Crown and Anchor "not so loyal"

To be honest I have never worried about the "perks", since I know the ships/staff/service are in general going to be top notch for the price. As a matter of fact I haven't been to one of the returning guest parties and the such. We usually just hang out in one of the main lounges with the CC friends we met. The perks are just that and if that is the only reason you're choosing a certain cruise line then more power to you, but the C&A Society isn't what keeps me returning. But, that is just me.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I think you have a perfect attitude about all of it, Cindy!

Frankly, I find it appalling that RCI even segregates passengers of different status as they do... special lounges for this group, super special :rolleyes: lounges for that group, what's next -- D+ gets on the lifeboats first?

I think RCI needs to reward loyalty differently. I love the gifts Disney leaves for us in our stateroom based on loyalty level. I still feel special, but without being all divided up from other passengers.

just my lowly gold-on-Royal opinion...

-gina-

What RCI does is offer two private lounges for certain passengers: the Diamond Club, which is a loyalty based venue for their highest tier Crown & Anchor members (Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle); and the Concierge Lounge, which is a stateroom based venue available to passengers in Grand Suites and higher. (Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members can also access the CL, and suite guests who are also Diamond or higher members can access the DC). There are no other "special lounges".

The C & A program is no different than airline loyalty programs that offer special boarding and seating perks, along with private airport lounges - or hotel programs with free point-based rooms and private lounges - along with many other similar loyalty programs.

These loyalty programs recognize different levels of membership with different levels of benefits - apparently, as you point out, similar to that of Disney. (Different levels of gifts in your room, in their case).

What is wrong with rewarding loyalty? Its common - and good - business practice. It's also not segregation - its recognition.

As to D+ getting on the lifeboats first, not likely. However, there will be complimentary cocktails on board for us...;):D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I am one cruise away from Diamond Plus but every time I deal with crown and anchor I am aggravated! Sad for Royal Caribbean that actually does a good job but then all is lost when dealing with the loyalty program.

If this really makes you that mad- well, leave. That's what you can do.

Personally, we were ok with the Diamond event. The one time it was a pain was when they moved it without telling us. But then we were the only ones in the new lounge getting our free wine. Never seen a greeter, outside of the friendly bar staff. And knowing how it worked, we were ok with that.

Also know that, outside of the Majesty, all ships will eventually get the proper lounges. Just takes time and money.

Its your money- if the lack of a perk bothers you that much, spend it where it makes you happy. Simple.

It appears that you are close to Galveston, since you are focused on that port, and the ship there. Well, if that is a needed feature for you- tough. Fly like a lot of us do. Being that it's barely above 0F right now, after two days of it being below, I would totally take a ship and not be able to even use the lounges. All about perspective, I suppose.

Edited by alfaeric

To be honest, I think you're making too much of this. They are limited as to what they can do with that many D, D+, and Pinnacle passengers on-board and no dedicated Diamond Lounge.

If I was travelling with friends who didn't have the same status, I would go have a cocktail someplace where they could be with me! Friendship is worth a lot more than a "free" drink. Heck, last year on the Mariner, we spent MUCH more time in Vintages than we did in the CL -- it was far less crowded, and the wine was much better!:D

took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard)

Well they do give us a 10 minute head start before they sound the general alarm... gives us time to get our free drinks and upgraded floatation devices... We get brand new whistles too... but Pinnacle...now they really get the perks... crew will piggy back them to the lifeboats... and they get snacks!! :D

I am literally on the floor laughing :D

To sort of answer your question, check out the celebrity loyalty program. I am only a lowly emerald, but get classified as "select" in the Celebrity system which I think actually gives me better benefits. As Diamond you would get Elite status which includes a free cocktail hour, 90 minutes of internet, one bag of free laundry and two items being pressed.

