"Live" from the Legend of the Seas - January 13, 2014

Welcome to Barbados! On the 11 day itinerary Barbados is on a Sunday. This is a highly religious nation, so finding an excursion outside the ship is difficult. We booked the Harrison Cave and Island Tour through Royal. Since Walt was still under the weather I went on this tour without him. Dett and crew accompanied me, so I was not alone. We had a neat time on the tram in the caves and the island is very nice.

After the tour we explored the port mall. Since it was a Sunday, 95% of the island is closed for the day. The only stores open are in the mall and a few stands outside the port area. I did find a nice pair of teardrop Larimar earrings. If you purchase Larimar earrings, then make sure there are no chips in them. Also, be insistent that they show you the pairs you want to see. I eventually go a great deal, but I did have to work for it.

This afternoon I hit the gym again, and as usual it was empty in the afternoon. I think I will hit the sauna on Monday. Dinner was fantastic in MTD tonight. We showed up at 7:30 and there was no wait. I think the issues are finally getting sorted out. Oh, the top tier event was tonight in the Solarium. I saw it in the Compass and thought some of y’all might be interested in knowing this.

I know this has not been asked, but since the “no smoking on the balcony” policy was recently enacted…well, no one around us has been smoking on their balconies and it is posted in the cabins and on the compass.

Today's pictures

P1190070_zps566fae3a.jpg

P1190037_zps9997beb5.jpg

P1190089_zps2cdae362.jpg

P1190017_zpse5061b77.jpg

Since we have a full day ahead of us, we are hitting the sack early.

Lisa and Walt

Edited by RedHeadTexan
Pictures

Not only am I totally beguiled by your review, Lisa, you're introducing me to a number of new things that I guess would fall into the "Fashionista" category. I'd never heard of Charming Charlie's before nor did I know of Larimar. Googled both.

Have a wonderful day in St Lucia and I hope Walt is better and can join back in the fun.

Thanks so much for answering my questions (deck 3 odors and muster drill time). I just read all 12 pgs. of this thread to catch up (been on a COLD weather vacation. Yep, I like those kind, too! :) ), so am rather late in thanking you. Boy, you are WORKING on that ship, Girl! Answering so many inquiries! (I have another in next paragragh. Sorry!) Don't know how you keep up w/all of them. Love your fun writing style and am glad to see you are not finding "issues" w/the Legend. (After 37 cruises, I've never met a cruise I didn't like! Just a couple were not quite a great as a few others, but they were all enjoyable.) Seeing your pix of the ship reminded me of going on a few cruises in the Sovereign class. I always loved all those windows alongside the public deck areas and the solarium and that nautical-looking bar (Spinaker Lounge?)

We're sailing on the March 7 Legend cruise (a few others from that cruise also posting on this thread). I'm hoping to get people from our roll call to meet for a pre- sailaway (not during sailway), informal meet & greet on the first day. Also hope we can do a gift exchange at the official RCCL M&M. (Hope the CD officiates as it often makes things more fun! Thought I read he did on someone's Legend cruise.) If you don't mind taking a peek, does the area to the sides or somewhat near the Pool Bar on deck 9 look like an o.k. area to meet for a short sailaway day meet up?

Thanks again for keeping future Legend cruiser's anticipation up!

Well I finally caught Walt’s cold. But, I have loaded my system with over the counter medications and am doing our tour today: Soufriere by Land and Sea.

Someone was perplexed by how I am remembering to answer the majority of the questions. The answer is, I have a small notebook and I jot every question down. Also, I read the posts after I log off the wifi so I don’t waste a ton of minutes.

Dance Parties – there is a DJ themed dance party every night in the Viking Crown Lounge until midnight. The centrum also has live music that people dance to. I personally love the group “Power Play”. There are ballroom classes during the day and you can practice what you learned in the evenings.

Deck 9 for sail away meet up – For just a meeting spot to chat, the main pool is fine. For the actual sail away I would recommend going up to Deck 10 port side.

Café Latte-tudes – I will take a picture of the menu…hopefully this evening. I am there regularly, but keep forgetting to snap a photo.

There are two formal nights. The first day at sea and I am thinking tomorrow night, but will let you know for sure.

Comedian – there was a comedian the first night, but we did not go see him. Perhaps someone else will chime in after the cruise.

Oh, we were cleared for St Lucia about an hour early…your experience may vary. More to come later today…

Lisa and Walt (hack…sneeze);)

So sorry you are getting sick now - hope it goes away fast and you are feeling better soon. Walt should be getting better now that he has passed it to someone else. Great review. Would you recommend the cave tour on Barbados ???? :D

We were on the cruise just prior to yours. The only staff member we felt had an attitude was the guy at the MTD desk for those who had reservations. We had reservations the first two nights for a two top. The first night he said he didn't know how long it might be before our ttable was ready, but he would seat us immediatly if we were willing to share. Had two other couples and by the end of the meal was so tired of one of the couples (wife) bragging that we cut our desert short and left. The next night he tried the same thing and I said he put us at a large table the night before and we wanted a dinner for the two of us and that is why we reserved it. He then placed us at a section of two tops along the wall to the Chef's Table room. Reminded DW and I of a fast food joint. Had maybe a foot between tables. The rest of the staff (especially at Chop's) were pretty good.

