It's a shame how cruising has gone downhill

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

It used to be looked upon as an expensive, luxury vacation.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

I wish I could go back to the 1990's cruises again :p.

My first cruise was around 1999. Even Carnival was still traditional in those days.

Wow, some harsh words. Actually I don't think the OP was being particularly "negative," but expressing a "missing" of the "old days." That's ok. I miss them too. I began cruising in 1998 on the then new Grandeur of the Seas. It was the best vacation ever! I am now D+ and have cruised 23 times. In 1998 I got an "interline rate" for an Inside Cabin for $750 per person. As the times changed I've cruised in JS for $799, Balconies for under $1000, and even a Crown Loft for $1599 per person! So the cost has decreased dramatically. I see this as a huge plus! Not only are cruises more available for many more people, they are more available for ME!

But I too miss the "old days" experience. I miss the Horse Racing at poolside. I miss the

"Theme Nights" in the MDR. Remember when one night would be Italian, one French, one Caribbean, one American, etc? The menus were designed with the theme in mind. The waiters wore different vests, etc. There was a dedicated Wine Steward, etc. On Formal Night most everyone dressed up. It was just a nice "luxurious" feel to it. We felt somewhat "special." And on RCCL. Not Crystal or Seabourn. But on RCCL.

So, what about now? I still love cruising. I like dressing up, but see that slowly disappearing. When it does I will have mixed feelings. I will miss the "sophisticated feel" of Formal Night, but will enjoy more the relaxation of a vacation. As MTD becomes more the norm and traditional dining becomes less popular, we will see more of a shift in cruising. Is that bad? No, just "change." It is everywhere. The ships become more of a destination. I like that. I love Allure and Oasis. I love all the things you can do on those ships. But I do miss the old days too. Call it nostalgia, call it "longing for my youth," or whatever. But I loved all the pool games. I loved the ability to get on a ship and there was NO means of outside communication. So for one week it was a luxurious, relaxing, pampered, sophisticated vacation. I miss it too. However I am very glad that RCCL offers what I consider a fantastic product. I cruised last Sep., over New Years, go again in 6 weeks, then again in May. So it appears I must still love it.

I always wonder, when people complain about entertainment, if they used to cruise when the highlight of the day was the wooden horse race, and the main lounge was so small and poorly designed that the dancer's costumes would rub against the low claustrophobic ceilings, and their feathers would constantly slap audience members in the first row every time they turned. :rolleyes:

Some people need a reality check. They don't know how good they have it these days.

HA..so true!:D

I always wonder, when people complain about entertainment, if they used to cruise when the highlight of the day was the wooden horse race, and the main lounge was so small and poorly designed that the dancer's costumes would rub against the low claustrophobic ceilings, and their feathers would constantly slap audience members in the first row every time they turned. :rolleyes:

Some people need a reality check. They don't know how good they have it these days.

Ha! I was just thinking about the shows on my early NCL Seaward cruises where that very thing used to happen. I still have memories of a dancer holding up another dancer. They had to be in the right spot so her head was between the lights. :D

Even when the older ships had theme nights and they would put on productions like Grease on 50s night, the shows still didn't even come close to what is playing today.

Where is everybody getting cruising is an inexpensive vacation. The only time I see inexpensive cruises is in August and September. After you add up the cruise fare, gratuities, taxes, fees, drinks (1 or 2 per day) your average cruise fair is 4000 for 2. That price does not include airfare. That is $575 per day. Its not super expensive but its not cheap

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

try a 7 day cruise inside stateroom, for 399 per person, add the gratuities and your numbers are so far off its amusing! You very easily can spend what you have said, but again your numbers aren't even close if you "want" to go less expensive....K.O.:D

Getting a chuckle out of this, from the 90's:p, considering rci started building ships and offering cruises in the 70's, ships where you could not even get to the VCL unless you could walk up stairs, outside. Beds that were more like bunks, wait a minute, they were. TV's, what were they. Of course the giant sucking sound from the bathroom has remained the same

rci has done a wonderful job with their ships and crews over the last 40 years , they are modern and very popular with todays cruiser, sailing at 104% capacity

They are not going back to the 90's or the 70's and we don't want them to and since the ships sale full its full steam ahead

Edited by setsail

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

OasisOTS2013, I think it is time you step up to Celebrity. You might be pleasantly surprised. These days we pretty much split our cruises between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

I do love Oasis and Allure. I don't know what ship in the nineties offered the entertainment options and dining options that these two ships offer. So far they are my all time favorite ships.

If you've cruised a while you know the OP is right but that doesn't mean I'm ready to go back. A lot of people wish for the old days but I'll stick with the lower price and more options as opposed to more amenities experience. It suits me well and apparently a lot of others too. If you're looking for that old experience, I do agree with Gangway Style that you should try Celebrity. It's probably the closest of the mass market lines.