Is anyone else seeing disappointing service within the Crown and Anchor department of Royal Caribbean? In 2012 and beginning of 2013 my husband and I sailed the Mariner out of Galveston for 4 weeks and as Diamond members had a wonderful experience under Eric Lafitte. December 2012 we sailed on the Navigator that replaced the Mariner from Galveston. I have never seen so many unhappy diamond members ever. We no longer had a concierge, limited bar service and we were separated from our diamond plus friends. But frankly it was the attitude of crown and anchor that was the most disturbing. We didn't receive information in our rooms, etc. I was so looking forward to a ship year round from Galveston. After talking to other diamond members it appears that they are no longer loyal to royal Caribbean but starting to hop cruise lines. I am one cruise away from Diamond Plus but every time I deal with crown and anchor I am aggravated! Sad for Royal Caribbean that actually does a good job but then all is lost when dealing with the loyalty program.

I would venture to guess that most of us Diamonds who sail fairly regularly from Galveston knew that Navigator had a Diamond Event and not a dedicated Diamond Lounge with a Diamond Concierge. Maybe you didn't check out the ship before your cruise? We also know that Nav is in Freeport right now to get upgrades, which will include a Diamond Lounge, so the DL will be available after Nav comes back in Feb following the month in dry dock.

But the saddest thing in your post, to me at least, is that your D+ friends would dump you for free drinks in the crowded CL! Maybe these people are not really the friends you think they are. I know if I'd have been there (we are D+), and I was truly your friend, I'd have passed up my D+ CL privileges and joined you at the Diamond Event. Hey! I can have a glass of wine or champagne, same labels at the Diamond Event as those in the CL, and be happy to be having a drink with friends.

I sincerely hope your next cruise is better! And I hope you'll find a loyalty program on whatever cruise line you choose that gives you more perks than RC does.:)

But I have to tell you that those of us who are D and D+ who cruise out of Galveston are pretty excited to have the upgrades that we'll have on Nav after this dry dock!!:D DH and I will be checkin' out the new improved Navigator of the Seas, with the new DL, on May 25…Join us!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

After many of the cutbacks for Diamond members, we jumped ship and cruised Carnival our last two cruises.RCCL bringing back the Diamond lounge on the newly renovated ships are bringing us back. We are looking forward to sharing a few pre dinner drinks with friends old and new on the Navigator in March. Both company's have there good points, but Sure did miss Royal as entertainment and thing to do seems to be won by RCCL

I think RCI needs to reward loyalty differently. I love the gifts Disney leaves for us in our stateroom based on loyalty level. I still feel special, but without being all divided up from other passengers.

I've never done Disney (yet!). What are the gifts? :)

Why would anyone join us in Ixtapa with no mixed drinks, no cheese, no crackers, no fruit (forget about no hot hors d'oeuvres).

Ummm....To be with you? My friends are more important to me than a grape. :) Now that there is no more Diamonds in December, it should be less crowded. Good luck!

I'm just asking... but what line are these people going to go to for a better loyalty program? As far as I know RCI is the only line that offers a FREE dedicated cocktail hours every evening to it's Diamond and above members. Your main complaint is no concierge and you were separated from your Diamond Plus friends... well you still have a loyalty ambassador to assist you... and your Diamond Plus friends are more than welcome in the Diamond area.

So... what line does have a better program than RCI? I have friends that are working their way up on Carnival... and she just about fell over because she told me about the wonderful Captain's party... and then I mentioned the nightly cocktail hour... and the several welcome back parties... So Please... tell me where they are going for a better Loyalty Program...

I think Princess has better perks, much better. They give free laundry, free internet, free dry cleaning, free mini bar with 20 beverages, $25 OBC at 21 cruises and there after, and the list goes on. I personally don't cruise for the benefits but you asked who had better perks. I'm sailing on two RCL cruises this year and three on Princess so I go back and forth depending on the itinerary and price.

