Is Royal the worst rated ship on CC?

Loreni

And ... we are glad that we did!

Since returning from Royal Princess I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I really want to do for my next cruise.

The list was narrowed down to two ships each from Celebrity Cruises, NCL, and Carnival, and one from Princess Cruises. I looked at what's important to me, what I like to do, and what I expect to 'achieve' at the end of that cruise.

In the end I finally decided that I want to book the ship that I'm sure will bring me the most pleasure and satisfaction for my dollars.

And we all do the same. Take what we enjoy most, consider all the factors that are important to us, and go with it.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time on whatever ship you've chosen.

Just like I will.

:D

I have read most of the reviews on Royal and the results are poorer then posted.

Many of the positive posters who have rated the cruise a 4* and higher have ended their reviews with statements that they would never sail her again or recommend her to friends.

Who rates a ship a 5* and says they will never come back?

Those who slam her in reviews actually had a horrible time with substantial problems and the disappointment is real.

The majority of cruisers do not research the heck out of a ship they just book it and they expect it to be great.

This is the jewel in the Princess fleet they had the opportunity to have the newest and best and defenders say don't have high expectations? Really!

You have those saying she was not designed for the Carribean well she spends half her time their so not smart planning on Princess's part.

Edited by baldercash

I have read most of the reviews on Royal and the results are poorer then posted.

Many of the positive posters who have rated the cruise a 4* and higher have ended their reviews with statements that they would never sail her again or recommend her to friends.

Who rates a ship a 5* and says they will never come back?

I noticed this too and thought it was very odd.

The "underperforming" ships noted in the first few posts to this thread are the "newest": Royal Princess, NCL Breakaway, and the Carnival Sunshine (not new, but massive redo). Apparently the latest fanfare and marketing oversold these ships as amazing, novel, wonderful advances, but many people didn't find the innovations that exciting and also missed the "older" features that were removed.

I haven't read many reviews of Breakaway to learn what the complaints are. I've never sailed on NCL but the promos for the Breakaway definitely got me excited to consider trying it!

Disclaimer: I fall in the camp of nothing about the Royal Princess exciting me given the reviews because I generally spend my time on-board on my spacious balcony, the aft pool, and the indoor pool. I also enjoy walking along the promenade to and from the theater shows from my aft room. I'm disappointed to not be excited about the new Princess ships. One day I'll probably sail on one, but they are not a priority at all.

The "underperforming" ships noted in the first few posts to this thread are the "newest": Royal Princess, NCL Breakaway, and the Carnival Sunshine (not new, but massive redo). Apparently the latest fanfare and marketing oversold these ships as amazing, novel, wonderful advances, but many people didn't find the innovations that exciting and also missed the "older" features that were removed.

I haven't read many reviews of Breakaway to learn what the complaints are. I've never sailed on NCL but the promos for the Breakaway definitely got me excited to consider trying it!

Disclaimer: I fall in the camp of nothing about the Royal Princess exciting me given the reviews because I generally spend my time on-board on my spacious balcony, the aft pool, and the indoor pool. I also enjoy walking along the promenade to and from the theater shows from my aft room. I'm disappointed to not be excited about the new Princess ships. One day I'll probably sail on one, but they are not a priority at all.

The acid test will be the Quantum OTS. RCI wrote the book on designing and operating large (4000+ pax) ships.

As I have mentioned before on these boards, regardless of how you try to justify or challenge the negative reviews, they are still there valid or invalid. This has to be something Princess is concerned about. Negative press can't be very good for business. Princess needs to turn this around. They have already announced a promenade and an aft pool on the Regal as well as a re-fit aft pool on the Royal, and hopefully the never should have happened soot problem will be solved soon.

Did you ever consider this, the 'promotion' of the previous Princess president was really a way to get him out and put others in charge after the Royal received so many negative comments. Most of the time negative comments have to do with staff, quality of food, and other correctable issues.This is what the post cruise surveys are about. But in this case most of the negative comments have to do with design issues. I don't think Princess ever expected this. Did they think their customers wouldn't notice the shortcomings if you just fed them well?

Did they think their customers wouldn't notice the shortcomings if you just fed them well?

