Define "Modern Luxury" on Celebrity

ClairetoCruise

Just words in the press or something with meaning to the customer?

In recent threads it reads like a premium drink package is the luxury on Celebrity.

IOHO, the beds are luxurious in comfort yet bedding is short due to the curve at bottom.

The heated loungers on S-class are a luxury.

We're searching for more luxury with our cruise dollars.

Thx for post.

Claire

Modern Luxury is a good description of the ships I have been on. Lets look at the word luxury because thats where I think the problems start.

indulgence in and enjoyment of rich, comfortable, and sumptuous living

- rich (depends) comfortable (very) sumptuous (yes)

something that is considered an indulgence rather than a necessity

- absolutely. It is not necessary to cruise, its an indulgence for most people. It is indulgent to have my food cooked for me, and my comfortable, dare I say sumptuous, room cleaned for me. To lie by a pool all day and be entertained and have drinks poured for me.

Modern is self-explanatory. We are sailing on ships built in the first decade of the 21st century, not the Mayflower. Of course its modern.

You are not going to please all the people all the time. But sadly it seems that the vast majority of the unpleased find their way to this forum and hence the air of dissatisfaction that I see here. Its bizarre.

Celebrity markets the concept "Modern Luxury", what does that mean to you?

Claire

Many people have certain images, real or not, about the meaning of luxury:

the way people used to dress, or the houses in which the rich lived, the cars that they would drive, the accommodations they seek.

Celebrity is trying to market some of their sailings and luxury staterooms to that segment of the market.

The new Reflection has some outstanding cabins that would make most of us drool.

Celebrity used to have a much better tag line about being treated like royalty that applied to everyone on board.

I'm too old to appreciate modern luxury.. I'm stuck in that past.. ;)

Edited by ~Cruisenut~

I can't define it, except in the most superficial way, and I wouldn't want to. As has bene mentioned, it's just a phrase concocted by a marketing company as a way to advertise this particular brand.

We decided to give Celebrity a try as everyone we spoke to on a Princess cruise recommended it! And we liked it! We like the bathrooms, we like the atmosphere on board, we like the food, the buffet and even the coffee. There are some things we like about other lines, but overall Celebrity seems the best fit for us, at the moment.

I have read criticism on here about cost cutting, and things being worse than they used to be, but as we only started cruising with Celebrity in 2012, I can't comment too much on that.

All I can say isthat I don't take much notice of 'Modern luxury' or any other advertising slogan.

I hate to say it but it appears that since Modern Luxury has been used it means cutting down on things such as food and entertainment.

On our recent Constellation cruises we found the food as good as ever, better than 2 years ago and appreciated most of the entertainment.

We did not notice any cutbacks. (We do not mourn the passing of the A'cappella groups that so many others liked)

Modern Luxury is a good description of the ships I have been on. Lets look at the word luxury because thats where I think the problems start.

- absolutely. It is not necessary to cruise, its an indulgence for most people. It is indulgent to have my food cooked for me, and my comfortable, dare I say sumptuous, room cleaned for me. To lie by a pool all day and be entertained and have drinks poured for me.

Modern is self-explanatory. We are sailing on ships built in the first decade of the 21st century, not the Mayflower. Of course its modern.

You are not going to please all the people all the time. But sadly it seems that the vast majority of the unpleased find their way to this forum and hence the air of dissatisfaction that I see here. Its bizarre.

Some find a Hermes handbag luxury...where others may find a Coach handbag luxury.

I think what I’m saying is that in my experience — luxury as an item, or a concept, is in the eye of the person doing the luxuriating.

On our recent Constellation cruises we found the food as good as ever, better than 2 years ago and appreciated most of the entertainment.

We did not notice any cutbacks. (We do not mourn the passing of the A'cappella groups that so many others liked)

The food was good also on my Silhouette cruise also, I noticed little things like Mast Grill now onlyhas hot dogs and burgers. They used to have a third selection ie: sausage which changed every day. Others have reported that in the Aqua Spa certain items are gone like Salmon. Little changes like that and the entertainment in the lounges has definitely changed and IMHO not for the better, probably another cost cutting measure.

