

Thanks Pescado for the update. It's good to know and it's why I tell people to have a Plan B in case they can't make their early flight out of FLL. I can imagine the tension on the ship. Enjoy your turn-around day.

This program is only for air arrivals, although you can show your card in line and sometimes it speeds up the check when you get the agent. I handed mine to the agent and he literally glanced at my passport and waved me on, my wife got the full check.

This program is only for air arrivals, although you can show your card in line and sometimes it speeds up the check when you get the agent. I handed mine to the agent and he literally glanced at my passport and waved me on, my wife got the full check.

That is what happened to us last time. We all showed our cards when we got to the front of the line and were waved through. But we still had to wait in line. Not sure the logic behind making the program applicable only to air arrivals. Seems like a natural evolution to put the program in place in cruise ship terminals.

It was always considered, but shelved indefinitely due to budget cuts. Since its mostly business travelers who have it, a common scenario is only one member of a party has it on vacations and thus it would be more limited benefit (which makes sense, most families arent going to pay $100 a head to get an occasional use card).

That is what happened to us last time. We all showed our cards when we got to the front of the line and were waved through. But we still had to wait in line. Not sure the logic behind making the program applicable only to air arrivals. Seems like a natural evolution to put the program in place in cruise ship terminals.

Everyone wanted the budget sequester which by the way is still on. This is one of the results.

DON

Fortunately when we got off the Ruby on December 30, we were not pushed back too much from our intended time. They were running about 15 minutes behind schedule for those of us with times right after 8.

On December 26, when we were in-transit passengers, they were running later than that. We were led down as a group with the other in-transit folks around 11:30, after the other passengers had cleared. We did have friends on that cruise, however, who made it out among the first passengers and reported that they were home by 8:30 that morning. They live about 40 minutes away from the port.

It was always considered, but shelved indefinitely due to budget cuts. Since its mostly business travelers who have it, a common scenario is only one member of a party has it on vacations and thus it would be more limited benefit (which makes sense, most families arent going to pay $100 a head to get an occasional use card).

It may have started out that way, but since Global Entry is also linked to TSA Pre-Check, it makes sense for pretty much anyone who ever gets on a plane. Yes, I was the first in my family to get one. But once my wife and daughter saw how it worked, they signed up immediatley. Judging by the number of people using the TSA Pre-Check lines in airports these days, I'd say that Global Entry will be fairly commonplace pretty soon.

Fortunately when we got off the Ruby on December 30, we were not pushed back too much from our intended time. They were running about 15 minutes behind schedule for those of us with times right after 8.

On December 26, when we were in-transit passengers, they were running later than that. We were led down as a group with the other in-transit folks around 11:30, after the other passengers had cleared. We did have friends on that cruise, however, who made it out among the first passengers and reported that they were home by 8:30 that morning. They live about 40 minutes away from the port.

I was on the Ruby returning on the 26th and we were in our car at 7:30 sharp...we were originally scheduled to be last off but i requested an earlier exit due to our 12 hour drive and they let us off at 7:15.

It may have started out that way, but since Global Entry is also linked to TSA Pre-Check, it makes sense for pretty much anyone who ever gets on a plane. Yes, I was the first in my family to get one. But once my wife and daughter saw how it worked, they signed up immediatley. Judging by the number of people using the TSA Pre-Check lines in airports these days, I'd say that Global Entry will be fairly commonplace pretty soon.

They sure do make it a PITA to sign up for Pre-check. The closest enrollment office is 120 miles from my home.

Global Entry I have to drive to Charlotte which is two hours the other direction.

Maybe one day.....:rolleyes: I wish they shared databases with other agencies as I am a CAC holder but not through DOD. Already went through quite a background check, but I am still one of the unwashed....

