Out Break of Chikungunya Fever St Martin & Close By Islands

mcrcruiser

I will post a link in my next post ;but ,here is some information I posted on our Roll Call for the March 2nd Silhouette cruise & one of it's planed stops at this moment is St Martin:

We are 75 & we won't want to get ill because of this problem ;as the consequences could be much more severe for us ,at our ages

If Captains Club does not give me a satisfactory response ,I will make contact with their Miami Corporate offices on Monday;) . You would think that the ship would not want a lot of sick people overloading their infirmary or sick in their cabins :o. A totally unsatisfactory situation. Thus ,perhaps Celebrity will change course away from St Marten to another island port which has no outbreak of this mosquito born disease:)

Cliff

I have researched the after effects of the mosquito born "chikungunya fever" .It is severe & can last fior a minimum of 8 days of high fever .It is especially injurious for seniors because it severly lowers the immune system & magnifies already existing medical conditions. The report says "the underlying medical codition is aggravated " .Sweeling of joints severe pain & many other unpleasant effects come with this disease & there are NO innociulations to prevent it or cures to use medically.

I am VERY CONCERNED & will definitely talk with Celebrity to see what their plans are to avoid the possibility of any contact with these mosquito bearing this disease.:o:eek:

Another link to the CDC report :

My husband and I will be on this cruise!!

However, I am now very concerned about this virus in St. Maarten. I have been on other travel forums and people are canceling their vacations there because of the travel warning (I heard it on the news the other night).

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/...unya-caribbean

There have been other threads about this issue.

The CDC link you posted is a Level 1 Watch. This is the LOWEST level from CDC. Their advice: "Practice Usual Precautions."

If Celebrity cancelled every port that had some threat at this low level, there would be nothing left but days at sea. But with Norovirus, that could be even more dangerous.

There is no completely safe way to travel. [Just ask Saint Paul. ;)]

It is a level one warning. Nothing to get worked up about. Use some repellent if you are concerned. Moreover, this really is more of a problem on the French side and the ship docks on the Dutch side. There have been a number of threads already on this topic.

My in-laws (6 people total) just spent an entire week in St Maarten in a land-based resort over the holidays and had no problems with mosquitos.

I don't think it's something to worry about, especially since the CDC isnt making a huge deal over it.

Its probably the same risk any of us here in the U.S. have with our mosquitos and west nile virus.

I

From what I read this virus is especially dangerous for seniors who have medical conditions as the virus aggravates the medical condition . Repellents wont always stop the mosquito bites . It is not to be taken so lightly .

We are seniors in our mid 70s & we do have pre existing conditions & we are going to St Martin on a Celebrity ship .Yes ,we can & would stay aboard ship ;however ,there are no guarantees that these mosquitos would not board the ship .Just imagine a whole lot of sick folks with high fevers & very painful & swollen joints going to the infirmary .They could not handle it . :o

From what I read this virus is especially dangerous for seniors who have medical conditions as the virus aggravates the medical condition . Repellents wont always stop the mosquito bites . It is not to be taken so lightly .

We are seniors in our mid 70s & we do have pre existing conditions & we are going to St Martin on a Celebrity ship .Yes ,we can & would stay aboard ship ;however ,there are no guarantees that these mosquitos would not board the ship .Just imagine a whole lot of sick folks with high fevers & very painful & swollen joints going to the infirmary .They could not handle it . :o

If you have such fear....I suggest cancelling the cruise. ;)

I am sure you are right, the infirmary could not handle it. But the threshold is very low for simply offloading a patient they deem sick. Anything requiring more than routine care, IV fluids etc would likely be handled by getting to the closest port & transporting the patient to a hospital, or if need be coordinating some sort of airlift to a hospital.

There are a few threads about this on the port board for St Maarten where you can find up to date local information. On and off, There has been a Level 1 alert for dengue fever throughout the Caribbean on various islands/countries for years, which means to take 'usual precautions'. And that is what we plan to do, as we board the ship today and will enjoy St Maarten.

There are a few threads about this on the port board for St Maarten where you can find up to date local information. On and off, There has been a Level 1 alert for dengue fever throughout the Caribbean on various islands/countries for years, which means to take 'usual precautions'. And that is what we plan to do, as we board the ship today and will enjoy St Maarten.

Have a wonderful cruise! What ship?

If you have such fear....I suggest cancelling the cruise. ;)

It is not fear & we are in penalty phase for our 2 cruises & found out about this CDC report too late to cancel

When you do arrive at our age group you perhaps will understand the concerns .Things like high blood pressure ,diabetes type 2 ,asthma ,inner ear problems ie bring our resistance down & thus severe pulmonary problems could take us out, from such a virus infection .

