20+ Cruises and Now My 1st Inside!

helen haywood

[quote name='Happy Cruiser 6143'][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]In my experience, this is not true. We upgraded from an ordinary balcony cabin to an AQ1 which was priced [B]LESS[/B] than we had paid for the ordinary balcony cabin.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well, that sounds like Celebrity being consistent as usual!

[quote name='Lois R']....... I usually
fall asleep with the tv on (that is just me) and that stays the same
whether I am in a balcony or an inside cabin.
[/quote]It is definitely not just you, Lois. I fall asleep with the tv on at home too, as do many others. :D

[quote name='C Cruise Dude']Remember to bring a nightlite.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

A night light is a must or at the very least you can bring some of those electric tea light candles and place them around the room. My wife brought some on our last cruise and it really created a nice ambiance. Like others leaving the tv tuned to the webcam was our window in the morning. We only sailed once in a balcony on Princess. We were in the Caribbean so during the day the drapes were drawn as well as at night. We didn't spend any time in the room during the day as it was an itinerary with only one sea day. Every time we walked into the room the drapes were drawn so it was like being in a interior anyway. We prefer to book obstructed view rooms but I wouldn't hesitate to book an interior again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='BeachBum777']Inside is for the broke
Save your money any experienced knows the truth[/QUOTE]

I believe my $4,000 price difference for a balcony would buy about 4 of your last cruise :rolleyes: those that stick to cheap western Carribean cruises may not want to speak about "cheap" Edited by Cruise Junky

We have done a few insides and for sure balconies are very nice, but we did a New England cruise and the balcony was not worth it.

Now if you told me I could sail four 7 day sailings or one 7 day balcony cruise, I would have to think about it. For sure, there are more costs associated with 4 separate cruises, but I spend 90% of awake time not in my cabin.

I do love to wake up and go out on balcony and for sure, one of last things I do, is go out an look at stars (hopefully :) see them).

One other point, the inside cabin for most part, if not always besides no view, is smaller in square footage.

We prefer balconies and that is our goal, but not an absolute. Edited by shipshape sam

[quote name='shipshape sam']
One other point, the inside cabin for most part, if not always besides no view, is smaller in square footage.

.[/quote]

Where are you getting your information? On S class ships, insides are the same size as balcony cabins.

[quote name='CathyCruises']Where are you getting your information? On S class ships, insides are the same size as balcony cabins.[/QUOTE]

My information is from my experiences and I did not say every inside was smaller than every balcony cabin as that is not true AS there are differences in balcony cabin sizes too, so I think it would be tough to make the statement that all inside cabins are as large as all balcony cabins. Nor was I specifically limiting my comment to S class ships.

I will check, but it sounds like you are saying all balcony cabins on S class are the same square footage and none are larger than an inside cabin. Edited by shipshape sam

[quote name='CathyCruises']Where are you getting your information? On S class ships, insides are the same size as balcony cabins.[/QUOTE]

Just checked on cabin sizes on Reflection

inside cabin 3172 (showing cabin size 183 - 200 SF)

veranda cabin 6209 (showing cabin size 194 SF)

I booked a starboard balcony on a CAN/NE cruise knowing that coming back to NYC that we would see a lot of lighthouses. We did see a lot of light houses and colorful lobster bouys. BEST balcony ever.

Half of our cruises have been insides. Never felt like we were in steerage class.

Another senior citizen couple who are adamant fans of inside cabins. These days, we could certainly afford to book higher end accommodations, but see no reason for it. In fact, we nearly always book an inside guaranty. 15+ cruises and we upgrade only for an incentive (like celebrity's 123Go package that required a minimum of an assigned OV.)

One tip: Download one of the many free flashlight apps on your smartphone. Look for the ones that use the flash on the camera for super bright light. Put the app icon on your home page.

This app stays on my phone all the time now, for use in strange hotel rooms and even at home during power failures. Priceless.

And the smartphone is our alarm clock, too! Travel light and be happy. (We don't check luggage either. Carry on, even for cruises of 21 days!)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app Edited by jkgourmet

[quote name='jkgourmet']Another senior citizen couple who are adamant fans of inside cabins. These days, we could certainly afford to book higher end accommodations, but see no reason for it. In fact, we nearly always book an inside guaranty. 15+ cruises and we upgrade only for an incentive (like celebrity's 123Go package that required a minimum of an assigned OV.)

One tip: Download one of the many free flashlight apps on your smartphone. Look for the ones that use the flash on the camera for super bright light. Put the app icon on your home page.

This app stays on my phone all the time now, for use in strange hotel rooms and even at home during power failures. Priceless.

And the smartphone is our alarm clock, too! Travel light and be happy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Like it or not there are 3 distinct
Classes of cruisers.

FULL SIZE SUITE
BALCONY/MINI SUITE
INSIDE

Those with the grand piano separate shower and tub are thinking they could never stay in what I book for the four of us in mini suites each cruise.

Bringing my Father and mother in law both handicapped has also spoiled us on double the square footage ( 300 to 400 sq feet ) not to mention the 6 x 6 shower. Essentially mid range larger mini suites. No I could not stay in an inside.

BTW I rarely use the balcony
It's the fact I'm not surrounded by four walls in a shoe box.

[quote name='BeachBum777']Like it or not there are 3 distinct
Classes of cruisers.

FULL SIZE SUITE
BALCONY/MINI SUITE
INSIDE

[/quote]

Dude, they're cabins, not cruisers. This is the point you fail to understand. Being in an inside does not make you a different class. Being rude and arrogant does.

