Once you go on Allure/Oasis, is everything else a disappointment?

johnt83

Hey all,

I recently got off the Allure of the Seas in December and had an incredible time. The cruise was so much fun I still miss it daily, to the point where I see their webcam every now and then to see what people might be up to on the ship at any time during the day. I also look at videos and pics from my experience.

I've read/heard that once you go on Allure of the Seas (or Oasis of the Seas), any other ship you go on after will be somewhat of a disappointment - what are your thoughts on this? I do love the size of the ship and of the 5 cruises I've been on, this was my favorite one.

I am going on the Carnival Paradise in July with family members however that ship is so much smaller, will I be disappointed - or do you think it's something that I'll get used to? I love cruising so much it's hard to explain and it's hard for me to imagine not having a good time on a cruise.

I hope to join the ranks of you veteran cruisers as the years go by :) I'm also looking forward to having more of a presence in this wonderful cruising community.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hey all,

I recently got off the Allure of the Seas in December and had an incredible time. The cruise was so much fun I still miss it daily, to the point where I see their webcam every now and then to see what people might be up to on the ship at any time during the day. I also look at videos and pics from my experience.

I've read/heard that once you go on Allure of the Seas (or Oasis of the Seas), any other ship you go on after will be somewhat of a disappointment - what are your thoughts on this? I do love the size of the ship and of the 5 cruises I've been on, this was my favorite one.

I am going on the Carnival Paradise in July with family members however that ship is so much smaller, will I be disappointed - or do you think it's something that I'll get used to? I love cruising so much it's hard to explain and it's hard for me to imagine not having a good time on a cruise.

I hope to join the ranks of you veteran cruisers as the years go by :) I'm also looking forward to having more of a presence in this wonderful cruising community.

I hope not lol. We're going on Grandeur in a couple of months which is a small ship. We love cruising and actually thought Allure was too big. We had a good time, but we have no plans to book it again anytime soon.

It'll be nice to be on a smaller ship where we can relax and just enjoy being at sea.

Edited by BND

Just my opinion, but like most everything else, it is what you make out of it. Its still a vacation!

Cruise on a smaller/older/different brand ship or not at all because your very favorite ship doesn't fit your schedule or budget - seems like an easy answer to me.

But I cruise for the itinerary not the ship, the ship just gets me there.

You may also discount my opinion because I sail in inside cabins - I've heard that you also don't go back after having a suite. (I'd rather sail on a longer trip or more often than on a newer/fancier ship - or bigger more expensive room.)

I feel the same way... worried about upcoming Allure cruise... we've had so much fun on the Carnival Jubliee years ago, actually thinking of trying a small ship again (even though at that time, it was considered big, lol)!

Absolutely not! I cruised on the Oasis and then the Grandeur within a week of each other, then on the Liberty and Majesty later that year. I still enjoyed myself on all the cruises!!

Each cruise has it's own "thing." As far as I am concerned if I am on vacation I am happy!

I do recommend that people not make their first cruise ever on Oasis, Allure, or any other mega ship (Epic, Breakaway, Getaway). Your first experience will always stick with you.

Otherwise I think people will be happy with a cruise for the most part no matter how many gimmicks are onboard. I don't say that in a negative way, I do love the gimmicks!

Edited by smileyperry

I think it depends on a number of factors. DH and I have cruised on Adventure, Voyager, Freedom, Liberty, and are set to cruise on Allure next month. (We've also cruised on Celebrity Constellation and, before we met, I did a Princess cruises and he cruised a couple of times on NCL and HAL as a kid.)

If it were just the two of us, I think we'd be fine with cruising Voyager class, Radiance class, or some of the other lines' comparable ships. But the things that our kids totally love about cruising are primarily on the Freedom and Oasis-class ships (Dreamworks characters, rock wall, H2O zone, Cupcake Cupboard, etc). They'd probably be okay going back to Freedom-class after Allure, but anything other than that would not be as much fun for them.

Hey all,

My DH and I did a b2b on the allure for our honeymoon. It was the first time we had gone on an oasis class ship but we had many cruises under our belt on many different ships with royal at that point. After the trip was over we told each other that nothing would ever top it because of the WOW factor the first time you step onboard a ship like that and also because it was our honeymoon and that was super special in itself. We have gone on many cruises since then and have been anything but disappointed! Each ship is wonderful in its own way and you make special memories on each sailing that are unique to that trip. So while you may never have that OMG can we really be on a ship this big and incredible feeling again you still will have ur own wow factor associated with each cruise! Just wait until the quantum comes!

I think it depends on a number of factors. DH and I have cruised on Adventure, Voyager, Freedom, Liberty, and are set to cruise on Allure next month. (We've also cruised on Celebrity Constellation and, before we met, I did a Princess cruises and he cruised a couple of times on NCL and HAL as a kid.)

If it were just the two of us, I think we'd be fine with cruising Voyager class, Radiance class, or some of the other lines' comparable ships. But the things that our kids totally love about cruising are primarily on the Freedom and Oasis-class ships (Dreamworks characters, rock wall, H2O zone, Cupcake Cupboard, etc). They'd probably be okay going back to Freedom-class after Allure, but anything other than that would not be as much fun for them.

Maybe because my son is only 5, but he is about to go on his 5th cruise all of them have been on smaller ships (Carnival Pride & HAL Volendam) & he had fun.

Also our high school intern in the office went on the Pride before we did & said that there were plenty teens & they all had fun.