I agree with you. I still love cruising and Royal Caribbean, but things are definitely different. Life is different too, though, I feel, all-around.

What you said rang true to me: "Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew." Completely agree. When we go now, we keep it casual and eat meals in the WJ. It's just a different experience for us now than it was back in the 90's.

You must be talking about CARNIVAL. :rolleyes:

Wow connes...your prices are so far off. My husband and I are paying that for an owners suite during spring break. Our Christmas cruises didn't even cost that much.

Big Al- spot on. My husband and I decided to try Hawaii. I'd rather cruise. We spent 12 days and used points and miles. However, if we had to pay it would average out at well over $600 day with resort charges, car rental, overpriced food. In fact, it might be even higher as the room was $400-600 night.

And we don't even get a full ocean view like we do on the cruise.

I have only sailed on Royal Caribbean. We have been cruising for seven years, made diamond in five years. When my daughter grew up and stopped cruising with us we considered jumping ship (pun intended) for a more upscale cruise line. We decided that we like the overall feel of Royal Caribbean ships. We also like knowing what to expect. The diamond lounge is a very nice experience. I have only sailed in a Jr. Suite or better and at this point prefer a grand or owners suite. I have never had a serious problem with service and most of the time service is outstanding. If you want a more luxurious cruise experience buy a grand suite. You will have a larger and more elegant space, better breakfast and lunch options (some ships), a concierge to assist you and other upgrades. If you want more luxury from Royal Caribbean it's easy to obtain.

Edited by Fat Paul

My first cruise was on RCI's (back then it was RCCL) Song of Norway. It was a boutique cruise line with only 3 ships and carried a little over 1,052 passengers. I was 19 years old and my mother took me as Dad didn't want anything to do with cruising. LOL It was a fantastic experience. Upscale and luxury. Sure I get what you are saying. However, cruising has evolved for better or worst. My last cruise on Mariner of the Seas was still just as nice. No, the food isn't as gourmet as it was back then but still reasonable good. But the ships today as far superior in quality and amenities then that small Song of Norway. Entertainment is still as good if not better today. Cabin quality was better then that inside cabin we had back in 1980. Service was outstanding - I see no difference. Crew was friendly and talkative. The biggest difference - price. Cruise line can offer good prices due to economies of scale so prices are about the same if not cheaper than back in 1980. You got to understand that cruise lines now have to attract a broader demographics of passengers with cheaper prices and more amenities and off setting those reduced fares with a lot more on board sales with some cut backs like that chocolate on your pillow. RCI isn't the same line back in 1980, but there are lines out there that offer that old upscale cruise world that RCI used to be, but be prepared on spending a lot more $$$.

Edited by COMBOY

Airplanes even worse! And no choices - other than first class:eek:

I don't know ... never been lucky enough to fly 1st class ... but I hate flying. Didn't always, but now flying is 'just a means of getting to one place from another' when you can't drive and have to fly. But, I also sympathize with the airlines and the cut backs, 911 and all the problems they've had .... it's bad and I don't like it. However, all that being said, you don't go on an airplane for vacation!! Big difference in comparing how bad flying has gotten to what someone doesn't like about a cruise line and calling it just a Holiday Inn on a Beach! Which, btw, had to stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently due to a death in the family and it was the best hotel I've stayed at in a long time! Anyone ever passing thru Merrimack, NH .... stay there!! Cleanliness, staff and amenities, breakfast .... couldn't have been better! :)

Our first cruise was on the Veendam in 1986 - 7-night NY to Bermuda. Around 800 passengers total, and for a room with a porthole, the cost for the two of us was $4200. Sure it was elegant, but that $4200 converts to more than $9300 in today's dollars. If I truly wanted to relive the 1986 elegance, I'm sure I could find a cruiseline more than willing to take $9300 from me for the experience. Our last four cruises on FOS averaged ~$2300 for the two of us - in an aft D1 balcony. So...four cruises on FOS, or one cruise on a luxury line...HMMMM;)

Nevertheless, there are many of us who would love to see a bit of past resurrected. I'd like to have a real formal night. Tuxedos and gowns not suits and ties. Make it a pay event, perhaps $75 a person. Hold it in a private venue, hosted by some of the ship's senior officers, with a cocktail hour, hors d oeuvres and upscale menu.

What you have described is the Chef's table dining experience although it does tend to suits and ties but that is entirely up to you.

What you have described is the Chef's table dining experience although it does tend to suits and ties but that is entirely up to you.

I've done he Chef's Table on the Oasis, Allure, Brilliance and the Serenade of the Seas and while I thoroughly enjoyed them they were in no way, shape or form of what I had in mind. What I suggested was a real formal affair for those folks who wanted such a function. Dress would be formal, tuxedos for the gentlemen and gowns for the ladies. The dress code would clearly be defined and enforced. A nice cocktail hour with hors d oeuvres would precede dinner. Some of the ship's seniors officers could mingling with the guests. The menu would be upscale with special attention the food preparation.