I think Princess has better perks, much better. They give free laundry, free internet, free dry cleaning, free mini bar with 20 beverages, $25 OBC at 21 cruises and there after, and the list goes on. I personally don't cruise for the benefits but you asked who had better perks. I'm sailing on two RCL cruises this year and three on Princess so I go back and forth depending on the itinerary and price.

Wasn't that impressed with the Princess cruise... and they don't sail from Port Canaveral or Tampa... and just a few from Ft Lauderdale... so I guess I just don't consider Princess... and RCI gives us some free internet, some free laundry, and free drinks... We always get an OBC with RCI and a very good discount on balconies... I guess it just depends.... but I do like the crew on RCI more than on Princess... and I like the activities on RCI more... but it is just a personal opinion... :) Maybe I'll give Princess a try sometime in the future.

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the facilities and not getting notices, but I was just wondering what dealings you do with crown and anchor that get you aggravated? I only use my number in bookings, we have never needed to ring the department? Do you mean the loyalty ambassador? We were surprised there was 2 on Radiance, with a bit over 2000 pax, and one for Voyager with about 3000 pax. They were all very helpful though.

We are about to have our first cruise as a diamond, and it will be on Radiance, so I know where it is exactly, we have been checking out the doorway! We sat outside the lounge last trip and enjoyed the view from the Quest area. We were a little disappointed that the Quest area was booked out several times for functions and we couldn't access one of the prettiest views on the ship, but we still enjoyed the other bars. We had diamond friends, and we told them to go to the D lounge, and we just caught up with them for other things during the day, like breakfast, lunch, afternoon drinks in our junior suits as we were able to get a nice plate of nibbles from the Windjammer and we can now bring on a couple of favourite wine bottles.

We did one previous cruise in a Grand Suite and really enjoyed the concierge lounge on Voyager, but it was right in the middle of the ship and had no views. We still liked having a drink and chat there and met some lovely people. We however did not really find much need for the concierge. A lovely young lady for sure, she did a restaurant booking for us, but we booked our own excursion by using the TV in our room. We had done it before.

I think that there can be a different level of services on different ships, but I have found if I have an issue that a letter to Royal Caribbean is a good way to get your point across. They may take a while to get back to you, as with any large business these days, and if you expect it will take a while you will be less annoyed. A cruise should be relaxing. If it is stressing you out, I agree with other posters, it is time to look elsewhere.

Edited by kjsmith63

The DL is the least of the benefits for us until my travel partner gains Diamond status. On our cruise in December we went to the DL once before dinner and I got coffee for us on our last morning.

So the DL is not one of the most important perks to us. I do appreciate the internet time and some of the other niceties.

I can think of many reasons not to cruise on a certain line, bad service, horrible food, lack of activities but not having a diamond lounge is not one of them. If a ship does not have a diamond lounge what were you expecting then and what did you want RCL to do? a little research prior to your cruise would of made you realize NOS does not have one.

We cruise for the on board experience yes having a diamond lounge makes the experience a bit more enjoyable but it is not the end all if a ship does not have one. And as many other posters have wrote RCL is adding them to all their ships except Majesty so that problem will be solved. I am having a hard time understanding what your issue is or am I missing something? Edited by dfishner

[quote name='texasaggiemom']Is anyone else seeing disappointing service within the Crown and Anchor department of Royal Caribbean? In 2012 and beginning of 2013 my husband and I sailed the Mariner out of Galveston for 4 weeks and as Diamond members had a wonderful experience under Eric Lafitte. December 2012 we sailed on the Navigator that replaced the Mariner from Galveston. I have never seen so many unhappy diamond members ever. We no longer had a concierge, limited bar service and we were separated from our diamond plus friends. But frankly it was the attitude of crown and anchor that was the most disturbing. We didn't receive information in our rooms, etc. I was so looking forward to a ship year round from Galveston. After talking to other diamond members it appears that they are no longer loyal to royal Caribbean but starting to hop cruise lines. I am one cruise away from Diamond Plus but every time I deal with crown and anchor I am aggravated! Sad for Royal Caribbean that actually does a good job but then all is lost when dealing with the loyalty program.[/quote]Have always had nothing but good experiences with the C&A folks, period.....K.O....:)