Common sense will tell us to stay on board .Although that is not a guarantee ,it is far less risk for us .:) .St Martin is not special as a port to us because we have been there many times in the past

We were at a Hilton in Florence years back & opened the transom of a window 13 stories high .When we woke the next day ,many mosquitos were on the ceiling .We learned then that heights don't deter the mosquitos:o:eek:

I can totally understand your concern, I'm lucky enough to still have my parents at my age and I know that if they were traveling with me on my Feb. cruise ( they are not) - I wouldn't let them off in St Maarten, it is o.k. to be cautious. :) It might be a great day to visit the solarium and enjoy a mostly empty ship. For those of us that are younger - using an insect repellant should be protection enough. I trust X that if the CDC warning becomes more serious that they will make a decision with the health of everyone in mind.

There has been one case of chikungunya fever reported on the CDC website for Sint Maarten or the Dutch side of that island so if you stay onboard and inside neither one of you is very likely to be case number two reported from there. Where the cruise ships docks at the outer part of Great Bay is quite open to sea breezes and wind tends to prevent mosquitoes from being in that area as it affects their ability to fly so they avoid being in or can't get to such location. The Allure of the Seas which is also in that port when your ship is there so lets hope that behemoth isn't upwind and acting as a windbreak for your ship.

Edited by robtulipe

I cannot imagine people cancelling vacations for a level one warning unless they are severely immunocompromised, in which case I would have to think their travel options would be very limited to begin with, as just being on a cruise ship would expose one to many new viruses due to the demographic of the passengers. Edging into my 60's I do understand a higher level of concern as one ages, as the ability to fight these things worsens with age, and age itself often brings along more and more medical challenges in general.

That said, if one is really concerned I would just stay on the ship. If a nice sea breeze is blowing, it is highly unlikely that mosquitos would make their way into the ship. Even if not, the odds are small to see mosquitos onboard and the odds are even smaller that any mosquitos that make their way there would be infected. Then add to that the odds of being the one person bitten by that infected mosquito and I would say you have a much better chance of winning the lottery.:D

It is not fear & we are in penalty phase for our 2 cruises & found out about this CDC report too late to cancel

When you do arrive at our age group you perhaps will understand the concerns .Things like high blood pressure ,diabetes type 2 ,asthma ,inner ear problems ie bring our resistance down & thus severe pulmonary problems could take us out, from such a virus infection .

Common sense will tell us to stay on board .Although that is not a guarantee ,it is far less risk for us .:) .St Martin is not special as a port to us because we have been there many times in the past

We were at a Hilton in Florence years back & opened the transom of a window 13 stories high .When we woke the next day ,many mosquitos were on the ceiling .We learned then that heights don't deter the mosquitos:o:eek:

Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, as well some insect repellant.

Another name is Dengue fever

Fact sheet

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/CHIKV_FACT%20SHEET_CDC_General%20Public_cleared.pdf

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

If you are that concerned you should really not be traveling anywhere. In fact you should seal your house and never leave. I do not mean to be callous in any way, but there is a danger of being exposed to illness everywhere. If you are careful and take precautions, you should be perfectly safe. We just went to Saint Maartin and there was not a single sign of a mosquito during the day on the Dutch side. Everyone on our cruise was perfectly fine, and there were a LOT of older folks, around you age, that got off the chi and went to town.

One thing that many people may not have considered: If there are mosquitos on St. Martin, there could also be mosquitos on the decks of the ship. Not going ashore is NOT going to protect you. What WILL is a strong mosquito repellant that has DEET. I know it is unpleasant stuff, but better safe than sorry.

For those who do not know: You put sunscreen on FIRST and then insect repellant on top of that. If you are in swimming or perspiring a lot, you must reapply often. It is not 100% foolproof, but odds are good the mosquitos would rather feast on someone else if you are wearing strong DEET.

I gather that this virus requires an insect vector and cannot be spread from human to human. Is that correct?

Another precaution we intend to bring: OFF now has those little propellant discs that are like little fans that you can wear on your waist or place beside you. Again, not 100% safe, but better than nothing.

Would hate for someone, especially someone who is older or who has an underlying health issue to get sick on their vacation. (High blood pressure is one they caution about.) Please be sure to take all available precautions while your ship is in port. It is far better to be safe than sorry. A minor inconvenience could save you a major health issue. No need to worry unnecessarily though...I think.

Be safe!

Certainly understand your concerns, but agree with most of other replies. Use precaution that fits your concerns and not force undo worry upon others. We are going next week, so appreciate the info and will carry some OFF protection, and will assume little mosquito action until evening. I tend to be a worry-wort, but can not prevent every possible bad outcome, e.g.: wear face masks on planes to protect from thousands of coughs, not use ice in drinks to protect from E Coli, not eat in a restaurant to protect from food poisoning, not have a hotel breakfast buffet to protect from norovirus, and thats even before I make it to the ship.

Repellents wont always stop the mosquito bites . It is not to be taken so lightly .

We are seniors in our mid 70s & we do have pre existing conditions & we are going to St Martin on a Celebrity ship .Yes ,we can & would stay aboard ship ;however ,there are no guarantees that these mosquitos would not board the ship

If you bought Celeb's insurance, look into their 'cancel for any reason' allowance even after final payment if you are so worried. Good Luck.