In many instances, they thought that passengers would embrace the new features as being, well, new. And technologically superior. And different. In some cases, they were right. Everyone is raving about the bigger Atrium, the expanded Alfredo's, the dedicated Chef's Table, the Wine Maker Dinners, the TV system and the expanded Horizon Court. And many applaud the fact that the 2013 ship was not built to 2004 specifications. But I think they greatly overestimated the love for certain other features. Imagine that you are the General Manager of one team, and the GM for another team offers you a trade. He will give you:

• Club 6
  • Promenade platforms and a jogging track
  • Princess Live
  • open aft spaces
  • one outdoor pool coupled with a second "adult only" outdoor pool
  • 9x4 balconies
  • and a Captain to be named later

in exchange for:

• Skywalker's
  • a full (split-level) Promenade
  • Explorer's Lounge
  • Club Fusion
  • an aft pool with hot tubs
  • an outdoor pool coupled with an indoor pool, both open to all passengers, and
  • 9x9 and 9x7 balconies.

They obviously thought that the majority of customers would take that trade. If you book Inside cabins, don't use pools and go to the theater for most of your entertainment, then the trade outlined above wouldn't really impact you and the other new features far outwiegh the negatives. I suspect that those are the folks who love this ship to the point of making it their ship for the future. But many others would not make that trade, and will stick with what Princess previously provided.

As for smaller balconies, well, there really is no explanation for how a cruise line famous for its Caribe and Mini-Suite balconies thought that they could shrink those down and not have people notice. Or care. It's hard to imagine that in some design center somewhere, there wasn't a mock-up of the balcony where someone could have said: "You know....if we add 8 more inches to the width, people will actually be able to face the ocean." It's hard to imagine that a PCL executive looked over the mock-up, sat askew and shouted: "This is just what we wanted!" This one issue alone is probably responsible for at least half of the "I won't sail Royal again" reviews, even among people who otherwise loved the ship.

Edited by JimmyVWine

If you wish to follow the Member Review site to bolster your dislike of the Royal, then go right ahead.

Some of the Reviews had errors of fact that should have been corrected.

Some of the reviews on the Member Reviews were strictly bashing the ship.

Some reviews did not have ratings, yet they are computed in the percentage.

Some of the reviews had a final rating that didn't make sense after reading the review and seeing the individual ratings.

If you want to rely on the percentage amounts (flawed as they are), then 62% of cruisers enjoyed their cruise. 38% had a disappointing cruise, whether it was ship design, food, service, entertainment, embarkation problems and disembarkation problems. Some of these complaints can be made about any cruise.

So, 2/3 of the people that cruised Royal had a good time despite the ranting going on by the cruisers that feel slighted by Princess because of the ship's design.

When the dust settles (or should I say the soot settles):), and Princess takes care of any deficiencies and complaints from it's survey responses, the ship will begin to find it's niche.:D

Bon Voyage wherever you choose to sail.

If prices speaks, the Crown is more expensive than the Royal on the last few 7 day cruises. Also more cabins are filled on the Royal, im sure at Princess they know from feedback and bookings that the Royal has been a disaster.

There must be some validity to all the negative reviews. I'm looking at a seven day Caribbean cruise in March. I like the newer ships so, besides Royal, I looked at RCL Allure, HAL Niew Amsterdam, and Celebrity Reflection balconys. Royal was $100-$300 cheaper than the others. That tells me they aren't filling the ship. Based on this and the negative reviews, Royal is out of the running. Maybe, if the reviews get better I'll give them another look next fall.

You are willing to spend your vacation dollars based on the opinions of people you have never met, on a board where opinions are often stated as facts. I booked the Royal because it is different. Unless it transforms itself to be just like the other Princess ships, I am fine. It seems a few don't like it for the exact reasons I booked it, it's not like all the rest. The things they missed, I never really noticed or care about. If I read reviews, it's to see if there is a pattern about something, and whether that item is important to me. You have to decide what you want and need from your vacation, then decide the best fit. It seems you are making what others think about their vacation determine yours. I think that's the receipe for disappointment or missing out on a great oppertunity. I would not use CC to be my main source of information.

Unless we are in the back office, we know nothing about the pricing. Maybe it's an attempt to make the people who are used to the same ole, same ole, try something different. Afterall, they have the free cruise promo on the west coast. That would make Princess worse off than Carnival sailing out of the same area, right, or maybe they are trying to move people up?

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

If prices speaks, the Crown is more expensive than the Royal on the last few 7 day cruises. Also more cabins are filled on the Royal, im sure at Princess they know from feedback and bookings that the Royal has been a disaster.

Well Princess has been cheaper than Carnival, sailing out of the same area. So what does that say about pricing, let's head to Carnival for a fun ride:D I just sailed Carnival at the same rate I booked Royal, granted a cove balcony verese an inside but air to FLL was cheaper.