[quote name='texasaggiemom']Is anyone else seeing disappointing service within the Crown and Anchor department of Royal Caribbean? In 2012 and beginning of 2013 my husband and I sailed the Mariner out of Galveston for 4 weeks and as Diamond members had a wonderful experience under Eric Lafitte. December 2012 we sailed on the Navigator that replaced the Mariner from Galveston. I have never seen so many unhappy diamond members ever. We no longer had a concierge, limited bar service and we were separated from our diamond plus friends. But frankly it was the attitude of crown and anchor that was the most disturbing. We didn't receive information in our rooms, etc. I was so looking forward to a ship year round from Galveston. After talking to other diamond members it appears that they are no longer loyal to royal Caribbean but starting to hop cruise lines. I am one cruise away from Diamond Plus but every time I deal with crown and anchor I am aggravated! Sad for Royal Caribbean that actually does a good job but then all is lost when dealing with the loyalty program.[/quote]

Write a letter. Directly to every big cheese e-mail you can get a hold of and tell them what a bad job they are doing on a FREE program that offers FREE stuff to you and end it with how you will go elsewhere. Get as many as you can get to sign some sort of petition with names and C&A numbers. Go on-get a reaction. Oh, and don't forget to add how a D and D+ cruiser should have the same exact perks. Make sure all your D+ friends back you up on this to!! Fight the good fight!!

Come on-you did post that for a reaction so I took the bait............:rolleyes::o

[quote name='cruzsnooze'] $25 OBC at 21 cruises and there after[/quote]

So I would need to spend +/- 40 grand to with Princess to get a measley 25.00 in OBC for each of my future cruises with them?

Doesnt sound like much of a "perk" to me.:)

[quote name='dvpaintboy']After many of the cutbacks for Diamond members, we jumped ship and cruised Carnival our last two cruises.[B]RCCL bringing back the Diamond lounge on the newly renovated ships [/B]are bringing us back. We are looking forward to sharing a few pre dinner drinks with friends old and new on the Navigator in March. Both company's have there good points, but Sure did miss Royal as entertainment and thing to do seems to be won by RCCL[/QUOTE]

A point of clarification - RCI is not "bringing back" the Diamond Lounge, they are adding them as a new venue to ships that previously only had a Concierge Lounge. This is not something that they once offered, then removed, and are now bringing back.

When Oasis and Allure were launched, they had both a Concierge and Diamond Lounge, but the other ships in the fleet only had the Concierge Lounge. With RCI's ship enhancement program all remaining ships that did not have one (except Majesty) will have one added so that by the end of this program, all ships will have both a Concierge Lounge and a Diamond Lounge. Edited by leaveitallbehind

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']When Oasis and Allure were launched, they had both a Concierge and Diamond Lounge, but the other ships in the fleet only had the Concierge Lounge. [/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong....but, wasn't Freedom Class built with both also? I cruised FOS in her inaugural year and I'm almost certain the DL was there.

[quote name='Aquahound']Correct me if I'm wrong....but, wasn't Freedom Class built with both also? I cruised FOS in her inaugural year and I'm almost certain the DL was there.[/quote]
I believe that is correct because everyone always came back with great stories about the view from the DL on Freedom class and the outdoor patio.......something that is missing in the CL.

[quote name='Aquahound']Correct me if I'm wrong....but, wasn't Freedom Class built with both also? I cruised FOS in her inaugural year and I'm almost certain the DL was there.[/QUOTE]

I believe you and [I]cruisenfever [/I]are correct - as usual! And they are quite nice on that ship class! They are located where the 19th Hold sports bar is on Voyager class, which is converting them as well to DC's. Edited by leaveitallbehind