Quite possibly even your husband had fun on NCL & HAL in his childhood as well otherwise he may have nixed the cruise vacation idea all together.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it, and it makes me feel good knowing that each cruise ship will have its own "special moment". While none of them will compare to what the Allure was, it'll still be a blast! Oh I miss the Allure so much, why couldn't I just stay on it? lol

I think it's so cool to see some folks do the b2b on Allure/Oasis! One week Eastern and the next week Western! Must try that one day. I'm super excited to see the Quantum when it comes out, oh and the 3rd Oasis-class ship in a few years :D

It appears Allure was the OP's first Royal Caribbean cruise as well so maybe part of what he liked was the Royal Wow and going back to another line will be a disappointment, no so much for the ship size but the overall experience. For DH and me, Allure was a nice experience but we've gone back to smaller ships and don't miss her one bit. We don't have kids so that may have some influence on our preferences as well.

It appears Allure was the OP's first Royal Caribbean cruise as well so maybe part of what he liked was the Royal Wow and going back to another line will be a disappointment, no so much for the ship size but the overall experience. For DH and me, Allure was a nice experience but we've gone back to smaller ships and don't miss her one bit. We don't have kids so that may have some influence on our preferences as well.

You're right, Allure was my first Royal experience. I'm only going on Carnival since my sister lives in Tampa and it made the most sense to depart out of there. Surprisingly, they've yet to go on a cruise!! Are they in for a treat!

I can totally see the difference in overall experience between my 2 cruises on Carnival, 2 on NCL and the one on Royal. My favorite one was Royal followed by my Pearl cruise in January 2013. I know I'll be going back on Royal one day :) While Carnival won't be the same, I'm thinking it'll still be a fun, yet different experience. Cheers.

We have easily gone back to Voyager and Freedom class ships between Oasis/Allure sailings. All of the ships have things we enjoy. And some things I like better on the older classes of ships. The key is to enjoy the amenities of the ship that you are on and don't be wishing you had something available to you that is on another ship. For example, I love the Aqua Theater on Oasis/Allure and the shows there. But when we are on one of the other ships I don't keep thinking about it and getting disappointed that there are no water shows. Just make the most of which ever ship you happen to be on.

We were on Allure in May, in a Grand Suite :) Fabulous vacation and I loved every minute, especially the entertainment.

Last month, three of of did the Celebrity Sillhouette transatlantic in a regular balcony cabin (squish) and we I enjoyed the cruise, every bit as much. Think it is the fact that all the people on board are on vacation and so happy. Great people, great vacation!

We did the Oasis a few years ago, then did the Explorer. I had never been on the Explorer. I must say, we had a blast! We met some of the most wonderful staff, bartenders, etc on that ship!

I think you can still have a great time regardless.

:p

Maybe because my son is only 5, but he is about to go on his 5th cruise all of them have been on smaller ships (Carnival Pride & HAL Volendam) & he had fun.

Oh, I'm totally sure that if my kids had gone on smaller ships first they would have really enjoyed them. We were probably foolish to start them off on such megaships as the Freedom and the Liberty...makes them hard to impress after that!

after Allure/Oasis, I'm looking forward to checking out Quantum/Anthem

Hi Bubbles, haven't seen you around lately. How are the kitties down at the trailer park? All joking aside where in Minnesota are you? I have travelled the northern parts from Duluth to Grand Forks on a few occasions.

I am interested in Quantum and Anthem, but not till they sailed out of somewhere warmer.

Hi Bubbles, haven't seen you around lately. How are the kitties down at the trailer park? All joking aside where in Minnesota are you? I have travelled the northern parts from Duluth to Grand Forks on a few occasions.

I am interested in Quantum and Anthem, but not till they sailed out of somewhere warmer.

The kitties should be good - they have food mountain to keep them going for awhile... just as long as Lahey doesn't get liquored up and board up the kitty door on my shed.

I'm just north (15 minutes) of the Twin Cities - We've enjoyed multiple (sold-out) TPB shows when they come to town.. Cant wait for Season 8!

Isn't Quantum/Anthem always going to be coming out of New Jersey? They have a 11 night Eastern Caribbean cruise in Feb 2015 that looks pretty decent..

The kitties should be good - they have food mountain to keep them going for awhile... just as long as Lahey doesn't get liquored up and board up the kitty door on my shed.

I'm just north (15 minutes) of the Twin Cities - We've enjoyed multiple (sold-out) TPB shows when they come to town.. Cant wait for Season 8!

Isn't Quantum/Anthem always going to be coming out of New Jersey? They have a 11 night Eastern Caribbean cruise in Feb 2015 that looks pretty decent..

I have seen them once 3 years ago and it was pretty funny. You are correct about Jersey. I secretly hope they locate one to FL, so I can start my holiday somewhere warm during the winter months. Otherwise, I will need to wait for a summer sailing.

Stay warm and keep the kitties safe. Hopefully you have sold/returned some carts to help pay for your upcoming cruise.:p

You're right, Allure was my first Royal experience. I'm only going on Carnival since my sister lives in Tampa and it made the most sense to depart out of there. Surprisingly, they've yet to go on a cruise!! Are they in for a treat!

I can totally see the difference in overall experience between my 2 cruises on Carnival, 2 on NCL and the one on Royal. My favorite one was Royal followed by my Pearl cruise in January 2013. I know I'll be going back on Royal one day :) While Carnival won't be the same, I'm thinking it'll still be a fun, yet different experience. Cheers.

I think the most important thing not to do is to compare ships when you go on the Carnival cruise. Enjoy it for what it is and if you catch yourself thinking or saying, (on Royal this or on Royal they do that), stop yourself because you could ruin your trip by not giving it a fair chance.

We did Carnival Dream after the Allure. While the Allure was, hands down, a superior experience, we had an absolutely wonderful time on the Dream.

The secret is to go with REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. You can't go on a Carnival ship expecting the Oasis/Allure. Feel free to read my two reviews (links in my signature). Hope it helps you know what to expect from a Carnival cruise after sailing on the largest ships in the world.

Edited by Tapi