Edited by Blk_Amish

It seems you are making what others think about their vacation determine yours. I think that's the recipe for disappointment or missing out on a great oppertunity. I would not use CC to be my main source of information.

Customer reviews is what has made Trip Advisor/Cruise Critic what it is today.

What source of information would you use to judge a cruise ship?

Mike:)

Customer reviews is what has made Trip Advisor/Cruise Critic what it is today.

What source of information would you use to judge a cruise ship?

First, what is CC today, about 2 percent (even 5) of the crusing population. Even if everything posted here was true and factual, it might not make one bit of a different to your real on board experience. To get the most you need a very good BS filter, because we really don't know if people logging on have actually been on a cruise.

I get information from countless travel magazines and people who I know who have done a line or an itinerary. Ships are still a mode of transportation for me, so it's like asking what I use to judge a airline. Where it's going, the time it's leaving, why I am going, and finally can I afford it? Carnival for my anniversary is out, did RCL recently, been there, so Princess next, and luckily a different ship. I have confidence in the product so I know it will meet my basic expectation, without hearing what others say about theirs. Would I made the voice of such an insignificant number (2+ percent) influence my vacation decision and dollars, not unless that main staircase was really important to me, but I saw the official Princess video on youtube.

It's my 20th anniversary and turning 50, I already decide this trip is going to be good. Again we don't always know what other factors are influencing the review, making them less useful. I might be the one coming back and saying the ship sank but thanked Princess for the open sea excursion to frolic with the sharks. Wait, that might be my DH with hopes of collecting the life insurance, which there is none:D

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Sailed her in November, and of course, saw all the negative commentary. Some was accurate, most not….for me. I loved the ship. The theater was just stunning. The food was great, plentiful, and tasty. While the ship has some plusses and minuses, it worked for me. I'd board again in a moment.

First, what is CC today, about 2 percent (even 5) of the crusing population. Even if everything posted here was true and factual, it might not make one bit of a different to your real on board experience. To get the most you need a very good BS filter, because we really don't know if people logging on have actually been on a cruise.

I get information from countless travel magazines and people who I know who have done a line or an itinerary. Ships are still a mode of transportation for me, so it's like asking what I use to judge a airline. Where it's going, the time it's leaving, why I am going, and finally can I afford it? Carnival for my anniversary is out, did RCL recently, been there, so Princess next, and luckily a different ship. I have confidence in the product so I know it will meet my basic expectation, without hearing what others say about theirs. Would I made the voice of such an insignificant number (2+ percent) influence my vacation decision and dollars, not unless that main staircase was really important to me, but I saw the official Princess video on youtube.

It's my 20th anniversary and turning 50, I already decide this trip is going to be good. Again we don't always know what other factors are influencing the review, making them less useful. I might be the one coming back and saying the ship sank but thanked Princess for the open sea excursion to frolic with the sharks. Wait, that might be my DH with hopes of collecting the life insurance, which there is none:D

Pauline

Are we on the same topic??

I think that I will trust the reviews on Cruise Critic until a better source comes along.

Are we on the same topic??

I think that I will trust the reviews on Cruise Critic until a better source comes along.

I don't and going on my 15th cruise never gave one serious consideration. I glance a few on the Royal for curiosity. I may read a few once I get back to see how their experience differed from mine. I don't need that much information about a ship, especially Princess. Other than the Royal, they are pretty much the same. The Princess experience is not going to be that much different, elegant ship, slower pace, serious Triva, food, waiting to see. My review is almost done. I can write my review of the Royal starting now.

As I entered the atrium it was all that I expected and more. The eyes followed the stairs endless as if to the heaven. The first minutes left me absolutely breathless. It was what I wanted, wished for, needed to greet me on my anniversary and my upcoming 50th birthday. I was there, on the Royal Princess and about to experience what so many have peed and whined about. I was lost in her beauty and quiet charm, everything I heard simply vanished. It was my time, my opportunity to experience this my way.

My reason for not reading reviews, I need to experience it, good or bad my way.The rest when I actually land on deck:D

Edited by Blk_Amish

I don't and going on my 15th cruise never gave one serious consideration. I glance a few on the Royal for curiosity. I may read a few once I get back to see how their experience differed from mine. I don't need that much information about a ship, especially Princess. Other than the Royal, they are pretty much the same. The Princess experience is not going to be that much different, elegant ship, slower pace, serious Triva, food, waiting to see. My review is almost done. I can write my review of the Royal starting now.

