Newbie - Dress Code?

rhinomike

Not a newbie to cruise ships but never sailed on Celebrity. We are just getting tired of Carnival. Looking for a new cruise line. I like Celebritys non- smoking policy. We are also a fan of traditional cruise dinning in the MDR.

Money is not an issue for us. The only thing stopping me from booking the luxury lines is dress code. We are casual and don't like to dress up. But we love having dinner in the MDR. I don't mind being on the lower end of the dressed up passengers. On Carnival I wear nice shorts, shirt and shoes to the MDR. On elegant night I wear slacks, dress shoes and a polo. What about Celebrity? What is the dress code and what is real? Thank you.

Not a newbie to cruise ships but never sailed on Celebrity. We are just getting tired of Carnival. Looking for a new cruise line. I like Celebritys non- smoking policy. We are also a fan of traditional cruise dinning in the MDR.

Money is not an issue for us. The only thing stopping me from booking the luxury lines is dress code. We are casual and don't like to dress up. But we love having dinner in the MDR. I don't mind being on the lower end of the dressed up passengers. On Carnival I wear nice shorts, shirt and shoes to the MDR. On elegant night I wear slacks, dress shoes and a polo. What about Celebrity? What is the dress code and what is real? Thank you.

No shorts at dinner in any of the restaurants

No shorts at dinner in any of the restaurants

You can wear shorts anytime in the buffet, including dinner time. I think shorts are also okay at Bistro on 5 and The Lawn Club Grill.

You're going to be hard pressed to find any cruise lines that allow shorts in the MDR & Specialty restaurants for Dinner though.

You might consider Oceania, but still no shorts in the evenings, other than the buffet, which is the best buffet I've ever had on a cruise ship, at least the one on the Riviera was.

From the website:

Q. What is the onboard dress code?

A. You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear, and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, pants outfit, skirt or shorts and blouse; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

There is much debate over the issue of what is acceptable on formal nights, with some taking a more relaxed approach, but there seems to be little disagreement with the smart casual rules for dining in the evening. If you want to wear shorts to the MDR at night, you will probably be turned away. On formal nights, you might or might not get in with slacks and a polo shirt, but you would not be meeting the anticipated level of dress.

If dressing more casually is important to you, you might not be happy on Celebrity.

BTW, Celebrity does allow smoking, but in limited locations. If you were expecting a non-smoking policy, you'll be out of luck.

No one denied entry except the shorts they catch. You wear a sport coat with tie you are in. Much less and you will feel out of place. Tux is pretty much a thing of the past even on Celebrity so you won't feel in the minority with just a sport coat and tie. You will see lots of dark suits and ties but few full tilt tux outfits.

Definitely no shorts at night in the restaurants, but slacks and a polo or Hawaiian type shirt for men works for other than formal night. (depending on the ship you may see shorts here and there but that is not the dress code, and it varies by ship - definitely not common). The formal dress code is only mandatory in the main dining room on formal nights (although many people will wear it in other restaurants as well), so if you prefer not to bring a suit, tux, or sport coat then you can eat at a different venue those nights. You can also get the full dining room menu thru room service during the standard dining hours as well. Or, there is a menu of items you can get thru room service 24 hrs, no charge. We rarely do that, although we have on occasion decided to stay in our room to catch a sports event, and ordered pizza and a few beers. Very relaxing for a change.

No shorts in the MDR and Speciality are the only thing that will get you asked to change, by the staff, for dinner service. There were many in slacks and a polo or shirt with no tie on the Reflection on 'dress up nights' last Nov, so don't worry, it is only on Cruise Critic that the critic's say anything. No one will ever approach you on Ship and utter a word about your dress. Only on the faceless internet do they have the courage to do so. The product that Celebrity delivers is second to none in their price point. Give them a try, you will not be sorry.

I was told directly by Celebrity that on "Formal" night she said that there is a BIG range of dressing. Suit more common, to slacks and a shirt. I asked her if a slacks and at tie, and she said yes.

They will only turn you away if you are in shorts/tanktops/sandles

On longer cruises and transatlantics many men wear tuxes. If you don't at least wear a jacket to the MDR you may be handed a jacket to wear.

Since we are discussing dress, I know that Blu's dress code says smart casual every day, but is that what we can REALLY expect to see on formal nights too. We will be on a 5 day cruise (Caribbean) and will be in AQ. We are flying and DH would love not to have a suit packed. If he wears a shirt, tie and slacks will he be underdressed?

Edited by cruzinlisa

I tend to wear linen slcks in the evening together with a linen shirt (not tucked in) and converse deck type shoes - will that pass for smart casual?

Whatever smart casual is!

Kind of close to just "casual". A better way would be nice khackis,short sleeve collar dress shirt(Ralph Lauren type)Leather "upper"deck shoes such as Rock Port/Timberland/ etc. are fine. Leave the "canvas" converse for day casual.

In August I observed a man wearing slacks and a patterned shirt turned away from the MDR on formal night with a statement from the hostess like this: "Sir, we'd like it if you'd wear either a tie or a jacket. Please go back to your room and get one of those and then we'll seat you."

He came back with a jacket and a smile and everyone was happy.

The hostess was super friendly about the whole thing and delivered it in a way that you felt you'd be disappointing her if you didn't comply.

This was on Infinity, British Isles itinerary, Select seating, formal night.

Edited by SixOneTwo

Thank you everyone. Lots of good information. I think Celebrity will be our next cruise. Although we may skip formal night in the MDR. I'm not wearing a jacket or a tie. Just not comfortable like that.

Skipping the MDR on formal nights is a good idea and avoid the shorts at dinner (unless you eat in the buffet). Oh, and shorts are also frowned upon for the evening theatre performance.

Other than that the dress code is really not as big a deal as you might think reading some of these threads :D

Since we are discussing dress, I know that Blu's dress code says smart casual every day, but is that what we can REALLY expect to see on formal nights too. We will be on a 5 day cruise (Caribbean) and will be in AQ. We are flying and DH would love not to have a suit packed. If he wears a shirt, tie and slacks will he be underdressed?

People do dress up in Blu on formal nights but you will see a wide range of dress. No one expects a suit and tie or tux in Blu but many people enjoy dressing up anyway, while others just stick to smart casual. The thing about Blu is that it is up to you.