Our son travels a lot. Because so many are taking advantage of the program, the wait is sometimes as long as the regular line :( Edited by IECalCruiser

I applied for TSA Pre a couple of weeks ago but got rejected because they couldn't get clear fingerprints on my left hand. They got my thumbs and right hand. Guess my fingers are pretty wrinkled at my age. :) I have a follow-up appointment next week to re-take my fingerprints. I decided not to apply for Global re-entry because it's good for perhaps a year or two and I have just one re-entry into NY via ship this year.

Edited by Pam in CA

I applied for TSA Pre a couple of weeks ago but got rejected because they couldn't get clear fingerprints on my left hand. They got my thumbs and right hand. Guess my fingers are pretty wrinkled at my age. :) I have a follow-up appointment next week to re-take my fingerprints. I decided not to apply for Global re-entry because it's good for perhaps a year or two and I have just one re-entry into NY via ship this year.

I have Global Entry & it's nice to have but have had a few issue with fingerprints not being read. Don't have wrinkly fingers instead mine are almost smooth. Same for DH. One of the agents gave us a nice little tip. Just before you put your fingers on the scanner, run them over your forehead. They will pick up a little oil and will read.

BTW, Global Entry is good for 5 years and if you have that, you automatically qualify for airline TSA pre-entry program. I love not having to take the computer out of the bag, remove the shoes, etc.

We have them. Considering what we had to do to get them, I wonder if children of parents who are part of the program are even eligible.

DON

We got off the Emerald this morning. What a fiasco that was. We had actually requested walk off but received an 8:30 tag. We decided not to change because that time was OK for us too. Big mistake. 8:30 turned into 10:30. We didn't miss our flight but it becomes stressful after the first hour. I feel sorry for Princess because it is their people who have to deal with the angry passengers.

There has got to be a better way.

No they don't. we have it and it sure comes in handy at airports but whenever we arrived by cruise ship is does make process faster cause for us it can only be used while visiting Canada US and Mexico as we have Nexus which gives us the trusted travelled privilege. oh when we did Alaska they had it in Vancouver. just remembered it did speed things up there.

We got off the Emerald this morning. What a fiasco that was. We had actually requested walk off but received an 8:30 tag. We decided not to change because that time was OK for us too. Big mistake. 8:30 turned into 10:30. We didn't miss our flight but it becomes stressful after the first hour. I feel sorry for Princess because it is their people who have to deal with the angry passengers.

There has got to be a better way.

Not sure what can be done. Princess recommends later flights yet people book early flights and take the chance. I've seen late or delayed disembarkation many times over the years that had nothing to do with sequestration. You're re-entering the US. It's that simple. Princess has no control over Immigration but it would certainly help if Princess required passports even though the US government doesn't for closed-loop cruises. Just a guess but I bet that the people who had booked early flights were yelling the loudest. :(

They sure do make it a PITA to sign up for Pre-check. The closest enrollment office is 120 miles from my home.

Global Entry I have to drive to Charlotte which is two hours the other direction.

Maybe one day.....:rolleyes: I wish they shared databases with other agencies as I am a CAC holder but not through DOD. Already went through quite a background check, but I am still one of the unwashed....

Interesting. DW got Pre-check without even asking for it. But she does fly about once a week for biz during her high travel season. Last time we flew on vacation, she booked the tix and *I* was cleared for Pre-check, probably because the tix were purchased in her name.

Geez, you have a CAC? I'm a Fed contractor and some others in my company were saying how tough it is to get that. I've just got Public Trust.

We have Global Entry (and with it came TSA precheck) and honestly have never really saved much time at airports, although last month I noticed that baggage claim for our flight was still pretty empty when our bags came out. The biggest benefit, and why it was worth it for both me and my husband was when we drove to Seattle after disembarking in Vancouver. Because we both have GE, we got to use the Nexxus lane, and it took 5 minutes, with a posted wait time over an hour in the regular lanes.

I do wish they'd put kiosks in the cruise terminal. It would make it faster for everyone since some of us would get out of the regular line.