As I entered the atrium it was all that I expected and more. The eyes followed the stairs endless as if to the heaven. The first minutes left me absolutely breathless. It was what I wanted, wished for, needed to greet me on my anniversary and my upcoming 50th birthday. I was there, on the Royal Princess and about to experience what so many have peed and whined about. I was lost in her beauty and quiet charm, everything I heard simply vanished. It was my time, my opportunity to experience this my way.

My reason for not reading reviews, I need to experience it, good or bad my way.The rest when I actually land on deck:D

LOL.....You are on a roll......loving your posts.:D

[quote name=JimmyVWine;41279424

As for smaller balconies' date=' well, there really is no explanation for how a cruise line famous for its Caribe and Mini-Suite balconies thought that they could shrink those down and not have people notice. Or care. It's hard to imagine that in some design center somewhere, there wasn't a mock-up of the balcony where someone could have said: "You know....if we add 8 more inches to the width, people will actually be able to face the ocean." It's hard to imagine that a PCL executive looked over the mock-up, sat askew and shouted: "This is just what we wanted!" This one issue alone is probably responsible for at least half of the "I won't sail Royal again" reviews, even among people who otherwise loved the ship.[/quote]

I agree with most of your analysis in this post and all if it in your previous posts on this thread. However, I wonder if the balconies were made small so that they could not be used comfortably for a long period of time. (This would also explain the awful new chairs. We were able to make them comfortable only by using lots of rolled up towels.) People who are lounging on their balcony and, perhaps, reading are not spending money on drinks or specialty coffee. Perhaps they have even ordered a free pot of coffee and some cookies from room service. So how do you them out of the cabins and into the piazza to spend money? The blunt method would be to remove the balconies, but this wouldn't fly in the marketplace. The "subtle" method would be to provide a balcony "in name only." And just for good measure, make the cabins hot and stuffy.

Edited by Loreni

Hubby usually books due to price, and with Princess, we've been every new class since the Sun Princess in 1998. When a new ship is introduced, we've tried to be on it for the experience, thus the Golden, Grand, Caribbean, Star, Emerald (2x), Ruby (2x) and now the Royal.

Our sailing date was chosen because of a good sale, and we would be on the new ship-after we followed her progress for several months. And, we saw DMW1959's input, including sending us a photo with an arrow pointing to our cabin. :)

Were we disappointed? NO. We had a good cruise for US-no specialty restaurant reservations, or spa or Enclave or pools. The balcony was fine, too, and the chairs weren't overly uncomfortable. We ate in the Horizon Court most of the time.

During the last several years, we've tried HAL, Carnival and NCL (with friends) but have always returned to Princess. The Royal Princess was very nice and we would sail on her again. Now, we'll see if we set sail on the Regal. We'll see if there will be a sale during our prime cruising time. And, I will close by saying that we've never had a bad cruise.

Bon Voyage. Lynne

It seems a few don't like it for the exact reasons I booked it, it's not like all the rest. The things they missed, I never really noticed or care about. I would not use CC to be my main source of information.

I also always prefer to read reviews posted about ships by those who have been given a free cruise and make their living by writing about these cruises. A far more unbiased source then those who pay their own way. Wait I just realized that maybe why those posting negatively do so, could it be they are disappointed that they did not receive good value for their money?

Surprised you would inpune CC members by suggesting they are posting false reviews and have not cruised the ship as well as disparaging Cruise Critic in general.

I suggest you report it to the moderator.

Please report back on these items after your cruise as they have all been reported on in CC reviews and threads.

If I read reviews, it's to see if there is a pattern about something, and whether that item is important to me.

I read the reviews and there definitely seems to be a pattern to me.

1- No observation deck.

2- No central staircase.

3- Inadequate elevator capacity. The elevators that are there are small, and tend to break down with programing problems that Princess has failed to correct.

4- No full promenade.

5- No aft pool.

6- Reduced pool area, sq ft pp then Grand class.

7- Private cabanas took the best public space, arguments over sitting in front of cabanas.

8- Pax lining up at 7:30 am to book the sanctuary and access denied.

9- Only 7 Hot tubs - 1000 more passengers then Grand class with 7 to 8 tubs.

10-No free sauna & steam bath.

13 Reduced cabin size - Old Standard 215 sq ft. New Standard 181 sq ft,

New Deluxe 192 sq ft.

14- Reduced balcony size- majority not adequate for 2 pax let alone families or groups.