The food was good also on my Silhouette cruise also, I noticed little things like Mast Grill now onlyhas hot dogs and burgers. They used to have a third selection ie: sausage which changed every day. Others have reported that in the Aqua Spa certain items are gone like Salmon. Little changes like that and the entertainment in the lounges has definitely changed and IMHO not for the better, probably another cost cutting measure.

I have a sneaky suspicion they are going to phase out the Aqua Spa Cafe...what they will replace it with, who knows??????????

Edited by 20pluscruises

I'm with you, I haven't notice much in the way of cutbacks. Seems to me that some of those unhappy with the Captain's Club for not giving into their demands are now saying everything is because of cutbacks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The Aqua Spa Café was my favorite place on the M-Class ships.

On the S-Class it's less and has fewer tables for the larger ships.

There are educational post on the thread as "modern luxury" a slogan, a perception, or a combination of this and that.

DavidYYC raises essential issues as the Celebrity passengers have a variety of expectations.

The cost considerations are a factor that makes me prioritize the necessities for my luxury. I need paper and pen for this.

"Modern Luxury" is subjective. It beats "X the Rules"

Thank you,

Claire

I'm with you, I haven't notice much in the way of cutbacks. Seems to me that some of those unhappy with the Captain's Club for not giving into their demands are now saying everything is because of cutbacks.

Some people seem to relate changes to cutbacks I think. Maybe the old standbys in the Aqua Spa Cafe were not moving or as popular as we think. Haven't seen much change in entertainment but again we move on from piano bars, A"cappella groups etc. We seem to gravitate to something that has a beat lol. We are 65 & 69 and you won't find us sipping a cognac and listening to a string quartet. We all think the food has improved greatly over the last few yrs. What I am trying to say is that the "cutbacks" are something that we did not avail ourselves of anyway so we don't miss them. Our problem (a good one) is that we love the vibe of the S Class but the M Class always seems to go where we want ie South America & Asia. Looking forward to Oz and NZ on S Class in the future:D

but we are liking the new way X is going.

The cynic says Modern Luxury means......

a terrible website that creates a huge disconnect between the pre-cruise on-line experience (mostly substandard) and the on-board experience (mostly very good) Combined with really poor corporate-to-customer communication (maybe they think that everyone has a secretary who can sort through all the bizarre intricacies of such things as on-line check in and luggage tag ordering)

That's what I got out of the responses as well. Nice to see someone that actually appreciates being spoiled a bit.

This is my experience with Celebrity:

My first cruise on Celebrity was on the Mercury for my 40th birthday. We were on the top deck above the pool during a pool party, celebrating leaving Costa Rica and heading toward the Panama Canal. At the strike of midnight, the MC made a big deal about announcing my big day. Everybody toasted me for turning 40. It was something special!!

We then made our home on the Infinity in an inside cabin a couple of years ago. Our cabin was midship and the door opened out into the glass elevator vestibule. Our friends were in the cabin next door. We made the little sitting area in the elevator lobby our own and dubbed it 'The Lounge'. Again, it was something special. The hotel manager came by and saw us having such a lovely time that he actually had our room steward deliver a bottle of champagne to each of us that evening....just for having fun!!

This prompted us to sail on the most lovely Equinox for my DH's 60th birthday. I was talking with the bartender and fellow passengers at the martini bar explaining how I pulled off the surprise of a lifetime for that trip. I kept the entire thing a secret, booked a concierge cabin and first class airfare. He didn't know what was going on ...and it took me an entire year to plan it. The bartender asked when his actual birthday was -- 6 days away -- mid-cruise. ON that day, we happened to go back to the martini bar and the bartender was busy doing something in the corner instead of taking our order. He then came over, placed a decorated glass in front of my husband. It was all laced with chocolate on the inside of the glass -- the writing saying "Happy Birthday Kenny". He remembered the date, he remembered his name and he remembered Kenny liked chocolate. He then proceeded to pour a chocolate martini into the glass.

This is my definition of modern luxury...being spoiled above and beyond!! This is why we keep coming back to Celebrity!! It's the bomb!! :D

This is my definition of modern luxury...being spoiled above and beyond!! This is why we keep coming back to Celebrity!! It's the bomb!! :D

Nice!!

I can't understand why so many people are bitter while so many of us truly enjoy the X experience, again and again.