Obviously this function would not appeal to most cruisers but there are probably enough cruiser who truly like to get all gussied up and this should be right up their alley. I'd be willing to pay $75 for the experience.

Edited by Don Pedro

I didn't say that. I said Royal Caribbean used to provide those. Now they do not. I miss when they did.

There's no doubt that things have gone pretty generic on the mainstream lines, even Celebrity has declined a little but still much better then the rest but it comes at a cost. I did notice its not so much the lines as it is the ships when it comes to food . Like someone mentioned you could sail the upscale line and there are some deals to be had. NCL, RCI,CARNIVAL are all similar more then different .

Royal & Carnival are fun cruises not quiet like HAL & Celebrity

Just booked Indy for next year and I can't wait!

Wow connes...your prices are so far off. My husband and I are paying that for an owners suite during spring break. Our Christmas cruises didn't even cost that much.

Big Al- spot on. My husband and I decided to try Hawaii. I'd rather cruise. We spent 12 days and used points and miles. However, if we had to pay it would average out at well over $600 day with resort charges, car rental, overpriced food. In fact, it might be even higher as the room was $400-600 night.

And we don't even get a full ocean view like we do on the cruise.

A good price for a junior suite is $3200... Add taxes tips insurance comes to $3700. Not cheap for 7 nights. Happy sailing and I will keep my eyes peeled for those great deals:-)

Ahh you didn't specify junior suite in your post. That is all we cruise in and we are usually able to snag last minute upgrades. The highest we paid was on allure in August and that came in around $3500.

Usually our strategy is to book balcony and then wait for prices to drop and do an upgrade. So keep that strategy in mind.

Also, never pay for tips. A decent TA should be able to cover those and provide some OBC.

Edited by seaofwonder

Where is everybody getting cruising is an inexpensive vacation. The only time I see inexpensive cruises is in August and September. After you add up the cruise fare, gratuities, taxes, fees, drinks (1 or 2 per day) your average cruise fair is 4000 for 2. That price does not include airfare. That is $575 per day. Its not super expensive but its not cheap
A good price for a junior suite is $3200... Add taxes tips insurance comes to $3700. Not cheap for 7 nights. Happy sailing and I will keep my eyes peeled for those great deals:-)
I hope it doesn't come as a surprise to you that it is a less expensive vacation if you don't insist on a suite:rolleyes:

I started cruising in 2011 and enjoyed my first cruise on Royal Caribbean from San Juan-Barcelona. In 2012 I took another cruise from New Orleans-Rome and my upcoming cruise in April will be from Santos Brazil to Barcelona Spain.

I knew from the start what to expect. I found the food onboard was adequate and delicious. Now I know its not your 5 star Michelin rated restaurant nor are they pretending to be a 5 star cruise. I had great meals at Chops and at Portofino's.

The crew did a fantastic job and I loved the activities onboard. It sounds like the OP would be better suited on another cruise line which is fine. What works for one person does not work for other people. I think we can all take a cruise on a cruise line that caters to our current lifestyle and price points.

If you've cruised a while you know the OP is right but that doesn't mean I'm ready to go back. A lot of people wish for the old days but I'll stick with the lower price and more options as opposed to more amenities experience. It suits me well and apparently a lot of others too. If you're looking for that old experience, I do agree with Gangway Style that you should try Celebrity. It's probably the closest of the mass market lines.

Actually, Cunard is. Try the QM2, where every night is either formal, or semi formal. Formal is a tux. Semi formal is a coat and tie. There are no informal evenings, and except for one bar and the cafeteria, one is expected to dress after 6 PM.

I remember one evening, having a cocktail with a friend, in the Commodores Club, and by 6:20, I was on the receiving end of stares, that we were out of line, by not being dressed for the evening.

That is the "old club" of cruising, and Cunard can give you that "old time" feeling!!:D

Rick

I wish they had an area or floor of the MDR for those who wished to dress up and be in that atmosphere. That way I could have the princess for the week experience and not take away from the relaxed atmosphere that others are looking for. DISCLAIMER: the above is MHO and should be repected as such...amen. :-)

I said the same thing as you, and the response back was.........you want a laid back evening on formal night....there is a restaurant for you.....it's called the Windjammer.

I understood what the poster way saying, but what I believe you are saying, and I'm saying, is to have the bottom deck of the MDR set aside on formal nights for formal wear only.

I also agree that for a charge for the evening, you get to have cocktails and dine among officers. Not sure, but I think that Royal Caribbean should at least pursue another angle of revenue. 2 cocktails, and a wonderful dinner, with all of the glitz, maybe a $25.00 to $50.00 up charge for a meal that equals any of the alternate restaurants, one night only, per cruise, 7 nights or longer only.

Just me thoughts.:)

Rick