Baltimore cruises

Ken Greco

Not Baltimore, but from NY last December on Explorer over Christmas to the Bahamas. We left at 4:30 and it was cold until about mid-day the next day, at which point we were comfortable in shorts and short sleeves. The last day at sea of the return leg was similar in that we were off the decks that day.

If you are on Grandeur the solarium will probably be comfortable those days as the roof will be closed.

But the weather is hard to predict for sure so, depending on your departure date, I would have some winter-type clothes on hand - in particular if you want to be outside on the decks.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Those who have left from Baltimore in the late fall or the winter when were you able to sit outside after the ship left port? I will assume you would have to reach the Florida coast.

Until next week when we're leaving from Port Everglades on Indy, all of our cruises have been from either Baltimore or New York in the last five years.

That being said, what 'leaveitallbehind' said is accurate for this time of year. From November-February (the time we usually cruise from Baltimore or NY) it is colder until midday the second day of the cruise, meaning Saturday if you depart on Friday.

As the previous poster said, it depends a lot on the weather, but it usually warms up right off the Hatteras, NC, and is quite pleasant.

Baltimore and NY are great cruise ports to go out of and the day or so at the beginning and end with not-so-tropical weather shouldn't be something to sway you south. The first sea day you end up exploring the ship anyway, and the last, you spend the evening packing for arrival the next morning.

Enjoy!

We sailed out of Baltimore last February, couldn't really go outside until the second sea day- as someone posted.

Didn't matter much for us, as the storm really got to us, and we pretty much had to sleep through the entire first day. :o

We sailed out of Baltimore in December a couple of years ago. We were only cold the first and last days.

I concur..last month on the Pride..first and last day it was cold. The last day we pulled in to the snow storm..It was great! :D

I cruised out of Baltimore Nov 1st. We had an exceptionally warm day for sailing out. that evening was nice as well not too cool you could be out on deck without a sweater. The first sea day was warm enough to sit by the pool but was very rough sea wise.

Those who have left from Baltimore in the late fall or the winter when were you able to sit outside after the ship left port? I will assume you would have to reach the Florida coast.

Ist day will be cold. also the last night on board. possibly the first 2 and last 2. the pool deck will be empty.

Hard to tell with the weather around here. We've done a couple November cruises our of Baltimore & next week will do a January one out of Baltimore.

I guess that Florida is about when it warms up... I honestly don't recall. I must not have been miserable because I've repeated & plan to repeat a winter out of Baltimore cruise - which also means that it wasn't bad enough for me to decide "not to do that again."

If that made any sense.;)

Hard to tell with the weather around here. We've done a couple November cruises our of Baltimore & next week will do a January one out of Baltimore.

I guess that Florida is about when it warms up... I honestly don't recall. I must not have been miserable because I've repeated & plan to repeat a winter out of Baltimore cruise - which also means that it wasn't bad enough for me to decide "not to do that again."

If that made any sense.;)

all you need is to pack a shovel in the car and keep a pair of gloves in there too.. just in case...

We've cruised in Nov and Mar out of Baltimore and NJ. We've had somewhat warm weather and we've had cold weather. It's hard to tell exactly what the weather will be. We've been up on deck during sailaway and also done it from our balcony as the weather can be so variable. In general, it warms up quite a bit by the end of the first sea day but that is dependent on whether a cold front has made it's way down past VA, which it usually doesn't in Nov. We've also had at least one trip where it didnt' warm up til the second day and one where it was never really cold. Plan for it to be cool to cold til the middle of the second sea day and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cruised the 5th thru 14th of January. Like everyone said 1st and last day are a little cold and the muster drill is outside (or at least it was for us). Plus the walk from the terminal to the ship is outside but they have space heaters if I remember correctly. On board my wife and I found ourselves in the solarium were it was nice and toasty and not to busy cause most people were at the windjammer. The Park Cafe is there and was open so we grabbed a bite and took a relaxing dip.:)