15- Poor sound insulation- Multiple reports of hearing adjoining cabin's TV through the wall.

16- No Adagio or any other bar with an amazing sea view. You see life boats from most venues.

17- Reduced / poor Dancing Facilities.

18- Stunning theater with unobstructed sight lines. Poor access to seats and due to row layout plus areas where seeing the whole stage is not possible.

19- the gym is used as a thoroughfare so a steady flow of pax through it.

The question asked was ... "Is Royal the worst rated ship on CC?"... seems there are worse but the list presented may highlight why it is competing for the title.

Edited by baldercash

I also always prefer to read reviews posted about ships by those who have been given a free cruise and make their living by writing about these cruises. A far more unbiased source then those who pay their own way. Wait I just realized that maybe why those posting negatively do so, could it be they are disappointed that they did not receive good value for their money?

Surprised you would inpune CC members by suggesting they are posting false reviews and have not cruised the ship as well as disparaging Cruise Critic in general.

I suggest you report it to the moderator.

Please report back on these items after your cruise as they have all been reported on in CC reviews and threads.

1- No observation deck.

2- No central staircase.

3- Inadequate elevator capacity. The elevators that are there are small, and tend to break down with programing problems that Princess has failed to correct.

4- No full promenade.

5- No aft pool.

6- Reduced pool area, sq ft pp then Grand class.

7- Private cabanas took the best public space, arguments over sitting in front of cabanas.

8- Pax lining up at 7:30 am to book the sanctuary and access denied.

9- Only 7 Hot tubs - 1000 more passengers then Grand class with 7 to 8 tubs.

10-No free sauna & steam bath.

13 Reduced cabin size - Old Standard 215 sq ft. New Standard 181 sq ft,

New Deluxe 192 sq ft.

14- Reduced balcony size- majority not adequate for 2 pax let alone families or groups.

15- Poor sound insulation- Multiple reports of hearing adjoining cabin's TV through the wall.

16- No Adagio or any other bar with an amazing sea view. You see life boats from most venues.

17- Reduced / poor Dancing Facilities.

18- Stunning theater with unobstructed sight lines. Poor access to seats and due to row layout plus areas where seeing the whole stage is not possible.

19- the gym is used as a thoroughfare so a steady flow of pax through it.

The question asked was ... "Is Royal the worst rated ship on CC?"... seems there are worse but the list presented may highlight why it is competing for the title.

If those patterns are important to you and will affect your vacation experience then this ship is not for you. I chose the ship because it's not like the others, all the reviews I glanced stated that. I did not read a review on Sapphire Princess or any of the other ships I sailed, nothing new for me. I did not regret the decision and I doubt I will do now. However if I do, then I did it with a clear mind, less your important list. I don't need the reviews to book partly a mode of transportation. If I wish to swim, I would much rather the beaches at the ports (3 islands with beautiful beaches) . I wanted a elegant ship, with breathtaking beauty and one that is different from the rest, I chose RP!

The negative reviews are from people's whose expectations weren't met (not always about money) which could be too high or unrealistic, as the good reviews could be from people whose were too low or celebrating 20th anniversary or 50th birthday. You kinda ruined my happy vibe with the dance floor post. Now you know why I didn't want to get caught up in the review:D

OH dear, now I strolled across the dance floor so alone. I am ready to drop it, move it, but the sound was not there. How I think of the last cruise on Carnival, where I moved across the dance floor to the sound of Blurred Lines:D

Edited by Blk_Amish

7- Private cabanas took the best public space, arguments over sitting in front of cabanas. I remember posters wondering if there would be such arguments, but I do not remember anybody posting there were any.

8- Pax lining up at 7:30 am to book the sanctuary and access denied. That's a problem on all Princess ships with a Sanctuary.

16- No Adagio or any other bar with an amazing sea view. You see life boats from most venues. The Adagio has no sea view, but does have a door to outside where one can see the view.

see above in red

I stayed away from the reviews and reports to give myself the chance to experience it new. Like the good old days when you go just hoping to have a great trip, your own discoveries. I think that pretty much ruined with a list of 19, so might as well go and read the full story of what was said in the reviews.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

by the bye... my friend was just on the Royal Princess and his favorite spot on the ship was the outside Promenade area. He also loves the Promenade on the other ships as a great place to sit and watch the sea but was positively ecstatic about the Royal's Promenade because... there was no steady stream of traffic tromping by. For him, it was the most relaxing place on the ship. :)