[quote name='BeachBum777']
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/uty6y4y2.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

You take mainly Caribbean cruises..They're cheap. There's really not that much difference between an inside and a balcony, couple of hundred bucks. Now go check out that difference on a high end line in Europe. HUGE difference.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']Dude, they're cabins, not cruisers. This is the point you fail to understand. Being in an inside does not make you a different class. Being rude and arrogant does.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

As to size, for me, since I am the OP who is experimenting with an inside for the first time, the ship is Celebrity Infinity and her inside cabins are the same size as oceanview and regular balcony cabins. Concierge Class is slightly larger.

As to price, even though this is a "cheap" Caribbean cruise, the price for an ocean view cabin would be $ 775 more and a balcony would be $1356 more, almost exactly double my inside.

I recently did a trans-atlantic cruise and while I would have thought we'd use the balcony, in fact we got up, dressed and left the cabin in the mornings and stayed out all day and went to bars or shows in the evenings and only came back to the cabin to go to sleep.

To each, of course, their own decision. But it wasn't worth it for me to pay more for an ocean view or a balcony on the Infinity cruise.

[quote name='helen haywood']As to size, for me, since I am the OP who is experimenting with an inside for the first time, the ship is Celebrity Infinity and her inside cabins are the same size as oceanview and regular balcony cabins. Concierge Class is slightly larger.

As to price, even though this is a "cheap" Caribbean cruise, the price for an ocean view cabin would be $ 775 more and a balcony would be $1356 more, almost exactly double my inside.

I recently did a trans-atlantic cruise and while I would have thought we'd use the balcony, in fact we got up, dressed and left the cabin in the mornings and stayed out all day and went to bars or shows in the evenings and only came back to the cabin to go to sleep.

To each, of course, their own decision. But it wasn't worth it for me to pay more for an ocean view or a balcony on the Infinity cruise.[/QUOTE]

We have sailed Infinity 3 times and I have many fond memories of sailing her.

I think I would advise anyone to try an inside cabin at least once, then you can make the personal preference as to cabin type based on your own experience and preferences.

For me, the cabin is not the cruise. The overall service, the itinerary, the entertainment, the others traveling with us or who we meet, the food experience and for me, the views of the sky/ocean from all around the ship. My favorite is aft enjoying the wake and my iPod listening to my 'Caribbean Breeze' music and a beer close by.

Have a GREAT cruise! :)

Thanks for the post! We sailed Infinity once in Alaska. But all I remember from that cruise was being blown away by the beauty of Alaska; alas, nothing stands out regarding Infinity! But I do remember being really impressed by Celebrity; it was our first cruise with them and I enjoyed it so much we followed it up a few months later with a 4 day cruise on Mercury.

[quote name='shipshape sam']I think I would advise anyone to try an inside cabin at least once, then you can make the personal preference as to cabin type based on your own experience and preferences. [/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I agree, but would add to try it out on a very short cruise first.

Or make friends with someone in an inside cabin and ask if you can try it for at least a half hour or so, just sitting in there quietly with the door closed and no distractions to see if it bothers you.

Some people are unaware that they have mild claustrophobic tendencies until they are enclosed in an inside cabin with the door closed for an extended period of time.
Being in there for only a few minutes with distractions, such as on a cabin crawl, or going in to use a bathroom, is not enough time for most to find out.

Those who have severe claustrophobia will know right away and want to get out of there.
But someone with mild claustrophobia would only start to feel somewhat uncomfortable after being in there for a while, and even then may not realize why.

[/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by varoo

[quote name='varoo'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I agree, but would add to try it out on a very short cruise first.

Or make friends with someone in an inside cabin and ask if you can try it for at least a half hour or so, just sitting in there quietly with the door closed and no distractions to see if it bothers you.

Some people are unaware that they have mild claustrophobic tendencies until they are enclosed in an inside cabin with the door closed for an extended period of time.
Being in there for only a few minutes with distractions, such as on a cabin crawl, or going in to use a bathroom, is not enough time for most to find out.

Those who have severe claustrophobia will know right away and want to get out of there.
But someone with mild claustrophobia would only start to feel somewhat uncomfortable after being in there for a while, and even then may not realize why.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Would agree a shorter cruise would be better to see if you like or can handle an inside cabin. Our first one was a 7 day cruise on Carnival Glory. We did a 6 day inside cabin on Independence of the Sea in December. It was so cheap, like $55/day/person. And we had a great cruise!

I cannot identify with being claustrophobic. We did like the darkness, although I bring duct tape to cover the TV power light for DW. Somewhere I read about turning on TV to the bow camera. That would be a good idea I think. Also, I read that I think it is Royal Caribbean is going to have fake windows in Quantum inside rooms with, I guess, TV or something to show outside. Maybe a portal cam, so it is like having an OV cabin.

If that works and provides the sensation of looking out a window with the knowledge that it is actually a live and current view/video feed from the ship, that would be pretty neat.

After over 60 cruises we are really over the “I need to have my morning coffee on the balcony” and took an inside on a recent short cruise this past February. It was just fine. The cabin was about the same size of an OV or smaller balcony cabin and we had plenty of storage. I am happy we took the cabin and now consider it an additional option for shorter cruises.

If I only had the option of an inside, regardless of cruise length, I would jump at the inside.

We like to get up early, with the sun, and some lines have a TV channel that is the camera at the front of the ship. We turned it on at night ( it was dark) and as the sun came up, the screen brightened and woke us up.

OP - enjoy

m