Phil

Lisa it looks like you did the same things on Barbados and St Lucia that we did. We went with Sun Tours in Barbados and Spencer Ambrose in St Lucia. In both cases the people leading the tours were fantastic, but I was rather disappointed with Harrison's Cave.

On the other hand, Spencer's Land and Sea tour is among the best in the Caribbean!

Looking forward to pictures and ya'll feeling better. :)

Oh, sure hope you fight off that cold and it doesn't hit you too hard, Lisa! Not fair as you are doing everyone such favors w/your replies.

Yes, at sailaway we want to be up on deck 10, too. Or anyplace that we can get a nice view from. Thanks for the input on that.

Our first 2 days are at sea and ports are a bit different. I wonder if they will have our formal nt. on the first or 2nd night.

Our first 2 days are at sea and ports are a bit different. I wonder if they will have our formal nt. on the first or 2nd night.

RCI told me it will be our first at sea day. So there's a 70% chance it will be on our second sea day :D

The Soufriere by Land and Sea was a wonderful tour. They reversed the order so we did the catamaran first, followed by the land portion. It was a nice boat ride to Soufriere. We went into a bay and later stopped for some swimming. If you plan on snorkeling, then you should bring your gear. The boat does not provide snorkeling equipment. Also, men will paddle in their kayaks and boats up to the side of the catamaran to sell stuff. I was not interested, and had no issue with them.

P1200051_zps2e603114.jpg

They provide soda, water and punch onboard at no charge. After swimming you can get rum punch and bananas. I bought some banana ketchup and another hot sauce on the catamaran.

When we arrived in Soufriere, we went to the volcano. This is where they cover you in mud, but you will get a chance to rinse off. Walt and I decided to skip this since we are both under the weather. Our friend did partake and said her skin was very soft after. Word of warning, the vendors here are very aggressive. If you do not want to buy anything just say no thank you and walk away. If you hang around their area, then more of them will approach you. They are not down by mud, so you are ok there or if you walk up the hill towards the volcano.

P1200102_zps44dfd02e.jpg

After this stop we went to an old sugar plantation 5 minutes away for lunch. Our buffet had Creole chicken and fish, rice, a veggie medley, lentils, bread, and dessert. I had the chicken and it was flavorful, but not spicy. They had a hotter sauce that you can add. While at the plantation I bought some yummy coconut candy and a few bottles of water. Beverages are not provided on the land portion, so bring them with you.

Coming back we switched to nice air conditioned busses and had several stops for photo opportunities. My advice, get off the bus and take pictures. The countryside of St Lucia is gorgeous!

P1200117_zps61c798a3.jpg

P1200134_zps87019ba5.jpg

Since we got back at 3:10 and all aboard was at 3:30, we just got back on the ship. I was not feeling too great, so I took a nap for a couple of hours. We had a nice quiet dinner in the buffet and went back to the cabin. Day 8 is the night that we turned our clocks back an hour.

Lisa and Walt

Just wanted to say thanks for all the reporting! My wife and I are on the 2/24/14 cruise and this has been a tremendous help. We're looking forward to it....not sure how to pack for 12 days but we'll manage :)

Welcome Michael to Cruise Critic! We have a nice Roll Call for your cruise and we invite you to stop in and say hello! Meet your fellow passengers! Here is the link to get you started::D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1640482&page=43

We were on the cruise just prior to yours. The only staff member we felt had an attitude was the guy at the MTD desk for those who had reservations. We had reservations the first two nights for a two top. The first night he said he didn't know how long it might be before our ttable was ready, but he would seat us immediatly if we were willing to share. Had two other couples and by the end of the meal was so tired of one of the couples (wife) bragging that we cut our desert short and left. The next night he tried the same thing and I said he put us at a large table the night before and we wanted a dinner for the two of us and that is why we reserved it. He then placed us at a section of two tops along the wall to the Chef's Table room. Reminded DW and I of a fast food joint. Had maybe a foot between tables. The rest of the staff (especially at Chop's) were pretty good.

Phil

Also on the same Legend cruise with you. Remember you from our roll call. We also felt the MTD needs some definite tweaking. Observed some of that attitude from the same guy when a passenger was unhappy with MTD. The staff person was escalating the situation. :eek: Luckily, we were seated in the same section of two tops with 3 other great two toppers and best dinner companions. We saw those couples all over the ship the rest of the week. However, that area is not conducive to a dinner for two due to closeness of tables. The one thing that bugged us was that no matter when we showed up for our reservation, the staff person manning the desk was never there. He was all over the MTD area. Just weird.

Sorry for the brief hijack...back to lurking. :)

Edited by denamo

Lisa,

Hope you are not too under the weather and that Walt is on the mend. Stinks to be on a cruise and not feel well. :p

Have so enjoyed all of your pictures and sharing of your cruise. That couple with the volcanic mud on them looks funky.

Lisa-I have what may seem to be a very odd question. Can you measure the height from the floor to the top of the mattress please? I'm very tall and low beds are very hard on my crummy knees. I can't tell from any of the photos if it will be a problem for me or not. Thanks in advance. (We will be on board in September on a fjords cruise and then a b2b TA.)